PC vs. console gaming

vosco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By vosco

Since I built this bad ass computer for xmas and the the steam sale., I am gradually moving more to the PC for all my gaming needs.  I have not played my wii since mario world., I'm on chapter 18 in Uncharted 2 (but do not know when I will finish it )  and I'm on the final boss in Darksiders on my 360.  I played  MassEffect on the 360 but for some reason since I have bought it on steam ($5) , the game has me sucked in completely.  I love achievements which lately has seems like like the onlly reason I am on the the 360, besides MW2.H as anyone made the moved to  PC gaming unexpectingly.  It is a better Platform  compared to the games I have been playing. Doed anyone feel the same

vosco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By vosco

Since I built this bad ass computer for xmas and the the steam sale., I am gradually moving more to the PC for all my gaming needs.  I have not played my wii since mario world., I'm on chapter 18 in Uncharted 2 (but do not know when I will finish it )  and I'm on the final boss in Darksiders on my 360.  I played  MassEffect on the 360 but for some reason since I have bought it on steam ($5) , the game has me sucked in completely.  I love achievements which lately has seems like like the onlly reason I am on the the 360, besides MW2.H as anyone made the moved to  PC gaming unexpectingly.  It is a better Platform  compared to the games I have been playing. Doed anyone feel the same

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By thatfrood

Pc gaming and console gaming provide different advantages and are for different people.
Your post is not written very well, btw.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Another thread but some of us would like to enjoy higher framerates and whatever but we can't afford new parts. My comp hasn't even reached dual core.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By artofwar420

I'd say I used to be more of a console gamer but gradually I've tried to balance out console gaming and PC gaming; I think it's worked out great. It doesn't hurt that I like to tinker with computorz.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I feel exactly the same, well then again i'm a pc gamer, I do have a console, yet I play more pc games and stuff. I feel it's a very powerful platform graphic wise, especially resolution. I enjoy using the accurate controls and sitting in front of a lcd monitor playing games, which I can minimize, then talk on the forum at bit, then go back to playing my game.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By sjschmidt93

Rented Bioshock 2 for PS3 because I don't think my PC can handle it, and yeah, I can't fucking stand the controls. 

It's better graphics and controls vs. easy accessibility (and being able to avoid ra-tarded DRM, I'm looking at you suck-u-rom)

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By AndrewB

PC gaming would have remained great if not for the pirates. Pirates cause focus to be shifted to the somewhat safer consoles, which in turn results in shoddy console to PC ports. I do still play the majority of my games on the PC, regardless. Especially first person shooters and older games that drop to insane prices on Steam.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By mano521

i am mostly a console gamer. the fact is. pcs always can run better than consoles with better graphics, speeds, whatever. but the only problem is, that you need to keep upgrading or buying a new one. for consoles,  the graphics still look almost or as good as pc versions, and they run smoothly, and games are made with the consoles maximum capabilities in mind.  
i dont really think i explained it well but i think i got the point across.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Coombs

Honestly if I had thousands of dollars to blow on a gaming rig, I would probably switch.
But I don't, So my 360 covers all my gaming needs just fine.  I don't feel I'm missing out on anything. (Except MAG...)

gazel_ministry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By gazel_ministry

Since the Steam sale I've been spending roughly 80% of my time playing on the pc. I have that wonderful problem of having too many games right now.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Geno

Definitely a PC gamer here, but consoles have a lot of great stuff, in addition to being great value for money. Talking about PS3 and 360 of course. 

icedturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By icedturtle
@Coombs said:
" Honestly if I had thousands of dollars to blow on a gaming rig, I would probably switch. But I don't, So my 360 covers all my gaming needs just fine.  I don't feel I'm missing out on anything. (Except MAG...) "
I agree, its just way to expensive to get into the PC thing. It used to make sense when the PC games were way cooler looking than the console games but now the PC games are just the same but look a little better and run a little better, which is cool but not worth it.  
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13  Edited By Geno

PC gaming is expensive to get into, but its games are super cheap. Steam does crazy 75% or more sales all the time, so in a way the money you spend on hardware is recouped by the software (sort of the opposite of consoles). 

Synchronatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Synchronatic

I own a PS3 and play it a decent amount, but when I can I always get games on my PC. There's something just inherently right about gaming on a PC. I don' t really know what it is. Although between my PC and my PS3 I feel like I'm able to get any released I'm interested in. For 360 exclusives it is almost always that they are released on PC as well or I don't care about them.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By SeriouslyNow

PC gaming isn't really that much more expensive if you compare the cost of games on the PC being discounted much more quickly than the console versions.  What you get in convenience on a console, you pay for in cost per game whereas in PC you pay more upfront for the hardware.  I'm pretty sure that if a proper dollar vs dollar comparison was made over a 12 month period that they'd both be pretty much equal overall.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By armaan8014

If you've got a great PC then it's definitely the better option, but the downside is that not as many games come for the PC as for the console.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Ineedaname

I do a bit of both, mainly console though, I often find my self just wanting to chill out sitting back on the bed playing, as oppose to being at a chair right in front of the monitor.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Barrock

I've found myself slowly gravitating towards the PC as well. Currently I'm trying to decide if I should buy Bioshock 2 on the PC or 360. I really love me some achievements...

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Barrock: Bioshock 2 is beatiful @ 1080p proper.  It also has achievements as part of Games for Windows Live.
mrmanga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mrmanga

If you have a uber pc then yes computers are the better console. However if you are like me and just have a decent PC then consoles are the better option. It all depends on the PC. In my opinion at least.
Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fudgeblood
@icedturtle said:
"I agree, its just way to expensive to get into the PC thing.    "
Not if you know where to look.

For $500 you can get the parts for a sweet PC (Whether you put the parts together yourself or get someone to do it for you is up to you.) that can run all the current games at around max.

Anyway, I was strictly a console gamer for about 6 years, I never saw the need for PC's and thought they were way too expensive, then a friend convinced me to buy a PC and I haven't played consoles since. I owned my Xbox 360 for about 8 months, and my PC for about 2 years, I've spent more on the Xbox 360 than my PC and I have 3 times as much games for my PC.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By penguindust

I recently upgraded my PC following the Steam sales late last year and the release of Dragon Age: Origins, and while my PC gaming has significantly increased, my console gaming is still prominent.  Now, I'm sure that Mass Effect 2 had a great deal to do with that, but I'm still enjoying the most recent Ratchet & Clank on my PS3 and hope to check out Bayonetta and Battlefield Bad Company 2 soon on consoles.    Truth of the matter is, I'm probably more "neutral" today than ever.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Azteck

I want to get into PC gaming, it's where all my friends are. But it's by far too expensive to buy a gaming rig. I'm fine with my Xbox for now.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By nrain

In an ideal world I'd have every console, a mac and gaming rig. But unfortunately that is not the case, the fact is you can get a great graphics machine in an xbox 360 for very little price that is very easy to use, which is why I am console gamer first and foremost.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cspiffo
@Coombs said:
"Honestly if I had thousands of dollars to blow on a gaming rig, I would probably switch. But I don't, So my 360 covers all my gaming needs just fine.  I don't feel I'm missing out on anything. (Except MAG...) "

It doesn't cost thousands of dollars.  $700 max for a beast of a gaming machine.  You can get in for as low as $300 though for a complete build.
Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

I love PC gaming. I have a 360 and a PS3 but they're strictly for exclusives. I just love tinkering with hardware. It's an expensive hobby though. Especially considering I always have to have my games at max so that's a new GPU every 1-2 years. And to make sure it's not bottlenecked that's a new CPU/Mobo (mobo depending on if there was a new architecture released) every couple years. And with the price of GPUs that's pretty much a new console. But it's worth it to be able to play games at high resolutions with high FPS.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Binman88

Console gaming is a lot easier and cheaper to get into than PC gaming, that's why it will always remain the dominant platform. Having said that, I'm primarily a PC gamer. I own a PS3 to play console exclusive titles, but I always buy the PC version of any game that comes out (if there's one available). I prefer the higher resolution, frame rates, and overall better looking experience the PC offers in most games. I also vastly prefer the keyboard and mouse controls to a gamepad for shooters.

puddlesworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By puddlesworth

This price argument is silly because everyone has and needs a computer anyway. The price of your 360 or PS3 + the price of the computer you undoubtedly own is similar if not much more than the price of a gaming rig. The real cost of PC gaming is the difference between the price of the shitty computer you would have bought and the price of an awesome desktop rig. 

Also great gaming PC's do not cost $1000 in 2010. My new desktop cost almost exactly $600 before monitor and can handle any game I've thrown at it at max settings in 1080p. It also has the advantage of running normal computer things much better (browser, matlab, eclipse) so I can get work done too.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By dagas

I'm a console gamer at heart, but moved to PC in 2003. However I've since moved more and more towards consoles and now I don't even play games on the PC anymore. PC gaming isn't what it used to be. 1997-2005 was great, but the last few years less and less PC exclusive titles are released. Now the only thing the PC have are MMO's and RTS's. 

In 2004 we had Doom 3, far Cry and HL2 the same year. Now we don't even have one big exclusive FPS.

Tirrandir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tirrandir

I've started moving over to PC, as well.  Part of that is that I recently was flush with money and decided to invest in a nice gaming rig, but also because indie games are EVERYWHERE on PC.  For someone who's a fan of the strange and short, there are hundreds of free games and plenty of $5 and $10 pieces of brilliance.  Some of them make it over to consoles, but ... let's face it, the PC just has a wider, less homogeneous selection.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@vosco said:
"  Doed anyone feel the same "
I doedn't.  

I only switch to PC when the game isn't available on the 360.  I like the comfort of a living room & TV for playing a game.  As opposed to sitting at a desk in front of a screen (which reminds me of work for some reason).
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
" I like the comfort of a living room & TV for playing a game.  As opposed to sitting at a desk in front of a screen (which reminds me of work for some reason). "
Why do people keep saying that?  I use my PC in the loungeroom from my couch with a Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse.  My PC is definitely quieter than my 360.
Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By Andheez

Couple of things about a PC, 1, it is only for 1 player games (barring online), so there is no local co-op or split screen.  2, 19 inch computer screen, stuck at a desk, versus lounging in any damn position you choose, or even walking around the room looking at a 55 inch plasma.  Also, I have some to appreciate the controller over the mouse and keyboard in most instances.  The keyboard mouse is definitely more varied, and more precise, but I have come to like the equalizer or the joystick controllers.  Now no RTS will ever be playable on console legitimately, so I comp there ( and really there is only Starcraft, all the rest just don't compare), but I don't like MMO's or SIM games, so more options and slightly better performance don't really hook me.

icedturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By icedturtle
@Fudgeblood said:
" @icedturtle said:
Not if you know where to look.  For $500 you can get the parts for a sweet PC (Whether you put the parts together yourself or get someone to do it for you is up to you.) that can run all the current games at around max.  Anyway, I was strictly a console gamer for about 6 years, I never saw the need for PC's and thought they were way too expensive, then a friend convinced me to buy a PC and I haven't played consoles since. I owned my Xbox 360 for about 8 months, and my PC for about 2 years, I've spent more on the Xbox 360 than my PC and I have 3 times as much games for my PC. "
PC $500   Xbox 360 $200, thanks for proving my point
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
" I like the comfort of a living room & TV for playing a game.  As opposed to sitting at a desk in front of a screen (which reminds me of work for some reason). "
Why do people keep saying that?  I use my PC in the loungeroom from my couch with a Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse.  My PC is definitely quieter than my 360. "
And you gotta re-charge, swap-out fucking batteries. I'm a wired dude, duder.   Gotta have my cables.

Trying to play any game with a mouse from a recliner hurts my hand too.  The mouse is not ergonomically built for that kind of position of your back & shit.  I discovered this when I tried playing a game from a recliner using a mouse on my MBP.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By pause422

I'll always be more of a PC player but I do plenty of everything.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By iam3green

PC gaming is a lot better for the games. some developers seem to ruin it with crappy things like no servers, mod support, DRM, bad developing. other then that it is good. console is good for playing with friends as there are not a lot of people who are into PC gaming. it is a very small amount of people who play them.

Alphawolfy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By Alphawolfy
@nrain said:
" In an ideal world I'd have every console, a mac and gaming rig. But unfortunately that is not the case, the fact is you can get a great graphics machine in an xbox 360 for very little price that is very easy to use, which is why I am console gamer first and foremost. "
Pretty much my thoughts. I try to play some PC games because most of my friends either have a different console (PS3 or Wii), or don't have a console. However, I often run into a bunch of problems. I usually find a way to fix them, but then I think to myself: I could be playing this in an instance on my 360, with better performance and graphics (compared to my mid-range PC), and less problems! I'm not against PC gaming, but the cost of upgrading a PC puts me off too. Also, I never even buy console games for the full $60 anyway, so the price per game thing is irrelevant for me.
Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Fudgeblood
@icedturtle said:
" @Fudgeblood said:
" @icedturtle said:
Not if you know where to look.  For $500 you can get the parts for a sweet PC (Whether you put the parts together yourself or get someone to do it for you is up to you.) that can run all the current games at around max.  Anyway, I was strictly a console gamer for about 6 years, I never saw the need for PC's and thought they were way too expensive, then a friend convinced me to buy a PC and I haven't played consoles since. I owned my Xbox 360 for about 8 months, and my PC for about 2 years, I've spent more on the Xbox 360 than my PC and I have 3 times as much games for my PC. "
PC $500   Xbox 360 $200, thanks for proving my point "
I was simply stating that a gaming PC doesn't cost thousands of dollars like many people think.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By Skytylz

do most of my gaming on my 360, but i get a few games here and there for pc and i'm always impressed.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Three0neFive

I would post a proper response to this thread, but I know that I would have ignorant console fanboys breathing down my neck spouting blatant fallacies and illogical arguments (Specifically the one they call "Diamond" - such a peculiar amoeba, that one).

Le Sigh. :/

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
Why do people keep saying that?  I use my PC in the loungeroom from my couch with a Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse.  My PC is definitely quieter than my 360. "
And you gotta re-charge, swap-out fucking batteries. I'm a wired dude, duder.   Gotta have my cables.  Trying to play any game with a mouse from a recliner hurts my hand too.  The mouse is not ergonomically built for that kind of position of your back & shit.  I discovered this when I tried playing a game from a recliner using a mouse on my MBP. "
WHat about using a Wireless XBOX 360 controller instead of mouse and keyboard for the game which support it (which are many)?  Or how about trying a Logitech MX Air rechargeable mouse which works like a normal mouse but also be like wii remote only it doesn't need a sensor bar.
warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By warxsnake

I enjoy and like my PS3 a lot but I am and always be a 99% pc gamer. i just cant give up freedom and choice to get stuck in a closed platform. 

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
And you gotta re-charge, swap-out fucking batteries. I'm a wired dude, duder.   Gotta have my cables.  Trying to play any game with a mouse from a recliner hurts my hand too.  The mouse is not ergonomically built for that kind of position of your back & shit.  I discovered this when I tried playing a game from a recliner using a mouse on my MBP. "
WHat about using a Wireless XBOX 360 controller instead of mouse and keyboard for the game which support it (which are many)?  Or how about trying a Logitech MX Air rechargeable mouse which works like a normal mouse but also be like wii remote only it doesn't need a sensor bar. "
I use wired controllers. Wired mouse, wired keyboard.  I just say no to wireless.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By trophyhunter

I'm just going to say no 
if you want more details view the other 100 posts I've made today on this topic

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By frankxiv

i don't like any assumptions that it has to be one way or the other, in either direction, so no i don't feel the same way.

it's not all or nothing, things can coexist, you don't need to give up one to do more of the other, nobody will get mad at you.