Release Season Slowdown -- What Do You Play?

captdomano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By captdomano

Now that we're mostly in the slow period of new releases, gamers can take the time to asses what games might have gone untouched or forgotten during the flurry of high profile titles releasing week after week.  What games do you all find yourself gravitating to in preparation for the upcoming holiday release season?  
    For myself, I'm looking at concentrating a little more on 3D Dot Game Heroes, Dead Space, IL-2 Sturmovik and Bioshock 2.  There are still plenty of others that I'm forgetting about, but those are my main three games I'm going back to.  Even if you don't have a specific game, do you find yourself drawn to a specific genre during these off-times?  Perhaps you're more into the in-depth RPGs like Persona or Fallout that require more of a commitment.  You might be more of a casual player due to summer vacation being a slightly more laid back, easy time.  Just interested to see what everyone else is up to out there :D

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ProfessorEss

There are so many things I haven't played, completed, or collected everything I want to collect yet that I'll be good for a long, long time.
This list would be so long I don't even know where to start.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Silent Hill 2, even though I should be playing Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days.

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Lawrens

Playing god hand, recently beaten hard and doing another run, will probably play it on and off until whichever game I pick up next, might return to some games in my backlog. Don't really have much time so this is great, will save money for fall.

captdomano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By captdomano

God Hand...That's the game that has the guy punching the other guy through the mouth on the cover, right?  Never did get around to playing that one--I'm guessing that since you're going through another run that the game is pretty good?

@ProfessorEss said:

" There are so many things I haven't played, completed, or collected everything I want to collect yet that I'll be good for a long, long time. This list would be so long I don't even know where to start. "

Yeah, I'm right there with you--I just picked some of the more recent releases I haven't been able to get to.  My actual list of games that I'd like to get to spans hundreds of games on multiple platforms...It's ridiculous the number of games I'd like to be able to get to.
Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Jams

Playing Alpha Protocol and All Points Bulletin. They've been taking up all my time. I bought Monster Hunter 3 when it came out but only spent about an hour with it before I put it on the shelf. I plan on returning to that at some point. I just bought the id pack on steam too so I can play the dooms and quakes in short bursts. I played The Sims 3 while catching up on X-files on Netflix too.

toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By toast_burner

I've spent the whole year preparing for the summer. I have a huge pile of Adventure games and RPG's that will take the whole summer to beat

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By MysteriousBob
@captdomano said:
" God Hand...That's the game that has the guy punching the other guy through the mouth on the cover, right?  Never did get around to playing that one--I'm guessing that since you're going through another run that the game is pretty good?  "
Where have you been? Its one of the best games on the PS2. 

captdomano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By captdomano
@MysteriousBob said:

Where have you been? Its one of the best games on the PS2.  

"

Well, crap....Looks like I need to track this one down then.  Yeah, I don't remember why I didn't check that one out while it was released, but it looks pretty fun.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By EpicSteve
@toast_burner said:
" I've spent the whole year preparing for the summer. I have a huge pile of Adventure games and RPG's that will take the whole summer to beat "
That's not a bad idea.
NJ_Paolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By NJ_Paolo

i'm mostly playing super Mario Galaxy 2. i'll probably pick crackdown 2 later.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zeforgotten

Slowdown? 
Owning all the current gen consoles and the handhelds there is no "Slowdown" for me. 
Steam, PSN, XBLA and retail releases. I have no idea why people say "Slowdown"  

Onigenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Onigenko

Demon's Souls was just released in Europe, so I'm probably playing that.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By MayorFeedback

I've been a PC gamer exclusively up until a few months ago when I got an Xbox, so I'm catching up on stuff I've missed. Right now I'm mainly playing Dante's Inferno, Halo ODST, and Shadow Complex. Ran through The Force Unleashed recently, that was pretty fun. And I bought the first Kane & Lynch on the Steam sale yesterday and I'm kind of liking it. I know. I KNOW. 

But, yeah, trying to play as many games as I can before Rock Band 3 and Kinect come out, devour my life, and my family and I never leave the house again.

nywt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By nywt

Way too many games but I'll see what I can remember. Transformers: WFC, Brutal Legend, Need for Speed Shift, Bad Company 2 (Onslaught Mode), Red Dead Redemption (Co-op DLC), Max Payne 1 & 2 (Damn you Valve and your summer deals), The Saboteur, Killzone 2, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Final Fantasy 13, Liberty City Stories, F.E.A.R. 2, Borderlands (General Knoxx DLC), Mass Effect 2(Insanity playthrough) and Dragon Age Origins: Awakening. I'm sure more will be added to my list because of the crazy deals happening on Steam.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zeforgotten
@drhans said:

" I've been a PC gamer exclusively up until a few months ago when I got an Xbox, so I'm catching up on stuff I've missed. Right now I'm mainly playing Dante's Inferno, Halo ODST, and Shadow Complex. Ran through The Force Unleashed recently, that was pretty fun. And I bought the first Kane & Lynch on the Steam sale yesterday and I'm kind of liking it. I know. I KNOW.  But, yeah, trying to play as many games as I can before Rock Band 3 and Kinect come out, devour my life, and my family and I never leave the house again. "

I find nothing wrong with liking Kane & Lynch. 
Then again I wasn't much of a wagon jumper back then either so I jsut formed my own opinion instead of listening to the "gods of games" 
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#18  Edited By Yummylee

RDR still....and soon Alan Wake and Alpha Protocol to go along with it.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MayorFeedback
@ZeForgotten: Good, glad to hear it. I wasn't sure if mentioning it on Giant Bomb got the hate flowing or what. I'm only a few levels in but I'm totally digging it. 
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By subject2change

Having a very large shelf of unplayed games from PS1, PS2, PS3 makes this is a good thing for me. I am saving money and cleaning up the backlog, not to mention Steam as well and it's recent sale.

Currently playing Gears of War 1 for the first time, as I just bought my 360 when the Spring bundle was launched. Also getting back into FFXIII and will probably play Assassin's Creed 2 or Fatal Frame 1 after I finish Gears.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By uniform

I'm really interested in Demon's Souls. The only thing making me reluctant to purchase it is the idea of losing hours of progress. Sure, we should all play games to have fun, and that seems to be what DS is all about, but I can't imagine myself not getting frustrated with the game.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zeforgotten
@drhans: Meh, the only ones you really have to look out for are the Jeffinites. 
He has a weird cult following of love hungry pre-teens that would get made if you ever said anything that was mildly against what Jeff said.  
Other than that there's not really anything to worry about besides being on these forums and (god forbid) you have your own opinion :P
Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@uniform:  It's really not as bad as people say. You never lose hours of progress because the levels are usually pretty short, especially once you've done them and know where to go. You can lose your stockpile of souls but If you're smart about where to farm that's never a huge deal.
uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By uniform

I figured that was slightly exaggerated. Secondly, I love the idea of players cooperating with each other, yet at the same time I read there is a PVP element. Is there corpse camping in the game while playing on PSN?

Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Blueman

I plan on buying a 360 and playing Mass Effect 1 & 2, Alan Wake, Conviction and Shadow Complex. That should get me through the summer.

captdomano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By captdomano
@ZeForgotten said:
"Slowdown? Owning all the current gen consoles and the handhelds there is no "Slowdown" for me. Steam, PSN, XBLA and retail releases. I have no idea why people say "Slowdown"   "

Eh, I've got everything but a Wii, and personally there isn't much that is coming out in the next few months that I'm interested in--which is usually the case about this time every year for a lot of gamers, hence the slowdown time.  It's possible that I'm missing out on some releases though...What's coming out over this summer that you're excited about?
wavegoodbye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By wavegoodbye

I just picked up Valkyria Chronicles and am horribly addicted.  Still need to finish God of War 3 and FF13, but Modern Warfare 2  and Pixel Junk Monsters both keep getting in the way.  Needless to say I'm not really looking towards the horizon and new games right now.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have 3 SMT games to finish and plan on getting Dragon Quest IX when its released, with all the games i need to finish i won't be done till next year 0.0

captdomano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By captdomano
@uniform:
Not to get this thread TOO derailed, but while Demon's Souls is definitely hard and you will find yourself dying multiple times, it's not that frustrating after you've spent some time with it.  Moniker is right--the most you lose is a stockpile of souls, but if you fight your way back to where you died without dying again, you can get those souls back, so you don't really lose anything aside from having to play through the level twice. 

And the PVP / Co-Op stuff is handled very nicely, too.  I've been invaded from other players multiple times, and really if you die it's just like dying any other time--no further penalty for you.  Plus, I believe the formula is that the invading person will always be a lower level than you, so you usually stand a better shot of winning in a straight up fight. 
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Morrowind.... could take awhile. ;) 

Bossman4595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bossman4595

I plan on playing team fortress 2 as usual, and any other game I pick up during the massive steam sale.