New Consoles, Will you pick them on brand loyalty or the winning console?

• 115 results
Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll New Consoles, Will you pick them on brand loyalty or the winning console? (179 votes)

Brand loyalty. 31%
Winning console. 70%

Since the Ps4 is officially announced, Microsoft will have to announce at minimum something this year. New consoles are officially on the way.

I am now deciding which console will I go for and when. I dont have much money and when I buy one console, that will probably be me.

However since I dont have much money I have found my heart saying "Which ever one "wins" I will buy." Which feels sort of strange, when PS3 and Xbox 360 was set up. I had fallen in love with the xbox 1. So I think I was brand loyal at the time.

What ever my choice, I think I chose right. Since the Ps3 had a ton of problems, I eventually got a ps3 and just using would cause anger in me (E.G Buy a new game, or an old game I havnt played in a year, and 2hrs of updates and installs before I can play, I am told this is fixed now.)

Xbox won between it and PS3 in the grand scheme.

However I find myself becoming annoyed at Microsoft with such things as "Double Dipping" charge for Xbox live....and sell us adverts. Aswell as Game devs finding its hard to work with Microsoft behind the seens. While PS3 is just hard to work with.

If the conference is t be believe this will not be the case this time. This mean I am utterly open to joining Sony once again, as I joined on PS1 (I was brand loyal to Sega at the time, and for some reason got a ps1...wise decision. As Saturn was useless in the UK at the hight point) and PS2 was a wise choice aswell.

What is everyone else?

• 
frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I don't have much brand loyalty. My preference would be to have every console. All 3 have great things to offer me, but I don't have the money, so I'll have to pick one. Probably the PS4 at this point, but we'll see what MS has up their sleeves.

Nintendo really needs an asterisk anymore. I love them, but the repeating comment that Nintendo consoles are only good for 1st party games is true, however repetitious it might be. Honestly, I probably have more brand loyalty to them than anyone else, in terms of their games and their history, but the Wii U is the least appealing console to me overall.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By Zirilius

I will be getting a PS4 simply cause I can't stand XBL anymore. I haven't paid for Live service in 2 years and when the time comes for me to renew I won't. I also like what PS4 showed and Microsoft's exclusives don't really excite me.

Now just to find a way to save up money to get one.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I am totally up for grabs this gen, even if I have a twinge of Xbox loyalty I will have to ignore.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#104  Edited By breadfan

Brand loyalty will only determine which console I buy first. If brand loyalty is even the correct term. I just generally preferred the 360 this console generation and I'm assuming that most of my friends are going to congregate towards Microsoft's next console. Which is a huge factor for which platform I play on.

But ultimately...

@ekami said:

I will buy both because I am an adult.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scrawnto said:

@jgf said:

I'm not interested in such a concept as a "winning console". I'm going to choose the one that suits best my needs. If all are somewhat unique and interesting I'll buy all.

I feel the same. I also happen to be an American.

My comment about the americans focusing on competition was not meant to be rude, if you meant to imply that. Please keep in mind I'm not a native speaker. I just noticed that there are far less threads and comments in german gaming communities that talk about which console won, or perhaps I simply missed them.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

I'll probably get both.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By AiurFlux

Neither. I'll pick the one by the company that won't fuck me over with bad business practices. As everyone should. Brand loyalty is retarded and "picking the winnings side" could end up being the console with bad business practices. Reward companies that aren't going to fuck you over with your purchase and money, and let the ones that try to fuck you over die by the side of the road. If both are good, then so be it I'll get both. And if both are terrible then I still have my PC anyway. But I refuse to give my money to some of these assholes anymore though. Between the new practice of tiered pre-orders that rely entirely on peer pressure (Tomb Raider and Bioshock: Infinite), DLC debacles, season passes that end up fucking sucking, and a plethora of lies and bullshit recently it's getting easier and easier to hold on to my cash.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Akyho

@aiurflux said:

Neither. I'll pick the one by the company that won't fuck me over with bad business practices. As everyone should. Brand loyalty is retarded and "picking the winnings side" could end up being the console with bad business practices. Reward companies that aren't going to fuck you over with your purchase and money, and let the ones that try to fuck you over die by the side of the road. If both are good, then so be it I'll get both. And if both are terrible then I still have my PC anyway. But I refuse to give my money to some of these assholes anymore though. Between the new practice of tiered pre-orders that rely entirely on peer pressure (Tomb Raider and Bioshock: Infinite), DLC debacles, season passes that end up fucking sucking, and a plethora of lies and bullshit recently it's getting easier and easier to hold on to my cash.

Take out the anger and swearing, and you probably have my true feelings with this statement. Why I am open to switching to Sony. Maybe I should be open to just playing pc? I already gave up on all EA for such reasons.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

I don't have brand loyalty. Assuming Microsoft is going to release a traditional system with natural upgrades I will own both.

...and maybe a Wii U after games get released and a price drop.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm not sure I can take any more cirque du soleil bullshit from Microsoft. If they come out pimping Kinect 2.0 and all of the family motion waving get grandma off the couch mentality that they've been pushing lately, I'll buy a PS4 first out of spite. I'm not going to say I won't buy it (I'll eventually want Halo 5 & 6), but not for a long, long time.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

I'll be sticking with Sony because their library is much more suited to my taste. I would absolutely get an Xbox if they seemed like they were going to have games that are up my alley. Brand loyalty is a silly thing, however, ecosystem is everything!

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Brand loyalty because that's my only option it seems. I love Sony's 1st party games, I've been a PS fan since I got a PS1 & I dislike most of Microsoft's 1st party games. Although, I think Alan Wake & Banjo Kazooie are great franchises, I also think Halo, Gears, Forza & all their other IP's are incredibly boring. I've played them so I can form an opinion by the way. I'm not just talking out my ass. Well, I didn't play Forza but I'm not a racing sim kind of guy. Gran Turismo ain't my thing either so it's not like I dislike it because it's on Xbox.

Apart from games, I think Sony has been doing really well lately with PS+. Plus, (no pun intended) I don't want to pay online to play video games. I'm not much of a multiplayer guy so paying for online would be dumb but I do like making new friends on PSN and talking about games & stuff. Also, the new "SHARE" button on the DualShock 4 is my kind of thing. I'm not a Facebook dude but watching other people play, they watch me play & sharing pictures, videos, etc. is something I will enjoy.

I'm going to steal what Archlord said & say, where's the "Console with my favorite games" option?

This pole is hateful! Also!

INFAMOUS!

this.

obedox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By obedox

I'll likely end up buying both of them, will want to play exclusives on both platforms.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#114  Edited By big_jon

Not entirely sure.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#115 gamer_152  Moderator

I'm not going to pick one up out of brand loyalty or because it's the "winner". There are companies that I may trust more than others based on past experience, or want to go with because I have data I can carry across from previous consoles, but I'm not going to mindlessly pledge my loyalty to a corporation, and I think the idea of a "Winning" console is a bit silly. There will certainly be a most popular console, but tastes are subjective, different consoles offer different things, and we won't have a proper view on which console really "Won" until a fair way down the line, if not after the next generation entirely. I'm going to go with the console/s that makes the most sense for me given their services, games, pricing, and how much stuff I can carry over from previous systems.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#116  Edited By Atlas

Ever since I stopped being a Nintendo kid when I didn't buy a Wii, I've gravitated to where the best game experiences are, regardless of loyalty. I definitely was more in the 360 camp this generation because I had it for longer and most of the first-party PS3 games I played were a little disappointing, but I still think the PS3 is a great system with a lot of upsides and I don't regret buying it at all, especially since it's also the Blu-Ray player in our house and has been our Netflix machine ever since I cancelled my Xbox Live Gold subscription. I've been a very happy PC gamer for the past 2 years, but if one of, or both of, the consoles stands out as something special, then I will happily jump on board. I thought that the initial PS4 showing was impressive - even if the games they were showing off weren't too appealing to me, it was more that it seems like there has been a philosophical shift at SCE that could lead to really positive things down the line and stronger third-party support for PS4 - and if Microsoft can match it with a good debut for Durango/720, then I'll be very excited for the start of the next generation.

Also, yes, as many people have said or implied, "brand loyalty" and "console wars" always, at least to me, was a by-product of kids who could only get their parents to buy them one system and so would defend their console with a passion (we only ever grew up with one console per generation and so I have a deep love of those - hearing Jeff talk shit about the N64 is painful), whereas we adult gamers in middle-income households - or in my case man-children that still live with their parents and don't spend money on clothes or stuff like that and has enough time to play enough games that having two consoles is worthwhile - have the freedom to be indiscriminate about things like brand loyalty.

My general approach to life is that brand loyalty is fine as long as it's not blind and it's not immovable, and is based on who gives you the best experience. I'm loyal to Steam, Amazon, Sennheiser, Logitech, Lenovo, Coca-Cola, and Panasonic because I've had extremely positive experiences with all of them. The second Sennheiser starts making overpriced/shitty headphones, or if there's another New Coke-style fiasco, or if a digital download service overtakes Steam, then I'll move on to the next thing.