PC v Mac games

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By christ0phe

I'm obviously ignorant about this subject, but is it difficult turning a PC game into a Mac game.  Is it the cost that keeps companies from making games available across both computers?  Blizzard and a few other companies do it, and especially now with Steam support for Mac, I would hope that more games become available for Mac.  There are so many games, like Mount and Blade that I would love to play, but I have neither the money or the interest to create a gaming PC.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Three0neFive

bootcamp

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By christ0phe
@Three0neFive: C'mon man, you know just as well as I do that bootcamp is an imperfect solution.  And a lot of people don't want to go through the hassle
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By HitmanAgent47

The hassle for developers is to release games on macs since they are like 5% of the computer market. If your using bootcamp, your essentially using a computer with windows to play games, except you don't have the best components for gaming. For what you paid, you could of got a really good gaming pc and if you want, you could of actually installed mac and windows on it even though that's rare anyone will install osx on their pc's.   

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8    

Itadakimas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Itadakimas

My friend uses bootcamp on his MAC. It was sort of a hassle getting it started, but it's fine now he just boots it up like a PC with Windows. What sucked at first was his lack of HD space since he had to partition it between OSX and Windows, but he just got an external HD. Now the problem is he has the best MAC laptop pro thing, but he can't play all of the games out now since he's bottlenecked with the specs an un upgradable MAC has.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By ZimboDK

Actually, it's pretty simple. Most games today are DirectX based, and that is a Microsoft product. Why? Honestly, mostly Microsoft propaganda. Most of the stuff you can do in DirectX can be done in OpenGL. Companies like Valve and... others can easily (well, relatively) port their games to Mac since they're based on OpenGL.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By AndrewB
@ZimboDK said:
" Actually, it's pretty simple. Most games today are DirectX based, and that is a Microsoft product. Why? Honestly, mostly Microsoft propaganda. Most of the stuff you can do in DirectX can be done in OpenGL. Companies like Valve and... others can easily (well, relatively) port their games to Mac since they're based on OpenGL. "
This is true, but a number of contributing factors means that the OGL version of the Source engine runs like ass compared to the DirectX/Windows version; though that seems like it's mostly due to the lack of familiarity with OGL and older, non-optimized drivers for OS X, and not any real limitation with Open GL in general.
ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ZimboDK
@AndrewB: Yeah, I hope it's because of lack of familiarity and not OpenGL itself that makes Source engine games run bad on Mac. It's about time that Microsoft got some proper competition in the graphics market. Stuff like Hardware Tesselation, which Microsoft pimped heavily, had been available on OpenGL for years before DX11. They're just getting lazy.

Btw, if anyone wants to read more about why DirectX beat OpenGL, there's a very lengthy article about it here.
qwerty000106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By qwerty000106

-snip-