Recommendation: change Shows to Playlists

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

Ever since shows were added as a thing to Giant Bomb I always found it curious, because at the end of the day they don't really make shows exactly. They make long and short form content in both video, podcast, and written form, that sometimes is a series, sometimes a one-off, and a mix of everything in between. To handle this, I recommend they do away with the "show" moniker and concept and instead move to "playlist". Let me explain below:

• A playlist could be a series of related videos of the same topic (IE: like a current show)
  • A playlist could include podcast, video, or written content, or all of the above.
  • A playlist could be made by staff or made by the community and shared by the staff

So what might this look like with Giant Bomb content?

• A "Run for the hills" playlist of the videos of that series
  • A "Giant Bombcast" playlist of the episodes in video and podcast form
  • An E3 playlist of the travelogue, trailers, and any related podcasts
  • A Game of the year playlist, included videos, podcasts, and written articles of winners
  • User made playlists of their fav E3 moments from past years, or GOTY discussions, or reviews
  • Users could subscribe to playlists and get notified when they're updated. So even when something goes on hiatus for a while (game tapes, guilty treasures) they'll know when a new one has been added.

Playlists would allow for much more flexibility in how content is grouped together and shared. I hope an update to the site is coming with this new era and hope this is something you'll consider. Thanks for reading!

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The pedant in me approves of this idea!

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3 brian_  Online

Yeah. As a weirdo for grouping stuff and organization, the current set up has been bugging me for a while. I'm not a stickler for whatever they want to call it, but some of these pages are really jacked up. Game of the Year is probably the worst one. Deliberations pre-the switch to video recordings don't show in any of the pages. Not even the podcast page. And when you do go to the Game of the Year page under podcasts, it just gives you all the video content anyways. That stuff should just all live in the same place.

VideoGameMobes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

And hey, they should put all the stuff that's for sure not active series in the "archive" section.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8