KOTOR Virgin: Worth a Shot?

GoldenGreek117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GoldenGreek117

Posted this over on the 1up forums and wanted to see what people thought. It's kinda mixed. What do you think?

I saw KOTOR (xbox) at EB games the other day for ten bucks. I've heard great things. It's from Bioware which is good because  I loved Mass Effect.

Have never even played the game once. How does the game age. After 5 years is it worth it? Has Mass Effect done  things better? 
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

If you like mass effect, and can put up with a slower combat system, go for it.

Yoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Yoda

I love the game, probably one of my favorite of all time.. the combat is kind of turned based in a way, but i dont like turn based games, but really enjoyed this.. I Highly suggest you buy it especially for that price.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By thebeast

You definitely shouldn't miss KOTOR - one of my favourite games of all time.
It has a great story, great combat system, great locations and it leaves you with a great feeling after playing it.
Well worth it for that price too!

Avatar image for antonysmithlive
AntonySmithLive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By AntonySmithLive

It's really a great game. I think it's a must play even if you don't like star wars.

I only played KOTOR for the first time last year, and it still holds up. I say give it a shot, i think you'll love it!

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By suneku

Definitely play it.... the game might feel outdated (a lot more glitches and slower) after playing Mass Effect... but the it really is a great game.

Schizoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Schizoid

Do it. Do it all night.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Systech

Yes. Knights of the Old Republic is one of my favorite games ever made. Buy it now.

stAtic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By stAtic

You should definitely go for it. KOTOR is my favorite RPG.

Schadenfreude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Schadenfreude

It could really be hit or miss for you. I tried it a few weeks ago and found the battle system to be clunky and outdated.

absinthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By absinthetic

why not?

its relatively cheap now if you can find it

Pikmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pikmin
Schadenfreude said:
"It could really be hit or miss for you. I tried it a few weeks ago and found the battle system to be clunky and outdated.
"
I tried it about a week ago and thought the same.

Also, I heard it's buggy when you play it on the 360.  So I guess it has BC issues.
MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

Unless your crazy into Star Wars i'd go with Mass Effect simply because it perfect some of the bugginess within KOTOR. Still, for ten bucks I'd probably pick up and play KOTOR as well!

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By A Likely Story

I've been wanting to give KOTOR a shot for a while. People go crazy when I say I haven't ever played one before.

But it's turn based, right? I'm really not into turn based games, but I'll go ahead and see how it is.

Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Apollo

Probably one of the best games i've ever played.

So much so that i started playing it again about 5 hours ago...

GoldenGreek117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GoldenGreek117

Thanks guys. I intend  to pick it up and let you know what I think.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Systech
Hobbies said:
"I've been wanting to give KOTOR a shot for a while. People go crazy when I say I haven't ever played one before.

But it's turn based, right? I'm really not into turn based games, but I'll go ahead and see how it is."
Nope, it isn't turn-based. If you could imagine the combat from World of Warcraft, it's kind of like that.
A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By A Likely Story
systech said:
"Hobbies said:
"I've been wanting to give KOTOR a shot for a while. People go crazy when I say I haven't ever played one before.

But it's turn based, right? I'm really not into turn based games, but I'll go ahead and see how it is."
Nope, it isn't turn-based. If you could imagine the combat from World of Warcraft, it's kind of like that.
"
Odd, I was told by someone it was turn based in a sense. I've never played World of Warcraft, but I've got a rough idea of how the combat works. Thanks. :)
nubsway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nubsway

I have never played it but if i ever sall it cheap somewhere I will consider.

BigbyWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BigbyWolf

It's not turnbased, but it has an autopause function that allows you to take your time and line up attacks.

You should definately get it.  It was my favorite game the last generation, and it's not really complicated for being a d20/d&d game.

KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By KuribosShoe

oh yes.  play this game now.

Vermouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vermouth

I'd highly reccomend KOTOR to anyone as it's just fantastic. 

Technically speaking it is turn based.  However those turns are seemless and there's no stop in the action in between those turns unless you set up the auto pause to create a break in the action for something.  You can pause and issue orders at any time, otherwise the turns run by as if it were taking place in Real time.

Lairdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lairdo

Its my favourite game of all time, that answer your question?

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By A Likely Story

Ah, ok. That doesn't sound bad at all. Hopefully I'll be able to find both KOTORs for cheap somewhere, or at least for rent.

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By donwoogie
GoldenGreek117 said:
"Posted this over on the 1up forums and wanted to see what people thought. It's kinda mixed. What do you think?

I saw KOTOR (xbox) at EB games the other day for ten bucks. I've heard great things. It's from Bioware which is good because  I loved Mass Effect.

Have never even played the game once. How does the game age. After 5 years is it worth it? Has Mass Effect done  things better? 
"
Just finished this game again for the umpteenth time.  I also recommended this to a friend who had never played it before about two weeks ago and he has burned through both.  Thing is, the first time he gave it a shot, he just dropped it after half an hour because it was too dated for him.  The key was when I made a bet with him and, because he lost, his forfeit was that he had to endure the game for an hour so that he had completed the first planet and half of the second one.  By that point, he was hooked because, by then, the gripping story has its hooks in you and you can't shake it loose.  I give the same advice to you.  Fight through the first planet and half of the second one.  Not only does the story get you, but when you finally get your lightsabre, the game just takes a turn at the corner of wicked and sick :P
Vermouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vermouth

Hobbies said:

"Ah, ok. That doesn't sound bad at all. Hopefully I'll be able to find both KOTORs for cheap somewhere, or at least for rent.
"
I wouldn't bother with the second one unless you go bananas enjoying the first one.  Lucas Arts pushed it out so severely unfinished that it is a much lesser game and deeply flawed.  I did ultimately enjoy it but it's a very qualified recommendation by comparison to the first game which was just amazing and remains that way on subsequent playthroughs.
harrydemeanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By harrydemeanor

Easily one of the best RPGs I have ever played. Grab the game and enjoy it.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By breadfan

Definitly pick it up.  I just played through it again about a month ago and it still holds up

BigbyWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BigbyWolf
Hobbies said:
"Ah, ok. That doesn't sound bad at all. Hopefully I'll be able to find both KOTORs for cheap somewhere, or at least for rent.
"

I'd recommend getting KOTOR2 for PC.  The game is quite buggy and unifinished (damn you LucasArt!), but there is a mod-team working on a fan patch that is soon to be released. 

Google Team Gizka.  They've been working for 3 years on it now, and it seems there will be a public release soon, judging by the progress page.
Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hulk

Hulk not a very big Star Wars fan but Hulk really like KOTOR and even the sequel.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Lies

Definitely worth a try. Mass Effect was a huge step ahead of KOTOR in combat, but it honestly felt a little backwards with regards to dialogue and quests. Pretty much if you take the Citadel in ME and multiply it over four worlds, with increased party interaction, you'll have a decent idea of KOTOR. The combat, however, is less than superb. But everything else is amazing, and definitely worth checking out.

P.S. SAVE OFTEN. That game is really buggy, and it's not rare to end up glitched out so bad you can't continue. But for ten bucks, definitely pick it up.

Mongoose23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mongoose23

PLAY IT!!!!
i love both KOTOR games im on my 9th playthrough on the first one, and im on my 7th play through on the second one
i like the second one better but there both still great games

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By RVonE

KOTOR is one of the best RPGs out there, if you ask me. It is definitely worth your money.

Roybot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Roybot

Didn't the xbox version have a TON of issues? I'm sure you can get it just as cheap for the PC.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By Karmum

I never played KOTR, but I love KOTR2. I gotta check out KOTR 1 sometime.

BigbyWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BigbyWolf
Lies said:
"Definitely worth a try. Mass Effect was a huge step ahead of KOTOR in combat, but it honestly felt a little backwards with regards to dialogue and quests. Pretty much if you take the Citadel in ME and multiply it over four worlds, with increased party interaction, you'll have a decent idea of KOTOR. The combat, however, is less than superb. But everything else is amazing, and definitely worth checking out.

P.S. SAVE OFTEN. That game is really buggy, and it's not rare to end up glitched out so bad you can't continue. But for ten bucks, definitely pick it up.
"

I disagree.  ME lacks the strategic depth that KOTOR has.  ME has real-time shooting, grenades, biotics, and only one controllable character; while KOTOR has three controllable characters, force powers that are way deeper than biotics, an assortment of grenades that actually make a difference, different stims and shields to buff your character, and a pseudo-turnbased gameplay.

Though neither of them holds up to the combat system in Infinity games, KOTOR encourages more strategy than ME, in my opinion.