PSA - PC Gamepass app finally has basic functionality

stealydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Select a game you have installed and click the three-dots button (is there an official name for this icon?) and select 'Manage'

You can now do the following basic stuff:

• View the folder for the game and look at/edit all the files, just like a real PC game. This was my main criticism of the service on PC since I like to tinker around and add mods, edit ini files, etc. I also use an external frame limiter and I need to be able point that at the game's exe in order to avoid having to change the global frame limit for every game. (You can move any game you installed before this feature was added to a specific location of your choosing in order to enjoy this functionality).
  • Create a desktop shortcut
  • Move the install folder to a different drive
  • Verify and repair the installation, in case you boned it up somehow

I just noticed this now and figured I would put this out there in case anyone else was as annoyed as I was by the lack of these kinds of features.

I'm still not sure I like what this kind of delivery service means for games as a whole down the road, but now that these kinds of barriers have been removed it seems silly not to give it shot.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might be wrong here but I'm fairly sure all of this was possible if you installed the game via the Win10 store instead of the PC App. If I am wrong, it's about time they added this.

goosemunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Create a desktop shortcut" was in there for as long as I can remember. I used it pretty often, primarily because every time a game was patched, the shortcut on the desktop no longer worked and you had to delete it and recreate it (It's very annoying. I don't know if they fixed that or not)

I don't normally use desktop shortcuts, but I found that it's the only reliable way to add Gamepass app to Nvidia's Gamestream if I want to play remotely (through Steam Link etc).

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

How does the folder "feature" work now? Is it just like Steam or is it still protected? I assume it's out of the WindowsApps directory now.

I use Gamepass on PC and it's great when it works, which for me has been 90% of the time, but the locking off of the files was the biggest complaint I had.

stealydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: Everything now installs to a normal-ass directory! It works more like Epic store games which go in exactly the folder you specify (e.g. E:\Games). Nothing is protected (and everything is permitted).

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6 chaser324  Moderator

Now I can finally run WinDirStat on my game drives and see real results without a chunk of the drive being completely invisible.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

@stealydan: Yay! I have broken my windows install before changing the file permissions on WinApps.