Recommendations for game documentaries?

HibikiRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By HibikiRush

I got into watching video game documentaries lately and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations, mostly looking for stuff like dev interviews, behind-the-scenes insight rather than something like King of Kong. I've realized there are a lot of interesting and well produced ones out there so wondering if I may have missed anything. This is what I've seen so far and liked so wondering if there are any similar ones out there:

Insert Coin

From Bedrooms to Billions series (UK, Amiga, PSX)

Diggin' in the Carts

Archipel

High Score

Console Wars

No Clip

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@hibikirush: Indie Game the Movie is pretty good, I think I have it via Steam but it's been around long enough it's probably out there on a few different places. It covers the development of three of the early Xbox Live Arcade/PC indie titles, Super Meat Boy, Braid and Fez and the process for smaller games to make it into the market from their inception. It's got some flaws but overall I think it is pretty good watch.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

The NOCLIP interview with the guy who made Dwarf Fortress is choice.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hibikirush: It's not exactly the same, but if you want to know what the development of many games went through since most think it's all smooth transitions, id watch the youtube channel What Happun or whatever it is. Matt, I think. He does short 20-minute episodes that break down why Shenmue 3 was...Shenmue 3. How dark souls became dark souls, it wasn't easy. New episodes about weekly. So something to look forward to. There's also a making-of god of war 2018 I never watched made by the company, I expect it's harmless fluff about how great they are but there is bound to be some insight somewhere. That game seems full of difficult hurdles.

bondfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Summoning Salts video: Mario Kart 64: The Quest for Perfection. Low key one of the best gaming documentaries. all his videos are great!

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do youtube series count or are you only interested in feature-length documentaries? Check out "War Stories". Each episode is a dev explaining the issues they came across in making a famous game. This is also a good documentary on Outer Wilds .

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By majormitch

Not a video documentary, but if you're up for books then Jason Schreier's Blood, Sweat, and Pixels has a lot of great behind the scenes insight and interviews into the development struggles, failures, and successes of 10 different games (1 chapter per game). I found it to be a very interesting read, but I also just like reading about the process of making games :)

You and others have already mentioned noclip, but a whole lot of their stuff is great.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Not a documentary but Tim Rogers Action Button reviews are designed to essentially be a miniseries of reviews for the game in question. They're not for everyone granted.

HibikiRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By HibikiRush

Thanks for the suggestions!

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

As an aside to documentaries. A good game based program is Dead Pixels from the UK. Its a gaming based comedy about a few people who work together and play games.

There's only 6 episodes, and the episode I saw they enticed someone else from their workplace to join them in Warcraft where they ended up killing them and robbing them of all their loot to which leads to cringe funny interactions in real life with that person at work.

Worth a watch.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@topcyclist: The YouTube channel is Matt McMuscles and the series is called Wha Happun. Pretty entertaining but a fairly surface level look at things in general.

Avatar image for whiteforestparkrangr
WhiteForestParkRangr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RetroAhoy and Strafefox are pretty great and very professionally done.

Monty_vaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

@alias said:

Not a documentary but Tim Rogers Action Button reviews are designed to essentially be a miniseries of reviews for the game in question. They're not for everyone granted.

Seconded. They are super interesting even if the game covered isn't something you're interested in.

Skullomania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Skullomania

Pretending I'm a Superman is a great skateboard/video game doc about the inception of the THPS franchise. It's really well made and they seem to have their work in terms of speaking to a lot of the original people actually involved (skaters, developers, artists).

VerticalMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hibikirush: if YouTube series are eligible I would say look up the channel Gaming Historian, many short videos and a couple long deep dives all covering various aspects of gaming history. One of my favourite channels. The Tetris video in particular is amazing.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Business Wars is a podcast that did a series on the history of the big game studios. It's more of a history of with details from various sources so not necessarily a doc since it's missing direct interviews for accounts. But it very much includes accounts from those sources, just indirectly. Check it out. Great podcast in general, too.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@creepingdeath0: Lol yes that's the one. Funny, you mention it being kinda surface level. I assume he is going for a tv show-like thing given the commercial-like breaks and 20 min episodes, so if he's picked up by a broadcaster he can easily work with them. Personally, I like it. Thou I see how he may need a bit of work to reach television quality. Tried to let my family watch one with me and they couldn't take it after 5 minutes, maybe his voice or the lack of enthusiastic music and catching stuff. I don't know. To answer OP's question, it's all about what your willing to get into. and as creeping said, this one suggestion is very base level and not nitty-gritty. On purpose though given he's going into a general audience. (lost my family but they enjoy lifestyle videos on purses and apartment hunting so to each their own. XD)

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

King of Kong about Donkey Kong competition