Most Surprisingly Good Game of 2009

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By mattbodega

What was the game you played in 2009 that's quality surprised you the most? 

It seems like, in terms of general quality, the answers would have to be Batman: Arkham Asylum, UFC Undisputed 2009, or Shadow Complex: Games that came from developers without a sterling pedigree. Rocksteady's previous game was an above average(but totally ridiculous) FPS, Yukes has been churning out dumb wrestling games for a while now, and Shadow Complex came from the guys who made Advent Rising and Undertow. The deck was stacked against these guys big time. 

Or maybe it was a solid franchise entry in a long forgotten franchise. Red Faction Guerrilla seems to have single-handedly resurrected a PS2 franchise no one really cared about. Street Fighter 4 had to live up to the quintessential fighting game AND make up for Street Fighter 3, which it did with style. 

Or maybe it's a game out of nowhere, a game that didn't have any kind of precedent for it's success. 1 Vs 100 seemed like a dumb trivia game, but, in practice, turned out to be one of the most interesting, engrossing uses of Xbox Live, and proved the viability of low impact trivia games.  Noby Noby Boy was just as ridiculous as Katamari Damacy in a completely different way, and it's success was by no means assured. But it's fascinating exploratory game play and weird "Everyone in the world in playing together to  unlock new areas" made for a game that was, if nothing else, worth revisiting every 2 to 3 months. 

Or maybe it was a game that had no business being even competent, let alone okay, like 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand.

What do you guys think? What was the most surprisingly good game you played in 2009?

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By harris

Probably Osmos since, at least for me, it came out of nowhere and seemed like a stupid idea at first, but turned out to be a great game with lots of depth.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187
@MattBodega: People cared about Red Faction.  That's why there were two of them made on PS2, and the second even got ported over to the original Xbox...and this third one was greenlit.  They were just working on a new GeoMod engine for quite a while. 

Personally, it would be Shadow Complex.  I have to completely agree with your comments on that...and personally, after playing Shadow Complex, I would love for Majesco to give those guys the Advent trilogy rights and have them remake Advent Rising and release the rest of the series! 

The only other one aside from that would have to be Ghostbusters.  I don't know why people didn't feel so good about that game, as it was excellent.  Yeah, it doesn't have a year's worth of replay value, but it was a really well-made game all the way through.  Even the multiplayer was fun.
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By hatking

UFC maybe... I mean come on those guys aren't really known for great titles... I refer to both Yukes and the UFC.  I bought the game on release played the hell out of it for a week and sold it about a month ago... I'm just not the right person to market a fighting game to... but the fact they held my interest at all should mean something.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Karmum

Batman: Arkham Asylum, no doubt. I remember when people were in an uproar about that one review being a month or so out before the game even came out. Saying the reviewer was bought out and all. Look what happened a month later. I was questioning the game myself, since there hadn't been a successful Batman game in awhile (if ever). I'm glad I took the plunge, it ended up being a very, very good game.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jakob187
@Karmum: True dat.  I forgot that I at one point said that game was going to "fucking suck balls".
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Rayfield

Skate 2 blew me away in how fun it was. 

And yeah, I expected Batman to be good, but not that good.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Karmum

Also, XBLA game Panzer General: Allied Assault. You guys probably hadn't heard of it, but I actually reviewed it for a website (which I won't link, cause i don't want self promotion), and it ended up being a pretty good game. If you're into that war stuff (you know, guns and stuff) and turn based cards, you might enjoy it.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By shadows_kill

For a lot of people im guessing its going to be Borderlands because it seemed no one really cared/heard about it til a week or 2 before release (except for me, been waiting for it since gameinformer had it as their front page). 

The most surprising game for me this year was probably Call of Juarez Bound in Blood which i bought about a week or 2 after release and it was a pretty alright game.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Gabriel

Guerrilla put their money where their mouth was and delivered a better than expected title with Killzone 2, It might not be as popular as Halo or Call of Duty but the muttiplayer in my opinion is leagues above those two titles.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By gingertastic_10
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Jeust

Batman: Arkham Asylum foushoooo!

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Bigandtasty

I'm going to go with RFG. I expected nothing out of it and then when the reviews came around I took a second look at it.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gabriel

Oh and Demons souls was awesome as well

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I'm going to say Blood On The Sand, because seriously, who expected that game to be okay? 

...where my skull?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jakob187
@Gabriel: Yeah, I think a LOT of people were surprised by Demon's Souls actually being worthwhile.  I remember the reaction when that first review came around, and people just couldn't believe it.  Then again, this is the same company that brought us King's Field!
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Romination

Left 4 Dead 2. 

At least according to the boycotters...

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By bwooduhs
@Karmum said:
" Batman: Arkham Asylum, no doubt. I remember when people were in an uproar about that one review being a month or so out before the game even came out. Saying the reviewer was bought out and all. Look what happened a month later. I was questioning the game myself, since there hadn't been a successful Batman game in awhile (if ever). I'm glad I took the plunge, it ended up being a very, very good game. "
I got to agree with this.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By MysteriousBob

Hate to be predictable but I have to say Arkham Asylum. It was a licensed game from an unknown developer. The review controversy with GamesMaster made me suspicious (why would you need to control reviews like that unless it sucked?) and I'm always critical of games that get huge marketing pushes. Seems like they're trying to hard to sell the game.

I expected a pretty crappy game but what I got was a serious contender for GOTY. "Surprising" is an understatement.

MushroomSamba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By MushroomSamba

I actually enjoyed Red Faction on PS2, so I wasn't exactly shocked that I'd like RFG as well. Still it surprised me at just how unbelievably fun it was. That GeoMod engine is pure bliss. Easily one of the most addictive games I've played in the decade, simply because you can lose hours just destroying random shit in the most hilarious ways.

Borderlands is another game that ended up to be a huge time sink. I was pretty wary going in, and test drove my friend's copy first. It wasn't even love at first sight...I had to play a couple hours before becoming completely addicted. And from there, I offered up my soul to the glory of The Vault. Easily my pick for "Most Surprisingly Good Game of the Year".

Batman: Arkham Asylum should probably find a spot on the list as well. I mean, it looked fantastic from all the gameplay vids and previews I saw and read, but that lingering doubt in the back of my head kept repeating "Comic book videogame, damnit!". Luckily, the game lived up to the promise.

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#21  Edited By Spiritof

Torchlight.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22  Edited By damnboyadvance

Batman for sure.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sprizmo

Batman takes the cake. Shadow Complex would be the other.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Red

Batman: Arkham Asylum fo sho. I didn't really get the art style, controls, or the hype for the first two hours or so of the game, but then after the Bane sequence, everything really started to click. 

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

LitlleBigPlanet. I allways used to make fun of my friends for liking it, I said it was for 5 years olds. Then I borrowed it from m one friend to try it out and I was completey blown away...a part of me still hates him for taking the game back.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman, I had really no interest in the game but it turned out awesome.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#27  Edited By EpicSteve

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. It's actually a competent shooter.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gearhead

-I've played copious amounts of 1 vs. 100, so that's quite high on my list.
-Borderlands. Completely off my radar until I saw the quick look which both introduced it, and sold me on the game. :P

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By jonnyboy

When I saw the 'Splosion man quick look I thought it was going to be a forgettable novelty game, but it's the best XBLA game I've played in 2009 hands down.

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrSnow

What about Asssassin's creed two i thought it was going to be all the same like the first one . I was wrong.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#31  Edited By ZombiePie

Well I'm going to come from the far left and say South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play! Because I expected nothing from that game, especially seeing how I played that terrible South Park Nintendo 64 cart racing game, and ended up playing a more than competent tower defense game.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Damian

Being pretty aware of what Shadow Complex was, I was still shocked by the results. Having a quality, re-playable title give you old-school gaming flashbacks for that price is not a common occurrence.

Avatar image for blasphemousmonkey
blasphemousmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RISEN
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By EVO

I knew Shatter was gonna be good, but not that good.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By MildMolasses

Definitly Batman: AA. It looked great, but we've all been burned by games that look good. Plus it was made by a pretty much unknown developer and generally licensed games suck, so why would this be any different. I wanted it to be as good as it looked, and it was better than that.
ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ParanoidFreak

Blazblue was great, I don't even remember hearing about it until it came out, but it was great fun with a fight-stick.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Vorbis

Majesty 2, thought the quicklook seemed alright, picked it up for £5 off Steam and I can't stop playing it. It has its issues but reminds me of a long forgotten game called Beasts & Bumpkins, along with a mix of AoE, Nations and Settlers.

Also got into some jrpgs this year which have suprised me, Persona 4 for example.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GunnBjorn

I'm a sucker for indie developers. 
Amanita Design's MachinariuM
I damn well know this one is not going to win, but i wanted to name a game other than the obvious GOTY-contenders.
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#39  Edited By Cerza

Torchlight. I never really cared for Fate and going in I thought Torchlight would be fun, but not this much fun. The game is great and getting it for $20 feels like I stole it.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By Jeffsekai

For me it was Street Fighter 4, to be honest I went into it with the normal im hyped about this game mentality (due to listening to bombcast etc.) and it blew me away.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#41  Edited By sjschmidt93

Batman-When I heard it was good (around 2-3 months before it's release) I dismissed it. A good Batman game? No! I was wrong. 

AC2-This game is fucking amazing. The first one was pretty bad so it surprised me. 

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By guiseppe

Batman: Arkham Asylum.. Surprisingly excellent game :).

Madyew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By Madyew

Definitely Arkham Asylum, though I started thinking it could be pretty good a couple months before it came out.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#44  Edited By Belonpopo

Red Faction: Guerilla for sure I love that. It is everything anyone wants in a game is you think about it; Explosions, jet packs, cool car things, and a wasteland. 

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By spankingaddict

Batman AA !!!

Cadmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Cadmus

I'd go with Arkham Asylum because this is the first decent game Eidos has put out in a very long time.