PC devs teaching console devs a lesson...

• 87 results
bcooper56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bcooper56

PC devs teaching console devs a lesson...

Remember the time, where people did tend to call Killzone 2 or Heavy Rain the best looking console games ever ?

Or such games are not possible on the 360 ?

First of all...before you blame me a 360 fanboy...i dont own one. I am a PS3 owner, but mostly a PC Gamer.

My point is :

Games like Rage or Crysis 2 just crushed games like Killzone 2.

What does this show?

Ex PC exclusive devs are showing how to create engines, where the console exclusives devs cant.

id software and Crytek have produced better visuals with games like Rage and Crysis 2, than Guerilla Games did with Killzone 2.

And btw. Rage is an open world game...

(And yes these games do even look better than Killzone 3 (rather 2.5)...

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Not everyone agrees Crysis is the best looking game ever.  

Plus console users do not have to keep upgrading their computers which can soon cost about 10 times more then just having a console. 

mrariscottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By mrariscottle

Rage isn't out yet. It might be terrible...

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Pinworm45
@The_Laughing_Man said:
 Plus console users do not have to keep upgrading their computers which can soon cost about 10 times more then just having a console.  "
I love how people always give this reason. I've never, ever had to 'keep upgrading my computer', certainly not any more than new consoles come out. And even by the end of my PCs lifecycle, even if the game isn't on max, it's still on medium which looks just as good or more likely better than consoles.
Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Clinkz
@bcooper56 said:
 id software and Crytek have produced better visuals with games like Rage and Crysis 2, than Guerilla Games did with Killzone 2.
Because visuals are the only thing that matters in a game.

Also Crysis fucking sucked.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Pinworm45 said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
 Plus console users do not have to keep upgrading their computers which can soon cost about 10 times more then just having a console.  "
I love how people always give this reason. I've never, ever had to 'keep upgrading my computer', certainly not any more than new consoles come out. And even by the end of my PCs lifecycle, even if the game isn't on max, it's still on medium which looks just as good or more likely better than consoles. "
Not everyone can afford a computer that can run the stuff anyways. My friend only has a 360. He can not afford to get a computer that can run games like crysis. 
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@Fudgeman7 said:
" Rage isn't out yet. It might be terrible... "
Also, Rage is NOT a one disc game.
bcooper56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bcooper56
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" Not everyone agrees Crysis is the best looking game ever.   Plus console users do not have to keep upgrading their computers which can soon cost about 10 times more then just having a console.  "
I have not upgrade in 3 years and i play crysis on high settings and im fine that way since even on high it looks better than all console games.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@creamypies said:
" @Fudgeman7 said:
Also, Rage is NOT a one disc game. "
Really? Even the Ps3 blue ray? *Please say yes. I really REALLY needs a long long game to play* 
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Binman88
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" Not everyone agrees Crysis is the best looking game ever.   Plus console users do not have to keep upgrading their computers which can soon cost about 10 times more then just having a console.  "
Don't forget that PCs aren't just gaming machines, so the cost isn't directly comparable. Also, if you build a good gaming PC, you shouldn't have to upgrade it for a number of years if you're planning to stick to console-quality graphics in the games you play on it (med-high settings at x720 resolution).
bcooper56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bcooper56
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Pinworm45 said:
I love how people always give this reason. I've never, ever had to 'keep upgrading my computer', certainly not any more than new consoles come out. And even by the end of my PCs lifecycle, even if the game isn't on max, it's still on medium which looks just as good or more likely better than consoles. "
Not everyone can afford a computer that can run the stuff anyways. My friend only has a 360. He can not afford to get a computer that can run games like crysis.  "
Can't afford 400 or 500$ is that not price of console pretty much it's not hard to save 100 or 200 more.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@bcooper56 said:
I have not upgrade in 3 years and i play crysis on high settings and im fine that way since even on high it looks better than all console games. "
Lol you some how flipped our posts.  

But do you think Rage will be able to play on the same rig that can play crysis? 
mrariscottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mrariscottle
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @creamypies said:
" @Fudgeman7 said:
Really? Even the Ps3 blue ray? *Please say yes. I really REALLY needs a long long game to play*  "
I think it is one disc on PS3 bluray and several on Xbox 360.
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @creamypies said:
" @Fudgeman7 said:
Really? Even the Ps3 blue ray? *Please say yes. I really REALLY needs a long long game to play*  "
Aha, I dunno about the PS3. I'd imagine that's just a one disc game (sorry to disappoint).
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@bcooper56 said:
" @Pinworm45 said:
Not everyone can afford a computer that can run the stuff anyways. My friend only has a 360. He can not afford to get a computer that can run games like crysis.  "
Can't afford 400 or 500$ is that not price of console pretty much it's not hard to save 100 or 200 more. "
MY friend bought his 360 at release. And because of the current economy. He has only enough to pay rent and buy food. Sort of the same with me. 
McManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By McManiac
@The_Laughing_Man:  If you assemble a computer with better hardware than a console its going to continue having better hardware untill a new console is released.

Upgrading is optional.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Fudgeman7 said:
" @creamypies said:
" @Fudgeman7 said:
I think it is one disc on PS3 bluray and several on Xbox 360. "
@creamypies said:
" @creamypies said:
" @Fudgeman7 said:
Aha, I dunno about the PS3. I'd imagine that's just a one disc game (sorry to disappoint). "
But still nice and long right? 
bcooper56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bcooper56
@The_Laughing_Man said:

" @bcooper56 said:

" @Pinworm45 said:
Can't afford 400 or 500$ is that not price of console pretty much it's not hard to save 100 or 200 more. "
MY friend bought his 360 at release. And because of the current economy. He has only enough to pay rent and buy food. Sort of the same with me.  "
That's under standable but clearly almost any one can afford a pc only people who can't are people who work at  mcdonalds and have to support 4 kids. Also you get much more value with pc i do own a ps3 and 360 and play them but with pc it literally does every thing it can be a ps1 or n64 for you since i have hard time finding old games this is my only option.
mrariscottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mrariscottle
@The_Laughing_Man: Erm... Probably?
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@bcooper56 said:

" @bcooper56 said:

" @Pinworm45 said:
MY friend bought his 360 at release. And because of the current economy. He has only enough to pay rent and buy food. Sort of the same with me.  "
That's under standable but clearly almost any one can afford a pc only people who can't are people who work at  mcdonalds and have to support 4 kids. Also you get much more value with pc i do own a ps3 and 360 and play them but with pc it literally does every thing it can be a ps1 or n64 for you since i have hard time finding old games this is my only option. "
I have a laptop that can play crysis on High. Got it for a steal. *But HP back stabbed me with support*  

I am just saying. But anyways...... 

What info do you have on rage? 
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#21  Edited By sjschmidt93
@The_Laughing_Man said:
Maybe twice as much. Maybe.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@SJSchmidt93 said:
Maybe twice as much. Maybe. "
*This one was a inside joke/punch at alien ware* 
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@The_Laughing_Man: Hopefully. Though the amount of discs could be due to the technical aspects of the game rather than the gameplay aspects.
Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dasacant2
@bcooper56 said:
"
That's under standable but clearly almost any one can afford a pc only people who can't are people who work at  mcdonalds and have to support 4 kids. Also you get much more value with pc i do own a ps3 and 360 and play them but with pc it literally does every thing it can be a ps1 or n64 for you since i have hard time finding old games this is my only option. "
I thought you didn't own a 360?   
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HitmanAgent47

@The_Laughing_Man: Great now I have to post crysis screenshots all over the thread to prove the doubters wrong. You have to play it on very high before you judge the game, high doesn't count and ppl has their perceptions wrong when they think everyone runs it the same as they do because they saw crysis on a lower setting on their laptop and thinks that's all it has to offer.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By BabyChooChoo

1. Graphics do not make a good game 
2. Crytek has been making engines since it's birth. That's what they do. id has been working on id Tech 5 since before Doom 4. Guerilla Games most likely started work on their engine when they started KZ2 which I'm assuming was around '07. The fact KZ2 performed as well as it did is actually a pat on the back for GG.
3. The only other noteworthy PC devs that come to mind who make great engines are Valve and Epic. The Source engine and Unreal engine. Valve, Unreal, Crytek, and id might as well be in the business of creating engines. That's just what they do. The spend years and years working on engines. A lot of console devs and PC devs spend a short amount of time to make an engine for one franchise then maybe move onto the next with a new engine. That is assuming they haven't borrowed an engine from another developers because you see making a really great, full-featured engine takes time. To make it seem as if PC devs somehow all create great engines is blatantly false. In reality, it's a very small fraction of PC devs who show the others 'how it's done.'

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Bwast

No Caption Provided
234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By 234r2we232
@Pinworm45 said:
Yes, but you're discounting that the money you save on not upgrading your PC could go towards supporting games instead of pirating them :)
abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By abdo

While you are onto something saying that PCs are more capable than consoles, which is true no matter how you look at it, mentioning Rage makes your point invalid. Game hasn't even been shown that much.

newt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By newt
@sofacitysweetheart:  
he never stated that he pirated games 

PC games are cheaper regardless (and their prices drop much faster), so any half-fleshed library for 360/PS3 + console will still cost more than PC + games.
SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SlasherMan
@sofacitysweetheart said:
" @Pinworm45 said:
Yes, but you're discounting that the money you save on not upgrading your PC could go towards supporting games instead of pirating them :) "
You're accusing him of pirating his games based on...?
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Jeffsekai

Crysis came out in 2007, its still the best looking game on the market.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Drebin_893

Ooh, fanboys. Never failing to crack me up in an "Oh God, people are disgusting" sort of way.

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By ectoplasma

I get the feeling a lot of people who argue for PCs aren't really gamers. The money you have to invest got a little lower over the years, but the general rule of thumb  is that u need every 2 years an upgrade or better a new machine. A capable gaming PC without a screen is about 600e atm. And u can calculate to pump at least another 400 2 years leater. So that's definitely more expensive than a console. On the other hand it's not so easy to compare costs. There are additional costs coming to console owners, too. Peripherals, TV, live costs etc. 

Concerning the topic, well everything u say is just a bunch of claims. Crysis 2 and Rage aren't even released yet. And just claiming they build the bet engines, maybe but maybe we had to look at more variables.

newt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By newt
@ectoplasma said:
" I get the feeling a lot of people who argue for PCs aren't really gamers. The money you have to invest got a little lower over the years, but the general rule of thumb  is that u need every 2 years an upgrade or better a new machine. A capable gaming PC without a screen is about 600e atm. And u can calculate to pump at least another 400 2 years leater. So that's definitely more expensive than a console. On the other hand it's not so easy to compare costs. There are additional costs coming to console owners, too. Peripherals, TV, live costs etc.  Concerning the topic, well everything u say is just a bunch of claims. Crysis 2 and Rage aren't even released yet. And just claiming they build the bet engines, maybe but maybe we had to look at more variables. "
An initial investment of $500-600 will do just fine as long as you don't need to be on the bleeding edge.  Spending $400 every two years seems asinine.  I have built several gaming machines, never spending more than $500 (excluding screen).  All of these machines lasted at least 4 years, and all have outlasted the relevant console generations.
SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SlasherMan
@ectoplasma said:

" I get the feeling a lot of people who argue for PCs aren't really gamers. The money you have to invest got a little lower over the years, but the general rule of thumb  is that u need every 2 years an upgrade or better a new machine. "

That's a general rule of thumb that you seem to have made up. I haven't upgraded anything in 3 years which was when I built my current machine, and I still can't find any reason to.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By meteora

Fucking OP just has to start this argument over again doesn't he?

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

So a couple PC developers made games that look as good as a 2 year old PS3 game?  That is something to be proud of?  And while Rage and Crysis 2 did look good, they certainly didn't "crush" KZ2.  I didn't see anything that make me go "wow" in either game.   

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By FluxWaveZ

So... what?

lukusluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By lukusluke

This is a serious discussion.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bionicicide
@newt said:
An initial investment of $500-600 will do just fine as long as you don't need to be on the bleeding edge.  Spending $400 every two years seems asinine.  I have built several gaming machines, never spending more than $500 (excluding screen).  All of these machines lasted at least 4 years, and all have outlasted the relevant console generations. "
Well yeah... IF YOU BUILD YOUR OWN PC!
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MrKlorox

Eh... virtually all of the biggest console developers used to be PC developers. It makes sense since consoles today are like PCs except they all have the same hardware setups, making games easier to develop for them.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By MysteriousBob

Love how the only people defending the OP have white usernames. I have played Crysis on Max settings (not my machine if you're wondering) and it looked good but also rather boring. I prioritise art style over technical accomplishment. I prefer the visuals of SFIV over Crysis.
Not to mention that the actual game was pretty mediocre.

PC gaming is dying because nobody wants to be associated with you tossers.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MrKlorox
@MysteriousBob:  Is that how you actually see this thread? PC gaming proponents aren't the only ones with beer goggles when it comes to platform discussion.
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Coombs
@MysteriousBob said:
" PC gaming is dying because nobody wants to be associated with you tossers. "

No Caption Provided

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By MysteriousBob
@MrKlorox said:
" @MysteriousBob:  Is that how you actually see this thread? PC gaming proponents aren't the only ones with beer goggles when it comes to platform discussion. "
Thats true, but they're the ones who seem to think that graphics are all that matter.
zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#47  Edited By zidd

The hardware cycles on PCs are much much shorter than any console. Which is why this happens.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By iam3green

i don't actually think so. since there are a lot of crappy games that have been made from a port of the consoles. PC games do look a lot better than consoles when the developers try and make them.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LiquidSwords

Not everyone can afford top of the line hardware Mr. Money Bags

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Pinworm45
@sofacitysweetheart said:

" @Pinworm45 said:

Yes, but you're discounting that the money you save on not upgrading your PC could go towards supporting games instead of pirating them :) "
http://i46.tinypic.com/2646txw.jpg    

That's just steam, since I got my credit card 9 months ago. Want me to go take pics of my boxes?