BRG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Edited By BRG
No Caption Provided

After the release of Spear of Destiny, the Wolfenstein series took a near-decade hiatus. Just as the name states, Return to Castle Wolfenstein is a return to this franchise but with all the bells and whistles of shooters at that time. What that means for this franchise is an evolutionary step for B.J. Blazkowicz, and one with more room for story, new gameplay mechanics, and identity. Here is my ranking of Return to Castle Wolfenstein. As always, you can find the rank itself at the bottom.

Taking place during World War 2, the game follows Blazkowicz escaping from Castle Wolfenstein after being caught snooping on a German paranormal division in Egypt. After his successful escape, Blazkowicz is sent back in to investigate and fight the paranormal division. From there, he chases around SS Special Projects Division head Wilhelm “Deathshead” Strasse and the paranormal division as they attempt to reawaken Heinrich the Fowler and unleash a supernatural army.

No one can deny the importance of Wolfenstein 3D, but I think it’s with this game where the series begins to find its own. Wolf 3D is great and all as a piece of innovation, but it isn’t the best game to play as it’s very simple in its mechanics and gets both repetitive and frustrating pretty fast. Return to Castle Wolfenstein, however, is an early 2000s shooter, and while it may be simple in today’s terms, it’s still leagues ahead of the last two games in terms of, well, just about everything. Simply put, Return to Castle Wolfenstein is the first game in the series to truly have a story, world, and identity; and while it may not have the importance of Wolfenstein 3D, it is in my opinion a better game.

Normally I would start with story or combat by this point, but I think the environments and levels are worth talking about first because this game actually has something recognizable. The previous two games have one-off maze levels with neon colored walls and occasional décor that I found frustrating, confusing, and even at times nauseating. This game actually has recognizable environments and connected levels that feels like a real place rather than a bunch of disjointed levels. The environments use realistic textures and colors to convey locations such as the castle, a town, underground catacombs, and more. The environments also feel more densely populated with environmental objects like décor and furniture, and a surprising amount of it is interactable. Levels have verticality and solid level design as each level flows well and don’t just feel like a series of boxy rooms. Secret rooms feel like actual secrets with secret environmental levers and doorways hiding these rooms rather than an interactable wall. Even with all of the new, though, some of the old can still be found here such as similar pickups, level stats at the end, and a whole lot of doors to open. In just about every way imaginable, the levels in this game are better from aesthetics to design while still calling back to the games of old.

The Catacombs give Indiana Jones vibes.
The Catacombs give Indiana Jones vibes.

Complementing these environments is a story which, while basic, still is more than what the previous two games have to offer. The story follows B.J. Blazkowicz as he foils the plans of a Nazi paranormal and science divisions’ attempt of creating a supernatural army. There are some new story elements in this game like cutscenes and dialogue, but none of it particularly stands out. More than anything though, Return to Castle Wolfenstein has given the series an identity as an alternate-WW2 game with a bit of a darker undertone that explores a more fantastical side of the war such as scientific abominations and occult beliefs. Sure, one could argue that the previous two games also have these elements with the Spear of Destiny or zombie-like enemies, but I think this game really cements the series’ identity thanks to the story and environments.

Speaking of drastic changes, combat has also seen some major renovations. Gone are the retro shooter days of the weapon residing in the middle of the screen with only horizontal aiming, and in are the modern shooter days of an off-center weapon, reloading, 3D aiming, and so on. Weapons also have more definition, as the simple ‘machine gun’ or ‘pistol’ are instead replaced by a variety of WW2 weapons and throwables. These weapons range from the classics like the MP40 and Colt M1911 to some fictional weapons like a Tesla gun or a sniper rifle with an infrared scope. All the weapons here are either classic weapons seen in other WW2 shooters or a basic science fiction weapon like a gun that shoots lightning, but it’s certainly better than the older Wolfenstein games. There is also a decent variety of enemy types ranging from traditional soldiers to Frankenstein-esque creatures. Again, nothing that hasn’t been done in other games before, but for this series it’s new and fresh.

Beyond just new weapons and enemies, combat and gameplay as a whole has a variety of changes. Armor is now an available pickup, which helps. The game offers the option to lean, though you cannot shoot while leaning which sucks. There are quick saves, which would’ve been nice in the past two games, but I see this as a positive for this game rather than a negative for the last two. There are less boss fights and they are as equally boring as the last two games, but the bosses are a bit more fleshed out with some unique attacks (though they ultimately don’t compare to the sheer memorability of seeing Hitler in a mech suit). And ultimately, combat difficulty has more of a natural progression throughout the game with tougher enemies and better weapons showing up later on. Combat isn’t perfect as throwing grenades is abysmal, moving while aiming with a sniper scope is finnicky, and it would be nice to lean and shoot, but overall the combat in this game has major improvements over the last two.

A vertical surprise attack. Sounds goofy, but it is something new for this series.
A vertical surprise attack. Sounds goofy, but it is something new for this series.

While the game as a whole is overall a lot better, where things fall apart is the stealth. While the last two games don’t have stealth, the two games before those do, and the whole ‘infiltration’ tone to this series makes stealth seem like the most sensible addition to this game. This game has more traditional shooter stealth unlike the original two games, but the stealth here just straight up sucks. There are a few silenced weapons as well as alarm boxes that can be destroyed, and it’s cool to be able to stealth kill through a few enemies, but it feels like the game forgot to implement all the other basic stealth elements like alert statuses or instantly alerted enemies without a radio. In other words, stealth is essentially impossible, which sucks because it would’ve been fun to dabble with it in this game. It also makes leaning pointless because leaning can only effectively be used in stealth, and stealth can effectively be used nowhere. Where this really sucks, though, is that there are one or two forced stealth levels. There is a neat part where you have to follow a specific track to not get spotted, but being forced to stealth in a game so inadequately equipped with stealth mechanics was quite miserable for me.

Even with bad stealth though, Return to Castle Wolfenstein is a standout game. While it may not be as much of an important or influential release as Wolfenstein 3D, I believe it is very influential in giving the series an identity. More than that, I enjoyed playing this game a lot more than any of the previous games, and for that reason I’m putting this game in the number one spot on my list.

P.S. I had trouble trying to get into a match for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, and I decided I’m going to skip Wolfenstein RPG, so the next game I’ll be covering is 2009’s Wolfenstein.

5. Castle Wolfenstein

4. Beyond Castle Wolfenstein

3. Spear of Destiny

2. Wolfenstein 3D

1. Return to Castle Wolfenstein

prozonelayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Return to Castle Wolfenstein was the first Xbox Live game I ever played and I have such fond memories of playing it. I don’t remember how far I got in the campaign but I definitely didn’t beat it. I know Enemy Territory is what everyone talks about, unfortunately by the time I got a gaming PC that was up to snuff the community that was left was too hardcore for me.

BRG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BRG

@prozonelayer: You should go back and finish the game. It's pretty fun to see the game start out as a traditional World War 2 shooter and end with you fighting a medieval warlord using sci-fi weapons picked up from reanimated half-cyborg soldiers. When I tried to play Enemy Territory, I think there were a few populated servers here-and-there, but all of them were heavily modded and whatnot, so I decided to not even try. Also, like you said, the people who are still playing the game by this point are going to be hardcore about it, so it won't be as fun.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely loved Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I remember being a kid reading a preview in a game magazine for it got so excited for it, so I was pleased to learn it was an amazing game upon release (and that I had a PC to play it). One of the few FPS campaigns I would play on repeat, and I loved the multiplayer too.

BRG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BRG

@ghost_cat: Personally, I just can't see how anyone can love the previous games. I can see a love for the older games out of nostalgia, but I feel as though it's hard to love Wolf 3D and Spear of Destiny on its own because of how archaic it is. I think even original Doom is a great game that holds up and is great outside of nostalgia. I think RTCW is the first game in the series that I can see people truly loving, and the mix of it being a great game on its own as well as a return to an iconic series makes it a great blend to become a fan favorite.

Ravey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ravey

@brg: Hey! Why would people love RTCW? What makes RTCW a great game?

RTCW didn't grab me, personally. It just didn't seem special or exciting. The game has a kind of dry and sterile presentation, and I suppose that's a matter of taste.

A quick comparison of Wolf3D and RTCW:

Wolf3DRTCW
You play as a WWII American spy dressed as a prisoner (on every mission for some reason). You play through episodes with a loose narrative—escape castle Wolfenstein and take it to the Nazis. You get to shoot Nazis, attack dogs, and the occult with guns and run around a first-person blocky mazes that loosely resemble castles, spooky catacombs, and military facilities. There's a loose narrative, but it's nothing special. You can eat dog food to restore health. The challenge is to survive and get from point A to point B in an unfair maze as fast as possible.You play as a WWII American spy dressed as a WWII American soldier. You play through a "realistic" campaign and escape castle Wolfenstein. You get to realistically shoot realistic-looking Nazis, occult creatures, and supermutants with realistic WWII weapons and a super tesla gun and run around first-person mazes that resemble realistic castles, catacombs, and military facilities in realistic Germany and Norway. You are given realistic objectives. There's a "real story", but it's nothing special. You can eat the nazi's cooked dinners to restore health. The challenge is to survive and get from point A to point B in an unfair maze as fast as possible.

As expected, it's kind of the same game. I don't much care for shooting things, unfair mazes, or rummaging around for hidden goodies in either game. RTCW is definitely more appealing as a dry military FPS, but I don't think it's a great (Wolfenstein) game.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brg: I appreciate the Wolfenstein titles previous to RTCW, but they just don't have the white-knuckle fun factor and tight(er) level design as OG Doom and Doom 2. I'll go back and play OG Doom games sometimes because I like playing them, but never of the old Wolfy3D titles.

BRG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravey: RTCW is built more as a remake of the original games rather than a sequel. It's meant to be an early 2000s version of Wolf 3D, which is why it has so many similarities. I agree that it's rather barebones to today's standards in terms of story, combat, etc., but it is leagues ahead compared to Wolf 3D, which is what this blog is about. The key word to all of this is "accessible," as this game is way more accessible to play than the previous games, and the first Wolfenstein game in my opinion that resembles a "modern video game." I also think the presentation is rather dry, but I personally feel like that is a sign of the times (Half Life is a game that I believe is rather dry as well), and I at least enjoyed its dryness because it's something that isn't seen as much today.

Ravey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ravey

@brg: I see where you're coming from. RTCW feels like a modern, mostly linear, mostly full-fledged military FPS, and the dry tone does make it stand out from the rest of the Wolfenstein games that are all over the top.

I think the story, world, and identity of RTCW is only superficially better than Wolf 3D. They're better because they're more fleshed out and production values got higher, but nothing stands out to me. Wolf 3D has personality and rough edges. The copy in Wolf 3D's manual is written in a persuasive and engaging style. And in some ways Wolf 3D is more accessible: simpler gameplay, simpler world, simpler objectives, more understandable and engaging writing, exaggerated Nazi Germany symbols. It doesn't fulfill the military fantasy, aesthetics, and modern shooter expectations as well as RTCW, and it's not especially creative or anything, but it does have some upsides.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good write-up. I think I played this back then but I'm not completely sure. Was the last boss Zombie-Kaiser Wilhelm or somethinglike that?

BRG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cptbedlam: The last boss in this game is Heinrich I brought back to life from the middle ages.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brg: Oh yes, I mixed up the names but it sounds like the ending / boss fight I remember.