Microsoft is a horrible company. Shed a tear for Apeman.

• 118 results
apeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By apeman

My 360 died for the fourth time today.  Of the three previous repairs, I once had to pay $100, and the other two repairs were just inconvenient.  Now, they want me to pay $120 to fix it again.

Let's see:  New, sexy-black xbox = $200 retail

Repairing my ancient xbox =  $120

So......I can only presume that Microsoft raised the repair fee to discourage me from even getting a repair.  Instead, I will inevitably go buy a new one because it is less likely to break again, much more memory, is sexier, etc...

My first 360 = $250
repairs = $100
New 360 = $200
 numerous inconveniences and frustration = priceless

this is the very last of my money, but I really really want to be able to game and watch movies, so it looks like I have little choice.  Thanks, Microsoft, for taking my $550.  If only I knew you would not stand behind your product in any way, I would have bought a damn playstation...

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

You suck at taking care of your Xbox

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Didnt you think it was time to get a new system after the first two repairs? 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

I will shed nothing, Microsoft has given me 5 years of quality entertainment.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Subjugation

I haven't touched my 360 for about 2 years since it RRoD'd and they refused to fix it under warranty because they thought I had tampered with it. I argued with the guy over the phone about it because I know they have special stickers on the inside that will rip if you open it up to tinker with it and I knew those would be intact. He said a few small gouges around the tabs on the back was grounds enough to refuse repair, so I haven't used the console since. It was a launch 360 though, so I've learned my lesson and won't be a first round purchaser in the next serving of consoles. 

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By EVO

Shit like this makes me wonder if there's actually more PS3 owners out there than 360, despite trailing in sales. It seems most people are on their second or third console.

With that being said, I own two PS3's.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman

Yo, that aint bad. My original Xbox was $400, and I had to have it repaired, and then I bought an S for much more than $200. $200's a deal.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By keyhunter

My original XBOX 360 was 700 dollars after taxes..With a year of live. I've had three replacements since then. And recently dropped another 250 for the 120 gb Slim model. You're doing pretty good by my standards. 
It's not so bad though. When I think about it, it totally costs more money to have a brake caliper replaced in my car.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Animasta

my 360 is still kickin after a year and change.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Hey! You can always go PC you know!

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hatking

Video games are expensive.  Sorry?  You should probably find another hobby if you don't want to have the risk of paying these costs.  I've heard knitting is cheap.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ajamafalous

I have a launch 360 Pro that I've never once had to send in.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By ch13696

I'm with you on the same boat. 

New Elite Xbox 360 (at the time it was out) = $400 
First repair after 2 years = $100 
2nd repair after 3 months =$100 
3rd repair from friend after 2 months =$40 
4th repair from eBay seller (positive reviews) =$50 

After it crashed the last time, I sold it for $30 to a friend and he sold me his Xbox 360 for $60 since there's no working Ethernet port. Which it doesn't matter, I just want to play games. So for me to have a working Xbox 360 cost me $660, a working PS3 $600 since I bought it at launch, and a working Wii for free since I have a bad ass friend that just got married and his wife already has a Wii.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By williamhenry
@FancySoapsMan said:
" You suck at taking care of your Xbox "
Comment makes no sense. The 360 doesn't get the RROD because someone is bad at taking care of it.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Daveyo520

*rolls eyes*

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By yakov456

They didn't take it from you, you willingly gave it to them. Sorry to be blunt, should have learned the second time.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By NickL
@TooWalrus said:

" I will shed nothing, Microsoft has given me 5 years of quality entertainment. "

this... also i have only had to repair once so far and i bought one when it originally came out (of course i have bought one that was hdmi enabled a couple years back, but my first one is still a reliable back up that i throw into my back pack and bring to friends houses)
jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By jimi

I have a launch 360 and never had to repair it :/ 

Only thing I can say is make sure you keep them ventilated, that seems to be the no1 reason for 360 death.

apeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By apeman
@FancySoapsMan said:
I'm actually completely anal with maintaining all my electronics.  Last night, my xbox worked great.  This morning, it will not read any disk.
tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tourgen

Yeah I feel for you.  I've had a pretty similar experience with xbox's.  I'm on #5 if you count all the warranty repairs.  I've actually bought 2 and paid for a $100 repair to another.  The warranty repairs I got back from Microsoft were clearly not the same unit I sent in.  So yeah, on box #5 now.  Absolutely atrocious piece of hardware.  The games are good though.  I'll just stick it out on PC for the next round of consoles.

PatriotsAreGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PatriotsAreGod

It really does suck. I never had an Xbox but when I hear about how people have gone through so many, I have to wonder when people are going to draw the line. Yeah, you forgive it because you can send it back with a warranty.... but really, is that the point? Just stop supporting the system.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie
@FancySoapsMan said:
You know, I agree with this. I own 2 XBoxes and a PS3. I have had no problems whatsoever with any of my consoles. Hit 'em with a dustcloth once in a while and keep 'em in an open, ventilated area. Maybe folks had a point with the launch 360s but the units sold during the last couple of years seem to be fine. Like FancySoapsMan said, maybe it's you not the XBox.
NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NickL
@No0b0rAmA said:
" Hey! You can always go PC you know! "
this made me lol, the prices of keeping a current pc that can run games very well almost makes me faint when i think about it
apeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By apeman
@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:
" @FancySoapsMan said:
You know, I agree with this. I own 2 XBoxes and a PS3. I have had no problems whatsoever with any of my consoles. Hit 'em with a dustcloth once in a while and keep 'em in an open, ventilated area. Maybe folks had a point with the launch 360s but the units sold during the last couple of years seem to be fine. Like FancySoapsMan said, maybe it's you not the XBox. "
It's an early generation xbox.  

With all the evidence available, including Microsoft admitting RROD and disk read errors, you believe it is reasonable to assume that it is user error...

You have the logic of an infant.  Just because your console continues reading disks and mine doesn't does not mean I suck at taking care of my xbox.   thousands and thousands of people have had these problems too.  The disk read error and RROD are not caused by sucking at taking care of my xbox.

ugh.   You suck at thinking.
apeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By apeman
@PatriotsAreGod said:
" It really does suck. I never had an Xbox but when I hear about how people have gone through so many, I have to wonder when people are going to draw the line. Yeah, you forgive it because you can send it back with a warranty.... but really, is that the point? Just stop supporting the system. "
This is true.  What do I do?  If all my games could be played on any other system, I would make the switch.

Of all the consoles I've owned in my life, and there are many, I' ve never experienced so much as a hiccup.  Hell, my SNES still plays great.  What is up with Microsoft.  I've had three separate modes of failure!  

Do the black xboxes have these problems, too?  I need to know.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RsistncE

I love all the corporate dick suckers here who are actually defending Microsoft because they've been so desensitized to shoddy hardware being sold to them that they actually think it's perfectly OK for the user to have to pay for repair costs as soon as a year after they buy the damn thing. 

Newsfuckingflash: assholes like are who gave Microsoft the power to abuse consumer rights as they do now. This is why I don't game on my 360 anymore or pay for Live. I refuse to voluntarily support a company with my money that treats customers the way it does. 

@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:

" @FancySoapsMan said:

You know, I agree with this. I own 2 XBoxes and a PS3. I have had no problems whatsoever with any of my consoles. Hit 'em with a dustcloth once in a while and keep 'em in an open, ventilated area. Maybe folks had a point with the launch 360s but the units sold during the last couple of years seem to be fine. Like FancySoapsMan said, maybe it's you not the XBox. "  
Yeah because my Xbox which was kept in perfect condition in an open glass entertainment stand clearly didn't go bad TWICE. 

@NickL said:
" @No0b0rAmA said:
this made me lol, the prices of keeping a current pc that can run games very well almost makes me faint when i think about it "
I just did a $300 upgrade to a 3 year old PC which will allow me to run games pretty much maxed out for another couple years or so. It's a massive myth that PC gaming costs more than console gaming especially when you take into account the fact that you pay less for games, and don't pay anything to play online.
avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By avantegardener

Actually just packed off my second one off to Microsft Hospital yesterday. Thankfully it's still in warranty . It was an Elite for the record.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By YoungFrey

I would say just get a new console if you want to stay with MS.  It also nets you a controller and headset, and is a new under-waranty device.  Which isn't a zero value.  It's why I bought a 2nd console (and I needed a larger hard drive). 
Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Get it repaired then sell or trade it?

That's what I did after old faithful red-ringed the third time, traded it and the wii in for the new 360 and a tonne of games and crap with it

apeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By apeman
@RsistncE said:

" I love all the corporate dick suckers here who are actually defending Microsoft because they've been so desensitized to shoddy hardware being sold to them that they actually think it's perfectly OK for the user to have to pay for repair costs as soon as a year after they buy the damn thing. 

Newsfuckingflash: assholes like are who gave Microsoft the power to abuse consumer rights as they do now. This is why I don't game on my 360 anymore or pay for Live. I refuse to voluntarily support a company with my money that treats customers the way it does. 

@Dad_Is_A_Zombie

said:

" @FancySoapsMan said:

Yeah because my Xbox which was kept in perfect condition in an open glass entertainment stand clearly didn't go bad TWICE. 

@NickL said:
" @No0b0rAmA said:
this made me lol, the prices of keeping a current pc that can run games very well almost makes me faint when i think about it "
I just did a $300 upgrade to a 3 year old PC which will allow me to run games pretty much maxed out for another couple years or so. It's a massive myth that PC gaming costs more than console gaming especially when you take into account the fact that you pay less for games, and don't pay anything to play online. "
Thanks for the back.  I honestly can't believe people are defending Microsoft and assuming I've been mistreating it instead.

Seriously, when you hear that an xbox RROD'd or something, is it reasonable to assume that the console was mistreated?
PatriotsAreGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PatriotsAreGod
@RsistncE said:
" I love all the corporate dick suckers here who are actually defending Microsoft because they've been so desensitized to shoddy hardware being sold to them that they actually think it's perfectly OK for the user to have to pay for repair costs as soon as a year after they buy the damn thing. 

It is very bewildering indeed.
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NickL said:
" @No0b0rAmA said:
My rig which is almost four years old and probably not worth shit anymore can run most if not all games better than a PS3 or a 360.
apeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By apeman
@Tim_the_Corsair said:
" Get it repaired then sell or trade it? That's what I did after old faithful red-ringed the third time, traded it and the wii in for the new 360 and a tonne of games and crap with it "
That was my first thought.  But I'd have to sell it for more than $120 to realize any gain, and who on earth would buy a super-old xbox for ~$150 when a new elite is $200.

Unless there is something I'm missing, which is entirely possible...
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gamefreak9

Their share price dropped to 25 again... god... what are they doing in there?

PatriotsAreGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PatriotsAreGod
@apeman said:
" @Tim_the_Corsair said:
" Get it repaired then sell or trade it? That's what I did after old faithful red-ringed the third time, traded it and the wii in for the new 360 and a tonne of games and crap with it "
That was my first thought.  But I'd have to sell it for more than $120 to realize any gain, and who on earth would buy a super-old xbox for ~$150 when a new elite is $200.  Unless there is something I'm missing, which is entirely possible... "
No, nobody will buy it for that much.

Do you have a ton of games? You could tag sale it all off and save money for a new system, like a *whisper* PS3.
apeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By apeman

I was also shocked to see the repair price has gone up!  It used to be $100, now it's $120????

This is just insulting! 

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Afroman269

I'm on my 6th.

PatriotsAreGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PatriotsAreGod
@Afroman269 said:

" I'm on my 6th. "

Seriously? That's crazy.
apeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By apeman
@YoungFrey said:
" I would say just get a new console if you want to stay with MS.  It also nets you a controller and headset, and is a new under-waranty device.  Which isn't a zero value.  It's why I bought a 2nd console (and I needed a larger hard drive).  "
this is true.  my 20 gigs is constantly full, and it pisses me off.

Another note: The microsoft rep on the phone told me that maybe dust got in my system.  Although I am pretty certain this isn't the issue (console played fine last night and every other night, didn't even change the game, and it won't work today), I figured I'd indulge the rep.

So I asked what to do?  He said I need to clean the lens, but that I can't open up the xbox to clean the lens or they won't repair it.   he said, "you'll have to send it in."

thanks, dude.  I'd love to pay you $120 to wipe the lens of my xbox.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Afroman269
@PatriotsAreGod: I guess technically 5 because my 5th one, MS "repaired", was still working but I traded it in for a 360 slim when the slim came out.
apeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By apeman

so.....what should i do with the beige brick sitting in my living room?

any ideas?

sell?  give away?  

cover in explosives, film, and post on GB?

I am tempted to take my ice axes to it right now to relieve anger...

suggestions are welcome.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By stonyman65

Hate to tell you dude but all consoles break at some point, happened to the NES, the PSX, the PS2 the PS3, the Xbox and the 360. It is just a matter of time.  Microsoft just really sucked with the first gen 360s, same with the PS3.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By Nasar7

My 360 also just RROD'd for the third time a couple weeks ago. While I've never had to pay for repairs, it is a bit ridiculous. I've decided to sell it for scrap and stick to my PS3.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By EuanDewar
@ajamafalous said:
"I have a launch 360 Pro that I've never once had to send in. "
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Akeldama

Yea if you are on your 5th Xbox: 

A. You fucking suck at keeping your shit in good condition 

B. Should buy a sturdier console

apeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By apeman
@Akeldama said:
" Yea if you are on your 5th Xbox:  A. You fucking suck at keeping your shit in good condition  B. Should buy a sturdier console "
If you are as dumb as Akeldama, you must be:

A. 12 years old
B. astonishingly ignorant
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By Vinny_Says

this thread again? I've had my original xbox since forever and it still works perfectly, and I'm still having a blast with my 360. For those reasons I would have to say microsoft is an alright company. Are you really on your 5th xbox? What's wrong with you?

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DystopiaX
@EuanDewar said:
" @ajamafalous said:
"I have a launch 360 Pro that I've never once had to send in. "
"
Then you guys are incredibly lucky. Apparently 99% of launch xboxes were supposed to have broken.
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Way to be immature dudes.  (Anti Microsoft guys.) 

If it breaks once or maybe even twice its their fault, after that I say you might want to try something different.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By penguindust

Knock on wood, I'm still on my original launch-model Xbox.  It did red-ring twice, but I haven't had any trouble since then and that was 2 years ago.   Still, everytime I start it up I am gripped with fear.  I don't feel that when when I turn on my PS3, so that says something about Microsoft's console...or maybe just about my personal paranoia.