Should we allow custom servers in our console games?

Ryzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ryzon

I had just been playing Battlefield 3 on my console online, and your getting into a match and you get kicked for no apparent reason. As I looked closely at the server, it stated i wasn't allowed a particular weapon.

I understand rules like these being implemented into PC games because PC gamers are use to it, but should we let servers like these infect consoles as well? Consoles tend to have alot more 'casual' players and consoles seem to be the go to things when you just want to relax, however as soon as you start putting server rules and custom servers into games where people can get kicked at a moments notice, seems to counteract what a console is designed for.

So what do you think guys? Are you more then happy to accept the rules and allow custom servers into our games, or do you not like to adjust your gameplay style based on somebody else's preference, and just play your way?

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There are official Dice servers on the console for Battlefield 3. Usually can get a good game going on them during the evening and weekends. I hate the custom servers in the game because I have been kicked for no reason a few times or switched to the losing team before the game ends.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

I think all games, PC and console, should have matchmaking that avoids any "non-vanilla" servers, but I also think there either needs to be a "random custom rules" matchmaking or a server list. Server lists are better because you can see what you're about to get into. Battlefield 3 just does a shit job of communicating that stuff on consoles.

You think that's annoying, try playing on random servers in ArmA 2. I have to have like three different presets for mod loadouts for every "chunk" of servers. A lot of servers don't bother to allow mods like JSRS which is just a sound mod to make the sounds more realistic, and there's no way to just have the game disable mods that aren't allowed without restarting the game.

But as @laserbolts said, look for the official servers. They won't have silly rules, they won't kick you for dumb things, and they'll probably perform pretty well. Not sure how populated they are though.

Also, find servers you like and favorite them. If you just join random games willy nilly, you should expect things like that to happen. If you have a server browser in a game, spend some time playing around with the servers with the best ping, until you find a few that are usually well populated and don't have rules you don't like.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The issue is that consoles traditionally have offered poor interfaces to do this sort of control. How do you expose thousands of configurable settings to the user on a console with a dual stick controller?

Auto-balancing is a bane of many online games. In some ways it can be viewed as "natural" in the sense a match is so lopsided one side is fleeing where the alternative is just halting the match extremely early. On the other hand, I dont' see why auto-balance isn't just another feature that can be configured.

ps. I would have expected if a weapon or skill is banned that the server would just not allow it instead of booting someone on use. *shrug*

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ares42

@ryzon said:

I understand rules like these being implemented into PC games because PC gamers are use to it, but should we let servers like these infect consoles as well? Consoles tend to have alot more 'casual' players and consoles seem to be the go to things when you just want to relax, however as soon as you start putting server rules and custom servers into games where people can get kicked at a moments notice, seems to counteract what a console is designed for.

That's a whole lot of assumptions.

All I really have to say about the matter is that in most of the games I have played extensively online I have spent most of my time on "unconventional" servers. Also there's quite a few very popular games and even game-genres that exist purely because of custom servers. To view this is as something bad and detrimental seems ass backwards to me.