New Xbox 360 Hardware Has Internal Storage?

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
Jasper lives!
Jasper lives!
The hardware modders over at Xbox-Scene have images of what appears to be a dismantled Xbox 360 with a lower-wattage power supply, complete with a different adapter to ensure you can't plug the new power supply into old units or vice versa. This model is assumed to be the first one to feature a 65nm GPU, which is another change in the continuing struggle to build more reliable hardware for less money.

Manual scans discuss internal storage.
But the most apparent difference between this new hardware and the old stuff is that this one has a larger flash chip. While older models had a 16MB chip, this one contains 256MB. This gives 360s that don't have memory units or hard drives attached enough space to hold all of the newly released NXE data. Users can also now use the internal flash for storage--though most of that space would probably be chewed up by NXE stuff, there would probably be enough to store your Xbox Live profile, if not a saved game or two.

Scans from the manual discuss the internal memory as if it will work exactly like hard drives and memory units do today, with the ability to format or rename the space if you so desire.

Stores are probably pretty cluttered with older, non-Jasper stock at the moment, so if you're looking to get one of these new models, you may wish to wait a bit for the seasonal rush to clear out the old stuff. If you're the type to read the sides of the box in hopes of finding one, the one torn apart in the posted photos had a manufacture date of 10-23-2008 and came from lot #0843X.
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
Jasper lives!
Jasper lives!
The hardware modders over at Xbox-Scene have images of what appears to be a dismantled Xbox 360 with a lower-wattage power supply, complete with a different adapter to ensure you can't plug the new power supply into old units or vice versa. This model is assumed to be the first one to feature a 65nm GPU, which is another change in the continuing struggle to build more reliable hardware for less money.

But the most apparent difference between this new hardware and the old stuff is that this one has a larger flash chip. While older models had a 16MB chip, this one contains 256MB. This gives 360s that don't have memory units or hard drives attached enough space to hold all of the newly released NXE data. Users can also now use the internal flash for storage--though most of that space would probably be chewed up by NXE stuff, there would probably be enough to store your Xbox Live profile, if not a saved game or two.

Scans from the manual discuss the internal memory as if it will work exactly like hard drives and memory units do today, with the ability to format or rename the space if you so desire.

Stores are probably pretty cluttered with older, non-Jasper stock at the moment, so if you're looking to get one of these new models, you may wish to wait a bit for the seasonal rush to clear out the old stuff. If you're the type to read the sides of the box in hopes of finding one, the one torn apart in the posted photos had a manufacture date of 10-23-2008 and came from lot #0843X.
The_Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By The_Icon

It would have been better if they fixed the RROD completely than pushing an extra 256MB.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Chummy8

Pretty cool.  I'm looking to return my launch 360 before the 3 year warranty expires so I can get an updated version.  Hopefully, I'll get one of these bad boys.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#4  Edited By MeatSim

what happens if you don't have the new Jasper hardware and still yet don't have a hard drive how  is the NXE stored in that case?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
The_Icon said:
"It would have been better if they fixed the RROD completely than pushing an extra 256MB."
do you know if they have? if not then maybe you should wait before saying.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Scooper

Hopefully no overheating, that would be nice.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By daniel_beck_90

my 360 is working fine , though I'll consider this model as the alternative

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By daniel_beck_90
The_Icon said:
"It would have been better if they fixed the RROD completely than pushing an extra 256MB."
I think the 65 nm GPU will solve that problem altogether
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Milkman

It only makes sense for Microsoft to do that.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By BlackWaterCO
The_Icon said:

Do you own a 360?

The Jasper model has 45nm chipset, which means super low failure rate
Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gameboi

This is a brilliant idea, although I echo the sentiments of The Icon.  If the RROD issue is fixed, along with this nice addition, the Xbox 360 will become the best value in gaming consoles.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

WHY THE HELL CAN'T SONY START DOING THIS STUFF??
Seriously, Sony, get your ass on lowering damn production costs and making efficient hardware. MS is kicking your asses , and their the SOFTWARE guys.

Most people don't seem to get how good this is gunna be. I'm glad MS is STILL working on making the 360 more effecient in power and manufacturing, but it would be nice to fix that nasty RROD problem once and for all. They have gotten some improvements on it, its a lot better now, but it still needs work. Lets hope this thing maybe helps things.

But damn... I was about to get a 360, now I'm seriously considering this one... Because I will be getting the arcade... Plus the whole effeciency and the whole lower failure (hopefully)... damn, i hope its not too long before we get some down at my local best buy

Hughes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hughes

That's a paddlin'

TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By TEAMHOLT

"WHY THE HELL CAN'T SONY START DOING THIS STUFF??
Seriously, Sony, get your ass on lowering damn production costs and making efficient hardware. MS is kicking your asses , and their the SOFTWARE guys."

They have. They cut out PS2 BC as well as external storage port and USP ports. I remember hearing that they are working in making smaller CELL processors, too. They still do need to hurry up about lowering production costs because a 399 pricetag doesn't look so great compared to the 299 Pro 360 bundle.

KingHippp0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By KingHippp0

Does anybody think this will affect that awesome 20 GB Hard Drive upgrade offer they started last month? I hope not.

drifter13x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By drifter13x

Been tracking the Jasper for awhile so the info is good news. As far as I can tell the new 256mb on board is no doubt just so they can now have anyone use the NXE. Also as far as fixing the RROD, from the pic layout it would seem that MS went to a good amount of effort to try and dissipate the heat in this model on chips that are already said to run cooler. That said, there are still many other factors such as use and envoironment that could effect the system. If you're playing Gears 2 24/7 in a hot room with lots of dust, our old friend RROD could still rear it's ugly head. I'll wait for the holiday rush to clear out more Falcons before I go hunting for a new shiney 360.

As for ragging on sony for not making updates, they have tweaked the PS3 a number of times to cut costs, just not in ways that have seen an savings passed onto the consumer. A quick look at wiki will show sony has desperatly been tearing things out of thier system and making slight internal revisions. And as far as I know PS3 system failures aren't even a fraction of what 360's have been, so at least you have some assurance as to quality even from the launch machines. I own all 3 systems and so far I've had to send my 360 into repair for a crapped out DVD drive, and had 3 friends do the same for other problems and RRODs.

My Wii on the other hand is still running great...when it's actually running and not acting as a dust collector or an object of my ridicule.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lunarbunny

Don't have a 360, but hope for everybody else's sake that the lower wattage / smaller etching process chips actually cut down on heat enough.

code305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By code305

I would like for them to fix the red ring first. Its the only thing that making some people from getting there hands on the 360 system.  Its nice that they have this improvement but please fix the major problems first.

headcase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By headcase

That's half the Wii's internal storage, and that console has no HD to back it up. So is the idea that NXE will be pulled from the flash instead of the hard drive, and hence run \ boot up more smoothly?

Lepuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Lepuke

The Falcon chip was already a decent improvement upon the horrible first design,  so the 65nm Jasper and lower-wattage power supply will probably work wonders to lower the RROD rate to a finally acceptable level.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince

That's cool, but maybe they should just remake there system with completely reliable hardware. That would make it worth more then all of these little changes.

betabetamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By betabetamax

paddling the school canoe, THAT'S A PADDELIN'!!!!!

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lamegame621

I think the next round of next-gen systems is really going to blur the lines between PC and Gaming Console.

KinjiroSSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By KinjiroSSD

That's good news. Hopefully, that will lower the RROD rate more. I liked the 360 (sold it) so I'm glad Microsoft is putting in the effort to support it, unlike the Xbox which I loved.
To those complaining about a lack of PS3 internal revisions, the PS3 started using a 65nm Cell and RSX on the 80GB MSG4 PS3. They are working on a 45nm Cell currently.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By ch13696

HHmmm why couldnt they do this to begin with? a 256 mb flash isn't that expensive.

adsapien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By adsapien

Now more people can know the joy of driving around town and asking clerks to read the lot #'s.  Which now seems less important.  I guess we can't expect them to fix the RROD outright, if they did half of the world's forum threads would die.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mackgyver

Hey, if this proves that it will bring the Xbox 360 up to average console reliability levels, I may actually buy one.

dezvous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By dezvous
MordeaniisChaos where have you been? Everyone by now should know that in 2009 Sony will undoubtedly be dropping the price of the PS3 once they start manufacturing the CELL at a reduced die size of 45nm. You can't just build facilities or equip existing ones with new equipment overnight. It takes lots of time.

If they could do it quickly then most definitely would because it will actually mean lower production costs for Sony as well as the benefits of lower power consumption and thermal efficiency for the end user.

So many people need a better grip on gaming as an industry and a business. That's probably the single biggest problem with most gamers today. They all bitch and complain about everything without any realistic knowledge to back up their reasoning.
Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By Tordah

Sweet, maybe now I'll finally dare to go out and buy myself a 360. I've been waiting for this!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LiquidPrince
lamegame621 said:
"I think the next round of next-gen systems is really going to blur the lines between PC and Gaming Console."
I don't think this can happen simply because PC has the capability to always upgrade it's hardware.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By crunchUK

i reckon that it's there for some kind of new anti pirate software

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kohe321

Cool. I won't get a new one, my elite is working nicely. :)

Unreal_dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Unreal_dro

thinking about getting an elite. my 20 gig is not enough anymore

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Media_Master

Red-ringing is a bigger issue

ferrarimanf355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ferrarimanf355

I've been thinking about getting an Elite model to replace my current X360 for the longest time, do the Elites have the Jasper chipset yet?

SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SpikeDelight

LOL the icon for this is that other Jasper. Oh Giant Bomb this is why I love you!

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheHBK

So does that mean xbox 360 pro's with the new 65 nm chip are on their way?

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Manachild

the problem is, i honestly want to get another 360, i would like to go back to owning all 3 systems. But its hard to statistically find out how much of a difference the new model makes with all these old systems kicking around.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Dan_CiTi

The 360 has always had a flash.

Avatar image for alucardalacarte
AlucardaLaCarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AlucardaLaCarte

Also the Jasper hardware thinks that sidewalks are for regular walkin', not your fancy walkin'!

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LightYagami245

Pretty cool, but I must agree with LiquidPrince's answer.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By jakob187

Well, if this is REALLY going to be the one with the new GPUs, that should cut back on a lot of the RRoD problems right off the bat (since the fuckin GPU is the problem with the damn things).  It's also nice to see a low-wattage power supply.  The onboard memory is a given, just because of all the damn updates that they've had to do to games + the 360 in general.  Gotta put it somewhere.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#43  Edited By dsplayer1010

OK. That makes more sense if it's meant to hold the NXE. I don't ever think they will have built in storage again after how much money they lost due to the original Xbox's hard drives.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By oldschool

I think I might actually risk my cash on a 360 now - or maybe Easter nex year.  Let some other suckers buy the old model.