Reminder! PlayStation Plus Prices Are Going Up This Week (Exact Date: Sept 6th, 2023)!

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
Sony's press release announcing the price changes.
Sony's press release announcing the price changes.

This isn't exactly new information, and did in fact break last week. Nonetheless, for those of you that missed it, the 12-month price for all tiers of PlayStation Plus will be increasing starting this week for all new subscriptions. If you do not increase your subscription by September 6th, 2023, you will be subject to the new prices indicated in Sony's press release shared above.

It is helpful to consider what the prices are increasing from to properly gauge how big the leap is. Plus Essential is increasing by $20 or from $59.99 to $79.99. Plus Extra will increase by $35 which jumps its 12-month price from $99.99 to $134.99. Finally, the Plus Premium price will be increasing by $40 from $119.99 to $159.99. For those that live outside of the United States, here's a handy price change comparison chart from Gematsu.

Source Gematsu. Canadian Dollars are not included, but I can imagine things will continue to be rough.
Source Gematsu. Canadian Dollars are not included, but I can imagine things will continue to be rough.

Ultimately, this seems like a classic example of tit for tat. When Microsoft announced that the price of Game Pass would be going up in most countries, most insiders and experts speculated that it was only a matter of time before Sony would announce a price increase for PlayStation Plus. However, while Microsoft's price increases were region dependent, with some countries and regions completely immune, Sony's price increases seem far more universal and worldwide. Obviously all price increases suck, especially when the services that are seeing a price increase are not witnessing an improvement or expansion of services or features. Personally, even with all of the free goodies that you get from Extra and Premium, I think the Essential tier is where I top out at these current prices. The free games you get are fine, but if this is where things are going, I think I can live without them. Also, needing PS Plus for cloud saving is still... rough and Sony deleting those cloud saves if you forget to reup within six months is even rougher.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

How's their backwards compatibility these days? Are they adding things?

progamerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By progamerr

How well-maintained is backwards compatibility today? Are they making additions?

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AtheistPreacher

This obviously sucks, but I feel kind of stuck with it. Cloud saves are essential and being able to play most any game online at all requires at least the Essential tier. I've got too much invested in the Sony ecosystem to switch over to Xbox (not that I'm actually inclined to do so anyway).

So I decided to just pre-pay for a number of years out. My subscription had recently auto-renewed anyway; I added four more years and my next renewal is in mid-2028 (annoying that you can't seem to add more than one additional year at a time, I had to make four separate purchases). IDK, possible that they'll eventually add some sort of "Basic" tier with all the features I really need (cloud saves and online play), and that hence paying $60x4 will come back to bite me... but that's about the worst that could happen. I'd rather risk that scenario than have to start paying $80 as early as next year.

Yay four years for the price of three? *sigh*

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Oh well, things in general got more expensive.

HHAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I too have auto-renewal on, and been purchasing the PS subs whenever they go on sale to add to my current period. Hedged on myself that I will be using this service for years to come, so now renewed through 2026 with the old prices.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mellotronrules

yeah, it's a bummer- recurrent rev & subs (COUGH Universal Basic Income for Corpos COUGH) is our distopian future that all public businesses are marching towards, and subscriptions are DESIGNED this way. they either go up in price or belly-up when the business fails.

rabble-rabbling aside- there's usually seasonal sales where they knock 30ish USDs off (at least they have been doing thus far, one would sincerely hope it continues); and honestly even with Extra at the new annual price ($135 or $11.25ish a month); since June of last year i've been able to knock out:

• Returnal
  • Spider-Man Miles Morales
  • Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Death Stranding
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Deathloop
  • Chicory
  • Stray
  • Far Cry Blood Dragon
  • SUPERHOT
  • FF7 Remake
  • Demon Souls Remake
  • another run at Dead Cells
  • Tearaway Unfolded
  • Back for Blood
  • Thomas was Alone

so the value is defo there for me (for now), but might be the ultimate Your Mileage Will Vary depending on where you're at in games consumption. i also live in nyc where sandwiches can easily get you north of $11.25, so it's all down to your personal assessment.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@zombiepie:Wow, those pricing tiers. If it's possible, buy codes in Yen.

$80 ~ ¥11820, but that essential tier is only ¥6800, that's a $20 savings!

60 GBP ~ $75, so again more expensive to buy with USD

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By AV_Gamer

As someone who used the service for years now, even before the first price increase and the merge of both PS Plus and PS Now, this latest one is quite harsh. Hopefully, some kind of sale happens before my due date next April, otherwise I might have to down grade from Premium to just Essential, which alone is 80 dollars. Sad how cutthroat and greedy the video game industry has become.

PS Plus for the most part has been okay. The backwards compatibility can be stronger, but its there. It seems to take them time to convert classic games to be able to run using PS4/PS5 code. And them making AAA games available a year or so after release also isn't bad. If this price increase meant you can download PS3 games, instead of just streaming them, or the streaming itself was improved, as its weaker than Xbox Cloud streaming, then I might be okay with it. But if things stay the same, it would be a pity.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff00
spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

95 bucks in Canada now for Essential. Geeeeez. I bought Extra on the Black Friday sale for like 85 bucks last year. Might as well just spend a little more on Extra this year too since its gets way more stuff to play on the service. They really need to sort out a tier for people who just want cloud saves. Its getting gross at this point for folks that don't care about anything but that.