nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By nintendoeats
No Caption Provided

Eight years ago we moved into this house...and I was 13. I was very happy to have a TV with a Gamecube hooked up to it, but the TV was about 20 years old and had...issues. Lot's of them. I'm telling you this, because I want to put what you are about to see in context.

Last night I finished the month-long process of completely reorganizing my room. It is no longer a bedroom: It's the best damned bombing room that I can make without quite a lot of money. There are one or two things that need doing, but they aren't things that you can see.

Most of my carts are in the drawers behind that chair
Those drawers are the most boring thing in here, because they contain my clothes. But I have some very awesome clothes
Those drawers are the most boring thing in here, because they contain my clothes. But I have some very awesome clothes
The last thing I had to do was build these shelves. My joints are a tad...imperfect...but I'm proud of my creation nonetheless. Unfortunately those shelves don't quite hold all of my DVD-boxed games.
The last thing I had to do was build these shelves. My joints are a tad...imperfect...but I'm proud of my creation nonetheless. Unfortunately those shelves don't quite hold all of my DVD-boxed games.
That whiteboard is aiding in the development of a great video game.
That TV may look like it cost a million billion, but I cleverly waited to find one at an auction quite cheap. Such is the story with 90% of the stuff in here.
That TV may look like it cost a million billion, but I cleverly waited to find one at an auction quite cheap. Such is the story with 90% of the stuff in here.
Those cables aren't usually quite so obvious.
This is what it looks like behind my TV. This is a task that I am going to tackle at a later date, but I think that some more woodwork is in order.
This is what it looks like behind my TV. This is a task that I am going to tackle at a later date, but I think that some more woodwork is in order.
Whenever my stupid monoprice order gets here those cables are going to be much less visible, but that doesn't change the fact that this is a fantastic desk to work from. And I have coffee!
Whenever my stupid monoprice order gets here those cables are going to be much less visible, but that doesn't change the fact that this is a fantastic desk to work from. And I have coffee!

And that's it. You're all welcome to come down and play some...well anything really. This is Giant Bomb's room.

No Caption Provided
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By nintendoeats
No Caption Provided

Eight years ago we moved into this house...and I was 13. I was very happy to have a TV with a Gamecube hooked up to it, but the TV was about 20 years old and had...issues. Lot's of them. I'm telling you this, because I want to put what you are about to see in context.

Last night I finished the month-long process of completely reorganizing my room. It is no longer a bedroom: It's the best damned bombing room that I can make without quite a lot of money. There are one or two things that need doing, but they aren't things that you can see.

And that's it. You're all welcome to come down and play some...well anything really. This is Giant Bomb's room.

No Caption Provided
Garris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Garris

That's a pretty sweet setup but the cables man THE CABLES!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nintendoeats

@Garris said:

That's a pretty sweet setup but the cables man THE CABLES!

Even back in the shitty TV days I had to fight the bloody things, because everything needed to go through a VCR that converted it to coaxial. Now I have the opposite problem because of course my receiver can't output the video from older consoles over HDMI so I have to have things going both ways and AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

This is awesome, but do you sleep on the floor?

Wait, never-mind. With this, who the hell needs or wants sleep?

EDIT: Also, one tiny little nitpicky thing - why didn't you separate your DVD games? You have Xbox 360 and PS2 and whatever else mixed in all over the place. I'm just saying, that's something that would personally bother me.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nintendoeats

@believer258: There was a very long fight, and my bed was moved to the guest room. Now when we have guests I have to sleep on a mattress that is about 6 inches shorter than I am.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Jams

@nintendoeats:

Are those hair dryers that you would see in a salon? Cool room too. It's cool that you made those shelves yourself, joints be damned. I'd like to make some myself, but it always seems to come out cheaper just to buy the cheap ones at Target or Walmart.

jonnybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By jonnybob

Are those hairdryers on your shelves? That is pretty awesome, I like the storage. I hope to someday finish the basement on the house I just bought and make a room I can lock myself in... and others out.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Justin258

@nintendoeats said:

@believer258: There was a very long fight, and my bed was moved to the guest room. Now when we have guests I have to sleep on a mattress that is about 6 inches shorter than I am.

Worth it.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Vinny_Says

That's a nice room but I can't get over the fact that you mix original xbox, PS2 and xbox 360 games on those shelves. Segregation is the correct way to do it bro!

Again, that does look like a cool room to hang out in.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nintendoeats

@Jams: @jonnybob:Those are in fact hair dryers. One benefit of the new setup is that I have them plugged in now. Cooler, and cheaper, than a normal couch. A little hard on the back though.

No Caption Provided

As for the shelving, it doesn't really cost that much more to build your own (provided that you have the tools), and if you use good material they will last forever and look much nicer. You can also make them to your exact specifications, in this case the precise size of the back of the couch.. Of course, there is also the risk that you will screw something up and wind up wasting very expensive wood.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#11  Edited By natetodamax

That cable apocalypse behind your TV is pretty intense. I used to think my tangled cables were bad but it's nothing compared to that!

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Azteck

That is one sexy guitar you've got there. Jelly

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#13  Edited By pyromagnestir

I will now read your white board and steal your video game!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nintendoeats

@Azteck: Thanks, it is my baby and I love it. Almost as much as my delay pedal :)

@Vinny_Says said:

That's a nice room but I can't get over the fact that you mix original xbox, PS2 and xbox 360 games on those shelves. Segregation is the correct way to do it bro!

I like the idea of the monolithic wall of games. If I could I would put ALL of my games on one big shelf. I would never have to remember what platform I had games for!

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Jrinswand

That's some cool stuff you got there, but I wonder if it really all needs to be displayed in your bedroom? Is there nowhere else you can put it? A garage or a storage space, perhaps? We've all seen what happens to people who collect video game memorabilia and never throw any of it away. I mean, look at Jeff's house. Jeff is a cool dude, but his house kind of scares the shit out of me.

Other things: It kills me that you don't have your game DVDs organized. PS2, Xbox, and Xbox 360 should not be all mixed together. 

All in all, though, that looks like a pretty cool room. And what state/area is this? That house in the window looks fucking old. Not in a bad way. Just like it has been around for a century or more.

And props on the Ziggy Stardust album. ;)

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nintendoeats

@believer258 said:

EDIT: Also, one tiny little nitpicky thing - why didn't you separate your DVD games? You have Xbox 360 and PS2 and whatever else mixed in all over the place. I'm just saying, that's something that would personally bother me.

See, the trick is that they are alphabetical. That's the best form of organization.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By killacam

@nintendoeats nice geet

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nintendoeats

@Jrinswand: If I could turn this place into a museum I could do it. I love this stuff to death. Me and Jeff are very similar in that regard. I wouldn't mind having an alternate storage space, but I would still want everything out for the world to see.

I'm in Windsor, Nova Scotia. This house is about 120 years old, and the house across the street...well, it isn't a house. It's a big stone church.

EDIT: Oops, the church isn't the one that is visible in the picture. Yeah, that one is pretty old too.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#19  Edited By Little_Socrates

Pretty amazing, but rather terrifying as well. Mostly because I can't imagine what you'll do when you buy more games.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nintendoeats

@Little_Socrates: You have hit the nail on the head, but I don't think that I'll hit that problem for a while. Once I hit 1000 games I became more selective about what I would be. I'm also buying more stuff through Steam, which obviously doesn't take up space.

I do want an arcade cabinet though, and I don't know what I'll do with that if it ever happens.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Coafi

@nintendoeats said:

@Jams: @jonnybob:Those are in fact hair dryers. One benefit of the new setup is that I have them plugged in now. Cooler, and cheaper, than a normal couch. A little hard on the back though.

No Caption Provided

As for the shelving, it doesn't really cost that much more to build your own (provided that you have the tools), and if you use good material they will last forever and look much nicer. You can also make them to your exact specifications, in this case the precise size of the back of the couch.. Of course, there is also the risk that you will screw something up and wind up wasting very expensive wood.

Those empty hairdryer bowls should provide an awesome built-in speaker setup. Make it happen!

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Vexxan

Looks sweet and all but oh dear those cables will never untangle themselves.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nintendoeats

@Coafi: That's something that I've been thinking about for while. It's mostly a matter of time and money, because of course I would want to do surround. It is also kind of nice having them as hair dryers.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Th3_James

Nice setup man.

I am pretty damn happy with my room setup ATM. Took me awhile to get everything I wanted but I feel content with everything. Got my 30" 2560x1600 monitor, 40" lcd, 1000 watt 5.1, beast of a custom pc, good office chair, and mini fridge stocked with booz. The one downside to my setup is the room it is in, during the summer my room will get up to the mid 90's and become unbearable.

As I can see from your bombing room you seem to have collected quite a bit of stuff over the years, do you plan on taking most of it with you when you move? I am only asking because I can't decide what I will take with me when I eventually move out of my parents place. I have procured so much "stuff" over the past 10-15 years and have been thinking about just starting fresh with only my essential devices and possessions.

I saw your cable clutter, and than realized how much worse my cable management is. I somehow have 6 power bars daisy chained off of 2 outlets.....

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

@nintendoeats said:

@Little_Socrates: You have hit the nail on the head, but I don't think that I'll hit that problem for a while. Once I hit 1000 games I became more selective about what I would be. I'm also buying more stuff through Steam, which obviously doesn't take up space.

I do want an arcade cabinet though, and I don't know what I'll do with that if it ever happens.

What machine have you been thinking of?

Anyway, sweet office, duder.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nintendoeats

@Th3_James said:

As I can see from your bombing room you seem to have collected quite a bit of stuff over the years, do you plan on taking most of it with you when you move? I am only asking because I can't decide what I will take with me when I eventually move out of my parents place. I have procured so much "stuff" over the past 10-15 years and have been thinking about just starting fresh with only my essential devices and possessions.

I would never leave all this stuff behind. I mean, I probably won't take it all with me to my first apartment, but I'm not going to get rid of any of it. I'm a collector and I always will be.

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: I really want a Galaga machine, but that's probably never going to happen. I'm also particularly interested in Time Crisis, Dig Dug or Mortal Kombat.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Hizang

Awesome room, the chairs are just epic.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nintendoeats

@Hizang said:

Awesome room, the chairs are just epic.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Justin258

@nintendoeats said:

@believer258 said:

See, the trick is that they are alphabetical. That's the best form of organization.

Looks like a lot of people are bringing that up. So I guess you've stumbled across something rather unorthodox.

I didn't even think that they might be alphabetical. I can see how that would be advantageous, but I still couldn't think of doing it myself.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nintendoeats

@believer258:It seems that way. I see where people are coming from (The rest of my games are organized by platform), but I find this to be infinitely easier to manage.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By Humanity

Thats a pretty sweet bombing room, although not quite sure on the definition of that!

The cables are in fact mans biggest problem. Let's get wireless electricity already.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice room! I will warn you though, I used to have those wire, snap together crates that it appears your tv is resting on. They are not the most reliable in the world, but you don't have them very high off the floor so you should be fine! Just be careful if you bump into them or something. Everything else looks great!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nintendoeats

@lilarchie232: I've been using them for about 6 months now, so I'm not worried. I'm also using a healthy number of cable ties and fasteners.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By iam3green

nice bombing room man.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mendelson9

Looks great. Most of my collection is in a tall shelf in my room and the consoles in the living room. Cool that you have a dedicated room for everything. It will be difficult when I move to college on what to take with me. I think i'll bring this current generation and keep the classics at home.

So what are your plans for cable management? My TV is a mess and I do not know where to start.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By nintendoeats

@Mendelson9: I'm not sure exactly. I'm thinking that a long thin box with holes in it might be the answer somehow, but I don't have a precise plan. It would be a lot simpler if everything could go through the receiver.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By ch3burashka

I'm pretty sure the way most people solve their 'wiring problem' such as you have usually is: burn the fucker down and move away. Good luck with it when you do attempt that feat of organizational skill - you'll need it.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By nintendoeats

@CH3BURASHKA: It's...a challenge...but hey, I play video games. I live for a challenge. (Well not really, but that's not the point)

Anyway, thank you for the encouragement.

AngstOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AngstOverlord

It ain't a wirin' problem til' it's stranglin' pets or children. That's how I've come to approach it, though you can never have too many switchers, because like hell I'm squidging behind the TV every time I want to change systems. That'd be crazy.

You have an Oddy 2 :D which is awesome. What controller type does yours have? Mine's the connected variety with 'ACTION' stamped into the buttons. How's your Virtual Boy doing? More and more frequently the screens are having issues due to glue degradation, which can be fixed, though it's supposed to be tricky. It's always good to hear about people who haven't had problems or were able to fix them.

Yours is an impressive setup and it'd totally be worth crashing on the floor if one got to play with the Vectrex!