• 174 results
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By ImperiousRix

Alright, I searched the forums for this topic and it was surprisingly nowhere to be found, so here goes.

Personally, I feel 2009, though having quite a few notable games out, is overall a more disappointing year in terms of delivering the goods than most in recent memory.  It just seems that even the "big" releases weren't as stellar or as well-recieved as they've been in years passed and, for the most part, I won't look back upon 2009 as a huge year in gaming.

So without further ado, what is YOUR personal most disappointing game of the year?  I pick Brutal Legend, simply because not only was the final product a bit underwhelming as far as gameplay, presentation, and length of the single-player campaign, but that it seemed to mascarade for so long as something it was not, and was pushed as a huge event in gaming when, in reality, it was one of the most skippable major releases of the year.

Thoughts?

AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By AlexB

Brutal Legend, I was all stoked for it, then I realized it was a console RTS game. Sad Panda =(

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By AltonBrown

Prototype. It just wasn't as good as it could have been.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

RE5 for me, I mean i looked past the fact that all the survival horror elements were discarded from RE....but even as an action game it didn't really strike much. Not being able to move while aiming didn't make the game unplayable...but its weird why thats the one thing that has to be kept from the old-school formula of things =/. 

The coop was fun, but it wasnt implemented so well as just double the guns. The 2 player ''puzzles'' were hardly thought out and were mostly just -one player turn crank, other go forward-. I would of expected they'd of had more imagination than that. 
Too short aswell, taking me under 7 hours on my first run through. Its got good replay value but so did RE4, aswell as having itself a meaty 13-15 hour campaign. 

The mercenaries mode too, too many costume alternatives, not enough characters. Plus theres only one theme for every level+character, the music played gets grating pretty quickly for me. 

Oh and the laughably dated cover system... 

And theres more games that really dropped from the given hype level, but for me RE5 was one of my most hyped upcoming games...since it was announced basically, so yeah...major dissapointment. 
AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AltonBrown
@Abyssfull: Yeah, RE5 was pretty disappointing. I liked Sheva, though.
Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Spiral_Stars

Halo ODST. It was just sort of blah. 

@AltonBrown said:

" Prototype. It just wasn't as good as it could have been. "
True dat. It originally had multiplayer in it. That would have been something.
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By DanielJW

Probably for me, The Conduit. It seemed like a really competent shooter on the Wii, all it needed was a decent premise. Lo and behold it was a totally competent shooter on the Wii, but with a boring, generic premise. There's hope for the base they built, but the story behind the gameplay was flat-out weak. 

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AltonBrown
@Spiral_Stars: Wow. I can't imagine that working well.

I completely forgot ODST. Not a big Halo fan, but all of my pals are. That said, Firefight is decent.
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By Hot_Karl

I haven't played any truly awful games that have come out in 2009, so by default, my most disappointing game would have to be Ghostbusters.
And by that I mean only the last third of the game. The first half or so is phenomenal: tons of fan service, hilarious dialogue and fun gameplay mechanics.

But unfortunately the game busts (no pun intended) its potential fairly quickly. After the first few levels, you have less interaction with the main crew, you find yourself doing the same things over and over again, and the boss fights, when you have to babysit your crewmates, frustrate to no end.

Still, I really liked the game (I'd probably give it a 4 out of 5, or a B+ or something). So that's saying a lot about the crop of games I tried this year.

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Aetos
@DanielJW: I have to agree with you on this. I was also dissappointed by The Conduit. The levels felt boring and the story was pretty lame as well. I feel it could have been so much better.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee
@VinceNotVance:
That pun was sooo intended =P
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ImperiousRix
@AltonBrown said:
" @Abyssfull: Yeah, RE5 was pretty disappointing. I liked Sheva, though. "
I really disliked RE5, but seeing as I had never played a Resident Evil game prior to that, I didn't even put it on my radar. 
PS: Holy shit, it's Alton Brown.
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cstrang

I was probably let down the most by Brutal Legend.  RTS is disguise (*Cue Transformers music....?*).

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By chaser324  Moderator  Online

The biggest disappointment for me was Scribblenauts. That game had so much promise. It mostly delivered on the basic premise of writing anything and spawning it into the world, but as soon as you started trying to interact with all of that stuff, the game completely broke down. Definitely some of the jankiest controls I've wrestled with in a very long time.

RE5 and Brutal Legend would be my runner ups.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hot_Karl
@Abyssfull said:
" @VinceNotVance: That pun was sooo intended =P "

Yeah...it was. I was actually going to say "busts its load" but then I remember that this forum would be all over that Oscar Wilde-esque wordplay.
landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By landon

I also agree with Prototype. I was hyping that game for months and it just wasn't what I thought it was going to be.
I also would add Red Faction: Gorilla. That game was way to repetitive for my liking. I don't know how it got anything higher than a 7.
On a side note, I liked RE5. Though I've never been a RE fan.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Damnation 

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Barrock

Scribblenauts and ODST are up there. Scribble was kind of doomed because it was hyped to the moon before it came out. ODST should have been a budget title. However, I don't have a lot of people on my Friends list in Live so I haven't played Firefight. Sad you can't just join a random game.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ImperiousRix
@Landon said:
"I also agree with Prototype. I was hyping that game for months and it just wasn't what I thought it was going to be. I also would add Red Faction: Gorilla. That game was way to repetitive for my liking. I don't know how it got anything higher than a 7. On a side note, I liked RE5. Though I've never been a RE fan. "
Oh yes, Red Faction: Guerrilla.  Although I thoroughly enjoyed that game, by the end, I was just wanting it to be over.  It has a good skeleton of gameplay up to build upon, so I'm hoping a sequel is more of a fleshed out experience.  I also really didn't care for its multiplayer. 
Still, considering I didn't play any other Red Faction game and got it solely for blowing shit up, I can't say I was disappointed.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Linkyshinks
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By MysteriousBob
zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zagzagovich

Brutal Legend. They could at least come up with an ending but no they did not.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NoXious

Brutal Legend, too short of an experience for it's 60$ price. I'm no fan of Multiplayer so the prospect of it being a warm-up for MP was not my cup of tea.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By VWGTI

Resident Evil 5, Scribblenauts, Brutal Legend, and MUA 2.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By DrRandle

inFAMOUS. Brad had me all excited for that game but it was terrible. I don't care what his review says: the story was awful, the character animations were noxious, and honestly it was just another GTA clone with some mild platforming and the inability to travel conveniently and quickly. (the train tracks don't do shit.)

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By KaosAngel

Dragon Quest IX, that game fucking sucks more donkey balls than TooHuman and Halo 3.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CaptainObvious

Borderlands. Even with friends it was boring.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Evilsbane

Killzone 2, just got my new PS3 not to long ago and was pretty excited to play it, I wanted the campaign to be so much more than it was, the non-exsistant story just couldn't keep the pretty visuals afloat, plus I feel they really short changed a few areas really when it comes to vehicles(spoilers i guess) You drive a tank and a cool mech thing for like...1 minute each they should have made those parts more significant.
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ImperiousRix
@NoXious said:
"Brutal Legend, too short of an experience for it's 60$ price. I'm no fan of Multiplayer so the prospect of it being a warm-up for MP was not my cup of tea. "
Yeh, and it's a shame because, had it been advertised mainly for its multiplayer and RTS elements, less people would likely have played it, but I think those who did would have higher opinions of it. 
I've played about 6 or 7 online matches (probably 6 to 7 times more than most people have played that particular mode) and it's pretty damn fun and deceptively strategic.  It's too bad that the single player, although supposedly a tutorial for it, doesn't give you anywhere near the skills you need to actually be competitive in it.  Yet another failure for the game IMO.
SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2  - they stripped just about everything out of the game that was great in the first one and turned it from an Action RPG to a button mashing mess of autoleveling and bland costumes.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Cheapoz

SF IV - Was really hoping to get into a fighting game, it looked awesome and the rumour was there were tutorials to help new players get into the game. Turned out to be the same barrier to entry as always and it went back to the store promptly. 

Also MW2 MP, after our collective "fears are unfounded" from 402, turned out, we were damn well spot on the money.

alexeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By alexeik

ODST. That game could've been a lot better. Personally, any Halo game is a game I want to play, but this one left a bad taste.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ImperiousRix
@Pixelator said:
"ODST. That game could've been a lot better. Personally, any Halo game is a game I want to play, but this one left a bad taste. "
Aw.  ODST was actually my favorite Halo campaign to play through.  Maybe I'm just a sucker for the squad comradery thing.
LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LiquidSwords

Fuck you Brutal Legend! Fuck you up your stupid ass! I thought  you were going to be a metal game smash 'em up, but we get some lame RTS/hack&slash/ back to shitty RTS! You were "sniff" supposed to be "sniff" good damn you! You were....supposed..... to be good!  Damn yous all to hells!
ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ArcLyte

RE5. 

RE4 still exceeds it in every way. ditch the partner stuff.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mordukai

So far it's Dragon Age: Origins. The game is good but not at all what it was hyped to be and there some bad decision making (on Bioware's part) that just prevents this game from truly shining. Personally I still think that NWN and the Baldur's Gate series are better. 

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles
@DrRandle said:
"inFAMOUS. Brad had me all excited for that game but it was terrible. I don't care what his review says: the story was awful, the character animations were noxious, and honestly it was just another GTA clone with some mild platforming and the inability to travel conveniently and quickly. (the train tracks don't do shit.) "

I was hoping I wasn't the only one i'm glad I rented it first.
Mechwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mechwing

I got to say that MUA2 and Brutal Legend were my real dissappoints of 2009, like i had such high hopes for MUA2, since i loved the first one which had like Everything u wanted from marvel, but this time it was so stripped and boring i went well Fuck. and Brutal legend, i Really had no idea what i was going into, i'm like RTS? on console? well fuck. but i tried it anyway and guess what i was right. Fuck.

leky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39  Edited By leky1
@KaosAngel said:
" Dragon Quest IX, that game fucking sucks more donkey ballsthan TooHuman and Halo 3. "
Ow!WTF?!Why did you say that?!You know what you just did?What you just caused?A chain of fanboyic idiotic evemts!It may not happen yet...but believe me...THEY WILL!!!!!
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ImperiousRix

Lotta people saying MUA 2, so I figger I'll comment on that.

If I put the two games MUA and MUA 2 right next to each other, which one is better really comes out as a wash in my book.  While MUA had a more attractive playable character list and took you to every place you'd concievably want to go in the Marvel Universe, the story holding it all together didn't really give much motivation, tension, or excitement for the player to sink their teeth into.  MUA 2 really cuts down the number of Marvel characters you wanna play as and keeps a more real-world, perhaps blander setting, its story actually has a visible arc with at least one slightly meaningful decision within it to keep the player engaged.  The two games play nearly identically and have strengths and weaknesses involved in their RPG elements.  MUA had less visual polish, but more accurate-looking characters and costumes, while MUA2 looks nicer, but made some severe muck-ups with how characters look.

So, in my opinion, it's indecipherable which is actually a better game.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mrnitropb

Puzzle Quest Galatrix broke my heart.

AndrooD2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By AndrooD2
@DrRandle: I wouldn't go so far as to say inFAMOUS is terrible, but it's not as deep or as interesting as I was lead to believe by several reviews. I agree that the story was terrible and the in game cut-scene animations were jarringly poor. You forgot to mention the morality mechanic being a complete waste of time and effort. I feel the developers would have been better served by allowing players to just choose to play as good or evil in the opening moments of the game and leaving those binary, boringly obvious moral decision moments out altogether. I thought the shooting (lightning bolting?) in that game was a lot of fun though.

My most disappointing game: Dragon Age on 360.  I knew it was the inferior version, but I'm haven't a tough time looking past the terribly compressed audio, the near-original XBox level graphics and the cumbersome control scheme. i want to love it, but it just won't let me. Oh, for a PC!
septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43  Edited By septim

Wow I couldn't disagree more. Batman AA, Uncharted 2, Dragon Age, COD MW2, and Assassin's Creed 2 all met or exceeded their lofty expectations. 2008 was good (Fable / Fallout) but there were plenty of games that didn't live up to the hype (World at War, Gears 2).

Brutal Legend was pretty bad but I wasn't ever that jazzed about it so I don't feel letdown. Forza 3 didn't do anything for me either. Nothing wrong with it I just felt like I was playing Forza 2 again. Prototype and Red Faction were both kind of bland. Neither one was bad but I wasn't really compelled to finish either. I suppose coming out right after inFamous did them no favors.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#44  Edited By Meowayne

Scribblenauts. While by no means a bad game, it was hugely disappointing that the game succeeded in what everyone doubted (the library) yet horribly failed on basic levels such as controls (which could have been fixed in 1 days worth of work!), physics and puzzle design. Boo. 

Also, every single Wii game that was released after June and didn't support MotionPlus. (Which is all of them!)

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Modern Warfare 2, in a sense.
The story let me down phenomenally.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Andorski

inFamous for me.  Controlling Cole and his powers was a blast, and just moving around the city was awesome... but the enemies lacked variety, the story was bland, the narrative sucked, and the missions structure had all the flaws of the first Assassin's Creed.  Also, the design of the city just was not appealing.  I understand that the whole town just experienced a huge explosion, but the environment that the game put me in was a place that I did not want to stay in.

Nightroad91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Nightroad91

The Saboteur...

ReapersPuppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ReapersPuppy
@SteamPunkJin:@SteamPunkJin:  aww I wanted to play this one! I havent even played the 1st one but
2nd one was on sale an I thought it'd be better anyways =[ guess not

oh yea and RE5 was a disappointment =[
4thHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By 4thHorseman

I would probably say Scribblenauts. It was fun the first twenty minutes or so. Than any other time I picked it up I played about 5 minutes tops. 

Was expecting much more.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#50  Edited By gingertastic_10

Borderlands.... (shiver)