• 89 results
AlwaysCrashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AlwaysCrashing

Obviously pirating recent releases on PC for instance is wrong, bad for the industry as a whole, and a big problem.

But what about SNES games that would cost you over $100 to buy out of rarity, of which none goes to publishers, as well as the inconvenience of keeping an old system connected? Or hard to find rare PC titles from yesteryear, such as lucasarts adventures?

Buying these games often doesn't mean supporting the industry, since publishers won't make any money from them, but gives gamers a whole pool of titles to appreciate and enjoy. Is it still wrong to pirate them? Or is it good for gamers to enjoy older titles and good for games in general that these titles can still get played, simply for their own merits, as opposed to being products with a bottom line?

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By brukaoru

Never.

I think it is still wrong to pirate them, indeed. Of course, it's nice to enjoy older titles, but that doesn't make it right, even if the games are not available elsewhere. The justification for piracy is silly. If I can't get a product, I live without it.

The only understanding I can see from pirating would be if you live in a country that will never see some games or the pricing is ridiculous because publishers do not support the country. The developers wouldn't be getting money from these people anyway. Even so, it's still wrong, in my opinion. You have to live without some things you want, so why can't you live without a game?

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By roushimsx

Most people are too morally bankrupt to be able to distinguish between when it's "ok" and when it's "not ok", even if there's some sort of standard in place.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jayge_

I don't think there is anything wrong with pirating a game that you would have to buy from someone off EBay or some other stupid re-seller. There are games out with no companies to attach the names to, so who would you be stealing from, if you consider piracy stealing? Nobody.

EvilPirateJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By EvilPirateJohn

Obviously, playing older snes or any other older system on my your pc is illegal.  So, in a sense, piracy is never "ok".

However, if you are trying to justify your decesion to pirate something, then I think that it's ok to do so when a game is out of print or production.

People against pirating older games often work in a similar industry or just really believe in upholding the copyright law, even though it doesn't necessarily hurt anyone. 

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gizmo

I buy products I think are worth the money, for example, I own all the LOTR films in special edition and have seen them all in the cinema.

I have not bought films like Final Destination 3 because they suck, although I would have unknowingly spent money viewing it in the cinema.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
brukaoru said:
"Never.

I think it is still wrong to pirate them, indeed. Of course, it's nice to enjoy older titles, but that doesn't make it right, even if the games are not available elsewhere. The justification for piracy is silly. If I can't get a product, I live without it.

The only understanding I can see from pirating would be if you live in a country that will never see some games or the pricing is ridiculous because publishers do not support the country. The developers wouldn't be getting money from these people anyway. Even so, it's still wrong, in my opinion. You have to live without some things you want, so why can't you live without a game?"
okay so your understanding of pirating a game if your in a country where you cannot get the game or the publisher wont support it in that country, but your not understanding if you could get that game but cant in a country... seems like the same thing to me, A game thats no longer made and cannot be found for purchase in america well im gonna pirate that.

I believe in pirating old games and games that are not worth the money but i wanna play them.
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PercyChuggs

When it comes to those old NES, SNES, Genesis type games, ones that have been LONG out of print, I don't considering downloading a ROM to be "piracy". If I download Yo! Noid, Capcom and Nintendo aren't losing out on any money at all.

AlwaysCrashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AlwaysCrashing
EvilPirateJohn said:
"Obviously, playing older snes or any other older system on my your pc is illegal.  So, in a sense, piracy is never "ok".

However, if you are trying to justify your decesion to pirate something, then I think that it's ok to do so when a game is out of print or production.

People against pirating older games often work in a similar industry or just really believe in upholding the copyright law, even though it doesn't necessarily hurt anyone. "
This is what I think it comes down to. Whether you it's bad simply because it's 'against the law' or bad for the industry.  And since the laws are there to protect the industry in the first place, I think piracy is ok if you're aware of when it can be done without damage.
MrRedwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By MrRedwine

A lot of you out there saying pirating old games is ok must be unaware of the fact that Nintendo sells a lot of old games and more of them every day on the virtual console.  If you can't get it there, then you can't legally get it.  And as the young man up there said, that's life.  If you have games you're emulating with your computer, it is illegal and probably not a moral thing to do under any circumstances.

All of you saying "Who am I robbing if I would have to get the game off of ebay?"  The answer is simple, the person who originally purchased the game, kept it in good condition, and now wants to sell it to you on ebay.  So what if the company isn't getting a cut, they at least get the notoriety of having a "rare but desiareble" game.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

When it comes to games, when there's no way to buy the game from the publisher.
If you can't, what does it matter?  The devs won't benefit from it.

Sure, it's against the law, but I think you could see the merit to that.  The truth is that there should be no reason for something being rare.
A digital version doesn't exactly end up in a collection anyway

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PercyChuggs
MrRedwine said:
"A lot of you out there saying pirating old games is ok must be unaware of the fact that Nintendo sells a lot of old games and more of them every day on the virtual console.  If you can't get it there, then you can't legally get it.  And as the young man up there said, that's life.  If you have games you're emulating with your computer, it is illegal and probably not a moral thing to do under any circumstances.
Who is to say what is "moral"? I live a perfectly "moral" life by pretty much anyones standards, I highly doubt downloading a Genesis game and playing it for 10 minutes before saying "This is boring" is going to doom my soul. If souls existed. Which they don't.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jayge_
MrRedwine said:
"A lot of you out there saying pirating old games is ok must be unaware of the fact that Nintendo sells a lot of old games and more of them every day on the virtual console.  If you can't get it there, then you can't legally get it.  And as the young man up there said, that's life.  If you have games you're emulating with your computer, it is illegal and probably not a moral thing to do under any circumstances.

All of you saying "Who am I robbing if I would have to get the game off of ebay?"  The answer is simple, the person who originally purchased the game, kept it in good condition, and now wants to sell it to you on ebay.  So what if the company isn't getting a cut, they at least get the notoriety of having a "rare but desiareble" game.
"
First of all, that was a young woman. Second of all, you must be unaware of the fact that most of us are talking about games that you cannot get anymore because they are out of circulation. We're all here posting at GiantBomb.com. You think we're that uneducated? There's nothing "immoral" about pirating a game that most people don't even have the original disk or cartridge for, especially if it's not on a gaming service like GoG or VC or PSN or XBLA. Even then, illegal or not, nobody would ever bother prosecuting you for pirating a game like that. In terms of a "victimless crime", this is the perfect example.

The person who originally purchased the game who is now selling it on eBay isn't getting "robbed" of anything. There is no moral obligation to purchase the game from him, especially if it only runs on a system you can't get anymore. If people are not willing to pay exorbitant prices for the game that the seller is offering, it's the seller's obligation to alter those prices in order to meet the true demand/willing-to-pay ratio. That's Capitalism.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By brukaoru

It's true that piracy and buying used games both have the same consequence for the developer (speaking of games that are still in circulation). They aren't getting that money. The difference is that buying used items is not illegal and piracy is.

I think a big problem I have is that most people who do pirate older games that are not obtainable by any other means tend to start pirating games that are currently in circulation, which is in fact, "robbing" the developer.

There are several older games (PC at least) that have been declared as freeware by developers, and I think it would be good if companies announced their older titles as freeware as well, IF they don't plan on re-releasing the title again.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
brukaoru said:
"It's true that piracy and buying used games both have the same consequence for the developer (speaking of games that are still in circulation). They aren't getting that money. The difference is that buying used items is not illegal and piracy is.."
How is pirating those games illegal if the copyright holders do not exist anymore? If the rights to the properties were not bought out by another company, it's impossible to prosecute someone for pirating an older game.

brukaoru said:
"I think a big problem I have is that most people who do pirate older games that are not obtainable by any other means tend to start pirating games that are currently in circulation, which is in fact, "robbing" the developer."
Hogwash. Prove it.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pause422
AlwaysCrashing said:
"Obviously pirating recent releases on PC for instance is wrong, bad for the industry as a whole, and a big problem.

But what about SNES games that would cost you over $100 to buy out of rarity, of which none goes to publishers, as well as the inconvenience of keeping an old system connected? Or hard to find rare PC titles from yesteryear, such as lucasarts adventures?

Buying these games often doesn't mean supporting the industry, since publishers won't make any money from them, but gives gamers a whole pool of titles to appreciate and enjoy. Is it still wrong to pirate them? Or is it good for gamers to enjoy older titles and good for games in general that these titles can still get played, simply for their own merits, as opposed to being products with a bottom line?"
Its ok when its trying a shitty ass game no one should buy, such as Mount and Blade, just to prove to Levio that you've tried it and gave it your attention before calling it complete shit. Also like above, if you're getting older games, or even emulating things that are far gone from any kind of hold its in no way illegal, there are plenty of games that you simply cannot get EVER again anywhere, and the only option is to "pirate" them, however its hardly any crime at that point.
DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By DARKIDO07

I would say its okay when you can't find a really, really old game like from the SNES or NES era.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By clarke0

It's never REALLY ok, but I don't think anyone is going to worry too much if you download some abandonware game.

Shinryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shinryu

When it doesnt affect the sales of the original content. I.E. recording a live concert and distributing it.

AlwaysCrashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AlwaysCrashing
Jayge said:

brukaoru said:
"I think a big problem I have is that most people who do pirate older games that are not obtainable by any other means tend to start pirating games that are currently in circulation, which is in fact, "robbing" the developer."
Hogwash. Prove it.
"
I think this is kinda true actually. There's no proof, but once people pirate a game, perhaps an older rom or something, and break that barrier, it's not such a big step to do it with a major, recent release.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jayge_
AlwaysCrashing said:
"I think this is kinda true actually. There's no proof, but once people pirate a game, perhaps an older rom or something, and break that barrier, it's not such a big step to do it with a major, recent release.
"
It's still completely unprovable, and as such it is a completely invalid point of reasoning.
Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Giantkitty
AlwaysCrashing said:
"Jayge said:

brukaoru said:
Hogwash. Prove it.
"
I think this is kinda true actually. There's no proof, but once people pirate a game, perhaps an older rom or something, and break that barrier, it's not such a big step to do it with a major, recent release.
"
See: Slippery Slope Fallacy
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LiquidPrince
brukaoru said:
"It's true that piracy and buying used games both have the same consequence for the developer (speaking of games that are still in circulation). They aren't getting that money. The difference is that buying used items is not illegal and piracy is.

I think a big problem I have is that most people who do pirate older games that are not obtainable by any other means tend to start pirating games that are currently in circulation, which is in fact, "robbing" the developer.

There are several older games (PC at least) that have been declared as freeware by developers, and I think it would be good if companies announced their older titles as freeware as well, IF they don't plan on re-releasing the title again."

But that is an assumption. You can't simply say, "oh because they pirated this game, they are going to pirate more." For example the only game I've ever pirated was Earth Worm Jim, simply because I couldn't find it anywhere else, and no longer have a SNES or Genesis. Pirating that game didn't suddenly give me a taste of some forbidden fruit and make me want to pirate more. It all depends on the individual. If the person is willing to pirate a game from this generation, then he is willing to pirate anything, but not all people are out to pirate all games.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By azteris
AlwaysCrashing said:
"But what about SNES games that would cost you over $100 to buy out of rarity, of which none goes to publishers, as well as the inconvenience of keeping an old system connected? Or hard to find rare PC titles from yesteryear, such as lucasarts adventures? "
brukaoru said:
"The only understanding I can see from pirating would be if you live in a country that will never see some games or the pricing is ridiculous because publishers do not support the country. The developers wouldn't be getting money from these people anyway. Even so, it's still wrong, in my opinion. You have to live without some things you want, so why can't you live without a game?"
Maybe you should read more instead of looking down on everyone else.
Voldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Voldy

When is it ok? When I can't find the game I want. Nah.. piracy is never really OK.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gameboi
roushimsx said:
"Most people are too morally bankrupt to be able to distinguish between when it's "ok" and when it's "not ok", even if there's some sort of standard in place."

True, except that I'll take it one step further -- they don't care, which makes it even worse.
AlwaysCrashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AlwaysCrashing
Giantkitty said:
"AlwaysCrashing said:
"Jayge said:

brukaoru said:
Hogwash. Prove it.
"
"
See: Slippery Slope Fallacy"
It is a fallacy, and irrelevant anyway, because most people probably start off pirating major releases. Otherwise Super Mario Bros 3 would have been downloaded more last year than Spore.
But to say people who are introduced to a method of piracy wouldn't stop short of some imaginary ethic line, is obviously not that big a fallacy. Just look at music.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
AlwaysCrashing said:
"Jayge said:

brukaoru said:
Hogwash. Prove it.
"
"

My first pirating was copying some cd roms on the computer.  then music, then a game download, then roms
dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By dsplayer1010

Never

SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SpikeDelight

Never. If you do it you should be aware that you are doing wrong. It really annoys me when people act like they're being righteous for pirating something (Spore), although your intentions are more admirable. Let's put it this way, I wouldn't blame you for downloading an old NES game.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By brukaoru
Jayge said:
"How is pirating those games illegal if the copyright holders do not exist anymore? If the rights to the properties were not bought out by another company, it's impossible to prosecute someone for pirating an older game."
There's no "one answer fits all here," it really depends on when the game was released, the publisher and the developer licensing. Forgive me for not knowing copyright laws exactly, I am not sure how long copyrights hold out for.

Azteris
said:
"Maybe you should read more instead of looking down on everyone else."
Would you care to elaborate? Perhaps point me to some of these readings? As far as "looking down" on people, I don't think I really am, as for old games being pirated is concerned. The action of pirating games that are in current circulation is something I don't like, of course... I think every person does something that shouldn't be done (not just piracy), we all make mistakes and we all do things we should not do.  I don't agree with the act of pirating games, but I don't necessarily dislike the people who do. I have a few friends that pirate games.

LiquidPrince said:
"But that is an assumption. You can't simply say, "oh because they pirated this game, they are going to pirate more." For example the only game I've ever pirated was Earth Worm Jim, simply because I couldn't find it anywhere else, and no longer have a SNES or Genesis. Pirating that game didn't suddenly give me a taste of some forbidden fruit and make me want to pirate more. It all depends on the individual. If the person is willing to pirate a game from this generation, then he is willing to pirate anything, but not all people are out to pirate all games."
Yes, it is an assumption, and I did not say every single person who pirates old games will pirate current generation games, but I believe many people do. Again, I don't really have any evidence, it's just what I think.
tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#32  Edited By tearhead

Well, when I was younger I pirated A LOT of games, mostly for the SNES, but GB, GBC, GBA, PC... you name it.  I mostly did this because I'm from a country where videogames are scarce and overpriced, and I really didn't have that kind of money.  I for one am grateful for pirated games because without them I probably woulden't have been the videogame enthusiest I am today, plus it got me a chance to play some of the gratest games: Super Mario RPG, The Sims, Harvest Moon, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Mario Kart, and the list goes on and on and on.

I played a pirated copy of The Sims and a summer I went to visit family in America, I bought The Sims,  The Sims: Livin' Large and The Sims:  Hot Date; even now I'm planning to buy The Sims 3, all because of that one pirated game I played.  SMRPG led me to buy Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones led me to buy the title for GC and Wii, I bought two Harvest Moon games, Advance Wars for DS and Mario Kart for bothe the GBA and the DS.  This is just the tip of the iceberg, as most of the franchises I am invested in stem from a pirated copy I tried out.

Now that I'm older (and now reside in the U.S), I don't really play pirated games anymore, I just buy them.  The only reason I would pirate a game today is because I am sceptical, but interested in a game.  For instance, I was really interested in Spore but not sure if it was "for me", so I downloaded a pirated copy to see if I should buy it.  As it turns out, I played the game off and on for about a week (got to the Civilization stage) and was done with it, if I had bought that, I would have been out $50. 

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jayge_
brukaoru said:
"There's no "one answer fits all here," it really depends on when the game was released, the publisher and the developer licensing. Forgive me for not knowing copyright laws exactly, I am not sure how long copyrights hold out for."
That was a rhetorical question. I answered it myself in the subsequent sentence.
Edgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Edgar

Honestly with many older console games, N64 or previous consoles, it's pretty much impossible for you to buy the game in a way that the proceeds would go to the developer or creator or anyone at all affiliated with the game. And in the end if the money isn't going to them and the price exceeds that of current gen games, then I don't see that big of a problem.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By zityz

As for Snes games, hope and prey they're released for the VC.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36  Edited By metal_mills

When you can't buy it anymore. Some games can't be found anywhere, not even Ebay(and even then it's no money for the developers).

You can search and search for some older games but they weren't sold ANYWHERE. It's either pirate or don't play it again.

Also if your disc is damaged. If you bought it and want to install it again, I see no reason to buy it again.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By pause422

It comes down to this, you either consider pirating games in general wrong, as in you yourself won't do it, or you have done it/do do it, its not us against them or anything. As said above, there are plenty reasons when pirating a game isn't even illegal when you can't get it elsewhere, but the people going down some kind of moral high road are just ridiculous. Its pirating a game, not commiting murder, get the hell over it. You don't have to do it yourself at all, or agree with it.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By Meowayne
brukaoru said:
"Never."
What if:

1.  I pirate a game to protest against being screwed over by developer and/or publisher. Especially in cases of heavy censorship in my country
2. There is no legal way for me to buy the game, because there's no national release, for example.
3. I pirate a game, then like it so much that I convince several other people to buy a legit copy, providing the developer and publisher with double and triple sales where they would otherwise not have received even one.

Is piracy still wrong, then?

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By RHCPfan24

I don't ever pirate things. If I don't want to pay for something, I will ask it from a friend, or, for music, get a CD from the library and rip it. I actually asked the librarian about that and they said that it is fine. I hope so because I have done it a lot.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By metal_mills

Borrowing a CD and ripping it is just as bad as pirating.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#41  Edited By giyanks22

I don't mind people who illegally download games, just for themselves, but it is very wrong to sell them for profit.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bjorno

When I do it.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43  Edited By granderojo

It is always illegal, but it is up to you to decide in your own heart if it is wrong.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Bulldog19892

I think it's funny that people try to justify piracy. Really, you're doing it for the free shit, don't try to morally justify it.

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By teptom

It is never o.k. to be a pirate

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By jakob187

Never...

...unless it's Spore.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jayge_
Bulldog19892 said:
"I think it's funny that people try to justify piracy. Really, you're doing it for the free shit, don't try to morally justify it."
I think it's funny that people are stupid enough to take such a blunt approach to delicate issues. Really, if you're posting thinking you know better than anyone trying to justify a form of piracy, think again.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b04117c9080d
deactivated-5b04117c9080d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's never ok ffs

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By pause422

People are stupid, what are ya gonna do. Everyone that has such a hard negative response like that knows even less than everyone else here, and is totally not fit to even try to act like they have a real statement on this topic, or are right for that matter.

tmontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By tmontana1004

Pirating is okay for old games imo. And games published by EA =D