Reciprocity: Was Denis Dyack Right or Wrong?

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Terrell

For all of you familiar with Denis Dyack's experiment regarding Too Human and the Neo-Gaf forums, do you feel he was right in his ideas or wrong?  Is more reciprocity needed? Or should things continue the way they are?

After some long thinking, as well as playing a few games online and reading these forums, I have to agree with him that more accountability and reciprocity is needed in the social videogame world.  Online, I'm constantly barraged with racial slurrs and things of the sort, and I know that 99% of those racists would not have the courage (or cowardice I should say ,since racists are basically

Racists Get Hurt, Period!! Hope I don't find you!!!
Racists Get Hurt, Period!! Hope I don't find you!!!
cowards) to say those things if any sort of reprecussions (REAL reprecussions) were set in place for their actions. And after reading some of these forum posts and topics, it is evident that something has to change.

So what do you think? Do gamers need to be held accountable for their words and actions just like every other medium? Or are we too scared and cowardly to own up to the things we say and do.
efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By efrucht

We certainly do. Human beings, no matter the medium, should be held accountable for what they say and do.

pyromaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By pyromaniac

Okay I am sorry,  missed something. What exactly did he propose?

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By MasterSplinter

Everyone should be held accountable, but unfortunately we are allowed to hide behind our user-names. I agree with Denis Dyack completely, but unfortunately that is how the internet currently functions.

osmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By osmiles

Dyack is right in the sense that despite the medium there needs to be repercussions for offensive and hurtful actions whether they be on a forum or an online game, but not in the sense of criticizing work.

Avatar image for stapler_hernandez
Stapler_Hernandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Stapler_Hernandez

Dyack is a damn fool.

Cali_Style

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Cali_Style

Although I agree with a lot of what Dennis has to say on the topic of reciprocity in the age of the internet, the sad fact is that I don't see a whole lot of change occurring. It's fucked for people that don't want to hear any of that foul shit, but it comes with the internet. This shit has been going on for a while. Which brings up the question of what exactly one can do to "hold certain people accountable." Truthfully, with no physical connection, it's one of those deals where you just have to let it roll off your back or ignore it all together. I do. 

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By epic_pets

He was WRONG

Nobility

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nobility

I wouldn't say he was wrong but I don't approve and I don't see any way this can have a happy ending.  Like many developers before him, he promised an amazing game before even a demo came out.  Though that may be his intention, baiting the gaming community will have repercussions.  On one hand, I could say things need to be changed, that not everyone will be treated equally on the internet, some will be more hostile and others ridiculed.  On the other, the truth could be to say point blank TOO DAMN BAD, nothing is fair and you take whatever life throws at you.  He should have known what he was getting into and now he has to take the backlash.

In terms of racism, I DO believe that has to change and I'm in front of the line in that one but people will say whatever is on their minds or say it just because they can get away with it. The question that will always remain is: how?

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sarnecki

I'd go crosseyed if I tried to explain my stance.

MacGyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By MacGyver

dude its a freaking forum. society is no better or worse because of it. thats like saying prank phone callers are making society worse. dude needs to get over himself and understand as a public figure he is subject to slander.  he needs to just ignore it and go on with his life.

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By Terrell
Osmiles said:
"Dyack is right in the sense that despite the medium there needs to be repercussions for offensive and hurtful actions whether they be on a forum or an online game, but not in the sense of criticizing work.
"

I agree completely.

randori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By randori

Well said.  The anonymity is a problem, but it's now become a convention of  message boards.  I love how people that disagree can just say it, and not have to explain why.  Excellent reasoning skills, guys. Note the sarcasm.  

suitteeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By suitteeth

let's arrest the internet

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By epic_pets

He was wrong

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Bennyishere

I agree that there needs to be more repercussions, but how is this supposed to be done?