Should I get Super Mario World or Super Metroid?

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should I get Super Mario World or Super Metroid? (114 votes)

Super Mario World 45%
Super Metroid 56%

So I've been playing a bunch of Symphony of the Night lately, currently a bit into the inverted castle, and am having an absolute blast. Between this and Mega Man 2, I've realized I can actually old games I didn't play growing up and have zero nostalgia for.

I've heard great things about both of these games, and they're both available on the Wii Shop for the same price. So, which one should I play first?

• 
TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Since all I have to go by is the fact that you're loving Symphony of the Night... I would go with Super Metroid. There is no SotN without the groundwork of Super Metroid.

Super Mario World is a fine pick if you want something lighter. A nice platforming to play around with. Though, with SotN and Mega Man 2, it sounds like you're wanting a slightly different experience right now.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

SMW will grant you fun time for a long long time.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By TobbRobb

Dude if you like SotN, then definitely Super Metroid. No contest.

Though this is coming from someone who thinks Mario is boring as shit and list the other two games as some of my favorites of all time. So yeah. XD

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hard choice right there,both classics. And Super Metroid is only hated by a single person in the known universe: Jeff.

If you really like the Mario franchise as a whole: Take Super Mario World

If you heard terms like 'Metroidvania' and want to know what all the fuss is about: take Super Metroid.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Both, but play SMW first. It'll be a nice break from the metroidvania style before you double down on Super Metroid.

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you happen to have a wiiu I think super metroid is going to be on sale for .30 cents soon so you might just want to wait on that.

You can't go wrong with either game, but if I had to choose Id say Metroids gameplay feels fresher and holds up better since you likely haven't played this type of game as much as platformers.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By pr1mus

Super Metroid and then Super Mario World.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Mario World is one of, if not the, greatest games ever made.

People will say this about Super Metroid, but I was never a fan of all that wandering around in caves.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

Get both and have two of the best games ever made.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GabrielCantor

Alright, looks like I'll probably pick up Super Metroid first and then Super Mario World later, since I definitely plan on playing both sooner or later.

Just finished SotN (more or less, not the whole 200.6%, but over 196%), and I'm curious, are there any other really good Metroidvania-style games that aren't actually Metroid or Castlevania games? I've played Dust: An Elysian Tail which was what made me really how much I enjoy this style.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrfluke

@epidehl: you might also wanna look at batman arkham aslyum and shadow complex.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I love me some Mario games but Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time. You also mentioned enjoying SotN, so Super Metroid is something you should probably play.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke: Arkham Asylum I've played, but Shadow Complex I'll have to check out. I listened to the Bombcasts from when it came out not too long ago, but totally forgot about it.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given your liking for metroidvania style gameplay then pick Super Metroid, that game was one of the best atmospheric games of the 16 bit era.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#17  Edited By Slag

Given that you like Castlevania, and the Super Metroid is arguably the best game ever in that style and obviously in it's series. I'd say Super Metroid.

Super Mario World is pretty dang good too, Although I tend to think Super Mario Bros. 3 is a little better.

hard to go with either though

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By FancySoapsMan

SMW is pretty much the best thing to ever happen to platformers.

You definitely need to get on that shit some day.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Metroid for sure. There's a reason so many games have tried to copy it.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By TheFreeMan

Super Metroid is incredible. If you're really digging Symphony of the Night, then I'd say go for SM because that game is top notch in its genre.

I was never too much of a fan of SMW until recently when my brothers and I sat down and played it start to finish in one day on two player. It's pretty damn good, too, and I'm not even that big into the 2D Mario platformers. I feel like you can't go wrong with either of these.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember loving Super Mario World, and it was one of the best things about going to visit my cousin as a kid. My vote's for that.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

As much as I fucking love Super Mario World, it is a tad overrated. It's just piss easy compared to SMB3 and the only challenging parts are the special worlds you unlock after doing the Star world thing. I'd go for Super Metroid, it's a wonderful game.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Both are great games and choosing either of the two are fine, but I have a pro Super Metroid bias so go get Super Metroid.

dilla7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get both theyre classics

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of either of them. I've never cared too much for Super Mario World, even when it first came out. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't hold a candle to SMB3 and I think it's one of the most overrated Mario games (along with Super Mario Galaxy).

I never really got into Metroid until Metroid Prime, which was quite the masterpiece. Went back and played Super Metroid later, but I just never really got into it. I had beaten Metroid: Zero Mission on Game Boy Advance about 3 times before I played Super Metroid, so I think that may be a factor. Zero Mission is a remake of the original Metroid, but as far as I can tell from what I played of Super Metroid, even it seems to be pretty much a remake of the original as well. Zero Mission may have spoiled me with it's modern day mapping and objectives and such, though I certainly couldn't argue that Super Metroid is in any way a bad game. It just didn't capture me like I thought it would.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By JasonR86

You couldn't have picked two more different games. I would say Super Metroid but I could totally see someone saying Mario. If you like 2D platformers more then exploration-based adventure games then get Mario. If you like exploring get Super Metroid.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Easy, play both in unison

You're talking 2 of the top 10 games ever made here; it shouldn't really matter which one you play first o.O Personally I'd do SMW first since it would be a departure and then a return to form with Super Metroid.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are loving SOTN then you should move onto the game that inspired it's structure. These games made the "Metroidvania" style of games. Both should be played, that said you can not go wrong with either of them, they are both amazing titles worth your time and money.