Silent Hill Shattered Memories - After the end... (Spoiler free)

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Edited By Jeust

Silent Hill Shattered Memories is a bold attempt through and through, ditching combat and implementing escape sequences, turning away from cult dealings and focusing on a psychological voyage, letting go of the fog and bringing the ice into town. In that it is a success! A reinvention of the Silent Hill formula and franchise, but is it as good as the best of the series? 

Graphical wise Silent Hill isn't very different from its previous games, except the fog was substituted by snow and ice. You'll come to visit some of the spots of the first game and meet new and old faces, see familiar places and names from other games... it's still the same town. Although during your walk through, the city will come to resemble a bit of your inner conscience.

The gameplay on the other hand is good, arguably the best of the series, but still a bit clunky. The exploration sequences are very well designed and provide a solitary experience, both creepy and interesting into the lives and soul of Silent Hill. But suddenly everything turns icy, and the then the escape starts. This segments are well designed, and fear inducing, but ultimately flawed, as you can't dodge or have any defensive posture towards your pursuers, having inevitably to deal with them hopping into you.  Completely apart from your incursion into town, and the rest of the gameplay, you get to attend a psychiatrist consult, performing tests and getting advice. A bit creepy the latter part, but it's both an interesting and fun addition.  

Story that's the key point to make a good Silent Hill game, or horror game for that matter, and it's great. With a good pacing - what doesn't mean that doesn't get a bit boring towards the middle -, and appropriate length (though could be a little longer that it wouldn't hurt), it unveils both a drama and a horror experience, to a surprising end. The plot is predictable at times, due to the numerous set pieces that lead to the conclusion, but it still gets to be unexpected.  

In the end the game is great, a worthy entry into the franchise and a better game than Origins ever got to be (being developed by the same company).  

But one question still lingers... Is it at the the level of the best in series? Does it surpass it? 

The answer is no. 

It's a victory in everything it tried to achieve, and the best game post Team Silent, but still it misses the gruesomeness and thought provoking essence of games like Silent Hill 2. The story while very well crafted and with a fitting end, doesn't disturb nor bring out the finner emotions on you, like others did.  The "game plays you" gimmick like Yatzee said, while it wasn't in the first games of the series, still they did play with your brain, perception, values and mind, and leave you drained and broken. This point is missing almost completely in this game. It's sugar coated.

In the end, it's an awesome game, and a good start for a new take on the Silent Hill franchise.  

You're always on my mind... Silent Hill.  

PS - On Yatzee's opinion see his Silent Hill 2 review.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jeust

Silent Hill Shattered Memories is a bold attempt through and through, ditching combat and implementing escape sequences, turning away from cult dealings and focusing on a psychological voyage, letting go of the fog and bringing the ice into town. In that it is a success! A reinvention of the Silent Hill formula and franchise, but is it as good as the best of the series? 

Graphical wise Silent Hill isn't very different from its previous games, except the fog was substituted by snow and ice. You'll come to visit some of the spots of the first game and meet new and old faces, see familiar places and names from other games... it's still the same town. Although during your walk through, the city will come to resemble a bit of your inner conscience.

The gameplay on the other hand is good, arguably the best of the series, but still a bit clunky. The exploration sequences are very well designed and provide a solitary experience, both creepy and interesting into the lives and soul of Silent Hill. But suddenly everything turns icy, and the then the escape starts. This segments are well designed, and fear inducing, but ultimately flawed, as you can't dodge or have any defensive posture towards your pursuers, having inevitably to deal with them hopping into you.  Completely apart from your incursion into town, and the rest of the gameplay, you get to attend a psychiatrist consult, performing tests and getting advice. A bit creepy the latter part, but it's both an interesting and fun addition.  

Story that's the key point to make a good Silent Hill game, or horror game for that matter, and it's great. With a good pacing - what doesn't mean that doesn't get a bit boring towards the middle -, and appropriate length (though could be a little longer that it wouldn't hurt), it unveils both a drama and a horror experience, to a surprising end. The plot is predictable at times, due to the numerous set pieces that lead to the conclusion, but it still gets to be unexpected.  

In the end the game is great, a worthy entry into the franchise and a better game than Origins ever got to be (being developed by the same company).  

But one question still lingers... Is it at the the level of the best in series? Does it surpass it? 

In the end, it's an awesome game, and a good start for a new take on the Silent Hill franchise.  

You're always on my mind... Silent Hill.  

PS - On Yatzee's opinion see his Silent Hill 2 review.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

Yeah, I thought Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was a pretty sweet game. I even played through it twice. I agree that Silent Hill 2 is still the best of the series, but this new direction shows me that the developer is starting to think outside the box. A re-imagined Silent 2?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jeust
@Claude:  

I thought too. I also played through twice, and making plans for the third time. But maybe it would be better next time for a brand new game, instead of a re-imagining.  

This is a exciting new direction for the franchise for me, as it leaves some of the decaying mechanics like the combat and health drinks, and focus on the atmosphere and the story. Let's see where this gets... 
Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Vanek

Good read.  I once considered picking the game up but was dissuaded by a friend.  I guess he didn't like the changes, or even the story. 

After reading this I think I'll put it on the list of games I'd only buy if I saw reduced heavily while at a shop.  XD

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By AndrewB
@Claude said:
" Yeah, I thought Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was a pretty sweet game. I even played through it twice. I agree that Silent Hill 2 is still the best of the series, but this new direction shows me that the developer is starting to think outside the box. A re-imagined Silent 2? "
It sucks that I freaking own Silent Hill 2 (the Xbox re-release), but through annoying gameplay mechanics, outdated graphics, and my own inability to play "survival horror" type games, I just can't bring myself to play more than a few hours. This kind of goes against my general belief that games should be experienced in their original form, but I almost think I need a remake/re-imagining to get myself into it.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude
@AndrewB said:
" @Claude said:
" Yeah, I thought Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was a pretty sweet game. I even played through it twice. I agree that Silent Hill 2 is still the best of the series, but this new direction shows me that the developer is starting to think outside the box. A re-imagined Silent 2? "
It sucks that I freaking own Silent Hill 2 (the Xbox re-release), but through annoying gameplay mechanics, outdated graphics, and my own inability to play "survival horror" type games, I just can't bring myself to play more than a few hours. This kind of goes against my general belief that games should be experienced in their original form, but I almost think I need a remake/re-imagining to get myself into it. "
To be honest, I played the original Silent Hill on the PS1. The two really don't compare as far as mechanics, graphics and even story. I found that Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was a better game. 

As for a remake or a re-imagined world of Silent Hill 2, well, if you thought people were pissed off about this one, the shit storm would be classic for 2. I'm all for it. I love seeing gamers or purists pissed off.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jeust
@Vanek: It's a great game, but the mature content is almost all gone, as it is the gruesomeness. Appart from it, the Silent Hill games have never been better. :p 

@Claude said:

" As for a remake or a re-imagined world of Silent Hill 2, well, if you thought people were pissed off about this one, the shit storm would be classic for 2. I'm all for it. I love seeing gamers or purists pissed off. "

Hehehe but  even so it would be much better with an all new setting, instead of reusing some of the details of the other games in the franchise.