NCSoft being sued by Worlds.com

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Geno

Apparently there's a patent for "System and method for enabling users to interact in a virtual space" owned by Worlds.com. NCSoft, the creators of games like Guild Wars, Lineage II and City of Heroes is being sued by them for apparently infringing on their patent by making an MMORPG. A news story can be found here.

Last time I checked, I didn't know a company had a patent for an entire genre of video games, and a huge one at that. Who's next? Blizzard?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Jayge_

lol @ them not going after Blizzard, who would be an infinitely more high-profile and profitable target. The little shits go after NCSoft because they think it won't be as publicized? Douchebags.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Rowr

Well, they gotta better chance of knocking off the little guy.

And then its open season.

Publicity has nothing to do with it.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jayge_
Rowr said:
"Well, they gotta better chance of knocking off the little guy.

And then its open season.

Publicity has nothing to do with it."
They also have a better chance of not getting as much public backlash for their retarded actions.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Geno

Also as another user pointed out on the news story site, the patent was filed nearly a decade after the first MMO was created. It's dirty of them to pursue this lawsuit and it's doubly dirty of them to go after NCSoft, which is a good company going through some bad times at the moment. However, since the ruling of this lawsuit will affect the entire MMO industry and provide a precedent, I don't think other companies such as Blizzard will just stand idly by. Epic lawyers assemble!

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jayge_
Geno said:
"Also as another user pointed out on the news story site, the patent was filed nearly a decade after the first MMO was created. It's dirty of them to pursue this lawsuit and it's doubly dirty of them to go after NCSoft, which is a good company going through some bad times at the moment. However, since the ruling of this lawsuit will affect the entire MMO industry and provide a precedent, I don't think other companies such as Blizzard will just stand idly by. Epic lawyers assemble!"
I dunno. Besides Tabula Rasa, NCSoft is doing alright, aren't they? Guild Wars is one of the most popular MMOs ever.
DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By DARKIDO07

Is that all people care about now a days is money? Seriously is it worth putting hundreds of people out of work just so you can make money off of a silly lawsuit. Really World.com suing because someone made an MMORPG would be like EPIC suing Naughty Dog because both have games that are third person shooters with a cover system.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Lunarbunny

Well I can't find the patent, but I'm sure NCSoft can come up with prior art in MUDs/MOOs (1978) or even early MMOs like Neverwinter Nights (1991).

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Geno

Here's the patent link: http://www.google.com/patents?id=wv5-AAAAEBAJ&dq=7,181,690

And I really hope they can pull through with prior art, it's not a guarantee win but for such a common sense case like this I assume the courts will do the right thing.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By Warfare
caption
caption
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince
Geno said:
"Also as another user pointed out on the news story site, the patent was filed nearly a decade after the first MMO was created. It's dirty of them to pursue this lawsuit and it's doubly dirty of them to go after NCSoft, which is a good company going through some bad times at the moment. However, since the ruling of this lawsuit will affect the entire MMO industry and provide a precedent, I don't think other companies such as Blizzard will just stand idly by. Epic lawyers assemble!"
Super Lawyers Assemble!
Super Lawyers Assemble!
Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lunarbunny

Well it specifies 3D so I guess Neverwinter Nights doesn't apply... but then we go to Meridian 59 (thanks Wikipedia) in 1995, 12 years prior to the patent. Or we could go with something popular, like Everquest or Asheron's Call (1999), which is still 8 years ahead.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 52

#13  Edited By tearhead
Jayge said:
"lol @ them not going after Blizzard, who would be an infinitely more high-profile and profitable target. The little shits go after NCSoft because they think it won't be as publicized? Douchebags."
I woulden't really call NCSoft a "little guy".   Yeah, they're not as big as say EA, but it's not exactly a small operation of like 10 guys in an office. 

This whole lawsuit is ludicrous and they're only targeting NCSoft because it is the middle man between Blizzard and some small company.  So they can get the most money with the least resistance.
dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By dsplayer1010
Warfare said:
"
caption
caption
"

You beat me to it
Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lunarbunny

It's definitely for the money, otherwise they probably would have gone after Runescape first.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Technically, most online games fit the description.

You know who would be the biggest target right now, even bigger than Blizzard? Sony, for making Home. It would be much wiser for World.com to sue Sony because they have $, and Home just came out, giving World.com the excuse that "they just noticed", so it won't look like they are out just for financial gain.

Home also fits the description well.
"System and method for enabling users to interact in a virtual space"
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Geno

Do you guys really think that the lawsuit will go through? If NCSoft loses the whole industry is in trouble, as there will be an extremely strong and recent precedent.

These money grubbing bastards make smokers who sue cigarette companies look like saints.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hamz
Geno said:
"Do you guys really think that the lawsuit will go through? If NCSoft loses the whole industry is in trouble, as there will be an extremely strong and recent precedent.

These money grubbing bastards make smokers who sue cigarette companies look like saints."
Ok first of all lets not blow this out of proportion, its not going to suddenly kill an entire genre of video game. Secondly they went after NCSoft because like Jayge said, they are the little guy and aren't doing too well at the moment financially. Why do you think we've not seen or heard anything about GW2 in over a year after the announcement?

And finally, I would like to see them sue Blizzard who will likely call up some demons from Azeroth's firey hells to smite those fools down with high level rade gear. Then hopefully share the loot and XP with us all....ok I'll stop the nerdy talk now.

But seriously I can't imagine Blizzard actually standing by while the possible future of their golden child and cash machine WoW could be in slight trouble.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187

While Hamz is undercrediting the significance of this type of thing, let's bring the reality forward:

If a court, any court, were to rule in the favor of Worlds.com, then it would essentially go beyond JUST MMORPG games.  Essentially, that patent could be translated to something like flat-out online gaming.  Then who's to say it couldn't be led to internet interactions in general?  MySpace?  Facebook?  Napster?

To be honest, the patent is an extremely broad, vague descriptor that is easily defendable.  I would imagine that, most likely, a judge would laugh and say "yeah right" to this.  However, this could easily become a monumental case if some judge were screwy enough to say that Worlds.com is totally in the right.

Going after NCSoft is the smart first move on their part.  Let's hope this gets dismissed ASAP.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jayge_
Tearhead said:
"Jayge said:
"lol @ them not going after Blizzard, who would be an infinitely more high-profile and profitable target. The little shits go after NCSoft because they think it won't be as publicized? Douchebags."
I woulden't really call NCSoft a "little guy".   Yeah, they're not as big as say EA, but it's not exactly a small operation of like 10 guys in an office. 

This whole lawsuit is ludicrous and they're only targeting NCSoft because it is the middle man between Blizzard and some small company.  So they can get the most money with the least resistance."
NCSoft is the smaller target than Blizzard. I definitely didn't call NCSoft the little guy. As a company, they are larger. Well, were larger. We have ActiBlizzard now.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Geno

Here's another news story : http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2008/12/123_37103.html

Apparently Worlds.com had carefully planned this out, as they filed the patent suit in East Texas, a court notorious for ruling against foreign defendants. Heck, even Nintendo lost there to some con artist who thought he held some sort of patent on Gamecube controllers.

This just keeps getting better and better.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By DragoonKain1687
Jayge said:
Actually, they plan to go against Blizzard after this. But the patent is extremely vague, its like somebody patenting a method to breath.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hamz

I would imagine the first thing a court would ask is why take so long to bring this to court in the first place. The obvious answer is money, but Worlds.com is going to have to bring up some kickass argument to make a viable case.

Perhaps I am ignoring the serious implications this could bring if the case went in Worlds.com's favour. But I just do not see them actually winning outright....not if Blizzard gets its act together and uses the billions they must of made from WoW to pay every lawyer in existance to fight this for them.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Geno

On the contrary Hamz, most speculators are saying that Worlds.com has a somewhat strong case. Of course we all want NCSoft to pull through, with or without Blizzard's help but there's no denying the situation is somewhat perilous at the moment. To add insult to injury, the suit was filed on Christmas Eve. How lame can these guys get?