LA Podfest Podcast Download?

stinky51012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Was there ever a stream, download, mp3, or other way to listen to them from this event? Never heard anything after the fact. Thanks guys!

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The guys will put it up after 30 days. Pretty sure it will be a mp3.

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wikitoups: After 30 days? Can I throw down like 5 bucks for the dl? Was it good enough to put money down for? All of this LA trip seems to be weird.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

@billymaysrip: I love GB truly I do, but no, it was not worth it. Maybe the only time I've felt that way! When it comes to GB and money I mean.

It's a very mediocore 2 hours so far as GB podcasts go. Interesting experiment but I dunno if the crowd was just not right or the guys were nervous or what, but yeah. Don't worry. You'll see it in 30 days and it's pretty aiiiight. No biggie.

And yeah I think there will be an audio file after 30 days cuz LA Podfest got that locked down.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll wait 30 days. I've got a few months of old Ryan bombcasts to listen to while at work

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anybody else have trouble with the LA Podfest site Saturday? I was trying to pay for the stream that day and I couldn't get the site to load at all. Did they get DDoS'd or something?

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ghost_cat

@geraltitude said:

@billymaysrip: I love GB truly I do, but no, it was not worth it. Maybe the only time I've felt that way! When it comes to GB and money I mean.

It's a very mediocore 2 hours so far as GB podcasts go. Interesting experiment but I dunno if the crowd was just not right or the guys were nervous or what, but yeah. Don't worry. You'll see it in 30 days and it's pretty aiiiight. No biggie.

And yeah I think there will be an audio file after 30 days cuz LA Podfest got that locked down.

I got to know @geraltitude what you thoughts were (in detail) on why you thought it was mediocre. I didn't get to go (I live in Texas), but I was really curious about their podcast at the show because I figured it would be a whole different crowd and environment for the GB squad.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

@original_hank: Friday night got a lot more traffic than they expected, so they switched to a better server, but they messed up and the https version of the site didn't work.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By personandstuff

@geraltitude: I was in the crowd and I really enjoyed it.

A smaller crowd than they normally have at a PAX but everyone in the crowd was definitely on the Giant Bomb train. The thirty day restriction apparently does not apply to some podcasts because Doug Benson's live shows are already up in audio form.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By cornbredx

@ghost_cat said:
@geraltitude said:

I got to know @geraltitude what you thoughts were (in detail) on why you thought it was mediocre. I didn't get to go (I live in Texas), but I was really curious about their podcast at the show because I figured it would be a whole different crowd and environment for the GB squad.

I bought the live stream (I'm also in TX =) ) and I watched a lot of the podcasts that were there (almost all of them are ones I enjoy to varying degrees). Every single one of them were hilarious and fun (except, maybe one but that was mostly just interesting with one minor annoyance). I don't know what Geraltitude is talking about (all due respect duder). Giant Bomb's show was great.

The Giant Bomb set alone is one of the best recordings they've ever done. It started out rough, as all live shows generally do for anybody, but they really hit their stride fast. Honestly it didn't even seem like they were nervous it just seemed like Jeff didn't really know what he wanted to talk about and the fact that they had a time limit was fucking him up occasionally. Still, it was like old times in some ways, when they got going, and it reminded me of the old days of the podcast for some reason. I don't know why, but the vibe was special.

On top of that the McElroy brothers (who were nervous the whole time even though they've done tons of live shows already at this point) were hilarious. Showing up to do The Adventure Zone in costume was a great choice, and do I even need to say that MBMBAM was funny? Well it was.

All the Paul F Thompkins podcasts (Superego, Spontaneanation, Thrilling Adventure Hour) were incredibly funny (as always). I've actually never heard Superego before (I've heard of it, but I never listened to it before) and I really enjoyed it.

Doug Benson's stuff was great too. I've heard of all his podcasts, but never listened to them and being an enjoyer of his mockumentaries I knew I liked him and his lackadaisical humor. It's pretty similar to why I like Giant Bomb, he's able to find funny but doesn't really set it up. It's a lazy humor or whatever. He just lets comedy show up if it wants, and it does (often because of pot).

There was also this one podcast I'd never heard of, but I watched it because Patton Oswalt was on it. It's about science. That one was really fascinating. They had a theoretical scientist on that I can't remember the name of. He actually ended up stealing that show. There was one guy on the show who's apparently got an engineering degree but he acts like the party guy in college who doesn't really want to be there. I guess he's on SNL? He was annoying as shit and just reminds why SNL isn't funny these days and hasn't been for almost 2 decades. I'm sorry, I'm probably being mean unintentionally, but I did not like him or his attempts at humor. He usually just interrupted very thought provoking and interesting discussion to try and be funny but always failing. Everyone else on that show was fine (that show is called Probably Science and the concept is actually interesting although I have no idea if it's always that interesting to listen to, but the one they did at LA Podfest was).

I'm digressing a lot, sorry. Anyway, the shows for LA Podfest were incredible. Giant Bomb's included. I would've gone to it live if I could have, and I feel it would have been worth it. The $20 I spent to see these was absolutely worth it.

My one complaint was how unprofessional the LA Podfest web site is. To explain: it was broken for a couple days so some people couldn't watch the live streams most of the weekend. I couldn't watch for the first night- it made me really sad. The engineers who work the site busted their asses to fix it, and it wasn't their fault (they used Godaddy for some reason, and unsurprisingly Godaddy fucked them over, and that was their first mistake), but still people paid to watch it live, and couldn't, so even though we can watch the archives they still fucked up. Hopefully next year they don't. I'm willing to give them that chance if they have shows I care about again.

The archives are great; the quality is fine (for me). I haven't had any problems with it.

Uh, that's all I can think of to mention. If you like a lot of podcasts that showed up and were recorded the podfest live stream was 100% worth it. Every show was tons of fun. I do not regret purchasing it.

If you want to wait and hear the live Giant Bomb cast on Giant Bomb I believe you will have to wait a month. You won't get to see the video of it.

So OP knows, yes there was a live stream and there is an archive on the LA Podfest site. You have to pay to be able watch it right now. I don't think it's that weird- like some people seem to- because it's not a regular show. It's a special thing for people who want to support the show, and it was a fun time. The only oddity, to me, was seeing the Giant Bomb dudes in the midst of other shows starring people who have been in movies and TV shows. I don't know why- technically Jeff (for example) is probably just as famous as, say, Paul F Thompkins is, but Jeff seems like a dude I could run into and just say hi too and not feel weird about it. The other people have that "been on TV" quality where it's like; I know they're just people, but it's not real because I've seen them on TV for years so I'd feel weird saying hi to them because I know them as characters on movies or shows and not as people. I don't know- I can't explain it well. It's just weird.

Wow, I said a lot about this. That feels strange. I'm not trying to persuade anybody to pay for this- just giving my input haha. Sorry, apparently I really liked it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghost_cat: @personandstuff: @cornbredx: Hey all, just to be clear, I didn't hate or even dislike it. I liked it. I just didn't love it or put it up with my all time favorite bombcasts or paxes etc. Really I was just saying I wouldn't feel like I super missed out on it live or need to see the recording right away. I think if you are interested in the other podcasts that are available on that site paying to see it isn't that big deal - there's a lot of content from the weekend. I watched a lot of it live and just didn't really enjoy most of what I saw. That's not to say it's bad though. And again I'm not burned. 20 bucks is two lunches so you know, big whoop.

As far as Giant Bomb's panel (and again I Liked It, Did Not Love It) I mostly just felt that Jeff was the only one with a lot of energy (more than even usual), Brad seemed quiet, and I think Vinny/Dan/Brad/Jeff is a combo that hasn't happened much, so the flow didn't seem as natural as either the Bombcast or the Beastcast. I have no problem admitting that maybe my mood is to blame too. I'd say that goes for all things. So, who knows, maybe they were on fire and I was just a grump that night.

Anyways that's just my two cents, I'm not trying to persuade people one way or the other as to paying to see this/waiting for it.

Sometimes I feel people really piled for not being in love with all things GB and I get that but really in this case I'm just lukewarm to this one, single two hour snippet of their 10,000 amazing hours they have given me. Not a bad ratio.. :)

All that said, there is one very, very important historical moment that happens in this podcast.. Major Spoilers for Giant Bomb:

Jeff officially opens the Greatest Game of Generation Debate. They don't say much, but the door is opened nonetheless. Also, Burnout.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@geraltitude: Sorry. I didn't mean to pile on you. I know I hate when I get lambasted on these forums for not having the same opinion as other people so I hope you don't take it as me doing that. I merely just wanted to give my opposing viewpoint on it haha

I somehow said a lot about it. I didn't even really intend to do that- it just kind of happened. It's one of those days maybe, or I just really liked the shows. I can't say, maybe both. Maybe more. =P

And yes, yer spoiler block is accurate. Super amazing it went there. I was shocked.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: thanks for saying and no problem duder! you were polite anyways. Just always spooky to run into a wall of text online lol, even if it is nice. :) at first I was like Oh no.. but it was alllll good. I didn't see that show you mentioned with Patton Oswalt and I have that pass so may as well check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Yeah that (spoiler) was actually a little stunning. Did not ever really expect that to come up even semi-seriously, so definitely wondering if it will come up again.