Run 2 The Hills announced (Jan and Jess are playing Silent HIll 2)

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#1 FinalDasa  Moderator

As someone who stays far, far away from scary games due to...being...way too brave....I'm excited to see deeper into the Silent HIll franchise. I think Silent Hill 2 is when the series hits a groove?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Humanity

SH2 and SH3 are the best in the franchise and then it’s a steep plummet in quality afterwards. SH2 is very much it’s own thing but SH3 has direct ties to the first game so it’s a good thing they played through it if they ever decide to keep going with the series.

maian1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Very excited for this. As someone who completely missed the boat on the Silent Hill series when I was a teen (because I was also, uh, brave, yeah, brave) but has always found the mood and the aesthetics super cool and interesting, I really loved the run through the first game and can't wait to see them journey through the second.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The really could have just left the number off and gave Silent Hill 2 a subtitle instead (let's say, like the OG xbox release had, Silent Hill: Restless Dreams) and called Silent Hill 3 as Silent Hill 2. But anyway, yeah 2 (and then 3) are the highlights of the series. Fair warning though Silent Hill 2 goes to some real dark places that not a lot of video games even attempt to go for, and it handles them well, but still, it's a very depressing game.

denisxcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait. SH2 is one of my favorite games of all time!

Soot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So stoked for this! VB has the best insight and Jan's reactions are always priceless.

donutello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm also guilty of being too brave!

Seriously super excited for this, i'm a big fan of a publisher Kobombi.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Another brave person here who was too not-scared to play more than a few hours of SH2. Looking forward to this!

I’d love to see them dip into when the series gets bad, if only so we can see the arc of the franchise. Jess’ expert opinion would be a good explainer on why the thing we’re watching went off the rails.

Avatar image for fractal_seaweed
fractal_seaweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I do hope they bring up content warnings. There are a few intense scenes in this one.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fractal_seaweed: I do think Jess talked a bit about that in the last SH video the did when discussing on whether to do 2 or not, so I think she probably will give out some warnings before stuff like the Angela scenes and the video tape reveal.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m very happy to see this, though I knew that they would have to do SH2. I mean, c’mon, it’s THE Silent Hill game, the most defining of the series, and one of the most influential horror games ever made. Two second after the announced Jess was hired, I figured they would play this. The fact that they played through SH1 is what was more surprising, honestly.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

I'm playing through Silent Hill 2 for the first time myself.

I can't say I was ready for what it's doing, but I love the nightmare-like quality of the whole thing.

Also I'm FUCKING THRILLED, "Run to the Hills" is one of my favorite series from Giant Bomb in a minute.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

I completed Silent Hill 2 for the first time last year because of... bravery and it holds up surprisingly well for being survival horror. I normally just play those games just to say I did, but this one actually kept me interested and I only got stuck a handful of times. I think seeing Jan play this one is gonna be neat.

LexyconDevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LexyconDevil

I remember playing the game and feeling sweaty and nervous even though I knew for a fact there wasn't any jump scares or powerful enemies beyond the creepoids wandering the streets out to get you. It has an amazingly oppressive and scary atmosphere without ever being a spooky haunted house sort of game--it kinda sticks with you after you play but more so, I just remember feeling like it's... it's like you're stuck in a scary as fuck abandoned town and you don't know what's around the corner, even if you're as aware as possible that this is a game and you already know what to expect.

It's basically perfect Let's Play material because it's an oppressive feeling game to play and it'll be even better with two people commenting/playing because it's so depressing as well! I stopped at the Historical Society/Prison because it was just... it was just so depressing down there, jfc!

It's a phenomenally unique game in that even though SH1 and SH3 are great, they have great atmospheres, they're a little less creepy to me because SH2 a lot of the times takes place during the day time, and you're entering these extremely dark buildings, or suddenly you realize you're in the other dimension because everything is rusty and dark now. So to me it's somehow the most brutalizing oppressive atmosphere that honestly I don't think any game in the series can compete with--it's some kinda magic that I can be fully spoiled and aware of what the game is and what it's doing and STILL GET QUITE CREEPED OUT! SH3 by comparison feels slightly more light as you really relate to Heather and she's funny and sardonic and a great main character, even though sad shit happens you just can really use her as a source for comfort because she's by far the Best Silent Hill Protag Ever, and with the first game it's just less graphically detailed and very dark and nighttime so much of the time that I can see getting freaked out but like... again, Harry is a main character you can sort of pin your hopes on, and the endings to the game IMO are all much more optimistic than the best ending you get in SH2. I think SH2 is particularly oppressive because James feels weird and disconnected from the player in a way where he's not reliable for comfort, he himself is such a question and a ponderance that I don't know what comfort you can glean from the game until you know it like the back of your hand, I guess. Also there's probably never been as nuanced and complex of a main protag in a video game as James Sutherland, so there you go.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By htr10

I say this with the utmost appreciation and respect. About fucking time.

Consider me excited. Thank you Jan and Jess.

czircon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone mansplain the cover art to me? What version of the game is that based on?