#1  Edited By runnah555

runnah555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By runnah555

What a scam. I am so done with DLC/Season passes.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By EarlessShrimp

Yup, that's definitely a poll.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By sumbog

Why do you hate them so much?

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EarlessShrimp

@Sumbog said:

I had just come back to add this question too my post, excellent work sir.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By laserbolts

They are an option so I don't see the problem with it. I rarely do buy the DLC for a game unless I absolutely love it. In that case DLC is awesome. I guess I'm dumb?

runnah555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By runnah555

@Sumbog said:

It's a scam. Adding up the dlc and season passes and you are well over $100 for one game. It's taking advantage of the consumer by leaving out content to only charge them for it again later on.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@runnah555 said:

@Sumbog said:

It's a scam. Adding up the dlc and season passes and you are well over $100 for one game. It's taking advantage of the consumer by leaving out content to only charge them for it again later on.

Once you buy the DLCS you dont need to get the season pass. 
Avatar image for a_talking_donkey
A_Talking_Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By A_Talking_Donkey

It's not a scam though. You're paying for content you wouldn't have without the DLC most of the time.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ajamafalous

Sup Tom McShea 

Do we need to get Ryan back in here?

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EarlessShrimp

@The_Laughing_Man: and further you don't have to buy every bit of dlc ever. Unless you're already planning on it in which case you drop like 30 bucks on the season pass and it saves you, what, at least 10 bucks in a worst case scenario?

runnah555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By runnah555

My point is that it's a money making trick. Lock out content on the disc and then charge people for it after you already payed $60. Look at Forza 4, currently there are near 10 dlc car packs, that's almost $100 worth of dlc that should come with the game.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Ravenlight

I would buy a Cheesburger pass.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By AngelN7

Don't want them? don't buy it ...easy.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By iamjohn

I am glad to see the correct answer is winning.

@runnah555 said:

My point is that it's a money making trick. Lock out content on the disc and then charge people for it after you already payed $60. Look at Forza 4, currently there are near 10 dlc car packs, that's almost $100 worth of dlc that should come with the game.

So you think Expansion packs are also a scam and content that should've been in the game in the first place, right?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By falserelic

I'm going have to go with cheeseburger because I'm kinda hungry right now....

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RE_Player1

I'm going to have a radical opinion here... some season passes are a good deal and some are bad.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

@runnah555 said:

Companies wanting to make money?! I'm shocked, utterly shocked!

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By salarn

@runnah555 said:

@Sumbog said:

If only it was that simple.

Cost != Quality != Quantity != Immediacy

You don't have to buy any entertainment that you don't want. With few exceptions you can get any game for 50% off within the first 90 days if you keep your eyes out for it, there are even websites that will watch and email you when a game/DLC reaches a certain price point.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By shinboy630

@runnah555 said:

@Sumbog said:

I paid less than $60 total for Borderlands 2 + The Season Pass. GMG Coupon codes and sales.

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cleric22

@msavo said:

I'm going to have a radical opinion here... some season passes are a good deal and some are bad.

That's crazy talk!

Seriously though, DLC is MOSTLY good stuff. In the case of games like GTA or Mass Effect it's a way to bridge the gap between games. It's nice to know that there will be DLC down the line to reinterest me in a game. Dawnguard got me back into Skyrim, and years ago it was way cool to be able to buy more heroes for Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. (Which i started again because of Avengers). If you're going to have a poll, at least try and make it unbiased. That said, the GB community is the best on the internet!

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By EpicSteve

You don't have to buy all of a games content.

xerxes8933a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xerxes8933a

I bought the Borderlands 2 Season Pass, because I bought all the DLC for Borderlands 1 and plan on doing the same for 2. I would also have bought Season Passes for Skyrim, New Vegas, Mass Effect 2 and the like if they had been available. The only Issue I have with them, is that most of the time they are only for games I don't plan on buying DLC for.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Marcsman

Not of fan of season passes. Bought too many shitty DLCs. I am not a believer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think the people have spoken. Democracy works.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Chummy8

I rarely buy games at full price and usually am a year or 2 behind with games. That way, I can buy the GOTY version of the game with all the DLC included at $40 or so. That's much more my speed.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By phantomzxro

Lack of a middle ground option for the poll but some are good some are bad. Season passes I'm a bit more on the fence since i feel like its always a bit of a gamble on what you get and if its worth your early investment.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Grillbar

i think its fine if you don't like em then don't buy em' easy

if there's a game you really like you can buy the dlc, and a season pass makes you save money if you where to buy em all.

and no in most cases they don't sell stuff as dlc that should belong on the disc. in most cases they actually work on the dlc after they are done with the game.

you don't have an entitlement to that content no matter how much you cry about it.

ill say again dont like it dont buy it.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By iamjohn

@phantomzxro said:

Lack of a middle ground option for the poll but some are good some are bad. Season passes I'm a bit more on the fence since i feel like its always a bit of a gamble on what you get and if its worth your early investment.

There's a perfect middle ground option for this poll that perfectly befits this thread. It's called "Never make a poll again" and it's probably the most correct poll choice I've seen in a long time.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By toowalrus

'sfine.

treythalomew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By treythalomew

I think a lot of people don't get that Season Passes are for fans of the series. I'll be getting the Halo 4 Season Pass because I'm a huge fan of Halo and know that I will be getting all the dlc anyways. I won't be getting the season pass for Forza Horizon even though I'll probably get the game. It is like a little thank you for the fans who would be there day one for all the dlc anyways.

runnah555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By runnah555

@Salarn said:

You don't have to buy any entertainment that you don't want. With few exceptions you can get any game for 50% off within the first 90 days if you keep your eyes out for it, there are even websites that will watch and email you when a game/DLC reaches a certain price point.

Well I know that. It's the point that $60 for most people isn't some trivial sum. Then to turn around and say "oh hey here is a bunch of cool shit that you can't have even though you paid for the game already" is just shitty annoying and explotative.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Icemo

Why did you even make this poll in the first place if you decided to include "Never make a poll again"-option in it, knowing that it would be the obvious winner?

stalefishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By stalefishies

While season passes (and DLC in general really) are totally fine if done well, I feel like I can understand why people don't like them. After all, if you are releasing your product with a bunch of DLC beside it, either as a season pass or as day-one DLC, it's hard not to feel a little bit like the product is devalued simply by the fact that they're advertising stuff you won't get in your usual $60 purchase, even if the product is totally worth $60 on its own. This is especially true when a consumer has to make a value judgement on a game without playing it, or having only played a short demo, as you probably know as many of the back-of-box feature bullet points for what you won't get as for what you will. I think publishers really need to have a defter hand when advertising DLC.

Not to say that all DLC is evil or anything, like I said, DLC is totally fine if done right, and I feel it generally is, for the most part.

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By salarn

@runnah555 said:

@Salarn said:

Well I know that. It's the point that $60 for most people isn't some trivial sum. Then to turn around and say "oh hey here is a bunch of cool shit that you can't have even though you paid for the game already" is just shitty annoying and explotative.

No, it's not exploitative. You are not being unfairly used for profit, if these purchases were mandatory and you had to buy them then you would be being exploited.

Is it annoying? That varies by person, the market shows that more than enough people make DLC profitable, you may not fall into that group, but you don't have to.

Everything goes on sale, often within the first 90 days of release. You'll be able to get the new Fortza (or whatever) for much cheaper than $60 new and sealed if you wait just a few months.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By Vinny_Says

If you somehow believe that games like Skyrim, or Gears of War 3 or Forza 4 aren't packed with $60 worth of content on the disc then I don't know what to tell you.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Milkman

There's good DLC and there's bad DLC. There are season passes worth your money. There are season passes not worth your money. This isn't that hard to understand.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By iam3green

i think it's a scam. i don't really like the DLC that comes out for a game. i think map packs for games are kind of worth it as it adds more stuff to the game. it adds kind of more into the game. i've said this before i bought fable 2 DLC. i don't remember which one it was but the one where you had to buy the snowglobe things. i didn't think that was worth it. i played it for 2 hours and beat it. it wasn't worth it think. the other one was pretty good.

i think season passes are bigger scam. you buy $50 season pass which you don't even know how many content your going to get. they can release only 3 things worth $30.

i don't buy DLC too much. i don't like it as you can see.

@runnah555: whats your avatar from?

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Pinworm45

I'm not impressed so far. I hated the saints row DLC, and I'm just too skeptical of borderlands. I kind of regret Battlefield Premium. Paying up front for a promise of something later means they can be lazy. They might not always be lazy, but they can be, and it makes me skeptical. I think I am done with them.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By Genkkaku

@runnah555 said:

@Salarn said:

Try be Australian and pay $100 for a game.. I have no problem with DLC, it never feels like something that was left out of the game, and if there offering me more of a game I enjoyed I can dig that

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By colourful_hippie

@msavo said:

Boom. /thread

Fuck this poll.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Meltac

There's really only one correct answer in this poll.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By phantomzxro

@iAmJohn said:

@phantomzxro said:

There's a perfect middle ground option for this poll that perfectly befits this thread. It's called "Never make a poll again" and it's probably the most correct poll choice I've seen in a long time.

lol you are right and its the choice i picked

Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Silvergun

So let's talk about some basic project management.

In any given project, you have three main factors influencing how it is completed, time (release date), scope (features) and resources (budget). When you start a project, in this case, a game, you're going to create your project plan with all three in mind. Basically, with X budget, we can release a game with Y features on Z release date. However, project plans never go perfectly, and chances are that things will occur that will push your completion date back.

This is where the project managers need to make decisions about the project. They can either push back the release date, or cut features or run over their budget (overtime, more staff, etc) to release on time. Depending on the company, the priorities can vary. With something like Assassin's Creed, which Ubisoft seems dedicated to releasing a game every year, chances are that they aren't going to budge on the date, so they're either going to have to cut features or increase the budget of the project. Blizzard and Valve on the other hand, are uncompromising on their project scopes, and aren't willing to dilute their talent pool by mass hiring to get projects out the door, so they are most flexable on time.

To go back to the Assassin's Creed analogy, let's say you're making AC3 and for whatever reason, you find yourself in a situation where you aren't going to make your Q4 release window. Ubisoft is going to come down on you like a ton of bricks if that game isn't on the shelves by Christmas, so you're stuck either cutting features, or increasing the budget.

If you cut features, you're going to find yourself with a bunch of assets that you've paid people to create, but cannot ship with the game. This is wasted money, so you can't just throw them away, but at the same time, it will cost you more money still to get them into playable form. In the meantime, your staff is too busy getting the game ready to ship to do anything about them, so they'll have to be something you deal with once the game has gone gold. Thus, you put them in the DLC bin, and use the money from them to recoup their cost. A good example of this is how Gearbox is handling the new class for Borderlands 2.

The other scenario is similar. If you want that content ready to ship with the game, you start paying people overtime, bring on temps, and basically pay for the additional hours of work needed to get the content ready for launch. However, you've now exceeded your budget and your boss isn't happy. You need to recoup your costs, so either this content, or something else, gets paired out and released as DLC to help make up for the extra costs the project has incured. This helps explain some on-disc DLC.

In some cases too, people just get greedy and compromise the product to make an extra buck. The point of this is, DLC is done for very practical purposes, not become some moustached villain in management is wringing his hands and caclking as he devises new ways to pull one over on the hapless consumer.

Avatar image for a_talking_donkey
A_Talking_Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By A_Talking_Donkey

Actually, I think the OP missed a very important question worth asking. What is really 60 dollars worth of game? What is a complete game? Can an expandable game ever be complete by definition? If a game is inherently expandable does that mean it's always a ripoff?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Dalai

You had me at cheeseburger.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By hippie_genocide

I have no problem with DLC. If you feel something is not worth the cost, you can (and should) refrain from purchasing it. In theory, I feel the same about season passes, but a few games fuck this up. The name implies that you'd get all DLC for that game at a reduced price than if you had purchased them all piecemeal. But some games (ahem, Forza 4), only include DLC for a period of time in their season pass, after which you have to pay full price for all subsequent DLC. This is misleading and wrong.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By Snail

At least he put the "Never Make a Poll Again" option there.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By hawkinson76

I am cheap and always wait for sales, which usually means getting the GOTY edition with all the DLC. I've never played them through. The main game, there is an arc, raising action, falling action, etc. DLC is just filler, and games are long enough as it is, they just haven't held my interest. And if there is a really good piece of story in there, well, I'm just going to miss it. Should have saved it for the sequel.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By Hizang

They seem like a good deal, but in reality you would have moved on from playing that game and possibly have no interest in coming back.