People stealing images from other people's photobuckets

FreeTWOGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FreeTWOGame

Does this site have any kind of policy against that? Because I stumbled across a guy who had uploaded a large number of images I had uploaded to photobucket, notable examples
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/Free2Game/World%20In%20Conflict/?action=view&current=wic2009-02-1309-00-23-11.jpg
http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/snydertiger2003/all-images/52-154003/wic2009_02_1309_00_23_11/51-888322/

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/Free2Game/Burnout%20Paradise/?action=view&current=BurnoutParadise2009-02-1510-48-42-9.jpg
http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/snydertiger2003/all-images/52-154003/burnoutparadise2009_02_1510_48_42_9/51-890022/ 

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/snydertiger2003/all-images/52-154003/hl22009_01_1023_01_35_31/51-858352/ 
 http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/Free2Game/HL2/CM9/?action=view&current=hl22009-01-1023-01-35-31.jpg

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/snydertiger2003/all-images/52-154003/ut32008_11_2302_29_12_91/51-819302/
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/Free2Game/UT3/?action=view&current=UT32008-11-2302-29-12-91.jpg

this is just a few examples

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By thebeast

See point 6.1 in the Photobucket Terms of Use

"Photobucket and/or other Users may copy, print or display publicly available Content outside of the Photobucket Services, including without limitation, via the Site or third party websites or applications... "  

FreeTWOGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FreeTWOGame

This isn't photobucket though, it's still a pretty grey area

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
@FreeTWOGame: It isn't a grey area...it doesn't break any Photobucket or Giant Bomb rules. That's pretty crystal clear. Nothing grey about it.
FreeTWOGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FreeTWOGame
@Chaser324 said:
" @FreeTWOGame: It isn't a grey area...it doesn't break any Photobucket or Giant Bomb rules. That's pretty crystal clear. Nothing grey about it. "
Giant Bomb's own policy on it isn't clear itself
Guiltyspark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Guiltyspark

personally i think that people who steal from photobucket are assholes and should be banned on sight

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

As far as I can tell the only restriction GB has on images is that it may not contain watermarks from another site. Thus it would seem to me that this user is in the clear as far as posting the content from Photobucket here.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Out_On_Bail
@FreeTWOGame: Giantbomb doesn't need a policy on it, Photobucket's policy clearly states that images can be copied and displayed publicly outside of their website.
Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Radar
@Guiltyspark said:

" personally i think that people who steal from photobucket are assholes and should be banned on sight "

Really? This isn't a stolen piece of art from a museum. It just looks like pictures of video games. Which the OP didn't own any rights to in the first place. People should expect their stuff to be taken if it's uploaded publicly on the internet by now.
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
@Out_On_Bail said:
" @FreeTWOGame: Giantbomb doesn't need a policy on it, Photobucket's policy clearly states that images can be copied and displayed publicly outside of their website. "
Having done my fair share of time reading license agreements, this is pretty much the only thing that matters. Nothing on Photobucket restricts how the public images on their site are used.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_A_Drain
@FreeTWOGame said:
" @Chaser324 said:
" @FreeTWOGame: It isn't a grey area...it doesn't break any Photobucket or Giant Bomb rules. That's pretty crystal clear. Nothing grey about it. "
Giant Bomb's own policy on it isn't clear itself "

Given that it's not up to Giantbomb, i'd say it's pretty clear. It's up to photobucket how their images are distributed, and Giantbomb has no reason or grounds to say otherwise. 

You put stuff up on the interwebs, and it usually gets used by somebody else. Unfortunately, you agreed to Photonuckets conditions so have no basis for complaint.
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Kazona
@The_A_Drain said:
" @FreeTWOGame said:
" @Chaser324 said:
Giant Bomb's own policy on it isn't clear itself "
Given that it's not up to Giantbomb, i'd say it's pretty clear. It's up to photobucket how their images are distributed, and Giantbomb has no reason or grounds to say otherwise.  You put stuff up on the interwebs, and it usually gets used by somebody else. Unfortunately, you agreed to Photonuckets conditions so have no basis for complaint. "
Not entirely true. Giant Bomb has the right to refuse and delete any content that they don't want on their site. But I really doubt that they will remove those images simply because it was taken from someone's Photobucket. They've made the rules for the site pretty clear: as long as an image is not watermarked, it is allowed on the site.

As for the OP. He didn't steal anything from you. You posted pictures on a website where they became publicly available. If you were really so concerned about people stealing your images, you should've either put a watermark on them, or simply not uploaded them to a public website at all.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By KamasamaK

Hah, "stealing". People like to throw that term around too often these days, and often incorrectly (e.g. this).

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By FluxWaveZ

And it's not as if they're drawings or anything personal anyways.  They're screenshots from video games!
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#15  Edited By LordAndrew

It's not against Photobucket's rules (Photobucket explicitly allows it) and it's not against Giant Bomb's rules.
In addition, they are screenshots. If anyone can claim ownership it's the developer/publisher. But fair use allows "Free2Game" to post those images publicly, and it allows us to do the same.

If you want to provide source information for images, go right ahead. It's not required though.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By crusader8463

If its public then its public and anyone can use them. If you don't want people to take your photos, keep them off the internet because once anything goes up its fair game legal or not. Or keep it private photos.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iam3green

it's not stealing. some people might get it from google. i know i get a lot of images from image.google and the photobucket comes up a lot. the only thing i would be mad about is if somebody took a picture of me and posted it somewhere else that wasn't by me posting it. it is the only time to get mad about it.