BassFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BassFace

We've  got to have some here! 

Just curious as to what instruments people play / what types of music are your favourite to play, who you idolize as a musician, whatever you want to say!

Personally I've been playing bass guitar for about a year, and I love playing Jazz  stuff. Geddy Lee and Victor Wooten are up there for me as my favourite bassists.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By Atlas

I play drums. Been playing properly for about a year. I'm fairly good, I guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played the guitar for... 6 or 7 years now.

Also, keyboard, bass, accordion.

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SolemnOaf

Guitar and piano here.  I really dig blues, classic rock, and really anything that's got good rythm and melodies.  My dark secret:  I probably listen to the MegaMan 2 full soundtrack on youtube at least once a week.

MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MoldOnHold

I play bass guitar too. I mostly listen to various forms of rock, but am open to other genres. My favorite bassists are Geddy Lee, Flea, Tim Commerford (sp?), among others. :D

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By Atlas

Giant Bomb Band! How awesome would that be?

Nahhh.

AlzoXP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By AlzoXP

I've been playing guitar now for about 12 years now.  I love it.  I also second a Giant Bomb band (but only if i can be in it).  I actually just bought the boss GT-8 pedal and its a friggin monster.  I recommend this to all guitarists.

Rock on!

PinkElephant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By PinkElephant

I play jazz too! I've been playing alto saxophone for 12 years or so and I'm completing a jazz minor at USC right now.

iamsickofspam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iamsickofspam

Guitar, Bass, Keyboard player and Sequencer programmer here, I'm pretty horrible at keyboards in realtime though.

Been at it around 5/6 years now, i did fool around with guitars as a kid, but never actually tried to learn anything until i was about 18/19 Years old.

Main genres of influence are rock, metal, industrial, funk, classical, electronica, 80s pop and old school hip hop, but i dig most music really.

Musical influences, thats a tough question, i dont think i can answer that without missing out somebody important, so ill just say dozens of people.

PS: Nice to see some Rush and Victor Wooten love.

Bkorns4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Bkorns4

As sad as it is i just started playing drums because i found i was really good at Rock Band. >.<

Anyways, i've been playing drums for about a month, and as it turns out im not bad at all. I learned a lot from Rock Band, and im taking lessons. I can already play a great deal of songs, and now when people make fun of me for playing a fake intrument, i can shove that in their face.

My idol is Neil Pert of Rush

Resonate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Resonate

John Lennon and Bono :P

HomoPocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HomoPocket

I'm a Synthesizer guy. Hobbyist at best, I've been so off and on throughout the years that whatever skills or knowledge I gain I lose during my Off time. Trying to build a decent rig so I can start getting back into it before the end of the month..This time I'd like to stick to it without any more breaks. Proud owner of a Korg X5, Korg X5DR, Korg M3R, and Edirol SD-80 as far as hardware synths go..... Software VST/DXi consists of Korg Legacy Collection and Edirol Orchestra. Yes, I am a Korg whore :D.... 

I'd love to learn some simple electric guitar techniques this year. I have a Fender Strat from years ago, I need to get off of my ass and get some basic tutorials soon.

Favorite types of music to play? New Age, Progressive Rock, Orchestral.
As for the people I idolize as musicians, I idolize quite a few video game musicians, past and present.  Have a lot of love for Spencer Nilsen, Chris Huelsbeck, Vince DiCola, Yuzo Koshiro, the guys at Falcom's JDK Band, and a few others I'll update the list with later.

Hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Hannibal

I play bass. I've been playing for about 2 years now, but the dreaded Rock Band drums have been cutting into my practice time lately.

I also played violin for 7 years and got really good. I still have the ol' fiddle somewhere around here.

I'm a fan of Les Claypool, so while my fingering technique leaves a lot to be desired I'm really good at playing chords on the bass for a relative beginner.

SlayingShogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SlayingShogun

I play Bass and Guitar but I love playing bass way better.
can you guess who y favorite bass player is from my pic :)

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Otacon

I play guitar and have just started playing violin which I'm really enjoying.

InnerBlueAbyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By InnerBlueAbyss

I play about 11 different ones, guitar is my fav though

AlzoXP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By AlzoXP

Why don't me make some sort of collaboration album.  I was part of a site who tried to do this before but it never came to much.  You can do it all sorts of ways i.e.  a whole track each or a couple of Giant Bombers create a song together?!  What do ya say? No?  I'll get my coat then :P

deej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deej

I'm a cellist, been playing for 10 years now.  Its funny, I play classical unless its stuff that I wrote myself, but I'm a huge fan of jam bands and ska music.

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By dj

I have played Guitar on and off for a year or two. I would hardly call myself good though.

iamsickofspam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iamsickofspam
HomoPocket said:
Proud owner of a Korg X5, Korg X5DR, Korg M3R, and Edirol SD-80 as far as hardware synths go..... Software VST/DXi consists of Korg Legacy Collection and Edirol Orchestra. Yes, I am a Korg whore :D....  
Sweet collection, I'm just left with my MS2000b and my Electribe ESX, used to have a Microkorg too, but i sold that on to one of my buddies, i also have the Korg Legacy Collection, but its the stand alone software, i dont have the awesome MS20 Replica controller.

Friend of mine has craploads of hardware, Access Virus TI, Moog Voyager, amongst other things. I want an Alesis Ion in the future, dont really have the cash for it at the moment though.

Would i be right in presuming you have some kind of Monitor and Mixer DAW setup going, Kind of Monitors you have?

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I play the piano (badly), I used to be able to play a mean fiddle when I was young. I also sing in a band, although singing is not much of an instrument.

iamsickofspam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iamsickofspam
ParanoidFreak said:
I also sing in a band, although singing is not much of an instrument.
Don't knock yourself dude,  I've never been able to sing in front of people have always lacked the confidence, totally a different kind of confidence to playing an instrument in my opinion.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lashe

Guitar, Bass, Piano and Voice.

Absolutely love playing Jazz music with the National Youth Jazz Orchestra, as well as writing my own Acoustic/Rock stuff, playing in Ska bands, Metal bands... everything. The fun I have playing with the Jazz Orchestra is completely identical to the thrill of playing my homebrewed Acoustic stuff -- I love it all!

I live and breathe music and I hope to be either teaching professionally (I currently teach at a private level), or be composing my way through life after my Music degree =].

As for idols, I would have to mention atleast both Andy McKee and Tommy Emmanuel, but my idols go so far further than all that that I could not list them all in one sitting!

ankyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ankyon

i play the guitar. i like to rock!

and yeah... there is only 1 boss
Edordorito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Edordorito

I play drums, i've been playing for about 8 years. I also play guitar and bass but those are more for fun, im not to serious about those.

I mainly play metal, ska, funk, jazz and hip hop on drums and metal and ska on guitar and bass.

As far as idols, for drums i'd say Mike Portnoy, Chris Adler, Dave Lambardo and George Kollias.  I dont really have any idols on guitar or bass, I just take influence from bands i listen to.
Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Oriental_Jams

I used to play a lot of instruments, no longer though.

christilton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By christilton

I play piano and drums, but I'm primarily a composer. It's nice to know there's lots of musicians here!

Shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Shade

I played piano when I was younger for about 3 years, and have been playing guitar for around 4 or 5 years.

Gnorbooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gnorbooth

Been playing Bass guitar for nine years now.  Acoustic guitar for about six.  I love playing metal and rock, though its all fair game to me.  Jazz and Blues are great to jam on with buddies.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Colonel_Cool

I have been playing the cello for about 6-7 years now. I absolutely admire Rostropovich and Jacqueline Du Pre. (They're dead now.)

euryb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By euryb

I've been playing bass for about 5 years. I'm inspired by any kind of music from jazz to metal . If you play bass and havent heard of Billy Sheehan check him out.

MSG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By MSG

I've been playing trumpet rather seriously for over 10 years now.  I pretty much love playing anything on it, especially anything resembling big band.  Strangely, I'm not really fond of listening to people play trumpet, but I adore Miles Davis' music.

I also play a bit of piano and guitar, by ear of course, and love playing any percussion instrument that's not a drum set. 

On a side note, I think they should set up a separate music sub-forum here in gen-disc or off-topic.  I'd love to have all those threads in one place.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Clean

I DJ with Acid Pro on my laptop

Gnorbooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gnorbooth
Euryb said:
"I've been playing bass for about 5 years. I'm inspired by any kind of music from jazz to metal . If you play bass and havent heard of Billy Sheehan check him out."
Billy Sheehan is a madman on bass.  Truly an unstoppable force.  Sheehan, Geddy Lee, and John Myung make up the Holy Trinity of Bass Gods.
CarthX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CarthX

Played drums for about two years now. But when asked if I'm a musician I usually say no. I don't play drums to make music, or be in a band, but because it's fun and I like listening to a rhythm. ^__^

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MisterSpiffy

I play guitar.  I focus on metal, mainly thrash.

DK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DK
sdodd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sdodd02

french horn and trumpet for 6 years and just recently got into drums.

AceOfSpades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AceOfSpades

I've been playing guitar for about 3 years.  I just started learning a little bit about music theory and damn that stuff is complicated.

Philanthropy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Philanthropy

Guitar for about 5 years. I wanna pick up bass soon as well.

bumbletoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bumbletoes

Guitar. But maybe someday I'd like to try learning to play the sackbut. No seriously, it's a real instrument look it up!

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#42  Edited By citizenkane

I have been playing the piano for almost 10 years.  I play mostly classical, but also a little rock as well.

osmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By osmiles

Started playing the guitar for a little over a year now, I would say I'm all that special but I am getting better. I enjoy playing rock and blues stuff mostly.

Wengistein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Wengistein

Give some love for the drummer. I've been playing for five years now. I mainly play stuff with lots of groove and rhythm, and sometimes indie pop. Sometimes I love playing busy, sometimes I like playing simple, and my biggest influence is Chad Smith.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By breadfan

I've been playing guitar for five years now.  I play mostly blues stuff from B.B. King, Eric Clapton, and Stevie Ray Vaughan as well as other bands such as the Doors, Bob Dylan, the Band, and Cream.

PartTimeNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By PartTimeNinja

I started playing guitar a couple years ago.

Edenfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Edenfire

Playing guitar for about 7 years now.

Currently play in a thrash metal band based here in Dublin, Ireland

whoozwah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By whoozwah

I play mainly guitar and keyboard. I did a little drumming and Bass guitar in high school but didn't pursue it like I did 6 string and keyboard. I also know my way around a sequencer. I have some tunes up on myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/lucidityband

Lucidity is the name of my "band". It's all recorded by me except the bass. Check it out.

Katatonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Katatonic

I've been playing guitar the longest (around 7 years) since I stuck with it.  I also know how to play okay on the bass, drums, trumpet, euphonium, and a couple chords on the piano haha.

Katatonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Katatonic
Edenfire said:
"Playing guitar for about 7 years now.

Currently play in a thrash metal band based here in Dublin, Ireland
"
Do you have a link to any of your band's music?  I'm a big metal fan.