Retropie Newbie looking for help

Gfeltner78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey hey,

A few weeks ago I got a Raspberry Pi 3 and loaded it Retropie and some roms. I thought it would be a great thing to show my kids games I played growing up. I have a nascent video game collection...but the going is slow in that dept. and getting more expensive by the day.

I was disappointed right off the bat with some serious lag. Here is my set-up:

RetroPie running via HDMI into a switch box and then the switch box to 55in LG. My other new consoles run without issue.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Gabe

ThatRoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hi there. Have you tried directly from the Pi into the TV, just for comparison? I assume the other consoles have no lag through the same switch?

Some TVs have low latency settings, like a "Game" mode or whatever it may be called, does your TV have something like that?

I don't have one yet, but I'm planning on doing the same thing, getting Retropie on the Pi 3. Watching Jeff dive into C64 games last month has whipped my nostalgia into a frenzy. :)

Good luck sorting it out.

Avatar image for rocketblast0063
rocketblast0063

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well, a while ago I tried out emulation on both the rasp 1 and 2. NES games ran nicely but certain SNES did not so I gave up that idea. The problems were slowdowns and input lag, and iirc some sound issues when the pi couldn't keep up.

So, what games (platforms) did you test? Did all games run like crap or just certain ones at certain platforms? You could try (if possible) and turn on frame skipping and go over the settings for the emulator(s). But in my opinion, it's not worth it. The Raspberry Pi is great for a lot of stuff (GPU accelerated video for example), but not so much at emulating games.