• 55 results
holabendez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 3

Edited By holabendez

Now, I know the GB guys are running at full steam these days and pumping out a hell of a lot of content, so really there is no reason to complain. Giant Bomb is chugging along fantastically. Lots of articles, a regular podcast and heaps of videos. One thing I must admit I am missing are Video Reviews. 

Now I appreciate that their time is limited and they don't have the resources to put together video reviews for every game released, but surely, surely they could put together video reviews for the big AAA titles. 

Notable omissions of late would surely include: 
- Starcraft 2 (be patient perhaps?) 
- God of War 3 
- Splinter Cell: Conviction 
- Final Fantasy XIII 
- Just Cause 2 
- Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (hell, the original got a video review!) 

The last video review was back in May! 

So what do you guys think? Would you like to see the video reviews back? Or do you think, "shut the hell up there's already lots of stuff going on, Quick Looks, Bombcast, Event Coverage (like E3), TNT, Wonderful Universe of TANG and you get heaps of written reviews anyway - stop complaining!!" 

Can it hurt to ask for at least a few video reviews return? Even just the AAA's or the 4+ star games would suffice...     

***** UPDATE ***** 

Brad has kindly put together a video review of Starcraft 2. Now we can stop complaining for a little while...

holabendez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#1  Edited By holabendez

Now, I know the GB guys are running at full steam these days and pumping out a hell of a lot of content, so really there is no reason to complain. Giant Bomb is chugging along fantastically. Lots of articles, a regular podcast and heaps of videos. One thing I must admit I am missing are Video Reviews. 

Now I appreciate that their time is limited and they don't have the resources to put together video reviews for every game released, but surely, surely they could put together video reviews for the big AAA titles. 

Notable omissions of late would surely include: 
- Starcraft 2 (be patient perhaps?) 
- God of War 3 
- Splinter Cell: Conviction 
- Final Fantasy XIII 
- Just Cause 2 
- Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (hell, the original got a video review!) 

The last video review was back in May! 

So what do you guys think? Would you like to see the video reviews back? Or do you think, "shut the hell up there's already lots of stuff going on, Quick Looks, Bombcast, Event Coverage (like E3), TNT, Wonderful Universe of TANG and you get heaps of written reviews anyway - stop complaining!!" 

Can it hurt to ask for at least a few video reviews return? Even just the AAA's or the 4+ star games would suffice...     

***** UPDATE ***** 

Brad has kindly put together a video review of Starcraft 2. Now we can stop complaining for a little while...

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By one_2nd

I miss those. 

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

i like quick looks

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Starcraft II seems very likely. I always have to remember that the other sites use the same camera room.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman

I agree that more video reviews would be nice. Although ultimately the work that goes into them probably isn't worth it. Think about all the footage of the games they have to capture and edit together to sync up perfect with the "script" that they have written for the review. There's tons of video editing work that just seems unnecessary when there's a more detailed written review one click away. At least that's how I see it.

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By dystonym

Video Reviews are my favourite type of video content on Giant Bomb, followed by Quick Looks. 

Bring them back, bring them back I say.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ventilaator

Could someone please elaborate to me what the fuck is the point of a video review besides telling people WHO SEEM TO BE UNABLE TO READ A TEXT WHICH IS RIGHT THERE about a game? 

Sure, you get footage from the game as well, but you get that everywhere else as well, without getting cuts to look at someone's face reading the text WHICH HAS BEEN RIGHT THERE THE WHOLE TIME

No video reviews seems like a good thing. Leaves more time for Quick Looks.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BraveToaster
Written reviews are just as good as video reviews to me.
BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BunkerBuster

Video review aren't really that important now, what with all the Quick Looks. You can see what the game plays like before the game is out so there's no need to show what the game is like with a video review.

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By yellownumber5

I think I prefer the quick looks over the video review.  They're longer, funnier cause of the random dialogue, and let me get to know a game the same as if I went over to a friends house to watch them play.  The video reviews just make me too lazy to read the written review.

Just thinking: If video reviews were just bite size to make me want to read the full review...

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By coakroach

I'll take quick looks, endurance runs or whatever other shenanigans over video reviews any day 

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#12  Edited By psykhophear

To me, video reviews define the video game website. If the website doesn't have video reviews...it's like CNN or BBC not broadcasting their news on TV. How realistic is that? I personally love video reviews because it's a way of expressing your thoughts that a written review can't convey (also because I'm not a reading type of guy).

If Jeff and the gang can't commit their time making video reviews, they should consider hiring/ appointing someone to do it, just like GameTrailers who have a group of gamers playing the games and let GT co-founder and Creative Director Brandon Jones do all the talking. GiantBomb should do the same. 

P/S: best video reviewer: Greg Kasavin!

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By CaptainObvious

You can watch 4 hours worth of Starcraft II here if you look good enough.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Supermarius

i need to make a thread titled "No more 'no more video reviews reviews?' posts?".

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By louiedog
@Ventilaator said:
" Could someone please elaborate to me what the fuck is the point of a video review besides telling people WHO SEEM TO BE UNABLE TO READ A TEXT WHICH IS RIGHT THERE about a game?   Sure, you get footage from the game as well, but you get that everywhere else as well, without getting cuts to look at someone's face reading the text WHICH HAS BEEN RIGHT THERE THE WHOLE TIME  No video reviews seems like a good thing. Leaves more time for Quick Looks. "
For me, video reviews give a better sense of what the reviewer is talking about in his review. When bad voice acting is mentioned, usually the video cuts to an example of the bad voice acting. If they mention a notable ability in the game, they can show you exactly what they're talking about. The video review brings the review alive. Someone can tell me that a game has atrocious voice acting and I'll believe them. However, if they show it to me I'll know exactly how much it would bother me and can help make my purchasing decision better.

Sure, some of that can be accomplished in a Quick Look. But a Quick Look is just a slice of the game, is 20-40 minutes long and generally shows off less important stuff than a 5 minute video review that condenses it all. They didn't even get to time manipulation stuff in the Singularity Quick Look, which is a important part of that game.

Don't get me wrong, I love Quick Looks. I also know how much time is required to do a video review. If making one video review required missing out on 5 Quick Looks, I'll take the Quick Looks. I'm just defending the video reviews, because acting like they're an alternative to reading for stupid and lazy people is a gross oversimplification.
Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By Siphillis

This wouldn't be much of an issue if any other site knew how to fucking make a video review as well as these guys. 

With the possible exception of GameTrailers.  They are masters.

eliminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#18  Edited By eliminator

Bring sexy back.
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hockeymask27
@Axxol said:
" Written reviews are just as good as video reviews to me. "

This, video reviews add no extra content. They just read the review in front of a green screen if you want to see gameplay watch quicklooks,TNT,or streams. Also for people who want more information listening to the bombcast the week after the game comes out is also a good way to get an idea of how good the game is.
ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ventilaator
@louiedog: 

Fair enough, but how about they put in a video clip or a voice clip at specific points in the text.

"The voice acting is painfully awful 
CLICK FOR EXAMPLE
It's so bad I muted my TV"
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By meteora

They need to expand their numbers before they can tackle on frequent video reviews. This means having at least a extra video editor.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By rjpelonia

When they have the time, they will make one.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By JJWeatherman
@louiedog said:
" @Ventilaator said:
" Could someone please elaborate to me what the fuck is the point of a video review besides telling people WHO SEEM TO BE UNABLE TO READ A TEXT WHICH IS RIGHT THERE about a game?   Sure, you get footage from the game as well, but you get that everywhere else as well, without getting cuts to look at someone's face reading the text WHICH HAS BEEN RIGHT THERE THE WHOLE TIME  No video reviews seems like a good thing. Leaves more time for Quick Looks. "
For me, video reviews give a better sense of what the reviewer is talking about in his review. When bad voice acting is mentioned, usually the video cuts to an example of the bad voice acting. If they mention a notable ability in the game, they can show you exactly what they're talking about. The video review brings the review alive. Someone can tell me that a game has atrocious voice acting and I'll believe them. However, if they show it to me I'll know exactly how much it would bother me and can help make my purchasing decision better.  Sure, some of that can be accomplished in a Quick Look. But a Quick Look is just a slice of the game, is 20-40 minutes long and generally shows off less important stuff than a 5 minute video review that condenses it all. They didn't even get to time manipulation stuff in the Singularity Quick Look, which is a important part of that game.  Don't get me wrong, I love Quick Looks. I also know how much time is required to do a video review. If making one video review required missing out on 5 Quick Looks, I'll take the Quick Looks. I'm just defending the video reviews, because acting like they're an alternative to reading for stupid and lazy people is a gross oversimplification. "
Great points. That Singularity review is a good example and was probably a case where they should have done a video review just because the quick look didn't really do the game justice. I think it's something they should evaluate on a case by case basis and make the call based on how busy they are, as well as how much they feel showing the game would benefit. I think a game like Starcraft 2 though--despite it being a huge release--shouldn't get a video review on account of it's 12 year old base mechanics. Everyone already knows Starcraft. Plus they already did a 2+ hour long TNT, so there's that too.
EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By EightBitShik

I like both the QL and the reviews. If they are overwhelmed I can do their video reviews for them and have two girls stand behind me bouncing up and down to make it entertaining GO! Request that now!

Avatar image for deactivated-5997efb371d97
deactivated-5997efb371d97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Axxol said:
" Written reviews are just as good as video reviews to me. "
They're better.  I always felt like the video reviews were stiff and awkward (though better than most sites).  They are much better writers.
Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Feanor

Its weird, they have a lot more staff now. You'd think this would free up more time to do things like video reviews.

DeadDorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DeadDorf

I think Quick Looks and text reviews are a better use of resources.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By TheHBK

Quick looks are better.  
Reading is good for you. 
Plus the video reviews I enjoy most are from Dave or Drew which are rare.  I hate the Brad reviews since he got fat and he moves his hands the same way everytime he is on camera.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fwylo
I want written quicklooks. 

"Quickreads"
VilgeDuin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By VilgeDuin

I appreciate the video reviews, but they're not necessary. Any extra content to the site is great, but if I had to choose I'd stick with the frequent Quicklooks and other such videos.

vunna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By vunna

This is a travestey.  More of a sham. 

It's a travestshamockery.
FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FengShuiGod

While I ALWAYS want more content from Giantbomb, I feel like if they are going to leave something out then video reviews are the thing to forgo. IMO, they are the most unnecessary part of the Giant Bomb Experience. I would still like to see more of them though.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SteamPunkJin

No more video reviews until we start paying for GiantBomb. They're holding out on us to drive up sales. 
True story.

Dragon_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dragon_Fire

We should at least get a Starcraft 2 review!

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Roger778

I do miss the Video Reviews, but I think I enjoy watching the Quick Looks more.  The most recent one I watched was Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, which didn't look like a Castlevania game at all to me. 

If there's any Video Reviews I hope to see later this year, it would be one for Starcraft II. 
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By zeforgotten

I enjoy reading the reviews more than watching some video that isn't nearly as in depth as the written part. 
So for me it's not really a big problem that there are no video reviews. 
If it means more funny Quick Looks, Live streams, weird/funny random videos and great Bombcasts, then I'm perfectly fine with it. 

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Brians

Video reviews are overrated.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#39  Edited By Yummylee

I want them back solely so I can show my 14 year old the reviews, He's too much of a lazy bonehead to read them.

IchiroYagiza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By IchiroYagiza

Quick Looks are the new video reviews.  
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Yes.  They need to get back on track with the video reviews.  As that one guy pointed out, video reviews can do things that simple text cannot.  I also don't understand how some of you think video reviews are suddenly taxing to a point where they are unfeasible.  They used to do them, along with TANG and the ER, which they no longer do.  There is WUTANG (still irregular) and TNT (which is just as much fun as it is work), and on top of that they have an intern and a freelance guy.  So why is so hard to do video reviews now?  I don't want to come off as a "Mr. know it all" (I despise those fucking people) but I don't think video reviews for big releases is expecting too much.  

Like they said on the Podcast, there is absolutely NOTHING going on right now with video games.  There should have been a SC2 video review.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jasta

Quicklooks pretty much do the job, no need for them.

blurienh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By blurienh

I like the video reviews and when I need an old game to play through I'll watch through a load and choose one. 

I also think they are very important to bring new people to the site, it was a video review (cant remember which) that first brought me to Giantbomb, as well as a few other people I know. 

The other video stuff is just as good when you're familiar with the crew and the in-jokes/formula but a video review is completly accessable and lets someone new see the quality of the site and staff straight away and with so  many sites out there you often only get one chance.
TehJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TehJames

Video Reviews are going to be paid content in the future. 

EliasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By EliasT
@one_2nd said:
" I miss those.  "
Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking
@Ventilaator said:
" @louiedog:   Fair enough, but how about they put in a video clip or a voice clip at specific points in the text.  "The voice acting is painfully awful  CLICK FOR EXAMPLE It's so bad I muted my TV" "
They could be like the inline pictures with captions they have so they're not intruding in on the text horribly.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MrKlorox

If I had to choose between video reviews and quicklooks, I would choose quicklooks. But can't we have both?

Timmy_Wackford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Timmy_Wackford

VIDEO REVIEW STARCRAFT 2!  
Up right now people. 
Looks like GB are listening.

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
KamikazeCaterpillar