Please actually read reviews before criticizing them.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

Edited By insanejedi

It's a ridiculous concept, but one that many people seem to ignore. As a wanna-be professional reviewer I find it revolting that people say certain reviews as "bad" or even "disagreeable" when in fact, all they look at is the score and a few quick summary points and then go on to call it "poorly written".

All I have to say is STOP TALKING. Stop saying these things. It's not that you don't agree with the review, you don't agree with the score, that's it! Stop paying attention to some numerical value and judge the credibility and professionalism off that reviewer just by what he gave the game. There are reviews that have scores that you don't agree with but can have points you do, and a review is not poorly written or great by the score it is received. That kind of response to a review is what makes reviewers think about pulling scores all together, and forcing people to read the text in order for them to understand what they are saying about the game.

Just stop... just stop... Read reviews please before criticizing them. Don't just look at the Good, the Bad, and the score to criticize a review, it's much more than that. Please go to English class and see how your essays are graded, because they are sure as hell not judged by how you judge other peoples reviews.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By insanejedi

It's a ridiculous concept, but one that many people seem to ignore. As a wanna-be professional reviewer I find it revolting that people say certain reviews as "bad" or even "disagreeable" when in fact, all they look at is the score and a few quick summary points and then go on to call it "poorly written".

All I have to say is STOP TALKING. Stop saying these things. It's not that you don't agree with the review, you don't agree with the score, that's it! Stop paying attention to some numerical value and judge the credibility and professionalism off that reviewer just by what he gave the game. There are reviews that have scores that you don't agree with but can have points you do, and a review is not poorly written or great by the score it is received. That kind of response to a review is what makes reviewers think about pulling scores all together, and forcing people to read the text in order for them to understand what they are saying about the game.

Just stop... just stop... Read reviews please before criticizing them. Don't just look at the Good, the Bad, and the score to criticize a review, it's much more than that. Please go to English class and see how your essays are graded, because they are sure as hell not judged by how you judge other peoples reviews.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

You might want to cite some examples, if you don't want to sound like some loony on an alleyway soapbox.

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By tec3297

There is no way to change these people, these people are just lazy, and want a score to look at only and not a full review.  But you should write for the ones that actually read the reviews.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By insanejedi
Jayge said:
"You might want to cite some examples, if you don't want to sound like some loony on an alleyway soapbox."
Go to the system wars fourms on gamespot, or if they saved the comments the Mario Kart review on here.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew
Jayge said:
"You might want to cite some examples, if you don't want to sound like some loony on an alleyway soapbox."
Probably just a general commentary on the way people act on the Internet. When I write blogs, I don't usually target them to one specific site.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By brukaoru

Exactly why I wish scores were done away with. Still, even without the scores, these people would call it "bad writing" even if it was a good write-up just because they didn't agree with the review. Some people on the internet have a hard time grasping the concept of different opinions than their own, and respecting other's thoughts and feelings.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#7  Edited By LordAndrew

But there are a fair number of people who criticize the actual content of the review, and they should be free to do that as long as it doesn't devolve into flaming and trolling.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By brukaoru
LordAndrew said:
"But there are a fair number of people who criticize the actual content of the review, and they should be free to do that as long as it doesn't devolve into flaming and trolling."
Oh yeah, I'm not denying that. Nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree in a respectful manner. However, when it comes to downright insults, that's just not right. Obviously, if a review is written poorly, the feedback should critique the writing as well.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187

I didn't read your blog, yet I'm going to criticize you...strictly to go against your blog title.  =  P

Honestly, though, people should always be reading reviews.  Ratings are simply there for eye candy.
yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By yukoasho

Unfortunately, people don't like reading.  I don't know why, but the internet has had the odd effect of making people lazy as hell.  Part of it is that many reviews are very dry reads and not entertaining in and of themselves, but the other part is that the scores we see have come to exist more for the affirmation of fanboys than anything else.  As often as I roll my eyes at Yahtzee, he said something very profound when confronting his detractors over his Smash Brothers review.  Reviews are all opinions, and if you're honestly having fun with a game, you shouldn't let them get to you.  That is, of course, unless you have doubts...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince

I thought having knowledge on the subject your are discussing would be common sense...

KingGeorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KingGeorge

Come on people, do your damn research before jumping-the-gun and making poor decisions... What's wrong with you?