Discuss

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By fr0br0

Nah, I'm cool with what I have. I mean, we have to have at least ONE exclusive title this gen...

I'm PS3 btw.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By pause422

god can I smell the flamebait this post is gonna get fast...

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By StaticFalconar
Fr0Br0 said:
"Nah, I'm cool with what I have. I mean, we have to have at least ONE exclusive title this gen...

I'm PS3 btw."
Yeah same here, there would just be too much outcry and na na told ya so from too many people if that happened. I mean it would be a pretty fair trade but not really worth it. I rather have both studios make a new game then spend their resources on a port.
Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

ok would you guys trade r2 for gears 2?

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422

I'm looking more forward to R2 because I actually really liked the story of Resistance(the mp was ..eh) but thats mainly it..gears isn't even on my radar, I think Fallout3/LBP/Farcry 2 - one of those will be the GOTY for me :)

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Psynapse

I don't mind PS3 getting Gow2 but i don't want MGS4... No offence guys, but I dont want to sit through ungodly amounts of cut scenes...

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By kush

I would love to trade Solid_SnakeXx for Haze...revive Haze and put you to sleep.

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx
Kush said:
"I would love to trade Solid_SnakeXx for Haze...revive Haze and put you to sleep."
Why dont you love me man :(
WHY!?
deadpoool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deadpoool

i have a ps3.....it blows.

sony have taken the fun out of gaming.

here is my pre-order list for autumn/winter 2008:

xbox360- PURE (Bought)
xbox360- Fallout 3
xbox360- COD5
xbox360- GOW2
xbox360-FABLE 2
xbox360- Pro Evoloution Soccer 2009
xbox360- Monopoly (What can I say, I love my board games...and online will be great :-p)
xbox360- Ghostbusters
ps3-Little Big Planet

hmmmm.....looks like microsoft will be having a lot of drinks on me come christmas time, (and a whole bunch of other people)....sony are gonna be crying into their solid snake duvet cover by the looks of it. I heard Jeff say on last weeks bombcast something to the effect that what platfform you choose depends on what gamerscore/trophies you are invested in, i don't buy that.....xbox live pisses all over psn....for several reasons, but not least because people can actually CONVERSE! nobody talks on psn, you may as well be playing ai. But simply, xbox is just a better platform...period.

edit: one good thing about the ps3 is movie streaming from your pc, thats what function my ps3 provides, because randomly media center syncing is absoloute gash on the 360, hopefully that'll be fixed when the update arrives, then i can use my big fat sony machine for its intended purpose....er .....making toast?

edit2: i forgot to answer the question. my answer is no. lmao

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By guiseppe

I'm not a fan of either, although I prefer the 360. Since I haven't played a single MGS game I don't know what I'm missing and from what I've seen it doesn't seem to be something I would be in to. So things could stay as they are for me, and in either case I have both a PS3 and a 360 so if I wanted to, I could just get MGS4.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kush

And to answer this question...No, I would not trade those two games. Gears 2 for LBP? Yes. Gears 2 for MGS4? No. Though I am not the biggest fan of MGS4.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fr0br0
deadpoool said:
"i have a ps3.....it blows.

sony have taken the fun out of gaming.

here is my pre-order list for autumn/winter 2008:

xbox360- PURE (Bought)
xbox360- COD5
xbox360- GOW2
xbox360-FABLE 2
xbox360- Pro Evoloution Soccer 2009
xbox360- Monopoly (What can I say, I love my board games...and online will be great :-p)
xbox360- Ghostbusters
ps3-Little Big Planet

hmmmm.....looks like microsoft will be having a lot of drinks on me come christmas time, (and a whole bunch of other people)....sony are gonna be crying into their solid snake duvet cover by the looks of it. I heard Jeff say on last weeks bombcast something to the effect that what platfform you choose depends on what gamerscore/trophies you are invested in, i don't buy that.....xbox live pisses all over psn....for several reasons, but not least because people can actually CONVERSE! nobody talks on psn, you may as well be playing ai. But simply, xbox is just a better platform...period.
"
You done seen and what you did now Solid_SnakeXx? You gave birth to this alt who loves to stir up shit-storms with his BS
deadpoool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deadpoool

Fr0Br0
said: You done seen and what you did now Solid_SnakeXx? You gave birth to this alt who loves to stir up shit-storms with his BS

lol, sorry, i'm usually playing games right about now, but with xbox live down, ive lost the will to live, thought id come and say hi to everyone on these boards, shit stirring is pretty funny though, really.
Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Demyx

Gotta say no.
Gotta be some exclusives out there.

Max_Chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Max_Chill

Why would i trade Gears of war for a montage of 40 min long Shitty cutscenes?

no. If God of war 3 or LBP is good, maybe. other than that, FUCK NO
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I'm not too particularly fond of Gears and I never really liked any MGS game. \
I'd trade gears 2 for lbp

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Demilich

I'm actually kinda shocked at how many people here prefer Gears over MGS... More lost faith in this generation. Still, it's comforting to know that most of you are kids who weren't playing games early enough to appreciate the action diversion.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fr0br0
Demilich said:
"I'm actually kinda shocked at how many people here prefer Gears over MGS... More lost faith in this generation. Still, it's comforting to know that most of you are kids who weren't playing games early enough to appreciate the action diversion."
It's weird. What happened to all of the people who LOVED MGS1 when it first came out. I know there were a ton of people who did. I guess those people just didn't carry over into the next generations and lost interest in games...
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Demilich

We're all that's left.

You know what's funny (and sad) when you think about it. We grew up with Metal Gear, Metroid, Goldeneye and Zelda. This generation is going to grow up with Halo, Gears of War, World of Warcraft and Call of Duty.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I'd probably take MGS4, even if I think the MGS series is getting somewhat taxing. GeoW2 seems a lotta the same.

Demilich said:
"We're all that's left.

You know what's funny (and sad) when you think about it. We grew up with Metal Gear, Metroid, Goldeneye and Zelda. This generation is going to grow up with Halo, Gears of War, World of Warcraft and Call of Duty."
I know what you mean. Modern games don't give off the same radiance of the older ones. It's just not as interesting.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Kazona

Would I completely give up Gears 2 for MGS 4? Nope. But I sure wouldn't mind the game being ported to the PS3, regardless of whether or not I'd get to play MGS 4 in return.

Hamburgler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hamburgler

Us nintendo fanboys want some games.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Demilich
Levio91 said:
"Demilich said:
"I'm actually kinda shocked at how many people here prefer Gears over MGS... More lost faith in this generation. Still, it's comforting to know that most of you are kids who weren't playing games early enough to appreciate the action diversion."
Gears and mgs4 have cover systems both are third person camera both have a great story.
The only difference is ones got 40 minute long cutscenes."
Beyond stupid. Beyond comprehension.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kush
Demilich said:
I don't prefer Gears over MGS, but I wouldn't trade Gears 2 over MGS4 because I was extremely disappointed with MGS4. I felt that the game just went downhill after Act 2 and the end was a disaster. I also don't think having a game you watch more than you play is the best way to tell a story anymore. And just for the record I loved MGS1 (Favorite PS1 game) and I loved MGS2/3, but MGS4 just wasn't the amazing game I was expecting it to be.
yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By yellownumber5
pause422 said:
"I'm looking more forward to R2 because I actually really liked the story of Resistance(the mp was ..eh) but thats mainly it..gears isn't even on my radar, I think Fallout3/LBP/Farcry 2 - one of those will be the GOTY for me :)"
I played Gears 1 and liked it, but not compared to Resistance's story.  Both have awesome gameplay moments, but I found Gears to be, "wait that's it, we beat it already?".  I only have a PS3 but a good friend has a 360, so we still can balance the good and bad between the two systems.  I'm looking forward to Gears 2, it will be fun as hell, but I wasn't as enamored with Gears 1 as most people were.  Both are good games, and I think Gears 2 will really open up that universe much better than the first one did.  Still since the first Resistance has already set up its universe I already know I am getting into a really deep story.  As far as any Sci-Fi epic, Gears has yet to hook me.

Anyway between Gears and MGS they are nearly two completely different things.  Get both if you can. Never sell a classic for a new game.  Put an extra day in at your work and buy that new game instead of trading the old one in.
Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lemegeton
Demilich said:
"Levio91 said:
"Demilich said:
Gears and mgs4 have cover systems both are third person camera both have a great story.
The only difference is ones got 40 minute long cutscenes."
Beyond stupid. Beyond comprehension."
seconded. for starters one of the main problems with Gears 1 was its total lack of a cohesive story tying everything together
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Demilich
Kush said:
"Demilich said:
I don't prefer Gears over MGS, but I wouldn't trade Gears 2 over MGS4 because I was extremely disappointed with MGS4. I felt that the game just went downhill after Act 2 and the end was a disaster. I also don't think having a game you watch more than you play is the best way to tell a story anymore. And just for the record I loved MGS1 (Favorite PS1 game) and I loved MGS2/3, but MGS4 just wasn't the amazing game I was expecting it to be."
Someone who likes MGS2 but not 4... Weird, but OK I guess. I think 3 is the worst, but in no way even close to mediocrity. Every MGS game is a great game. Also I have drawn you this chart displaying why you are somewhat right (about the downhill spiral after Act 2).

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By yellownumber5

Yeay MS paint.  Shit that's all I have to draw things with too.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By get2sammyb
Demilich said:
"We're all that's left.

You know what's funny (and sad) when you think about it. We grew up with Metal Gear, Metroid, Goldeneye and Zelda. This generation is going to grow up with Halo, Gears of War, World of Warcraft and Call of Duty."
Hey man you're not all that's left entirely. I grew up with Metal Gear, Metroid, Goldeneye and Zelda. And those times were amazing. Well much better than "every game has to be an FPS set in space with dudes in big suits" anyway. Don't get me wrong I like FPS' but they do get tiresome. I miss platform games - the closest I've come to a good platform game in a long time was Ratchet & Clank: TOD if you fail to mention the absolutely breathtaking but so under rated because "lol it's on the Wii" Super Mario Galaxy. That game was absolutely unbelievable and I think it proved that while Nintendo might have shifted a bit towards pleasing casual audiences they are STILL the masters of level design.

Sadly everyone likes to under rate Nintendo these days because it's "cool". The main reason it's cool to hate on Nintendo is because they are no longer the underdog. Whatever.

I remember the first Metal Gear Solid coming out but never tried it - the first Metal Gear Solid I played was number 2. I just want to say though that I know a lot of people don't get on with MGS4 but I found it to be one of the most atmospheric games I'd played in a long time. Sure there is a considerable lack of actual game in there but the story telling and the emotion of the game totally gripped me from start to finish. It's incredible.

If you haven't played it don't mock the cut-scenes because they're only tiresome to the impatient. I totally get why it's not peoples cup of tea but if you want to invest more into a game than shallow story telling and generic "alien" blasting (*cough* Halo *cough*) then you can only appreciate MGS4. Besides, the emotions MGS4 stirred (first game to make me cry) will go down as innovation in telling story through a game. Shenmue innovated it, MGS innovated it, MGS4 has taken it further and... well in my opinion Heavy Rain might be the one to perfect it.

EDIT: Sadly the reason the "XBOX Live Generation" (I love XBOX Live by the way) would NEVER be captivated by a game like Heavy Rain or MGS4 or even Mario Galaxy is because most of them hop straight into their death matches before they even touch the single player mode. And a lot of them DON'T touch the single player mode. I know people who wrote GTA4 off as "shit" because they only bought it for online and didn't even touch the single player. In which case I could imagine they WOULD think it shit.

The single player is dying unless enough of us who still want to be immersed in a single player world cry out for it.

Heck I like the look of Resident Evil 5's co-op but even that I fear has been brought into the games development because of this "social gaming" phenomonem (sp?). Surely playing with others takes out any of the scare factor the Resident Evil series had left?

Next Jill Valentine will be put in a space shoot and sent into space to kill aliens. With online death match of course.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gizmo

Halo 3 Left 4 Dead Gears Of War 2 Alan Wake

Nah, I'm cool.
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Demilich
Gizmo said:
"Halo 3 Left 4 Dead Gears Of War 2 Alan Wake

Nah, I'm cool.
"
Shit, Multiplatform, Rehash, will Flop.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By get2sammyb
Demilich said:
"Gizmo said:

Nah, I'm cool.
"
Shit, Multiplatform, Rehash, will Flop."
While I readily agree with the Halo 3 statement you're other "claims disguised as fact" are totally false because you haven't even played the games yet.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Gizmo
Demilich said:
"Gizmo said:

Nah, I'm cool.
"
1. Halo 3 is the best multiplayer game I have played in many a moon.

2. Left 4 Dead ISNT coming out for PS3, which is the point of the thread.

3. Gears Of War 1 was awesome, this is more of the same.

4. Alan Wake, well I cant really say much there, but heres hoping it's awesome.

ALSO: Aliens Colonial Marines, new Halo DLC, which, funnily enough I happen to be alpha testing soon.

It's all about personal preference, you do not have to agree with my views, but acknowledge them.
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Demilich

If Halo is the best multiplayer game you've played in many moons I suggest you try some more games.

I have a PS3, not an Xbox. And I'm still getting the superior version of L4D. To even bring that game into petty console arguing is pointless, because it's a PC game.

More of the same is, in fact, not the same.

get2sammyb said:

"Demilich said:
"Gizmo said:

Nah, I'm cool.
"
While I readily agree with the Halo 3 statement you're other "claims disguised as fact" are totally false because you haven't even played the games yet."

L4D being multiplat is indeed a fact.

The other two are educated guesses, but we'll see in a few weeks won't we.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By get2sammyb

I actually think Alan Wake looks awesome (from what I know about it which isn't much) and I really wished it was coming to PS3 seeing as I don't own a 360.

As for Left 4 Dead - I thought it hadn't been announced for PS3 yet but even if it had, I'd presume it's lead development platform is the 360? Which is the bane of the PS3's life really - you only need to look at MGS4, Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank (even Wipeout HD) to see that factually the console is far, far, far more powerful than the 360.

It's sad that the multiplat's don't reflect that.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kush
Demilich said:
"Someone who likes MGS2 but not 4... Weird, but OK I guess. I think 3 is the worst, but in no way even close to mediocrity. Every MGS game is a great game. Also I have drawn you this chart displaying why you are somewhat right (about the downhill spiral after Act 2)."
I may have found the problem. I loved MGS3, it is quite possibly my favorite MGS game and I just really enjoyed everything about it. It was something new and different, which MGS4 was in the initial two acts, but fell short in the last 3. Looking at your chart I agree with the drop off at Act 3, but I don't feel the game redeemed itself at Act 4. I also found the bosses of MGS4 to be pathetically stupid and boring; they were not interesting at all and after you've seen one, you've seen them all. I'm not saying that MGS4 was horrible, but I don't believe it's the masterpiece it's said to be.
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Demilich
get2sammyb said:
"I actually think Alan Wake looks awesome (from what I know about it which isn't much) and I really wished it was coming to PS3 seeing as I don't own a 360.

As for Left 4 Dead - I thought it hadn't been announced for PS3 yet but even if it had, I'd presume it's lead development platform is the 360? Which is the bane of the PS3's life really - you only need to look at MGS4, Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank (even Wipeout HD) to see that factually the console is far, far, far more powerful than the 360.

It's sad that the multiplat's don't reflect that."
Uhhh, I was talking about PC. L4D is being made by Valve.. For PC. The 360 version is a port.
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Demilich
Kush said:
"Demilich said:
"Someone who likes MGS2 but not 4... Weird, but OK I guess. I think 3 is the worst, but in no way even close to mediocrity. Every MGS game is a great game. Also I have drawn you this chart displaying why you are somewhat right (about the downhill spiral after Act 2)."
I may have found the problem. I loved MGS3, it is quite possibly my favorite MGS game and I just really enjoyed everything about it. It was something new and different, which MGS4 was in the initial two acts, but fell short in the last 3. Looking at your chart I agree with the drop off at Act 3, but I don't feel the game redeemed itself at Act 4. I also found the bosses of MGS4 to be pathetically stupid and boring; they were not interesting at all and after you've seen one, you've seen them all. I'm not saying that MGS4 was horrible, but I don't believe it's the masterpiece it's said to be."
MGS games have never had unanimous opinions. I agree that the MGS4 bosses were sub-par, with the exception of Laughing Octopus and MG Ray, but I still think it was a great game.

IMO MGS2 trumps all.
yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By yellownumber5
Demilich said:
"Kush said:
"Demilich said:
I may have found the problem. I loved MGS3, it is quite possibly my favorite MGS game and I just really enjoyed everything about it. It was something new and different, which MGS4 was in the initial two acts, but fell short in the last 3. Looking at your chart I agree with the drop off at Act 3, but I don't feel the game redeemed itself at Act 4. I also found the bosses of MGS4 to be pathetically stupid and boring; they were not interesting at all and after you've seen one, you've seen them all. I'm not saying that MGS4 was horrible, but I don't believe it's the masterpiece it's said to be."
MGS games have never had unanimous opinions. I agree that the MGS4 bosses were sub-par, with the exception of Laughing Octopus and MG Ray, but I still think it was a great game.

IMO MGS2 trumps all."
MGS4 for me was great because of the extensive storyline and cutscenes,  but I kindof grew up on the nostalgia of MGS1, and therefore really like the gameplay of Portable Ops.  That game is really the true successor to MGS1.  MGS2 had many great moments, like the part where you see "Fission Mailed", and everytime I die in ANY game I say that instinctually.  There is something to MGSPO that really hits home the heart of  the MGS gameplay to me that was never quite replicated in MGS4 other than the threat ring.  MGSPO stil actually used the PS1 button layout of all things.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Gizmo

This is Gizmo, of the Star Trek Enterprise, signing off from this petty console war thread.

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By yellownumber5
Gizmo said:
"This is Gizmo, of the Star Trek Enterprise, signing off from this petty console war thread."
This is the first "console wars" like thread that I've seen in a while that looks valid.  No one is trashing here.  All I have seen in this thread is valid opinions from peoples experiences.  A lot of it seems to have turned into opinions just about Left for dead or Metal Gear.  Not so much console bashing as just comparing the qualities of games in retrospect.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Gizmo

I have no need for Demilich's opinion.

Max_Chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Max_Chill
Demilich said:
"Gizmo said:

Nah, I'm cool.
"
sorry some people enjoy actual GAMES, not 40 min long shitty cutscenes
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Gizmo
Max_Chill said:
"Demilich said:
"Gizmo said:

Nah, I'm cool.
"
sorry some people enjoy actual GAMES, not 40 min long shitty cutscenes"
Agreed.
Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lemegeton

40 min cutscenes are fine as long as they are entertaining. but there is a valid complaint to make against MGS4. after the first 3 acts too much of the gameplay involves big action set pieces and battles and the sneaking/stealth gameplay is pretty thin on the ground. so i love MGS4 but a lot of that has to do with how invested in the series i was from the previous games and needed to see how to story ends. But if you were to take away the story and Cutscenes i dont think its as good as MGS3

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By yellownumber5
Lemegeton said:
"40 min cutscenes are fine as long as they are entertaining. but there is a valid complaint to make against MGS4. after the first 3 acts too much of the gameplay involves big action set pieces and battles and the sneaking/stealth gameplay is pretty thin on the ground. so i love MGS4 but a lot of that has to do with how invested in the series i was from the previous games and needed to see how to story ends. But if you were to take away the story and Cutscenes i dont think its as good as MGS3
"
agreed.