Sessler & co. tweet about "bad news" concerning the industry

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Oh no, these dudes tweeted something vague that was clearly on their minds and troubling them? Maybe we just shouldn't worry about it then and leave them alone, then? Oh right, forgot this was the video game community. We have to vilify them and lose our shit over it.

Shameful

Oh please.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Some might say he's Too Human

No Caption Provided

You have my chuckles

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#954  Edited By Milkman

@hailinel said:

@pillclinton said:

Well, I happen to still like Sessler, despite fully acknowledging this was indeed a massive shit show. I don't know why anyone's surprised, though. Sessler's always struck me as incredibly manic, impulsive, and boisterous. That's why I like when he's a guest on other shows I watch; in small doses.

Also, this industry. THIS INDUSTRY.

He might be OK in small doses, but that doesn't necessarily make him good at what he gets paid to do, particularly when he tries to paint himself as a voice of reason on a soapbox. He's an impulsive, foolish man, and the sooner that game media (criticism, commentary, journalism) moves away from foolishness such as his, the better off it will all be.

Oh, please. Chill out. His tweets (whatever they were about) were clearly a bad idea. But "a foolish man?" He's one of the most respected personalities in this industry. Give me a break with this shit.

Sessler and Gies clearly started this bullshit but it took a bunch of childish, reactionary people on the internet to make it the huge deal it apparently is. Why this conversation is still happening, I have no fucking clue but everyone looks like a goddamn idiot right now.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@milkman said:

@hailinel said:

@pillclinton said:

Well, I happen to still like Sessler, despite fully acknowledging this was indeed a massive shit show. I don't know why anyone's surprised, though. Sessler's always struck me as incredibly manic, impulsive, and boisterous. That's why I like when he's a guest on other shows I watch; in small doses.

He might be OK in small doses, but that doesn't necessarily make him good at what he gets paid to do, particularly when he tries to paint himself as a voice of reason on a soapbox. He's an impulsive, foolish man, and the sooner that game media (criticism, commentary, journalism) moves away from foolishness such as his, the better off it will all be.

Oh, please. Chill out. His tweets (whatever they were about) were clearly a bad idea. But "a foolish man?" He's one of the most respected personalities in this industry. Give me a break with this shit.

Sessler and Gies clearly started this bullshit but it took a bunch of childish, reactionary people on the internet to make it the huge deal it apparently is. Why this conversation is still happening, I have no fucking clue but everyone looks like a goddamn idiot right now.

I actually never had that much respect for him and never understood why he was deserving of respect. He always seemed like a clown to me.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@milkman said:

@hailinel said:

@pillclinton said:

I actually never had that much respect for him and never understood why he was deserving of respect. He always seemed like a clown to me.

He is a clown. But he's OUR clown.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well he is a bit clownish.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@fram: isn't that absolute statement? It's like, "all generalizations are false," which is a generalization.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b79d679a32e
deactivated-58b79d679a32e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody gives a shit about Sessler's overpaid ass. He can cry to his butler. We're just "consumers"
Get a life.

bluetorchtv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#960  Edited By bluetorchtv

I would be willing to bet my lunch money that what had Sessler, and to a less extent, Gies flipping tables on Twitter Saturday, were delay(s) from Microsoft and/or Sony to get major outlets finalized (day one patched) builds of hardware OS's. With Sony recently revealing that the PS4 will have a significant day one patch to enable many of its new and "core" features, it wouldn't surprise me if reviewers now have to wait until closer to launch to get their hands on the new bells, whistles, and features of these new platforms (ya know, like twitch streaming or even multiplayer functionality). Jeff has said it more than once that, "these systems are coming in hot."

It's possible, however, less likely that Sessler's twantrum could have been ignited over a delay(s) of review builds of games being sent out. IE: Thought you had 2 1/2 weeks to review Killzone?? Ha ha, nope! Try only 4 days... or something akin to that nature.

Time that reviewers had to capture, edit and do voice over's for video content of new hardware/features and/or games, was shortened, and judging by the level of bitching on the Sess's behalf, most likely was shortened significantly. Don't have video-reviews (the most clicked on; profitable type of review coverage(I think?)) ready to post when embargo's go up? Say goodbye to all that add generated revenue that keeps your website up and running.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No Caption Provided

These guys are bums. Here's some naked cartoon pussy to cheer ya'll up. This site is chock full of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@afrofools said:

@example1013 said:

This is all the best of the internet in one place. Well, except for naked cartoon pussy. There's none of that here.

Yet.

Now there is.

No Caption Provided

That's not a cartoon.

Fixed:

No Caption Provided

lukos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#963  Edited By lukos
sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

The funniest part about all of this is Arthur Gies telling people on Twitter that what he puts on Twitter isn't for them. You know, instead of PMing someone a message he blasts it to everyone and then expects people to not respond. Shawn Elliot had to put him in his place.

I have no sympathy. Does it suck? Yup, but honestly I don't go to most of those sites for coverage anyway. Also, I will be too busy playing my PS4 and watching launch coverage on Giant Bomb. Also, the fact people think they need video footage to supplement a video review shows how weak their coverage actually is that they cannot rely on theirspoken words.If they need to pad out a review with random game footage then they should find a better way to provide their content.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#965  Edited By chiablo
@lukos said:

Well just saw this:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/8371-Cloak-and-Dagger

it seams that the problem is that Sony wants press to go to NY and review the hardware in a controlled enviroment. (jim says it at 4 minutes)

I honestly wouldn't trust any journalist with a review of pre-release hardware. I much prefer Giant Bomb's approach of messing around with the hardware on launch day and showing the raw experience from a true first time use standpoint. If someone is picking up the hardware on launch day, I can't think of anything anyone can say to deter them, especially from a controlled event.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@chiablo: Jeff's COD: Ghost review reflects hardware played at a controlled event. So...?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@hailinel said:

@chiablo: Jeff's COD: Ghost review reflects hardware played at a controlled event. So...?

The review acknowledges that he played the PS4 version but doesn't factor that into the score.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

#968  Edited By ManMadeGod

@hailinel said:

@milkman said:

@hailinel said:

@pillclinton said:

Agree 100%. People just assert that he is "one of the most respected personalities" and give zero justification as to why. Sessler was always a clown, even on that TV show.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

So has anyone found out what the tweets were talking about? This is really starting to grind my gears.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@levio said:

So has anyone found out what the tweets were talking about? This is really starting to grind my gears.

IF we believe Jim Sterling what I would personally do it was about having to go to New York to a PS4 hardware review event in a more controlled environment so people can answer questions etc and then at the end take a PS4 back home instead of Sony only sending one to them.

Mocca_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#972  Edited By Mocca_Bear

I really don't see what the issue is with the Sony NY event to be honest. Doubt that was what the tweets were about considering the theatricality. Either that or some people need to reevaluate their priorities, I mean damn :S

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@levio said:

It was just gas.

manicraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#974  Edited By manicraider

The tweets either have something to do with some backstage politics and Adam was letting off some steam or he's finally starting to lose it. I doubt it's the Sony thing because he was talking about quitting and being ashamed of the industry. It would have to had been something more extreme.