TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@benpicko said:

@asurastrike said:

Is Relentless Negativity the followup to Depression Quest?

It's the prequel

It's also an emo metal band.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By chrissedoff

I agree completely. To me, it almost seems like some kind of bizarre online machismo. It's as if people think being optimistic or earnest is showing vulnerability that will leave them open to mockery. If the overwhelming tone of a message board is negative, the people who want to be open minded are going to leave. Some people get online to chat about stuff and other people get online to vent and get out all their aggression. The latter group is way more active.

DxBecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The constant cynicism is fucking annoying. I realize there are legitimate problems within the video game industry to be entirely cynical about (I'm looking at you day one downloadable content that can only be obtained by pre-ordering the game at GameStop), but what the ever happened to video games being fun and exciting? This was the first E3 in ages that made me incredibly excited for video games. The worst conference was EA's and that was simply because they didn't have a lot to show at this point, however they still showed off Mirrors Edge 2 and Star Wars Battlefront. Microsoft finally revealed some interesting looking titles and appears to be taking the criticism it's received to heart, to the point where they blatantly stated their conference would only focus on games. Nintendo finally nailed the Digital Event and I think this is the future of press conferences at E3. Nintendo showed they were self aware and not afraid to laugh at themselves. Nintendo revealed a killer 2015 line up including a new arena shooter, an open world Legend of Zelda, a new Yoshi game, a new Kirby game, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Mario Maker, and teased a new Star Fox and Mother 3. Sony revealed a new Uncharted game which looks phenomenal, LittleBigPlanet 3, Let It Die, and Ratchet and Clank. id announced a new Doom with a teaser that seemed very Doom II-esque. I really can't complain about anything this year. The only thing I can really say I'm disappointed about is the lack of new Metroid or a Majora's Mask 3D announcement from Nintendo, and that I'm not going to have the money or time to play the awesome titles coming out in 2015. Easily the best E3 in five years for me.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@dxbecks said:

Nintendo revealed a killer 2015 line up including a new arena shooter, an open world Legend of Zelda, a new Yoshi game, a new Kirby game, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Mario Maker, and teased a new Star Fox and Mother 3.

OK, what does that mean? Are they teasing a Western release of the game (which I imagine amounts to contacting Starmen.Net and asking, "Hey, can we use your fan translation?"), or is this something else entirely?

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Yup the internet is a negative place. Doesn't mean it changes how I feel though. Lots of great games were announced and shown at E3 so far. I'm super excited for games in the next 12 months.

DxBecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By DxBecks

@video_game_king said:

@dxbecks said:

Nintendo revealed a killer 2015 line up including a new arena shooter, an open world Legend of Zelda, a new Yoshi game, a new Kirby game, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Mario Maker, and teased a new Star Fox and Mother 3.

OK, what does that mean? Are they teasing a Western release of the game (which I imagine amounts to contacting Starmen.Net and asking, "Hey, can we use your fan translation?"), or is this something else entirely?

In the Robot Chicken skits during the Digital Events, one of the press people in the audience says "Come on Reggie, give us Mother 3!" The other game the audience member named was Star Fox. It was later teased that Star Fox is in development, and then confirmed. My educated guess is that Nintendo specifically made reference to Mother 3 as tease that they plan to translate the game, or use the fan translation, and release it on the e-Shop.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dxbecks said:

@video_game_king said:

@dxbecks said:

In the Robot Chicken skits during the Digital Events

Now I'm even more confused!

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just ignore them. Seriously, a lot of them are simply looking for attention. Don't give it to them.

DxBecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dxbecks said:

@video_game_king said:

@dxbecks said:

In the Robot Chicken skits during the Digital Events

Now I'm even more confused!

Loading Video...

These videos played throughout the Digital Event. In fact the event opened on the first skit. I had to do a double take to make sure I had clicked the right link when I watched the event this morning.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#110  Edited By musubi

@oldirtybearon: There is but like I said I think a lot of people just expect haymaker after haymaker and that realistically usually doesn't happen.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the Internet. Being an anonymous misanthropic jerkoff is the whole point. Positivity is just so passé....

Avatar image for deactivated-6041dd7056393
deactivated-6041dd7056393

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I made a thread just the other day on a similar note, and people jumped down my throat about it. So much of the internet continues to be toxic as ever, even a community like this that go out of their way to act all super duper nice and PC all the time, can be very aggressively hostile towards things that are outside of their comfort zone.

For my taste, I was excited about games before E3 and I'm even more so now. There are more games that I want to play than I literally have the time, money or energy for. So all the negativity, and specifically people complaining about a supposed lack of games in 2014, is complete nonsense to me.

One theory I have is that the people who are most negative are the people who primarily experience games through the huge AAA marketing-heavy releases. So they are used to buying a new high profile game at full price every month or couple of weeks, each one is a significant financial investment to them and they put all their eggs in that one basket. In addition they are always on the lookout for games of that caliber being announced at places like E3.

I tend to rent a lot of my games or buy them at discounted prices later on, and I am never in any rush to play new releases immediately at launch because I always have a ridiculous backlog to catch up with. I think this frees me from getting overly hyped about these AAA releases (i.e Watch Dogs) so I tend to avoid the inevitable backlash, and I never feel like any one game needs to be everything I ever wanted. And it helps that my taste in games has expanded so much in recent years and I'm giving so many more styles and genres an equal chance now, on a wider range of platforms too.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#113  Edited By Ben_H

I'm getting to the point of not even reading the internet anymore because of how negative it is now. The chat during the E3 streams has been downright awful. GB is slowly becoming more negative and it is one of the last bastions of video game forums not completely full of assholes left. All the forums I used to go to are just awful now. Team Liquid went from being great (thanks to strict moderation) to being taken over by overly negative jerks from the Starcraft Reddit. All the good people seldom post because the negative people will rip them apart at a moment's notice over the tiniest trivia. This type of stuff is happening at other forums too.

I'm slowly gravitating toward forums where the average age of the community is much older than me. I feel like I fit in far better there. Usually the communities are much more mature. Proper discussions can be had and I can actually learn stuff. Usually that ends up being programming or technology forum type places for people out of school and already in the business but that is fine with me (I get a lot of great pointers as a result).

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#114  Edited By monkeyking1969

Cynicism is like the cinnamon, a little adds spice and a lot chokes you.

The big issue is mindless hope and relentless cynicism are just two sides of one coin. When people start being too positive the start a wave of making others drop some cynicism. Then the wave sloshes the other way and too much cynicism makes other feel like they have to be yapping defenders. Its the chicken and the egg - which game first the fanboy or the critic? And the answer is they are the same people, these stupid cocks are the slimy uncooked rotten eggs of the world.

The Central Path, Middle Way as Siddhartha Gautama conceived it in 500 BCE leads to liberation in all things. No one thing is all bad or all good. Be that thing be [system], [game], [service], it is neither failure nor sucess depending on how you define your term for each state of being.

The point is not strive for stupid generalizeation, the point is not 'something for everyone' but rather there is good in all things - even good in things you REALLY honestly hate. And, there is good in the ideas that you might find loathsome to endure...like DLC or Wii U games.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I was pretty negative after the pre-rendered trailer fest that Sony and MS put on, but the positivity of Nintendo's Digital Event and their Treehouse stream is goddamn infectious.

Creme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm really sorry for developers who try to make a good game and then read those torrents of doom posted all over. On a much lesser scale, it's one of the (very few) things I don't like so much about Jeff, Patrick (and Ryan), they can be somewhat negative when dealing with some kinds of games, sometimes unkindly, though I appreciate honesty above all else.

Relentless positivism is not a very good thing though, it reeks of buy-out from companies, like the suspicious 10s given for GTA 4, I keep thinking how many reviewers succumbed to that. Another thing it reeks of is fanboyism and cult following, like the Miyamoto or Gabe Newell fans, sure they have their merits but calm down guys.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers