Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Edited By Stealthmaster86

That one news. That one headline that can ruin your whole day. The game that you have been waiting on has been cancelled. It's not uncommon for a game to get cancelled. There are several reasons why. It's getting too expensive, internal problems, or just as simply as "it's not good enough" As of this writing it was revealed that The Last Guardian has been cancelled, and while Sony has said it is not cancelled, it did remind me of a few games that did had the misfortune to get cancelled. Here is a few that has been cancelled.

EIGHT DAYS

First announced when the PS3, it was about two cops looking for a huge mob boss across America. One cop had his daughter kidnapped, and the other wanted revenge from the killing of his partner. It was being developed by the same team that made The Getaway, SCE London Studios. The gameplay that was shown looked amazing for being an early demo. It was more of a tech demo of the PS3, but the story and what the gameplay would have looked like would have been awesome. While Sony said it has not been cancelled, it is simply 'on hold'.

FAITH AND A .45

Not much was known about this game when it got cancelled. All we know that it would have been a Gears Of War/Army of Two hybrid. It was about 2 outlaws in The Great Depression. I haven't seen any videos about it, but the setting would have been interesting to see.

SIX DAYS IN FALLUJAH

This was going to be about a true story about one of the bloodiest battles of the Iraq War. Konami was going to publish the game, but once the controversy about the game's setting and content came out Konami backed away leaving a finished game just sit in the desks of Atomic Games.

COMMAND & CONQUER: TIBERIUM

While Command & Conquer is primarily a RTS, EA tried to branch out the franchise with a first person shooter game with Tiberium. Major hype surrounded this game including a full blown special on GTTV and Cover art for Game Informer.

MEGA MAN LEGENDS 3

This was the one that hurt the most for fans of the series. And I don't blame them. Capcom even had this whole thing down for the promotion including a Demo/Prequel game. Sort of like how Dead Rising: Case Zero was. I would have been a big hit for Capcom, Suddenly, without warning the game was cancelled. Even with countless petitions for the game's return, it was not to be.

There is still hope

Those are the ones that I could think of. Would these games be good? Would these games have sucked? Who knows. All is not lost though. The first time I've heard of Alan Wake was actually in a episode of Cinematech on G4. I saw the trailer and was blown away by it. I loved the setting and story, so I was bummed out to find that it said Cancelled on the side. It turned out that the episode was showing cancelled games. Thankfully, the game came out 4 years later and it was worth the wait. I still hold Alan Wake as one of the absolute best games of this generation. Even as my second 360 broke and traded all my 360 games, I still kept the Alan Wake Collector's Edition.

Another game that almost got cancelled was actually a recently announced game; Metal Gear Rising. Metal Gear Rising was original called Metal Gear Solid: Rising, but internal difficulties to make the game work caused that version of the game to get cancelled. Instead of letting all that work go to waste. Kojima Productions turned to Platinum games, the developer that made Bayonetta, to make their own version of the game.

I hope that The Last Guardian didn't get cancelled. It would have been a blow to not only the PS3, but into gaming in general. Releasing this would have been the most refreshing game to come out in a long time.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#1  Edited By Stealthmaster86

That one news. That one headline that can ruin your whole day. The game that you have been waiting on has been cancelled. It's not uncommon for a game to get cancelled. There are several reasons why. It's getting too expensive, internal problems, or just as simply as "it's not good enough" As of this writing it was revealed that The Last Guardian has been cancelled, and while Sony has said it is not cancelled, it did remind me of a few games that did had the misfortune to get cancelled. Here is a few that has been cancelled.

EIGHT DAYS

First announced when the PS3, it was about two cops looking for a huge mob boss across America. One cop had his daughter kidnapped, and the other wanted revenge from the killing of his partner. It was being developed by the same team that made The Getaway, SCE London Studios. The gameplay that was shown looked amazing for being an early demo. It was more of a tech demo of the PS3, but the story and what the gameplay would have looked like would have been awesome. While Sony said it has not been cancelled, it is simply 'on hold'.

FAITH AND A .45

Not much was known about this game when it got cancelled. All we know that it would have been a Gears Of War/Army of Two hybrid. It was about 2 outlaws in The Great Depression. I haven't seen any videos about it, but the setting would have been interesting to see.

SIX DAYS IN FALLUJAH

This was going to be about a true story about one of the bloodiest battles of the Iraq War. Konami was going to publish the game, but once the controversy about the game's setting and content came out Konami backed away leaving a finished game just sit in the desks of Atomic Games.

COMMAND & CONQUER: TIBERIUM

While Command & Conquer is primarily a RTS, EA tried to branch out the franchise with a first person shooter game with Tiberium. Major hype surrounded this game including a full blown special on GTTV and Cover art for Game Informer.

MEGA MAN LEGENDS 3

This was the one that hurt the most for fans of the series. And I don't blame them. Capcom even had this whole thing down for the promotion including a Demo/Prequel game. Sort of like how Dead Rising: Case Zero was. I would have been a big hit for Capcom, Suddenly, without warning the game was cancelled. Even with countless petitions for the game's return, it was not to be.

There is still hope

Those are the ones that I could think of. Would these games be good? Would these games have sucked? Who knows. All is not lost though. The first time I've heard of Alan Wake was actually in a episode of Cinematech on G4. I saw the trailer and was blown away by it. I loved the setting and story, so I was bummed out to find that it said Cancelled on the side. It turned out that the episode was showing cancelled games. Thankfully, the game came out 4 years later and it was worth the wait. I still hold Alan Wake as one of the absolute best games of this generation. Even as my second 360 broke and traded all my 360 games, I still kept the Alan Wake Collector's Edition.

Another game that almost got cancelled was actually a recently announced game; Metal Gear Rising. Metal Gear Rising was original called Metal Gear Solid: Rising, but internal difficulties to make the game work caused that version of the game to get cancelled. Instead of letting all that work go to waste. Kojima Productions turned to Platinum games, the developer that made Bayonetta, to make their own version of the game.

I hope that The Last Guardian didn't get cancelled. It would have been a blow to not only the PS3, but into gaming in general. Releasing this would have been the most refreshing game to come out in a long time.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Van Buren, Stalker 2.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By EpicSteve

I bet anyone that was pissed off about Six Days in Fallujah didn't participate in the battle. If someone made a videogame about my battles, I think that would be neat.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mosespippy

I was really excited for Eight Days and Faith and a .45. Also LMNO and the english version of Valkyria Chronicles 3.

Edit: It really sucks that Eight Days and The Getaway were canned so the team could make EyePet (and eventually PSMove stuff). Imagine how the guys working at London Studio felt going into work one day and being told you don't make hardcore games anymore; you make kids camera games.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By willin

Oh man I remember when C&C; Tiberium was announced. God that was a long time ago...

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By ShaggE

I was thinking about the cancelled Oddworld games earlier, thankfully those still have a chance now that Oddworld Inhabitants is a thing again.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By jewunit

Unseen64 is the ideal place to look for this stuff. I really wanted to play Earthbound 64 on the Nintendo 64 DD, but neither of those things never materialized. Retrospectively, I think Crank the Weasel and Capcom Fighting All-Stars would have been cool to play.

Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Deathawk

Dinosaur Planet still hurts. I know, technically it morphed into Star Fox Adventures but still...

I actually really was curious to see what Twelve Tales Conker 64 would of been like too..

NuclearKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By NuclearKnight

Half Life 3... just kidding.

I thought Twisted Metal Black 2: Harbor City sounded awesome. Free roam Twisted Metal would have been the best thing ever. But they cancelled it due to the limitations of the PS2, I think.

Star Wars Battlefront 3 is another one that sadly ceased to be.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.giantbomb.com/cancelled-game/92-2310/ <-- Just go there...

Case closed!

EDIT:

As for a game I really wanted to see but never made the light of day, The Brutal Ballad of Fangus Klot, hell anything from Oddworld Inhabitants, they really need to come back with their wonderful universe.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By MariachiMacabre

The Brutal Ballad of Fangus Klot sounded fantastic. Hopefully they still release it eventually now that they exist again. Still waiting on that HD version of Stranger's Wrath too...

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TentPole
devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By devilzrule27

@MariachiMacabre said:

The Brutal Ballad of Fangus Klot sounded fantastic. Hopefully they still release it eventually now that they exist again. Still waiting on that HD version of Stranger's Wrath too...

Thats coming out on PSN on Tuesday.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zombie2011

Elveon looked pretty cool when they showed it, well the combat looked kinda cool.

moncole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By moncole

Project hammer looked cool 8 Days, story sounds so cliche