Platformers (An Lost Art)?

Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jordan23

I'm just curious what have happen to the platormer genre. There seem to be less platformers coming to the market nowadays, the only company that seem to care somewhat is Nintendo. The last platformer that I've played was Super Mario Galaxy (Grade A quality gaming).

So, do you guys think platformers are becoming an lost art?

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Clean

Haha Hold your horses boy. Its on a break its not becoming like ancient or something

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DarkLegend

Believe or not, platformers games still are good. Ex Mario

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By tec3297

Platformers are still great, but they are just aimed at a younger audience.

dymach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dymach

I think it's a welcome break too, there was a point where there were just way too many platformers and each was pretty much exactly the same (in varying quality, and not unlike fps games right now).

One of the reasons that PSN, XBL, and WWare excite me are the possibilities of quality "old-school" platform games (and it seems there are quite a few on the horizon).  And I have to say, I'm excited and intrigued by the new Banjo, that was definitely a series that required a reboot (in my opinion).

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, sucks. At least I still have J&D, R&C, and now LBP!

But yeah there are less now. :(

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Malakhii

I'm looking forward to the new banjo coming later this year.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FengShuiGod

I hope the new Banjo breathes fresh life into the genre.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By samcotts
Jordan23 said:
"I'm just curious what have happen to the platormer genre. There seem to be less platformers coming to the market nowadays, the only company that seem to care somewhat is Nintendo. The last platformer that I've played was Super Mario Galaxy (Grade A quality gaming).

"
That's exactly why I want LittleBigPlanet so badly (and by your icon, you think alike). Think about all the levels we can create, or recreate old classics. Countless hours of fun platforming to be had hopefully.

If LittleBigPlanet lives up to the hype, it's the only platformer I'll need this generation. Not saying it'll be the only one I buy, but you know what I mean.
nevelator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nevelator

A really good platformer is needed.  As mentioned above BKN&B and LBP are steps in the right direction.  Will be interesting to see how thier specific tweaks go down when released.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Warfare

I'd like to see more 2D platformers.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Alex_V

Bionic Commando Rearmed - just about to come out. New Wario game coming as well. You could say that Mirror's Edge is an attempt at a first-person platform game - will have to see. A lot more games are hybrids though these days - they tend to involve more than just jumping from one place to the next.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ThomasP

They are still creeping around in the cracks. Galaxy is one of my top favorite games of all time.

Batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Batman

Assassin's Creed was pretty platformy and there is the new Banjo-Kazooie, Little Big Planet, and the new Prince of Persia.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By I_smell

They're definately still about, they just look different than they used to.

Like Prince of Persia or Little Big Planet you wouldn't immeadiately call a platformer, but they are.

Nobility

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nobility

Takes a long time to make a great quality platformer and that's what Nintendo is doing.  Takes awhile but when they release them, people automatically believe it to be AAA quality.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Platformers are going to be totally re-invented with games like Mirror's Edge and LBP. Hopefully the genre moves forward instead of dying down. Remember back in the day when platformers were like the main genre? What happened? I blame FPS games. :(

Mattzz10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Mattzz10
Alex_V said:
"Bionic Commando Rearmed - just about to come out. New Wario game coming as well. You could say that Mirror's Edge is an attempt at a first-person platform game - will have to see. A lot more games are hybrids though these days - they tend to involve more than just jumping from one place to the next.
"
Kinda like what Uncharted did, you can classify it as a FPS, but it did have some platforming elements.
somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By somesthetic

Grammar is the the true lost art.

you never use "an" before a consonant.

now someone yell at me about how this isn't english class so it's okay to sound like an idiot.

dietz057

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dietz057

To be honest, the announcement of the two old Banjo games coming to xbla excites me much more than the new game.  I hope that the new game will be great, but I unfortunately have relatively low expectations.  I don't think I care if the platformer is "reinvented," but I would love another round of traditional games.  I don't know about anyone else, but I thought new super mario bros was one of the best experiences on the DS.  Furthermore, I think that Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros 3 are two of the best games on virtual console.  I hope the kirby remake for DS is decent and I'm still holding out for some 2D mario action this Christmas.  Unfortunately the Nintendo Press conference has informed me to not hold my breath.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

somesthetic said:
"Grammar is the the true lost art.

now someone yell at me about how this isn't english class so it's okay to sound like an idiot.
"

Don't you have a big list to go through? You know, correcting people and whatnot, there must be thousands! v_v

Seriously, I usually bitch at people for grammar mistakes, but this is just a small type, give me a break. Does it make you feel good correcting other people?

ANYWAYS, I think platformers are slowly merging with the action/shooter genres, meaning its not a genre anymore, but more of a side genre..
vaultboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By vaultboy

Mirror's Edge has the potential to be a good platformer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VaultBoy said:
"Mirror's Edge has the potential to be a good platformer.
"

Agreed. What other platformer is in first person? Exactly.
jakeroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jakeroc

Blast, somebody beat me to the punch. Mirror's Edge looks like it's going to give the genre a shot of revitalization.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gunraidan
somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By somesthetic
Sentry said:
"somesthetic said:

"

Don't you have a big list to go through? You know, correcting people and whatnot, there must be thousands! v_v

Seriously, I usually bitch at people for grammar mistakes, but this is just a small type, give me a break. Does it make you feel good correcting other people?

ANYWAYS, I think platformers are slowly merging with the action/shooter genres, meaning its not a genre anymore, but more of a side genre..
"
I'm not santa clause.

The difference between "a" and "an" is not insignificant, it effects the way a sentence reads, rendering it entirely unpleasant. Proper capitalization and apostrophes are insignificant for the most part (differentiating well and we'll seems important), but when it makes something less clear and less readable, it is worth mentioning.
kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#27  Edited By kariyanine
Jordan23 said:
"I'm just curious what have happen to the platormer genre. There seem to be less platformers coming to the market nowadays, the only company that seem to care somewhat is Nintendo. The last platformer that I've played was Super Mario Galaxy (Grade A quality gaming).

"

I would argue that Insomniac cares more about the genre than Nintendo does.  They have consistently released Ratchet & Clank (grade A quality gaming) games over the last six years.  Nintendo throws us a bone every once in a while with a SMG or a New SMB but then they go dark for three to five years. 

Also I find that genres have now become more mixed.  A game like Uncharted has many platforming aspects but mixes them with shooter aspects (ala Tomb Raider).
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Willy105

No. Kids now want to play them shooting games, they don't want to play a game where you jump anymore.

That's whats wrong with the younger generation today.

You can have edge of your seat action WITHOUT guns you know.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus christ...  ffs bro, he put an 'n' after the a, could be a typo, WHO CARES, not a big deal to be bitching about, its not like he's using leet talk or anything..

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Willy105
Gunraidan said:
"Warioland Wii?
"
Which is made by Nintendo. The topic creator meant others.
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31  Edited By Cube

For me, platforming became stale after Crash Bandicoot Warped. Which is sad because platforming is my favorite genre, followed by Adventure.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

LBP, Mirrors Edge, and Banjo will hopefully remedy this.

somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By somesthetic
Sentry said:
"Jesus christ...  ffs bro, he put an 'n' after the a, could be a typo, WHO CARES, not a big deal to be bitching about, its not like he's using leet talk or anything..
"
You need to calm down and learn how to let other people take constructive criticism.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

somesthetic said:
"Sentry said:
"Jesus christ...  ffs bro, he put an 'n' after the a, could be a typo, WHO CARES, not a big deal to be bitching about, its not like he's using leet talk or anything..
"
You need to calm down and learn how to let other people take constructive criticism.
"

It's one thing to post constructive criticism, but thats not what you are doing, you're basically bitching about it and not staying on topic. Just drop it because you are getting the thread off topic, go correct some more people, I am sure you have a lot of others to get to.
somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By somesthetic

you're awfully indignant for someone I wasn't talking to to begin with.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saying bro, it's really annoying to see someone like you step into a thread and not only make an off-topic post, but really just a know-it-all post, that really comes off as trolling/hateful.

somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By somesthetic

I have absolutely no idea how you think those words can apply to me.

Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jordan23

Little Big Planet will take platforming to an whole new level. I just hope that gamers take a keen to LBP and give it the love that it look like it's going to deserve (big sales mean more upcoming sequels).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jordan23 said:
"Little Big Planet will take platforming to an whole new level. I just hope that gamers take a keen to LBP and give it the love that it look like it's going to deserve (big sales mean more upcoming sequels).
"

Big time, I think people will especially since Sony is going to be backing up the game heavily (ie marketing). And really, how long do you think it will take for a sequel? Lol, I don't think it needs a sequel anytime soon really, patches ftw.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

on the verge of these two games you post this topic? 

Either way, Ninty and Rare will probably always continue to make platformers.  Rare was basically non existant last gen and really are just starting to pick up steam again.  They'll start it again.

Avatar image for luckywanderdude
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

Yes. 2D platformers exist now only in the realm of indie gaming as far as quality ones.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By s10129107
somesthetic said:

"
I totally agree, haha.  An Lost art, hahaha
BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BigBoss1911

I havent played a satisfying platformer since Jak 2.

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Blu_Magic

I love platformers but I haven't played one in awhile, which is why I'm really hyped for Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.

tancred8120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By tancred8120

Yeah.. platformers = dieing. Except for mario. He will live on forever