Most older games transitioned from 2D sidescrolling to 3D. Which mostly 3D franchise needs the sidescrolling treatment?

Avatar image for sometingbanuble
sometingbanuble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

We have all been clamoring for 2D games transition to over-the-shoulder 3D games. That's been done. Which 3D game transitioned to 2D (particularly side-scrolling) the best? As a proud Switch owner it's important that i keep games small (since my microsd reader is busted). I'd really like to see a Tomb Raider game transition over to 2D with some of their mechanics still intact, like Assassin Creed Chronicles games.

THE RIGHT ANSWER does not include games that were 2D first.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@sometingbanuble

One that springs to mind is Dark Souls. I know there are spiritual 2d souls like games but not an actual Dark Souls or Demon Soul games.

Mars92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@johnlocke That's basically Symphony of the Night. Different tone I guess, but Dark Souls is kind of 3D Castlevania done right.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

Far Cry. Take Metal Slug's action and give it Noita's emergent gameplay.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see a 2D Resident Evil. A top down one. Kind of like the Sweet Home, but without the RPG battles.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@retris: like resident evil gaiden?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

There was a 2D Tomb Raider game on Game Boy Color. I remember playing it a lot as a kid, but I cannot vouch for its quality over twenty years later.

This may or may not look interesting to you. Actually, a lot of PS1/N64 franchises that got really popular eventually got Game Boy Color/Advance versions that were 2D. Crash Bandicoot and Spyro both had some entries on the GBA, and I bet that Crash Bandicoot one still holds up.

BloodRayne had a 2D reboot thing like a decade ago.

If you're looking for something specific to the Switch... uh... Yooka Laylee's first entry was 3D and then its second was a sidescroller. I don't know if a game that is rendered in 3D but plays like a 2D game fits, but there you go.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wollywoo

A 2D side-scrolling Metroidvania version of Insomniac's Spider-Man could be fun. Not sure if that counts since obviously there have been 2D Spider-Man games. In general a lot of current action-adventure franchises could probably be made into decent Metroidvanias. God of War, Tomb Raider, Dark Souls, Batman, etc. 2D Splatoon might be fun too. Maybe 2D fortnite?

tricerarock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tricerarock

A 2D Infamous beat em up could be rad as fuck. I'd play it. We are kinda' spoiled for beat em ups right now though.