Avatar image for isaacthemaverick
IsaacTheMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IsaacTheMaverick

Hi. Few years ago I've had a very specific experience with a game called GolfStar. It was an online golf game obviously, if you didn't heard about it. Technically it was competitive because you could win I guess but you couldn't interfere with other peoples games so gameplay wise playing single player was the same as multiplayer but while playing multiplayer you could see other peoples shots, you could congratulate them when they did something awesome, chat with them etc. I really enjoyed this simple, slow paced experience, I've had some good conversations with random people while playing. I feel like that game provoked players to chill out and I'm curious if anyone knows something similar to it. I'm kinda tired of people raging, calling everyone noob and going afk while losing in competitive games. I don't really care about the genre as long as it's fun to play and also I know that basically every MMORPG is what I just described but I'm not looking for those. Any ideas?

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

The Trackmania games seem to fill that same sort of niche (going from how Jeff describes them).

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@isaacthemaverick: This will sound strange but I can recommend you GTA V Online (PC), which is the multiplayer part of GTA V and comes with the game. While its sort of an MMO, it circumvents a lot of predefined things that sort of belong to the genre.

Its an excellent experience if you have friends that play with you. Its amongst the best casual experiences you can have in a multiplayer online game. After every mission, everyone gets the same amount of Cash, so noones left behind. It also doesn't matter much if you fail a mission, you still get some Money.

Beware though, the game is a grindfest. The monotony of "drive there, get x, kill some NPCs that shoot you." however seems to be right up on your alley. It gives you hundreds of different flavors for the same thing to do which keeps it exciting, even though you do the same thing literally a thousand times, or even more.

Its amongst the best games to play with friends and nice strangers if you can ignore the long loading time at the start. Playing with strangers is...an experience to have on its own sometimes. I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way, sometimes the funniest stuff happens in this game, you should try it out yourself.

Avatar image for rauthelegendary
RauTheLegendary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Minecraft is probably the most obvious suggestion. Besides that I think most Diablo-likes and maybe something like Earth Defense Force are suited for that.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

The Trackmania games seem to fill that same sort of niche (going from how Jeff describes them).

I second Trackmania as a recommendation. It almost totally fits your bill except that I guess it can't really be called slow paced. The driving of the cars tends to be pretty fast and frentic, though you are of course totally able to just spin doughnuts at the start if you choose to do so! Check out the quick look of Trackmania Turbo or maybe even that one long video where Jeff just plays Trackmania 2 Stadium to get an idea of what I mean. Trackmania 2 is a pretty fantastic game, Trackmania Turbo slightly less so but maybe is more accessible. Still pretty good.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imhungry said:
@l33t_haxor said:

I second Trackmania as a recommendation. It almost totally fits your bill except that I guess it can't really be called slow paced. The driving of the cars tends to be pretty fast and frentic, though you are of course totally able to just spin doughnuts at the start if you choose to do so! Check out the quick look of Trackmania Turbo or maybe even that one long video where Jeff just plays Trackmania 2 Stadium to get an idea of what I mean. Trackmania 2 is a pretty fantastic game, Trackmania Turbo slightly less so but maybe is more accessible. Still pretty good.

Do people talk or interact while playing Trackmania? I've played some Trackmania Turbo but not the other versions, but my impression was that everyone just quietly raced against eachother while listening to the sickest dubstep weirdo music the Internet has to offer. That interface doesn't seem ideal for text chatting (plus the pace of the game) and the music stuff seems like it would interfere with talking, but maybe my impression is mistaken and there are some servers where people gather and talk about...European things.

IsaacTheMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imhungry: @l33t_haxor: I've installed Trackmania 2 demo but sadly can't get it to work on my PC. I've also tried the trial version of Trackmania Turbo and it definitely seems like a pretty cool game but I was welcomed by endless list of empty servers with no way of sorting them so that I could see those with people in them. Not sure if that's because of some restrictions in the trial version or if no one's playing it. I'll try to run Trackmania 2 again but I'm afraid I'm late to the party anyway.

@bigsocrates: In Trackmania Turbo you can press the left stick to say things like "Welcome" or "Good Job" but I'm pretty sure there's no real chat.

@rauthelegendary: I've played Minecraft before but I didn't liked it. I think that I don't have enough imagination for this game but I'll look into Earth Defense Force. I've always thought that this game looks pretty bad but what the heck, I guess it might be fun with other people.

@dray2k: That's great recommendation although I've played it already :) It's one hell of a game.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

One of the best online experiences I've had with a non competetive game was Mass Effect 3. Since you don't attack eachother but rather work in a group it is more like co-op than the traditional online games. It's getting old now and I am not sure how many are still playing but there should be other games like that. I would like it if more games focused on non-competetive online gaming. It's less stressful playing with people against bots than playing against other people. I used to be into competetive gaming when I was in my late teens and early tweenties but now the last games I was good at was Halo Reach and BF Bad Company 2 on 360. Mostly because I don't play that many shooters anymore. I played the BF1 beta on PC since i don't have the new consoles but it's just not as fun when I am not as good as I used to be. I've not played shooters on PC since CS Source was still fresh which is about a decade ago.

IsaacTheMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By IsaacTheMaverick

@dagas: Yup. I'm in my early tweenties right now and I was playing competitive games until recently but at some point they've started to really piss me of. I've spend 2 thousands hours on Dota 2 and I feel like the worst player in the world because with every patch they are rebalancing the game so with every patch you basically have to learn the game again. It's just no fun and I don't have the time for it anymore but at the same time I really like online multiplayer. It makes every match unique and interacting with people is fun for me (even if the only form of communication would be just spinning donuts). I've never played Mass Effect 3 and I don't want to search for the 3 people who still play it but I don't doubt that I would have liked it if I played it 3 years ago. I also wish there were more games like it, that's why I started this topic. Maybe there's something I haven't heard about.

None_Braver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overcooked. You actually work together.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

There is a steam sale of the Borderlands franchise right now. Go there, we will wait...

They work as you wanted because most online is cooperative, and you only engage in PvP fights if you want to. The games range from great to decent, but they are all a lot of fun if you play with some friends.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By BallsLeon

Terraria or Starbound possibly? I know this doesn't fit the competitive niche, but it serves well as an interactive chat room. I know GB has world's for both.

EDIT: Let me rephrase, not competitive but also not a skill based game like golf. Progression is based on your own development, or possibly through the help of others.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Warhammer vermintide is a fun left for dead type co op game with loot and levels.

As stated mass effect 3 is great but it has a lot of toxic players though at least last i played years ago.

Diablo or games like it, they have their issues as well though.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This may sound dumb but have you tried Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2? I played a good amount of the first game and found the community pretty welcoming. It's hard to get very hypercompetitive when you're playing as dumb cartoon plants. The players do skew younger so there's that, but there's a very robust suite of multiplayer modes including horde modes and lots of PVP stuff and it's a pretty fun game. It's on EA/ORgin Access now so you can try the whole thing out for a one month $5 membership.

P00zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I may have missed it mentioned here, but Monster Hunter would be my pick. Beside an MMO, Monster Hunter really brings that team work to the front. Good luck! Hope you find a game that fits the bill.