Next Xbox by next year?

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LikeaSsur

According to a credible site (Bloomberg), several Microsoft insiders have confirmed that the next Xbox will be released by next year.

Obviously, this is big news, and even more obviously, there's no official word from Microsoft....yet. Interesting.

So what're your thoughts on this, Giant Bomb? Will Microsoft try following Nintendo's idea and make a touchscreen gamepad? Should they continue to push the Kinect?

Will it be a video game console, or entertainment system that just happens to play video games?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RE_Player1

They will push games hard even though their greater aspirations are to be the entertainment box in every living room. They want to get that hardcore base first and than the mainstream next. The first party and 360 exclusive presence has been pretty barren when compared to Sony and I think the reason why is they have several projects in the works for the 360 successor. At least that's what I think. Hopefully their Windows 8, Windows Phone and Surface efforts aren't informative of their next console efforts because all those products have been snoozes.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Branthog

That's not by next year. That's by the year after next year. And, yes, all signs point to the next iteration of Sony and Microsoft consoles being released by that point (the last quarter of calendar year 2013), though how much focus will be on "we're you're entertainment center -- durp!" is uncertain. Since claims are that most use (by a great margin) of consoles -- at least the 360 -- are NOT playing video games . . . well . . . it makes me apprehensive.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I kinda thought it was accepted already that the new boxes would be out next year? No official word or anything but...I mean they have to right?

As for what they'll be I'm kinda with all that added functionality and entertainment center business is cool and all but I hope that isn't the focus of the system. Should be built around games first.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By _Zombie_

A kinect focus would push me even further away from it, as would a touchscreen gamepad.

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I kinda thought it was accepted already that the new boxes would be out next year? No official word or anything but...I mean they have to right?

As for what they'll be I'm kinda with all that added functionality and entertainment center business is cool and all but I hope that isn't the focus of the system. Should be built around games first.

Agreed. If I do ever buy it (the prospect of which is doubtful), I'd want it for the focus of playing games. Not for an overall entertainment system. Especially if it means that the decreased focus on games would detract from the system's gaming capabilities.

But then again, I could just be blowing hot air out my ass, and this entire post is probably pointless. I'm jumping over to the PC ship anyways.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Wemibelle

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Not necessarily. If the Wii U bombs, they could probably hold out for another year. I think they should move to new hardware, but I wouldn't put it past Sony and Microsoft to stretch it as long as they can.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@wemibelec90 said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Not necessarily. If the Wii U bombs, they could probably hold out for another year. I think they should move to new hardware, but I wouldn't put it past Sony and Microsoft to stretch it as long as they can.

However it is generally accepted that Sony and Microsoft didn't announce their consoles because they wanted to see what happened with Nintendo. I would think if the WiiU bombed it would give Microsoft and Sony a great opportunity to break into the next generation. Sony doesn't want to lose out to Microsoft like they did this gen so they'd want to release at about the same time if not a bit earlier. Microsoft would see it as a good opportunity because they wouldn't have to worry about Nintendo.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By willin

Oh, you mean the NeXbox?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Willin said:

Oh, you mean the NeXbox?

You mean KiNeXtBox... Durango.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Wemibelle

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@wemibelec90 said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

However it is generally accepted that Sony and Microsoft didn't announce their consoles because they wanted to see what happened with Nintendo. I would think if the WiiU bombed it would give Microsoft and Sony a great opportunity to break into the next generation. Sony doesn't want to lose out to Microsoft like they did this gen so they'd want to release at about the same time if not a bit earlier. Microsoft would see it as a good opportunity because they wouldn't have to worry about Nintendo.

Certainly possible. I just still am not 100% confident it's coming already. They've both been rather stubborn about a new console for this long; one more year wouldn't mean much to them.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By VisariLoyalist

I hope so, but personally my money is with ps4 until we see for sure how things shake out.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Branthog

@VisariLoyalist said:

I hope so, but personally my money is with ps4 until we see for sure how things shake out.

Do you mean that you're going to buy a PS4 over the next Microsoft console or that you'd wager your money on a PS4 being released before the next Microsoft console?

I'll buy several of each -- and I hope both are fantastic and successful and move gaming along the path of significant improvement -- but I just don't see Sony releasing a new console before Microsoft. I'm not even sure they'll do it at the same time. I think think they *need* to come out with one at the same time, but I won't be even remotely shocked if MIcrosoft drops in the end of 2013 and Sony drops the end of 2014.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Terramagi

I'd bet money they want to stretch out the 360 for another year.

Cash money.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By TruthTellah

@LikeaSsur: Well, there's very good reason to believe that dev kits for both have been in some capable hands for a good bit now, and a late 2013 launch is highly likely.

Though, I think the Microsoft release is more set in stone. I can't see them launching anytime later than late 2013. Though, Sony may or may not decide to wait until Spring 2014 to not get swept up in a direct launch against the new Microsoft console. Where Sony is at right now, giving the PS3 even more time, even a few months, seems like a decent idea that they may be considering.

Either way, both are already well on their way toward release; so, I would disagree with the suggestion that the Wii U's success or trials will have much of an effect on the other launches. They have planned for however it is received, and looking at current release schedules and what developers are talking about for the future, new consoles not coming in late 2013 and early 2014 would be rather surprising.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Branthog

Also, I wouldn't be so quick to accept Bloomberg as being any level of trustworthy. They run "paid advertising" to look like reviews and even facilitate allowing companies to manipulate the platform to present their content as if it's part of the actual Bloomberg content. Nasty shit.

A little off-topic, but . . . gross gross gross gross gross:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497024&page=175

A New Advertising Model...
Introducing AdVoice™
ADVOICE™ is a new approach to integrating editorial content, user content and marketers’ content—allowing more organic presentation of advertiser content than ever before.
Marketers can now tell their own story in their words on the Forbes platform using the same tools as content creators. They can develop relationships with consumers, thought leaders and journalists, too.
On the Forbes platform, all content is clearly labeled and transparent. Everyone knows who’s talking and the vantage point from which they speak.

Example: http://www.forbes.com/sites/sap/2012/11/23/3-reasons-sonys-ps-vita-will-crush-handheld-competitors/

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@wemibelec90 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@wemibelec90 said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Certainly possible. I just still am not 100% confident it's coming already. They've both been rather stubborn about a new console for this long; one more year wouldn't mean much to them.

I can't see them waiting another year. I've heard from a few places the only reason it's not out already is because Kinect actually sold well. That could be second hand nonsense but even still, I'm pretty sure there's dev kits out in the wild and from some things Jeff has said he seems to know some details that he obviously isn't gonna share. I'd say next year is a safe bet.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jdh5153

I can see it. A few developers have already announced next gen games for early 2014 and stuff, so it'll obviously be out by then. Most likely Fall 2013. I'm ready for it. Pre-ordering my 720 as soon as it's possible.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kerse

I figured it would be next year anyways.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LikeaSsur

@Branthog said:

@VisariLoyalist said:

Do you mean that you're going to buy a PS4 over the next Microsoft console or that you'd wager your money on a PS4 being released before the next Microsoft console?

I'll buy several of each -- and I hope both are fantastic and successful and move gaming along the path of significant improvement -- but I just don't see Sony releasing a new console before Microsoft. I'm not even sure they'll do it at the same time. I think think they *need* to come out with one at the same time, but I won't be even remotely shocked if MIcrosoft drops in the end of 2013 and Sony drops the end of 2014.

I'd wager a PS4 coming out before the next Xbox. If not, that's what Sony should do, especially since Microsoft's launches aren't really well received (complete abandonment of previous console, RROD). If Sony can hit the next gen running and Microsoft continues it's trend of system launches, it could turn the tables entirely, especially if Microsoft goes "entertainment system" route and Sony stays "gaming console."

Also, : Are you me from the future?

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By SpaceRunaway

@LikeaSsur: :

A Dave avatar responding to a different Dave avatar made me very happy.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Zekhariah

I had thought the date of the next Sony and MS consoles were pretty much a sure thing. So far there are fairly certain dates on final dev kits from Sony, and MS ambitious over-reaching the x360 have occured for awhile now. On top of that, there is virtually nothing scheduled for release game wise at the back end 2013. Unless there will be no more games that probably means that things like NDAs, confidentiality, and reasonable business sense are keeping things back.

I think Kinect will continue, as it provides a way to control a media center without futzing with a controller (which are usually terribly in efficient at that kind of thing). It is pretty much the one advantage that patents should keep on the MS side.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#22  Edited By BeachThunder

I hope this means PC ports with higher poly counts - I'm sick of everything looking like it's made out of stop signs.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Branthog

@LikeaSsur said:

@Branthog said:

@VisariLoyalist said:

I'd wager a PS4 coming out before the next Xbox. If not, that's what Sony should do, especially since Microsoft's launches aren't really well received (complete abandonment of previous console, RROD). If Sony can hit the next gen running and Microsoft continues it's trend of system launches, it could turn the tables entirely, especially if Microsoft goes "entertainment system" route and Sony stays "gaming console."

Also, : Are you me from the future?

While I think that'd be interesting to see, I don't think it'll happen.

Microsoft owns the market and it is theirs to lose. Even years of RROD and E74 and scratched discs and other troubles haven't slowed down consumer enthusiasm and going into the new generation, it'll be the default console of choice for the majority of gamers. Microsoft has also made big bucks off the console, for some time now. Sony hasn't been in the black on it for quite nearly as long. Sony's lackluster performance over this last cycle will give people more hesitation, the price will probably be necessarily steeper so they can compete on performance, and if it is launched first -- most people (who aren't planning to own two consoles) will just play "wait and see", until Microsoft *does* release theirs and make up their mind, then.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By _Zombie_

@LikeaSsur: Yes. I am.

P.S., don't unclog the toilet next week. You'll thank me later.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@BeachThunder said:

I hope this means PC ports with higher poly counts - I'm sick of everything looking like it's made out of stop signs.

PC will probably get burdened with terrible ports for the first couple years after the PS4 and Xbox whatever launch :(

Starks94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Starks94

Close to 10 years of these "next gen" systems and we still never got a Kingdom Hearts release. I remember when Kingdom Hearts 3 came out on PS2 and I thought, "I'll wait until the sequel comes on PS3" Oh well.

downloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By downloaded

@msavo: Windows Phone 7 is a great OS. I wish more people would realize that.

verbalmedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By verbalmedal

i hope the 720 and ps4 both come out next year

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shortbreadtom

I'm just waiting for the next consoles so I have an excuse to upgrade my PC

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#30  Edited By isomeri

Depends on how well the current consoles do in this holiday season. If sales don't drop too much from last year, I could see them dropping the price of the current consoles for holiday 2013 and release the new consoles in the spring or summer of 2014. I don't know if Sony and Microsoft consider Nintendo to be a direct competitor, but it's hard to see them letting Nintendo "lead" by two holiday seasons. Also, it's likely that there will be a 199 $ Wii U for sale a year from now.

But judging by the chatter that's been going around concerning the dev-kits for Durango and Orbis, the games seem to be on-track for a late 2013 release.