Should I trade in my PS4 towards the PS4 Pro GOW Bundle?

Aeleby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should I trade in my PS4 towards the PS4 Pro GOW Bundle? (102 votes)

Yes, buy it now 44%
No, just wait until you have a 4K TV 45%
Wait for the PS5 11%

Right now Gamestop is offering $170 for a PS4 trade-in. Should I trade mine in for a Pro Bundle??

• I DO NOT have a 4K TV, and don't plan on buying one this year (even though I really want a LG OLED)
  • I am going to buy GOW on Friday
  • There's going to be a GOW bundle for $399
 • 
Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yes.

Aeleby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there any graphical advantage? I have a Panasonic 50" ST60

Avatar image for thievingsince95
thievingsince95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been considering doing the same thing, but I don't have a 4K set either, so I don't feel I need it. I have a high end PC though so if you don't and PS4 is your primary platform then it may be worth it. I can envision a price drop on Pros at e3 this year though, so something else to consider.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@aeleby: "

• "I DO NOT have a 4K TV, and don't plan on buying one this year (even though I really want a LG OLED)"

Then no.

Napstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted yes. If I could trade in my old PS4 for a PS4 pro with a brand new game included I would do it in a heartbeat. (if I had the $170).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Humanity

Apart from the fact that the GOW edition PS4 is god ugly then sure why not. You'll get the benefit of better performance on most games, and a lot of people seem to say they prefer to put games into performance mode over quality when given the option.

I got the game early and have been playing it on my launch PS4 and I'm happy to report that the performance is absolutely fine which is something I was worried about. AC Origins ran rather poorly on my PS4, with a lot of significant framerate dips in combat. GoW plays at a relatively steady 30 FPS, with some dips here and there but never to the point where I thought it was really noticable. It's also really gorgeous even on my regular PS4 and regular ol' Sony Bravia 1080 TV so I can only imagine how great it looks in 4K. Fortunately first party Sony releases tend to look great and play great.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

To me, the answer to "should I buy item X" is, if you are in a financial position to do so, and you want it, yes. If you don't have the internal justification for making a purchase, I would avoid asking others to justify it for you, because you may not ultimately be happy if it is financially burdensome, or you are dissatisfied with performance, etc.

But, the real issue, as @humanity notes, is that it looks terrible. Can you tolerate it in your living room? I would do exactly what you're thinking about if it was a stock black Pro.

Matticus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for the wait until you have a 4k tv option, because that's exactly what I'm doing. If they have not announced a new PS by then I'll probably grab this or another bundle.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Neurogia

Definitely do the trade in.

The PS4 Pro just had an update a few weeks ago where it supersamples the 4k rez on screens that have smaller resolutions.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I'm probably gonna pick up a ps4 pro just for Yakuza 6 because man that demo is heck of choppy, and Y2 is in the same engine. I'll gladly take some more stable framerates at 1080.

thatbendorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, mostly because it looks pretty slick!

No Caption Provided

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@ralphmoustaccio: Why they didn't make it ash white with the Kratos red tattoo design sleekly going over the top like it does over his eye and shoulder is absolutely beyond me. Not sure who signed off on the way it does look, but it couldn't have been anyone with any artistic proclivities. I get that the game features a lot of runes, but man.. not like this.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would wait till e3 and see if there is any truth to the ps5 rumour. I haven't read anything about it running or looking bad on a base and no 60fps on a pro so i dont see much of a point in upgrading for this game atm. Downscaling will probably look better but i wouldnt spend 200+ for that.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If your TV has HDR then go for it, otherwise I would wait.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By meteora3255

@oursin_360: How did I not realize this? That's exciting news to me.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By OurSin_360

@meteora3255: lol yeah you have to enable some settings and have a good hdmi cable etc. It honestly looks pretty damn good on most games, only uncharted 4 looks a bit washed out imo. But i have only tried that and injustice 2 (best looking console game i have seen imo) and i believe imfamous

punisherkaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

There all sold out in my area but if they weren't I'd do it. 170 bucks seems reasonable for an upgrade

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I don't have a 4k TV or a pro and video games have been just fine.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted no but honestly if you're GOING to get a 4K tv at some point then yeah? You still get some upgrades. You'll still get the framerate upgrades for any game that supports that.

Wish I could take my vote back.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meteora3255: lol yeah you have to enable some settings and have a good hdmi cable etc. It honestly looks pretty damn good on most games, only uncharted 4 looks a bit washed out imo. But i have only tried that and injustice 2 (best looking console game i have seen imo) and i believe imfamous

I think injustice 2 on ps4 pro was the first time I was like whoa....4K HDR is really quite a thing

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, Pro doesn't even seem like that big of an upgrade to the ps4. Especially if you don't have a 4k TV