So I just Bought a DS Lite...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By LiquidPrince

I've been wanting a DS for a while now. I don't think it's as good a system as the PSP but it has the more nostalgic style games. I chose to buy a DS Lite because one, the DSi is stupid expensive for such a small difference in features ($199.99 + tax is ridiculous)... Two, I wanted to play all my old GBA games.

I still feel sort of awkward though because I always like to buy the best model of a console or handheld - Like my 60GB PS3 or so on. Did I make the right choice you guys think, or should I have waited?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LiquidPrince

I've been wanting a DS for a while now. I don't think it's as good a system as the PSP but it has the more nostalgic style games. I chose to buy a DS Lite because one, the DSi is stupid expensive for such a small difference in features ($199.99 + tax is ridiculous)... Two, I wanted to play all my old GBA games.

I still feel sort of awkward though because I always like to buy the best model of a console or handheld - Like my 60GB PS3 or so on. Did I make the right choice you guys think, or should I have waited?

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Godwind

I already have a gameboy player.  So the I can play all gameboy, color, and advance games on it.

The other question is "Are you interested in the features?"  I liked the idea of my DSi playing music, being able to manipulate sound(and store.  has a lot of versatile features), being able to download games.  That however, is just me.

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mercator

Should have gotten a DSi. Nicer screens and sound, slightly smaller over all size, DSi store.

Also, the DS isnt even in the same league as the PSP, one is a videogame console on par with the greatest in history, the other is a stylish paperweight.

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ShadowKiller

The lite is still great so no you never really made the wrong choice. Personally I would of got a DSI because I still have a GBA and I'm interested in the DSI shop and some of the new features.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince

Not really. I don't think I'd use the DS to play music or buy games off the store. The thing that's bothering me is that it has a bigger screen. Is it much bigger, I really don't know/. 

Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Roger_Klotz

I'm going to wait to get a dsi because i just got a ds light last year. plus the price might go down a bit.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By fr0br0

I was so close to getting a DSi, but then I keep hearing about the new PSP. I know it will probably be a mistake to buy another PSP when I haven't even bought a DS before, but I'm hoping Sony gets more original games with it.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Tireyo

"Two, I wanted to play all my old GBA games."

I want to play them too.  That's why I'm not convinced to get the DSi because it doesn't have that feature.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By AgentJ

If you aren't all that interested in the DSi now, theres probably little reason to get it. The DS lite, thanks to its design and price, is probably the ideal version to pick up. Make sure you get some good games for it!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus
LiquidPrince said:
"I've been wanting a DS for a while now. I don't think it's as good a system as the PSP but it has the more nostalgic style games. I chose to buy a DS Lite because one, the DSi is stupid expensive for such a small difference in features ($199.99 + tax is ridiculous)... Two, I wanted to play all my old GBA games. I still feel sort of awkward though because I always like to buy the best model of a console or handheld - Like my 60GB PS3 or so on. Did I make the right choice you guys think, or should I have waited?"
I just bought a DS Lite a few weeks ago as well. I wanted to play my GBA games, and I don't care about the camera. However, I may pick up a DSi a few months down the line, depending on how Nintendo treats it's virtual console on it.
strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#11  Edited By strangeling
LiquidPrince said:
"I still feel sort of awkward though because I always like to buy the best model of a console or handheld..."
The newest model is not always the best.
I think you made a fine decision, I don't think there would be much point in waiting.  Waiting to see if a game makes phenominal use of the cameras?  Waiting to see if a game comes out exclusive to DSiWare that you feel you can't live without? Nah.

It's kind of like TooWalrus just now picking up a PS2.  There's a big enough selection of quality games for the system, that you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it even if you are late to the game.
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Steve_C

My DS lite is serving me well at the moment, though i might be tempted to get a DSi if there's a sweet LoZ: Spirit Tracks bundle.

If you have no intention of using the online store then you're probably fine, as well as if you want to play GBA games. It's just a problem if you change your mind about it if a lot of awesome stuff gets released. The DS has so many good games on it though, particularly if you've only just got one, so you wouldn't find yourself with nothing to play either way.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By angelkanarias

that was a good choice, I don't think there is such a big difference. anyways you can play guitar hero and the DSi owners can't! If you aren't gonna go in the online shop nor hear music then it was a fantastic idea. And the screen isn't that big on the DSi, it is a little bit bigger, but there isn't a huge difference.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LiquidPrince

There probably won't be any DSi exclusive games will there, aside from the DSi store games?

freshgalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By freshgalaxy

I think your choice of DS Lite > DSi was smart. I have a DS Lite, and considered a DSi. But, DSi just isn't convincing enough. The DS Lite also has much longer battery life than the DSi. It still has the GBA slot, and it has wifi just as well. Also, if you're into glossy interfaces over "matte" style, DS Lite is the better choice. And as for your question pertaining to the size of the DSi screen...no...it is not much bigger.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Steve_C

I imagine there would be a few cart-based games that use the camera, and others may use it in a really minor way, like importing textures for custom clothes in animal crossing or something. However, big titles shouldn't make it mandatory as it would reduce the potential audience and net them less monies.

freshgalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By freshgalaxy

Also, games like Guitar Hero ONLY works with the DS Phat + DS Lite, since the GBA Slot aka "Slot 2" is 100% required for gameplay.

fas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fas

hallo my name is fas

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AgentJ

hi Fas. congrats on your first post.

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Eelcire
LiquidPrince said:
... Two, I wanted to play all my old GBA games.

You've answered your own question right there. Newer isn't always better, especially if the newer model doesn't have features you'd like to use. I keep my DSLite (and have no interest in the DSi) so I can play my old GBA. The bigger screens are nice, but if you have no interest in DSiWare or the built-in cameras then really there isn't much in difference. And I really don't think you'll find too many games focus specifically on DSi features at the current time due to the fact the DS/DSLite have such a large user base.

So what color did you end up getting? You've done what I would've done. 
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince

I wanted a white one, but apparently the've been discontinued so I ended up getting the silver.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#22  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
LiquidPrince said:
"I wanted a white one, but apparently the've been discontinued so I ended up getting the silver."
The white ones yellowed fairly quickly.
Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Johnny5

the screen isnt THAT much bigger. It seems like you yourself made the right choice because of the gba games.

However Im convinced of the DSi , if you get past all the dumb shit there is enough improvement.
mostly:
-speakers
-screens
-better components/switchs
-and nice new matte texture ;-;

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Well, I'm probably getting a DSi, haven't ever had a DS and I've found a site where I can get £30 of rrp, so that deals with the price quibbles I had about it.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Linkyshinks

Ahh you should have got a DSi, it's improved everything. You should have waited till you could afford to make the expense.

• Better D-pad and buttons
  • Better screen and touch panel size
  • DSi Ware - exclusive games that take advantage of an improved CPU (133mhz,), and improved RAM ability (16mb), not forgetting the new feature set when needed
  • Virtual Gameboy, which will give the DSi an AWESOME back catalogue of games from all the Gameboy's
  • Much improved comfort over the Lite
  • Improved sound quality
  • Camera and sound recorder, with editing functions that are fun to mess around with
  • Improved compatibility with the internet - more security types supported
  • Exclusive card based games, which will almost certainly happen when developers wish to take advantage of the bump in CPU an RAM power, without file size restrictions.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Red

Probably? You're right that the price difference isn't justified, but it is vastly superior to the DS lite in some ways. Especially if you have an SP, you probably should've gone for the DSi.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pause422

I think if you wanted to get a DS the Lite was a fine choice. I too believe thet DSi is a waste of money.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By penguindust

The DS Lite is a good choice for now.  I don't know what the actual benefits of the DSi will be over time.  I know Nintendo is promising a lot, but until I see them deliver, then I have no plans to pick up one of the newer models.  I think it was smart of save yourself some money.  Get yourself some classic reissues and have some fun...also, The World Ends With You.

TravisT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TravisT
LiquidPrince said:
"I've been wanting a DS for a while now. I don't think it's as good a system as the PSP but it has the more nostalgic style games. I chose to buy a DS Lite because one, the DSi is stupid expensive for such a small difference in features ($199.99 + tax is ridiculous)... Two, I wanted to play all my old GBA games. I still feel sort of awkward though because I always like to buy the best model of a console or handheld - Like my 60GB PS3 or so on. Did I make the right choice you guys think, or should I have waited?"
Since when does the DSi cost 199.99? It costs 164, plus EBGames is having a deal where if you turn in your DS Lite, Regular Old DS, or GBA you get a certain amount of money off the DSi. I think it's $70,$50,$20.Personally I think you made a mistake buying the Lite over the DSi. Don't get me wrong, the Lite is great, but the DSi is the Lite with improvements, minus the GBA slot which is not that big of a deal anyway. Also, since you "own" GBA games, what were you playing them on before? If GBA games are that important to you, you could've kept whatever you played them on or buy a GBA for cheap. I'm sure they're worth nothing nowadays.
BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By BlackWaterCO

your such an ignorant fanboy

The PS3 isn't the best. The Online is shit, and for the extra of 6 or 7 great exclusives all the multiplatform games suck ass

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AgentJ
BlackWaterCO said:
"your such an ignorant fanboyThe PS3 isn't the best. The Online is shit, and for the extra of 6 or 7 great exclusives all the multiplatform games suck ass"
My god, you cant escape trolls can you... Honestly.
KennyTheSober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KennyTheSober

I believe you made a fine choice, the DS Lite is a solid piece of hardware. The DSi would only appeals to me because of the slightly larger screens and the volume buttons.... oh and that superior finish the DSi's casing has, 'cos the Lite's shiny plastic sucks ass.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By BigBoss1911
BlackWaterCO said:
"your such an ignorant fanboyThe PS3 isn't the best. The Online is shit, and for the extra of 6 or 7 great exclusives all the multiplatform games suck ass"

You obviously dont even have one.And why are you even talking about ps3?
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BoG
BlackWaterCO said:
Let's try to be a little nicer, shall we? Your argument comes out very hostile, and you say nothing to back yourself up. You're the one who looks like the ignorant fanboy with such an antagonistic tone. 
Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Xandurson

The DSi is only $169.99 + tax. I think I'm gonna get a DSi.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By choffy21
LiquidPrince said:
"There probably won't be any DSi exclusive games will there, aside from the DSi store games?"
As far as I'm concerned, there will be DSi exclusive games. But I doubt those games will be monstrous block-busters.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LiquidPrince
BlackWaterCO said:
I said best VERSION of a console you nub... The 60GB is the best version of the PS3... I wasn't even comparing it in a system wars kind of way.... Geez.
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By azteris
BlackWaterCO said:
Reading comprehension > you.
Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Vyse_Legends

Right choice?  I don't know.

But what I do know about the DS is that you need to get Phoenix Wright and Ouendan.:P

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LiquidPrince

I picked up Pokemon Platinum and Professor Layton XD

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#41  Edited By Claude

You know... if you bought a Wii, you would be complete.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LiquidPrince
Claude said:
"You know... if bought a Wii, you would be complete."
Never!

XD
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Claude
LiquidPrince said:
"Claude said:
Never! XD"
I screwed that one... "if you bought a Wii", but you know what I mean. Maybe HD... one day. Clean and crisp, no 480p. I still love you none the less. I wish I had a DS, but I'm at home too much, so no need. The games aren't enough to justify a purchase.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LiquidPrince
Claude said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"Claude said:
Never! XD"
I screwed that one... "if you bought a Wii", but you know what I mean. Maybe HD... one day. Clean and crisp, no 480p. I still love you none the less. I wish I had a DS, but I'm at home too much, so no need. The games aren't enough to justify a purchase."
I actually feel the DS has a much better selection of games then the Wii. I mean, Professor Layton and the Curious Village is genius.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Claude
LiquidPrince said:
"Claude said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"Claude said:
Never! XD"
I screwed that one... "if you bought a Wii", but you know what I mean. Maybe HD... one day. Clean and crisp, no 480p. I still love you none the less. I wish I had a DS, but I'm at home too much, so no need. The games aren't enough to justify a purchase."
I actually feel the DS has a much better selection of games then the Wii. I mean, Professor Layton and the Curious Village is genius."
A DS means no PS3, and I'm still saving for an HDTV... and you know what that means. No DS... my bad. Have fun.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LiquidPrince
Claude said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"Claude said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"Claude said:
Never! XD"
I actually feel the DS has a much better selection of games then the Wii. I mean, Professor Layton and the Curious Village is genius."
A DS means no PS3, and I'm still saving for an HDTV... and you know what that means. No DS... my bad. Have fun."
Well, the PS3 does take priority.