• 137 results
Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Puppy

I can't think of any awkward purchases; at least when store employees are concerned. I don't care so much about what they think, but sometimes it can be awkward with the parents. But again, I don't currently have one in mind that has already happened - I've preemptively stricken any notion of purchasing the Pokemon Gold/Silver remake from my mind, though! That would be oh too uncomfortable! =(

PenguinDust said:
Carry around a box of maxipads.  No one is ever going to notice what you are buying if you are ... [more]

Not that I would do this, but...wow. That's brilliant.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By Willy105
Stang said:
Willy105 said: Reading over this thread, I am surprised at the little things gets you guys embarrassed.I once bought Kim Possible ... [more]
I am not sure how that will help, but....ok?
heavymtlhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#103  Edited By heavymtlhead
Puppy said:
I can't think of any awkward purchases; at least when store employees are concerned. I don't care so much about ... [more]
Thats a risk for me that I think I'm just gonna have to take. Pokemon Silver is probably my favorite Pokemon game growing up and I am actually pretty stoked for the remake, awkward consequences be damned! I don't know if I should get Platnum first though. It looks pretty cool but I don't wanna be overwhelmed.
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104  Edited By TheMustacheHero
Illmatic said:
I used to be a fairly big guy. Add that to the fact I'm black and pretty dark and me ... [more]
Heh, I have a friend who loves kingdom hearts who is also black, sept he aint hefty.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Pazy

When I bought Pokemon DIamond (my first pokemon game since blue) 6 months ago I got looks from the parents in the story, one of them acutally whispered to her husband "Peadofile, heh" :| Wtf! Just because im a 19 year old male buying a pokemon game for my DS.

Oh plus there was the time I was buying my DS, I traded in £100 worth of games :p I got so many dirty looks lol

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Drebin_893 said:
RapeLay for sure.I kid, I kid.
haha, I was about to say that's the only game I could consider being an awkward purchase.

I'd go with the line "I don't so much like the rape, I enjoy the art style"
George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By George_Hukas
I was buying Pokemon (as a gift.. serious) and the little obnoxious chick at the Best Buy looked at the box, then at me with I kid you not, a horrified look on her face and was like "Are you serious?" I love women and all of the earth's creatures but I wanted to smack her.

I then proceeded to remind her this was the only copy I had to buy.. she was going to be here ringing these suckers up all day.

shinyd3mon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By shinyd3mon
LeoMinor said:
I felt kinda weird buying Pokemon Platinum.  The last Pokemon game I bought before that was Gold and Silver when ... [more]
Dude, I'm having the exact same dilemma as you guys with the Pokemon..

I heard that they were remaking Gold and Silver for the DS a few days ago (HeartGold and SoulSilver, probably due out late 2009 - early 2010) and instantly thought of buying a DS just to play Gold through again. I must have put 250+ hours into the original before the bastard kid I was babysitting erased my game save (w/ Level 100 Feraligatr, Level 97 Lugia, etc.) and haven't touched a Pokemon game since.

It was one of the most joyous experiences of my childhood, though I'm not sure if I would connect with the game as I did then, when I was watching the anime religiously, and all my friends had one variation of the game or another (either oldschool Red/Blue, or Gold/Silver like myself) whom I would trade with/battle against..

I'm 19 now and I told my friends I was thinking about buying the new games, and they looked at me like I was a weirdo or something. I'm guessing if I ever did buy it I would play it exclusively in my room, as my family probably wouldn't think too highly of it either   =(
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#109  Edited By Cube

Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#110  Edited By Roomrunner

I've got a really sad one from a couple years back.

After a movie at the local mall, I decided to browse the DS games at a Gamestop.  There, these two kids.. had to be... 12 I guess, brothers, quietly and awkwardly approached me.  With their eyes darting around and voices quivering they pleaded that I buy them a Leisure Suit Larry game.  (Quite topical, as the infamous Quick Look video of a LSL game hit today).

I laughed, and said no on principle that it was a shit game.  But they kept annoying me, so rather than let a scene occur, I was just like "fine, fuck it."  I figured at least I'll have a story to tell a random forum some day.  They gave me crumpled up $1s they had in their pockets.  I was rolling my eyes and sighing, hoping at this point one of the passing employees would put a stop to it.  They didn't.  I bought the shitty $8 game with their crumpled up dollar bills, gave it to the kids outside, and some clerk out there thinks I must be some idiotic perv. 

I'm hoping they got caught playing it later in the week and went "It's not our fault mom!  Some nerdy white kid bought it for us!"

Also, reading a few of these posts reminded me of another:  I bought myself Resident Evil 4 on my 22nd birthday, and was carded.  I'm 26 and still get carded for R rated films today, so I'm kinda used to it.  It was just made more awkward by the woman doing the math on my license and being embarrassed by her mistake.  "ohh, heh, I'm sorry... you've got a babyface."  All the unnecessary awkward dialogue made it a good Larry David moment.
heavymtlhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#111  Edited By heavymtlhead
ShinyD3mon said:
LeoMinor said: I felt kinda weird buying Pokemon Platinum.  The last Pokemon game I bought before that was Gold and ... [more]

I don't get the whole stigma that Pokemon games are only for kids. I'm 17 and I think it's perfectly fine to being playing those games at whatever age since they're deep and engaging. If your watching the anime or trading/collecting cards and are over the age of 10, however, I can't help you.
Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

There was also this one time when I went to GameSpot to buy Field Commander (great game). I went up to the counter to purchase the game after I found it. The guy was taking his fuckin' time, presuming I didn't have stuff to do. So, out of pure boredom, I asked him "hey have any gay dudes ever came in here?" And he said "That question is not appropriate" so I sat at the counter for like two more minutes in complete silence. He then asked me "do you have an ID with you?" And I responded "No, why?" He said "You need parental permission or an ID to buy rated Teen games." This was new to me, so I said "I've bought a bunch of other rated T games here and never needed permission!" So, the jackass said "Yeah, but you still need parental permission." At this point I was pissed, I just wanted to get the fuck out of GameStop and as far away from that douchebag as possible. So I got my dad (in Pizza Hut at the time) and he told him I could get the game, and I was happy.

Last Saturday I went there again to trade in some GameCube games to make some shelf space, and it was the Same guy. It wasn't as awkward as you'd expect, but he feinted caring about new games I was interested in, I told him Just Cause 2 and Tekken 6, and he said, "I'm excited about that too! I can't wait!" And I responded "Yeah" and then, he fucked up the whole conversation by telling me "we have a fightpad up on that shelf (it was above the 360 games), if you're interested, I don't know how long it will be there."

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Not a game but going alone and buying a skirt is weird

PaperPlain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By PaperPlain

As much of a poser gamer I am, it was buying Pokemon for the DS. I was like, "So is Pokemon only for little kids?", you know to play it off cool but I of course knew all about them and have played them for years.

Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Teh_Eel

I brought Guitar Hero 3 in the US and had to carry it through an Airport and on to the plane, then through another Airport getting stopped by an Aussie telling me how much fun I will have with it. Also the secruity people at Heathrow gave me some strange looks, as most of it was covered with a huge plastic bag.

Khuntley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

#116  Edited By Khuntley

Probably when I picked up Pokemon Diamond, Power Rangers Super Legends alongside Manhunt 2. The combination of the three was the strangest thing. I guess it baffled the employees that a person could be interested in raising fictional animals, saving the galaxy with color coordinated suits, but also be curious about the inner workings of strangling someone with a plastic bag.

Sidenote: Pokemon and Power Rangers stayed in my collection much longer than Manhunt 2's two day tenure.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#117  Edited By AgentJ

Well, I was in Akihabara, and i wanted to pick up Fate Stay Night, and I had to go into one of the "bottom floors". Normal for japanese guys, but not for foreigners. That was a fucked up experience

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By PercyChuggs

Walking through Wal Mart with my launch 360, past a bunch of people who thought they could get there at 12:05 and still get one. Thought I was going to get stabbed.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Systech

Pokemon Platinum recently.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@systech said:
" Pokemon Platinum recently. "
Same here.
Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Shocker

Viva Pinata. And recently Pokemon.

Calidreth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#122  Edited By Calidreth

Never been embarrassed at a purchase, no one should be; insecurity is a nasty detriment to have.

Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Subway

Nothing really, I remember I bought NFL 2K5 years after it was released though, and the guy working at EB Games sorta looked at me strange :/

muttjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By muttjones

i asked how much i would get if i traded in lego indiana jones for PS2 andthe guy at EB just looked at me and then said "Not much buddy." i felt like a douche.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By maxszy

Online shopping. It solves all these problems any many more!

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#126  Edited By Black_Rose

Anything remotely childish, last I can remember, Punch Out!!

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By vidiot

Final Fantasy X-2.

There was a cute girl behind the register. She looked at it, looked at me, and I can see the judgment in her eyes. It was pretty embarrassing. I even tried to say it was: "for a friend."

Which, for some of the younger readers on the board thinking of using said excuse, spare yourself because itDOES NOT WORK FOR ANY SITUATION EVER.

See. This thread is now educational.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Optiow

I have not actually had any awkward purchases yet, but my friend had to buy a few Wii games for his brother once...and he had a T-Shirt on saying Go X-Box which he had drew on with vivid.

MrPerfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By MrPerfect

I never had an awkward game purchase,  I tend to not care what people think of what game I buy. 

RogueBomber12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#130  Edited By RogueBomber12

Henry Hatsworth and the puzzleing adventure. Cover looks like a kids game, but wow was that game hard.

goatmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By goatmilk

Lugging the whole GH:WT box home on the train & bus was pretty physically awkward. As for purchases I don't really feel awkward. I bought Bad Day LA & Just Cause for $4 each the other day and laughed it off with the sales guy.

church069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By church069

awkward game purchase for me would be the first Rock Band.  Carrying the huge box all around the mall where I bought it.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By VWGTI
@RetroIce4:

Haha. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Years ago when that came out I was super embarassed when buying it.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#134  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Rock Band was awkward. Carrying that giant box on the bus got some strange looks. Other than that, nothing. I buy most games from a game store where the staff know about games, and know that games like pokemon, viva piñata and other similar games aren't just for kids. And once it's in the carrier bag, no one can see what it is.

regnits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By regnits
Ok picture this I'm in my 20s buying Star Wars Episode 1 Pod Racer from a supermarket (big store for non-UK folk). The girl is fit as.... this is because the big sweaty one went for her break just as I'm about to be next. And I almost changed counters just as she said next. I whished the ground would have chewed me up right there. But the funny part is the game didn't work so I had to take it back to the store.

All this for brotherly love, bless. :(
freakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By freakin

Probably that time I bought a game naked.  Awkward for them I mean.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Seedofpower

I bought a game from Gamestop, without a game in it...........

it was a gift and i wrap it and give to them...... ya that was embarrassing.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#138  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Oddly enough, when I was buying Persona 3 FES at a local retailer the guy actually told me how awesome of a game it was. That was awkward in a different way.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By eclipsesis

I went into GAME to buy genji 2 for the PS3, and this is how the following converstaion went.
GAME dude: " are you sure you want this game"
Me: "why is it bad"
GAME dude: " well it depends on your tastes"
Me: "like what tastes"
GAME dude " well do you like shit games"
Me: "Errrrrrrr"
GAME dude: " you know what, go pick another game, im not selling you that game"