So, hey, August is absolutely packed!

• 148 results
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Poll So, hey, August is absolutely packed! (705 votes)

Pikmin 3 9%
Dragon's Crown 12%
Tales of Xillia 11%
Brothers: Tales of Two Sons 3%
Mario and Luigi: Dream Team 14%
Payday 2 9%
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified 25%
Saints Row IV 62%
The Wonderful 101 8%
Killer is Dead 17%
...Other?!? 14%
Nothing 12%

Seriously, August is the new November! Though considering that the later end of the year will of course be dominated by next-gen console stuff, and September is of course GTAV turf, it makes sense why suddenly everyone is packing their games all in August.

But there can only be one!

Or two... three?

Maybe four?

Whatever, games of every numerical variety shall be bought! And I have created this poll compiling pretty much all of the big hitters to be released next month. I'm sure SRIV will be leading the charge for most, but there's plenty else in there to give you pause. Or not.

In any case I am most assuredly getting both Killer is Dead and Saints Row IV. Killer is Dead should, hopefully, be the Suda game we've all been waiting for. A game overpouring with Suda's madness, but while also encased in something that's actually fun to play. Lollipop Chainsaw, while not great by any means, is one of his best mechanically speaking and I would hope that it'll have been the stepping stone Suda's team needed to reach this theoretically glorious combination!!

While I'm still within the minority that greatly prefers SR2 to SRTT, SRIV has still shown me enough to get me excited. Crackdown powers and what looks like an open-world with some actual personality and side stuff that isn't a monotonous dreck, alongside an abundance of old faces returning into the fray, has eased Saints Row back into my good graces.

I'm also leaning very heavily into getting Payday 2... It's at a budget price and the whole game sounds fucking awesome on paper. Better yet, it actually looks to be just as good in motion too, if all of the footage I've seen is to be believed. I've already got myself some candidates to coop with at that, so it's all looking pretty optimistic.

Finally, while it definitely won't be an August purchase, I am very curious to read the reception to Tales of Xillia. I've finally decided to give Tales of Graces f more of chance, after figuratively disowning at after like an hour into the prologue, but... that game is a goddamn JRPG -- to a fault. Archetypal characters (Mysterious amnesiac lady; overly idealistic member of royalty who wants to end ALL the wars; lead hero who wants to protect ALL the people; an overly polite butler named frederic) and melodrama in spades -- I literally put the controller down and walked away shortly after Asbel is reunited with Herbet. Y'know, the part with the rain...

Anywhoo, the combat is primarily what pulls people into this series. But unfortunately I'm not the biggest fan of the combat, either. It's all just so damn fast and even by Tales standards i often feel like I'm just mashing the buttons and watching flashy colours cover the screen. In any case I'm hoping to see if Xillia will hark a little closer to Vesperia with regards to the combat.

• 
BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I will be buying Saints Row after a price drop.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

My birthday is in August.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#53  Edited By Video_Game_King

Quite the happy birthday for me, especially since it's at the end of the month.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

• Dragon's Crown
  • XCOM
  • Saints Row IV
  • Killer is Dead

I've got my eye on that Brothers game too, it looks pretty neat from the trailer I saw.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of those, sadly (or luckily, because I have other things to spend my monies on)...but September might be more tempting with GTA V and Puppeteer.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ProfessorK

Dragon's Crown, SR 4, Killer is Dead, X.C.O.M. Declassified and Divekick. Must gets, anything else is just icing on the cake!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Definitely Saints Row IV.

The Bureau, maybe on release.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Hehehe, 'August is packed'.

*sigh*

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saints Row IV is the only game I'll buy right away. XCOM could be interesting but I'll probably wait for a price drop if it's any good.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60  Edited By billyhoush

Saints Row is preordered and I'm going to wait on reviews of Splinter Cell.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Am I the only one getting Hatsune Miku Project Diva F? Anyways Im interested in....

•Hatsune Miku Project Diva F

•Dragon's Crown

•Saints Row IV

•Killer is Dead

•DiveKick

Basically after August is over Im done for the year. Ill get GTA 5 once it goes on sale and next big release for me is Lightning Returns:Final Fantasy XIII

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

All in time for my birthday next month!

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Rayman: Legends and Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

The two big games not on your list...

In fairness, Rayman is one of the few games that gets an EU and AUS release before the NA. It doesn't come out until September 3rd here. Under most circumstances, just looking at NA dates would tell you the first possible release dates. An oversite, yes, but not an unreasonable assumption

BleedingStarX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Splinter Cell is my only definite buy this month, might try Payday 2 if I have the cash

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing im planning to get right away unless something is amazingly good. I have a ton i could play already.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

If I were to play new games in August, it'd be dragons crown and xcom.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Nothing at all.

I'm keeping an eye out for XCOM but even if it turns out good i don't see myself picking it up until a price drop. Maybe during the holidays on Steam.

I liked Saints Row The Third but everything i've seen of Saints Row IV makes it look like complete garbage to me.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my god August is going to murder me.

Tales of Xillia, Saint's Row, FF 14: ARR, Killer is Dead, Mario and Luigi, maybe even Dragon's Crown?

I am going to die.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I must be the only person in the world who's excited about Analogue: A Hate Story Hate+, but man I've been waiting for that game for MONTHS, and it's finally coming in August.

Other than that, I might try out Tales of Xillia, since I enjoyed Tales of Graces.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Dallas_Raines

SR4, Killer is Dead and Dream Team are definites for me, with Bureau and Xillia being the wild card options.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#71  Edited By Animasta

@random45 said:

I must be the only person in the world who's excited about Analogue: A Hate Story Hate+, but man I've been waiting for that game for MONTHS, and it's finally coming in August.

I didn't know it was coming out next month! I am also excited, so I will join your party of one

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I a bad person that none of these are exciting me enough to want to buy any of them? The one I'll most probably get is Brothers: Tales of Two Sons because it looks pretty interesting and I like the art style.

• XCOM: Bureau looks alright but I'll probably wait for it to come down in price before I buy it. Mass Effect-y combat with Xcom vibe seems cool.
  • Wonderful 101 is looking great but I don't have a Wii U, could be a system seller but we'll see.
  • Killer is Dead - not sure I even know what that game actually is. We'll see, Suda can be a bit hit and miss.
  • Mario and Luigi looks cool but I don't have a 3DS and I've kind of had my fill of Superstar Saga RPG's, I know what I'm in for with them (great that they are, the writing is always superb)
  • Pay Day 2 looks like an improvement but I still need to play more of the first.
  • Saints Row, I don't know, I think I'm done with it. Just seems like more of the same but turbo charged.
  • Ducktales is shaping up quite nicely but we'll see, I wish they went purely animated cartoon style like they've done with the characters. WayForward are great with that stuff.

Key phrase: We'll see. Hmmmm, Beyond: Two Souls is the only game I'm looking forward to for later this year and that's not out till October. I'm sure they'll be some indie games on Steam that'll come out and I'll enjoy before then.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saints Row IV is really the only game I'll definitely get day one. I'll keep an eye on everything else, though, I just don't want to jump the gun on anything.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@random45 said:

I didn't know it was coming out next month! I am also excited, so I will join your party of one

I am onboard for Hate Plus. I've been avoiding details so exceptionally well that I didn't know that it had a release date.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

August is "Waiting for GTA Month" for me, but if I had a 3DS I would be all over that Mario & Luigi.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#76 fisk0  Moderator

X-COM is the only one I'm really interested in, even though I'm not too fond of the new direction they took in the past year or so. I would've preferred it in first person and with those really alien alien designs we saw in the 2010 or 2011 trailers, but even with the new direction it looks interesting enough.

While I have no idea of what to think of it, I'm looking forward to seeing what Josef Fares' and Starbreeze's Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons will turn out to be.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

No Caption Provided

Great news, I hope Cristine got the same dude to make some new music. It was spot-on in the original.

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#78  Edited By reckless_x

@stonyman65 said:

Saints Row.

& Steam sale games for me..!

EarthBowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By EarthBowl

Saints Row 4

Wonderful 101

Divekick

done.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SR4 is the only thing that immediately stands out to me. I'm kind of mildly intrigued by Payday 2, so I'll be keeping an eye on that.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#81  Edited By Hector

I'll be getting two games. The physical copy of New Super Luigi U and Saints Row IV.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

You forgot Divekick.

But Saints Row IV is the one I'm super looking forward to. Killer is Dead will (hopefully) be cool too.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing for me, I'm picking up GTA V when it comes out and that's it. I gotta take care of the backlog, all of those Steam sales!

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saints Row IV, Divekick, and Killer is Dead.

EpicBenjamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Saints Row 4 and Splinter Cell for sure, and maybe Divekick. Interested in Payday 2, but we'll see how it turns out.

Mastercheesey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The Worlds End and Elysium

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon's Crown and Saint's Row IV eventually for me.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saints Row and Mario, fuck the rest.

Except maybe Payday but I'll wait for reviews.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Dragon's Crown

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon's Crown and Tales of Xillia on the same day. Gonna be a long day. Killer is Dead looks great. Definitely getting that at the end of the month.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one of those months that's "stacked" but nothing much of interest really.

Pikmin: Meh.

Dragon's Crown: I keep going back and forth on this. Could be really cool on Vita, but I'm worried for some reason.

Tales of Xilia: All for JRPG's just not sure I'm in the mood for a tales game right now.

Brothers: Don't even know what this is.

Mario and Luigi: Meh

Payday: Don't know.

Xcom: No thanks bro.

Saint's Row 3.5: No thanks bro.

Wonderful 101: This looks really fun, but the short length concerns me.

Killer is Dead: Looks kinda cool, but would never buy this at launch. It'll drop in price super quick.

Also you left out the actual best game: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voted "Other" for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. I have played the beta and it's a VERY different game from FFXIV 1.0. Practically a different game altogether.

In terms of what it does right, it's taken a number of the best mechanics from the newer MMOs and put them in a Final Fantasy world with the classic FF jobs, limit breaks and such. It also has the best crafting system of a mainstream MMO in about a decade. Couple that with a large number of FFXI's community going to FFXIV (and FFXI is known for having one of the most mature MMO communities), and the best gamepad system of any MMO to date (actually as good as playing with mouse and keyboard), I think FFXIV's going to be a very good MMO.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

My others are Divekick and Disney Infinity. My non others: Killer is Dead SRIV Payday 2 and maaaaaybe XCOM.

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I probably won't be buying a new game until Rome 2 in early September. Although i wouldn't mind trying Dragons Crown at some point down the road. Also i have never played a Tales game so i should do that someday.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#95  Edited By DarkShaper

I am so damn pumped for Tales of Xillia. SR 4 and Dive Kick also seem worth picking up.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

If I had a 3DS, I would get Mario and Luigi in a heartbeat. But the only August games I'm interested in are Divekick, The Bureau and maybe SR4. But I'm waiting until September, now that month looks packed.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

SRIV and the Bureau will probably be on my computer at some point in the future. I can't guarantee it'll be in August, though.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon´s Crown is the one for me ^__^

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I am cautiously optimistic about Saints Row 4 mainly because it looks a little samey as SR3 but hey, more Kenize is a good thing!

I'm most interested to see Killer is Dead in action. I always wanted to play No More Heroes but didn't own a Wii and this is looking very similar in style and tone.

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surprised Saints Row 4 is in the lead.

Aww, I'm about to cry.