Retail Releases - Too long, too many features, too expensive.

davebgray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By davebgray

$60 is too much for me to pay for games.  I just don't think they're worth it and my gaming style doesn't get value from them.  I'd rather play a game and move on, instead of playing multiplayer for 100s of hours on the same game.  I get that people do that and enjoy it and that's great, but it sucks that I don't, but I still have to pay for it.  Just because I can potentially get tons of hours of gaming, it doesn't mean that it's worth it to me.

I am playing Darksiders now.  I'm about 15 hours in and I feel like I'm getting pretty close to the end.  I may have another few hours left, depending on if I get stuck somewhere.   ...but I'm DONE with this game.  I'm enjoying it, but I'd ready to finish it and for it to be over.  I think that we've demanded longer games for value, but that's like wanting longer movies for value.  It's a skewed sense of quality.

I think that we need to get away from the "all games cost 60 bucks" mentality.  If you want to have a COD game with all of these features for $60, go ahead, whatever.  ...but why can't I buy a sindle player only version for $30?  The worst offenders are single-player games that have no need for multiplayer at all, but that's another discussion.

At this point in my life, I'd rather play 10 hour experiences for 20 bucks.  That's where I am.   I get some of that from games like Shadow Complex, but it's a rare find.  My time is valuable and sludging through repetitive gameplay to build length is irritating.

How much are games worth to you?

--Dave

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Enigma777

Sounds like you need Gamefly...

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

You have the option to rent or buy used.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Sambambo

Sure you don't like mp, but I do. I've spent over 1000 hours on Gears of War 1 + 2, so for £100 ish with all the add ons it seems worth it.

But then again, £40 for a good 6 hours is also worth it to me...

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne

I am totally with you there, except that I do think a 10-hour single player experience can be worth 60 bucks, depending on the experience. 

Just do what I do: Buy the acclaimed or niche short games from 2-3 years back used and keep a close and open eye on the downloadable as well as the indie games market.  And buy the 1-2 major releases every year that are worth it.

davebgray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By davebgray
@Meowayne: 
That's pretty much what I do.  I just mean as an industry, I think they need to re-examine their pricing structure so that it makes sense.  $60 for all games is unsustainable, when you can buy quality games on the iPhone for a dollar.  ....not that console games need to cost a dollar, but there needs to be some form of variable pricing.  For me, personally, I just wait until stuff drops in price for niche games, I'll get 1-2 games a year for the full $60 where I anticipate taking full advantage of the features, and I'll grab a downloadable title in there, peppered with a few iPhone games.  That's my gaming year.

@Enigma777:
As for GameFly, I've thought about it, but I don't burn through games fast enough to justify it, because I'm a completionist and I very rarely stop playing a game without beating it.  I have a backlog of games as it is that I haven't even touched.   For $15 a month, that's $180 for the year.  Since I rarely buy full priced games, between the bargain bin, online sales, borrowing games from friends, and buying cheap handheld stuff, I think I can do better.  Plus, I really like beating a game that I enjoyed and then giving it to someone else to play.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iam3green

i do agree on one point the single player. it gets me mad when i buy a game for $60 to find out that the single player is only like 5 hours. i hate when that happens. it's to short of a game to pay for that much. call of duty doesn't bother me because the multiplayer is good. i think that if a game is going  to be single player then make the game about 12 hours +. i think that is a great point for a game to be long.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By ShadowSkill11

I'm not poor so $60 for console games and $50 or less for pc gaames means jack and shit to me. It sounds like the TC just needs to live within his means and rent games instead of buying them.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zeforgotten

If that's your playstyle then nobody is saying you HAVE to buy them when they cost $60.  
You can wait a month or 5 months and the games would be cheaper. 

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By MysteriousBob

Stop your god damn whining. Thats less than half than what we have to pay for games.

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By danimal_furry

You have some points. So does everyone else. I have some too. I buy used all of the time.
Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Faint
@davebgray said:
" $60 is too much for me to pay for games.   "

Australian Dollar 1:1 United States Dollar

Brand New Game Retail Price: $119.95
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#13  Edited By Icemael
I would be fucking ecstatic if I could buy brand new games for $60 where I live. 

Also: 
@ZeForgotten said:
" If that's your playstyle then nobody is saying you HAVE to buy them when they cost $60.  You can wait a month or 5 months and the games would be cheaper.  "
PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PillClinton

and next generation you'll have a $70 price tag to look forward to!  :D

StillVictor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By StillVictor
@Faint I'm sorry but if you're paying $120 bucks for new games you're buying them in the wrong place. Try JB Hi-Fi.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zeforgotten

$80-$90 for a game around here. (console)  
You don't see us whining about prices but then again our economy might be very different and we have jobs

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ramone
@MysteriousBob: Where the hell are you from?
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I understand your problem but this isn't about a mentality, this is a fact of the industry, it's just not financially viable for publishers to release a single-player version of all the games they put out so they're not going too.

Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By LordCmdrStryker

I want to stave off the Angry-Birds-ifying of the games industry for as long as possible, so I will continue to pay $60 for my games and like it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

If you prefer iPhone games to something as great as Darksiders, I'm not sure you and I can really agree on much.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Faint
@StillVictor said:
" @Faint I'm sorry but if you're paying $120 bucks for new games you're buying them in the wrong place. Try JB Hi-Fi. "
I'll admit that JB HiFi are generally better, but the video game stores in 'GAME' and 'EB Games' carry the 119.95 stigma, which is why I said that. JB has been pretty crap lately anyway. Pre-Owned games for up to 70 dollars that came out almost a year ago! woohoo! bargain!