Really???? NPH over Gary Oldman, Martin Sheen and Rob Wiethoff?

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

Seriously? How the hell did they give him the award for voice acting a crappy game when you have all these much better voice-actors? WTF man? Now I understand why everyone hates the VGA's.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Hamz

Yeah I felt Gary Oldman did an amazing job. It should have gone to him, but alas it's the VGAs!

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EvilTwin

They're awful.  It's not even worth getting upset about.  They probably gave him the award because he's the only one that showed up. 

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Azteck

Neil Patrick Harris is awesome, shush you.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Crono11
@Azteck said:
" Neil Patrick Harris is awesome, shush you. "
GhostlyEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GhostlyEnigma

My Videogame Awards of 2010 is better than SpikeTV's! :P

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By joeybagad0nutz
@Azteck said:
"Neil Patrick Harris is awesome, shush you. "

Don't get me wrong I like NPH. But all three of the actors I mentioned deserved that award so much, all of them should have gotten it.
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By turboman

Nolan North

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By benjaebe

Martin Sheen should have won, and I'd almost go so far as to say he did and just wasn't going to be there to accept. To be fair to NPH, the voicework in Shattered Dimensions was actually really good.

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By yetiantics

Do many of you HONESTLY BELIEVE that  Gary Oldman, Martin Sheen, and Rob Wiethoff would EVER sit through this garbage to get such a garbage award?! 
I saw NPH winning this from a mile away as soon as i saw he was nominated.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel

Getting upset at the absurdity of the VGAs is like getting upset when a baby poops his diaper.  You know what you're in for, so why get angry?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Azteck
@JoeRiccadonna said:
" @Azteck said:
"Neil Patrick Harris is awesome, shush you. "
Don't get me wrong I like NPH. But all three of the actors I mentioned deserved that award so much, all of them should have gotten it. "
Ehh.. Yeah, I'm still gonna go with The NPH personally.
joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By joeybagad0nutz
@PantyshotMQN said:
"Do many of you HONESTLY BELIEVE that  Gary Oldman, Martin Sheen, and Rob Wiethoff would EVER sit through this garbage to get such a garbage award?! I saw NPH winning this from a mile away as soon as i saw he was nominated. "

They could have still given them the award and just say they weren't able to make it. That's what the VMA's do all the time.
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheFreeMan

Martin Sheen should have won it but NPH is awesome and it's the VGAs, who fucking cares.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mordukai
@JoeRiccadonna said:
" Seriously? How the hell did they give him the award for voice acting a crappy game when you have all these much better voice-actors? WTF man? Now I understand why everyone hates the VGA's. "
There's really no need to get upset over all this. The VGA are pretty much a joke in most gamers eyes. 
DaManGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By DaManGB

Can't forget John Cleese.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Karkarov
@JoeRiccadonna said:
" @PantyshotMQN said:
"Do many of you HONESTLY BELIEVE that  Gary Oldman, Martin Sheen, and Rob Wiethoff would EVER sit through this garbage to get such a garbage award?! I saw NPH winning this from a mile away as soon as i saw he was nominated. "
They could have still given them the award and just say they weren't able to make it. That's what the VMA's do all the time. "
The VMA's are a serious award ceremony though.  The Spike VGA's are more like a really long commercial.  The fact that everyone who watched did it for the reveals tells you what it is really about.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#18  Edited By LordAndrew

NPH won so he could do that Spider-Man bit. So yeah.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Burns098356GX

Atleast he was quick with that here-e-o's joke.

Avatar image for pnut_buttr_panda
PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda
@JoeRiccadonna:  they gave it to him this year because he makes a huge attempt to support the industry and that made the judges choose him over everyone else. I still think martin sheen deserved the award over everyone else for his acting of the illusive man.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CptBedlam

This show is a joke, the awards are a joke ... they probably knew it themselves so they decided to give the host an award, just for shits n giggles. No big deal. That award is not nearly important enough so that any company, no matter how corrupt, would throw out money for it.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By Claude
@GhostlyEnigma said:
" My Videogame Awards of 2010 is better than SpikeTV's! :P "
More discussion worthy too.
kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kishan6

NPH4LIFE

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EvilTwin
@Karkarov said:
" @JoeRiccadonna said:
" @PantyshotMQN said:
They could have still given them the award and just say they weren't able to make it. That's what the VMA's do all the time. "
The VMA's are a serious award ceremony though."
The VMAs are only a very very small step above the VGAs. 
HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HubrisRanger

The "Best Performance by a Human" (what a weird way to phrase that, but I get why they have to do it that way) award has always been the biggest of all of VGA's jokes. If you actually look at their history, most of their awards are pretty fair and easy to defend. Then you look at those performance awards, and its clear that the award almost by default will go to the person who's A) willing to show up and B) at least marginally famous. Here are all of the past Male Performance winners.

2010: NPH for Shattered Dimensions
2009: Hugh Jackman for X-Men Origins Wolverine
2008: Michael Hollik for GTA4 (the one year they did this one right)
2007: Skipped the category entirely
2006: James Gandolfini for that Sopranos game
2005: Jack Black for Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie
2004: Samuel L. Jackson for GTA: San Andreas
2003: Ray Liotta for GTA: Vice City (it should also be noted that everyone who complains about this years VGAs should be forced to watch this first year. We've come a long way, baby.)

ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryno9881
@PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
" @JoeRiccadonna:  they gave it to him this year because he makes a huge attempt to support the industry and that made the judges choose him over everyone else. I still think martin sheen deserved the award over everyone else for his acting of the illusive man. "
I thought that the online community choses the winners? 
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By wrighteous86

He was there.

lokilaufey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lokilaufey

My friend summed it up pretty well with, "LOL VGAs." 

Though the awards have come a long way since their Inception, as HubrisRanger pointed out. I can only hope they continue to make progress though... it might be awhile before they are respectable.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By vitor
@JoeRiccadonna: Same BS as last year - they awarded Jack Black the same award just because he was presenting.  

@chickenpotpi:  Would be nice if they started actually getting some decent comedians (or none at ll) and stepped away from the stoner/sex/generally immature puerile humour. The Oscars don't pull that sh*t for a reason - opens up the audience and is less shockingly embarrassing.   
HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HubrisRanger
@Vitor said:
" @JoeRiccadonna: Same BS as last year - they awarded Jack Black the same award just because he was presenting.  "
Actually, Hugh Jackman won that award last year. Plus, Jack Black hosted two years ago, when he was hyping for Brutal Legend. The only year Jack Black won was 2005, when Sammy Jackson hosted.
vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By vitor
@HubrisRanger: Jack Black won 'Best Voice' in 2009 - over Nolan North for Uncharted 2. I was PISSED.
ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan
@HubrisRanger:
Yeah, for as bad as the awards are now they have come a long way. Maybe in seven more years they will get it right.
HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HubrisRanger
@Vitor said:
" @HubrisRanger: Jack Black won 'Best Voice' in 2009 - over Nolan North for Uncharted 2. I was PISSED. "
Huh. Weird, they had both the Best Voice AND the Best Performance by a Human Male award.

Now my head just hurts.
vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By vitor
@HubrisRanger said:
" @Vitor said:
" @HubrisRanger: Jack Black won 'Best Voice' in 2009 - over Nolan North for Uncharted 2. I was PISSED. "
Huh. Weird, they had both the Best Voice AND the Best Performance by a Human Male award.  Now my head just hurts. "
Best performance by a human male is their 'celebrity VO' award. So yes, it's not really worth much. More for ratings than anything else. 

Still can't believe Nolan North of Claudia Black didn't win last year and lost out to Jack Black... Ugh.
lokilaufey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lokilaufey
@Vitor: Even if they still had mediocre but semi-talented comedians but actually talented joke writers it would make a WORLD of difference. Alas, it seems to be one of those things that's put on by a group of people who THINK they understand the demographic they are aiming at, and are wildly off kilter. 

I like to think they will get it right eventually, but it'll probably be a good handful of years or more before that happens.
pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pweidman

The VGA's are a joke, unfortunately.  Yeah when I saw Harris picked for the VO award I literally turned off the show.  Only part worth watching is the announcement trailers/teasers, and those all hit Gametrailers immediately anyway for all to gawk at.
audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By audiosnag

I try to give that show a chance every year but I've given up. The VGA's are an abortion.
The announcements made it worth watching but just barely.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Gary Oldman or Martin Sheen didn't win?

This is my face right now
 This is my face right now
the fuck?I like NPH but Oldman and Sheen both gave amazing performances this year.god damn it
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By vidiot
@chickenpotpi said:
" Though the awards have come a long way since their Inception, as HubrisRanger pointed out. I can only hope they continue to make progress though... it might be awhile before they are respectable. "
Really? They have? 

I remember the first award show, it was terrible on a level I didn't think was probable. Since then it's levitated from "unbelievably horrible", to just "horrible". That list shows one year with GTA 4, that at least seems....understandable...The rest is just garbage. 

This award show is still godawful. It still has problems that have stemmed from the shows inception. Who are these people presenting? What's with these strange award choices? 
Really? Dane Cook? Dane Cook?! Why is he there?!?!

Why do we have this again?
gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

VGA's are retarded.

lokilaufey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lokilaufey
@vidiot: I never said they were good now, I just agreed that they've come a long way. Like you said, they've come from godawful to just horrible. It's progress at least. I did point out that they aren't respectable.
Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie
@PantyshotMQN said:
" Do many of you HONESTLY BELIEVE that  Gary Oldman, Martin Sheen, and Rob Wiethoff would EVER sit through this garbage to get such a garbage award?! I saw NPH winning this from a mile away as soon as i saw he was nominated. "
Exactly. Let's face it, they gave it to the guy that they figured would show up.
Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By Ferginator4k

I didn't mind NPH winning but i felt that Martin Sheen deserved it more. 
Illusive Man FTW

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Basically, the VGAs are a chance to promote video games to the wider audience.  The place where you can make the 'serious' awards is GDC. 

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Mordukai said:
" @JoeRiccadonna said:
" Seriously? How the hell did they give him the award for voice acting a crappy game when you have all these much better voice-actors? WTF man? Now I understand why everyone hates the VGA's. "
There's really no need to get upset over all this. The VGA are pretty much a joke in most gamers eyes.  "
This is correct. An award from those prats means nothing.
Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Raymayne

*Typical 'It's the VGA's, they suck!" comment* 

No but seriously NPH deserved that shit, grow up, the people you want to win awards are not always going to win awards.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I knew that award was a sham the minute they didn't even nominate Patrick Stewart. Sure, his performance may have been just a little too melodramatic, but it's Patrick freaking Stewart!  

Also...Wasn't NPH the host of the show? Odd... 

And I think I should add that I think that Jeff Kramer should have won/been nominated for his masterful performance as York. 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By penguindust
@PantyshotMQN said:
" Do many of you HONESTLY BELIEVE that  Gary Oldman, Martin Sheen, and Rob Wiethoff would EVER sit through this garbage to get such a garbage award?! I saw NPH winning this from a mile away as soon as i saw he was nominated. "
This right here.  The category goes to people who will show up so that the awards show can get some celebrity magazine red carpet coverage and that's all.  No very talented, completely unrecognizable voice-actor will ever win the award.  That's just how it is designed.  The show wants to be considered the video game equivalent of the MTV Movie Awards so it purposely nominates big-name actors for these awards.  If the actor RSVPs and lets Spike know they are coming, they're going to win the award.  If they happen to be hosting, well the awards show will even invent a new category just to give them an award.  At the 2009 awards, Jack Black hosted and won "Best Voice" for Eddie Riggs (Brutal Legend) which is some how not the same as "Best Male Performance" which went to Hugh Jackman for the Wolverine game.  I can't recall for sure, but I think Jackman sent a video acceptance that year. 

Why are we even discussing this?  It's the VGAs!  No one cares about the awards themselves.  Its all about the preview trailers and even they know it.  If you want to argue and fret over who should or shouldn't have won an award, wait until GDC.  That's an award presentation more like the Oscars, meaning it's voted on by your fellow video game industry peers. 
Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Gary Oldman was in Black Ops right?  He's Reznov?