Just bought a 360, need some help/recommendations.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

So I just bought a brand new 4GB 360 for a clean $100, I don't plan on needing more than the 4GB and a 16GB USB stick. This is my first Xbox purchase so I'm new to the ecosystem and have some quick fire questions for all you experts so please voice your opinions or tell me the facts.

1. Can I run XBLA games off a USB stick? Also will any USB stick work and can I format it as soon as I pop it in the Xbox?

2. Is Gold worth it if this is just going to be an Xbox exclusive machine? I plan on still using my PS3 and PC for third party titles.

3. What cheap Xbox exclusives do you recommend?

4. Have any Xbox 360 slim models broken down on you guys yet? Basically, should I get the extended warranty?

5. Can multiple users play games purchased on the "main" account?

Any general tips would be greatly appreciated as well.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By GeekDown

The only one of these questions that I have an answer for is that you should buy Trials Evolution. One of the few exclusives this year, but it's amazing. 1200 points is a steal for that game. BUY IT!

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By iam3green

yes, you can run arcade games off the USB. i do think you can use any USB just there's a limit on how big it is. the 360 will take the amount of memory they put a limit on.

i don't think so. i don't pay for gold as i have a ps3 and pc to play games online.

i've never heard of the slim braking yet.

no, the stuff that you bought on the account stays on that account. friend and i tried it. the 360 acted like the DLC, games, weren't on the account that didn't have it.

some exclusives halo 4 is coming out. i like the forza series. it's a racing "sim". they're coming out with a new one just it won't be made by the same people that made the other forza games.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Shabs

1. Yes (though USB will be slower than HDD). You do have to format it with the Xbox.

2. Probably not. (Coming from someone who has paid for Gold since Gears 1 came out.)

5. Purchases are tied to the account you purchased from + the console so anyone using the same console should be able to use purchased content. I'm not sure if purchasing and downloading it to the USB stick is different from the HDD in terms of how it determines your console. If your console dies for some reason, you'll lose the console association - there is a process to fix this that can be used once per year and requires you to redownload content.

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hughesman

3. Halo , Gears and Forza are all great series and should be dirt cheap at this point.

5.Games are tied to an account and a console. For instance, my wife can play any of the games i download through my account on her account (on the system that had the original download) as well.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

1) My friend used to play demos off of a USB stick, so probably but I am not certain. I have yet to find a USB stick that won't work but I don't think it supports any more than 16GB.

2) Halo is an incredibly fun game to play online - but no, not if you've already got the generous plethora of free multiplayer that PC and PS3 offers.

3) Halo 3, Gears of War 2, Project Gotham Racing 4, and Forza Motorsport. If Fable 2 wasn't ported to the PC, then that I guess.

4) I don't know, but the Slim 360's are supposed to be much better built so I wouldn't worry.

5) Yes. As long as the profile that bought it is still present on the 360, then any profile can play any digital game.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Zippedbinders

1. Yep

2. Nope, I don't think Gold is worth it, so I don't pay for it.

3. Geometry Wars and a whole mess of stuff on XBLA, Nuts and Bolts, Viva Pinata, Halo 3 and ODST are under $10 used, Gears 2 GOTY should be under $20 by now. All I can think of off the top of my head.

4. I have an older style 360, I've had 2 red rings that were replaced by MS, so I'm on my 3rd "phat"

5. Yes, even for downloaded profiles as long as its on the same system.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By OldGuy

3) Shadow Complex.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PillClinton

@OldGuy said:

3) Shadow Complex.

and the requisite Halo, Gears, Forza.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also Fez, Dust and maybe Crackdown.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By laserbolts

If you love competitive multiplayer then the best multiplayer on a console right now is gears 3 so maybe gold is worth it? Halo multiplayer is alot of fun as well.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@msavo: You should be able to play most games purchased on that CONSOLE, but often the restrictions are different. If it's not the console of purchase, then the owner has to be logged in, but you can still play splitscreen usually with a different account.

Also, if there are any exclusives you wanna play multiplayer with/any services on XBL you wanna use that require gold, it's worth it. It's not that expensive as long as you pay for it in annual chunks.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By beargirl1

whatever you do, buy Earth Defense Force 2017. it's cheap, entertaining and a whole lot of fun. even more fun if you have a co-op buddy to play with.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By DeF

@msavo said:

2. Is Gold worth it if this is just going to be an Xbox exclusive machine? I plan on still using my PS3 and PC for third party titles.

Save yourself the 50 bucks a year. Seriously, it makes no sense if you have both a PC and a PS3. Unless you really wanna play Halo, Gears of Forza online, it's just crazy to spend the money on that.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Nate

@msavo:

2. I got rid of XBL Gold. My PS3 and PC are good enough for what I need. Here are the reasons I'd consider it:

A) If you really want to play Gears of War or Halo Games online (or other XBL exclusives).

B) If you have friends on XBL you want to play online with.

C) You are picky about having a really smooth online gaming experience. I think XBL has better integration with friends list, and a lot games just have smoother online experiences on XBL.

For me, on a budget, it didn't really make sense any more. I watch netflix on PS3 and the online games I do play (I like me some Demon's souls and Assassin's Creed once in a while) the PS3 is totally fine. I do, however, miss the occasional XBL arcade game sale. Got Limbo on sale last year, etc. The deal of the week is exclusive to Gold members.

3. Forza! Love those games. Halo ODST was one I enjoyed, and it's really cheap now. Even though I got my 360 before the ps3, I definitely like the PS3 exclusives a lot more overall. Lots of XBL arcade games: Shadow complex, Bastion, Braid (I guess a couple of those are on PC too, but they are great).

4. Don't bother with the warranty. They don't have nearly as many problems as they used to. Statistically speaking, it's easily worth the risk to not go with a warranty.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Karl_Boss

2. If a lot of your friends play on Xbox then yes, otherwise in you situation I would say no.

3. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey if you like JRPG's.....Gears of War 1 and 2 are cheap and a lot of fun too.

4. My Xbox Slim has been running just fine, no problems.....so I wouldn't waste the money on the extended warranty.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the love of god, play Viva Pinata. Halo ODST is also the best Halo on the Xbox so far so play that.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Yeah

2. It's worth it if you have friends to talk to. Plus you get the most out of games like Halo and Gears.

3. Halo 3, Crackdown 1 and 2, Kameo.

4. I'm still using my white 360 I got like four years ago so no.

5. Yeah, and some games like Halo and Gears have the guest feature so they can play online with you.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By penguindust

If you have friends who own PS3s or PCs and you can play online with them there (assuming you want to play online at all), then no Gold is not worth it. I had Gold for many years and cancelled it a year ago and I don't miss it for a second. There are other means to achieve the same connectivity.

Halo Reach is an exceptional shooter. If you haven't played Bayonetta on the PS3, then pick up the Xbox version since it's the better copy. The first Crackdown was a lot of fun, but it might have lost some of its charm since Saints Row the Third upped the ante for open world mayhem. Finally, I am not ashamed to admit I like Dead or Alive games.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RE_Player1

Thanks for the suggestions. So far it looks like this will be a Rare box for awhile as I got all the Banjos and Viva Piñata. I kind of want to get Perfect Dark Zero too because I hate myself.