So What Year Did You First Started Gaming?

• 174 results
falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By falserelic

For me 1997 or 1998 when I was alittle kid. I remember growing up playing Sega, Nintendo, PC and PlayStation games. Thinking about those days brings back alot of good memories. I remember playing alot of games on the PlayStation such as Metal Gear, Syphon Filter, Alundra 2, Vagrant Story, Fighting Force, Nightmare Creatures a whole bunch of games. I use to replay games alot back then too.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

Like 93.

joseffthered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By joseffthered

I've been playing video games my entire life, but I can't really remember when I started. I guess sometime in the mid to late 80's.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Akeldama

What's up with all these not proofread thread titles?

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

In 96, the game was Wave Race 64.

BerserkingGuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By BerserkingGuts

I can't remember the exact year but it must of been late in the 80's. I wasn't introduced to game's until I was about 7 or 8 and my first console was a NES with the Mario Bros/Duck Hunt bundle.

No Caption Provided

Awesome times.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aronman789

Tekken 1 for the Playstation in like 2000/01.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#8  Edited By Dimsey

Around 92 I got a NES for my 5th Birthday, so that's when it really kicked off. @BerserkingGuts said:

I can't remember the exact year but it must of been late in the 80's. I wasn't introduced to game's until I was about 7 or 8 and my first console was a NES with the Mario Bros/Duck Hunt bundle.

No Caption Provided

Awesome times.

Those were my first games too.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sayishere

Sonic 2 for genesis

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By OllyOxenFree

'92/'93 with the usual Mario & Duck Hunt combo.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By zyn

1990? Sometime around there.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By viking_funeral

@BerserkingGuts said:

No Caption Provided

Awesome times.

My first games as well. Must have been '88 or so.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vexxan

Around 1996.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

Jesus you guys are making me feel old. Started 85/86 and have been playing ever since. First computer was a Zx Spectrum +2. Had games like Dizzy, Jack the Nipper and Renagade to name but a few. It's been amazing watching technology progress. I often wonder what it's like for you youngers guys who started on PSone and later. Do you ever look back and play games that were around before some of you were born?

Owlright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Owlright

Barring the few sort of simple games like Oregon Trail or Pitfall that I played on PC since before I can remember, I want to say 'ninety...seeeven? Thereabouts, my family acquired an N64. No games though, we'd just go to Blockbuster and rent whatever they had.

When I was even younger though my family frequented a dentist that basically had an arcade in their waiting lobby, which was cool as fuck and I played a ton of games there.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By falserelic

@Ninja_Welshman said:

Jesus you guys are making me feel old. Started 85/86 and have been playing ever since. First computer was a Zx Spectrum +2. Had games like Dizzy, Jack the Nipper and Renagade to name but a few. It's been amazing watching technology progress. I often wonder what it's like for you youngers guys who started on PSone and later. Do you ever look back and play games that were around before some of you were born?

LOL! Sorry for making you feel old. I was born in 92 I had brothers who was born in the early 80s. They showed me abunch of games they played when they was kids. I never really got into the original NES system much. But I did play alot of sega games like vectorman, X-men 2, shinobi 3, revenge of shinobi and other games. I also remember playing a few arcade games and Super Nintendo games. Now and then I might download afew older games just to try them out.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By myniceicelife

it was either 1990 or 91, as I was 4 when I started playing some arcade games and my parents atari 2600. kinda scary thinking about how long I've been playing games.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By daiphyer

1998. I was 4 when I first started gaming. The first game I played was the home-computer version of Pac-Man.

To make up for my young-ness, I actually started with the oldest console possible at the time, and bought my way up each year. So 1999 I got a SNES, 2000 I got a Genesis, and 2001 I got a PSOne. I also had a PC throughout the years to keep up with the newer titles, too.

I used to live in Iran, so hardware availability was kind of limited.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MeierTheRed

84-85 or so.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zeforgotten

88? 89? .. one of those. 

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Morrow

1992. I was 5 :)

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CaLe

God you make a lot of threads. I don't remember.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By falserelic

@CaLe said:

God you make a lot of threads. I don't remember.

I have been lately. I usually don't but I've been in the mood to make topics, and I don't know why.

Vestigial_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vestigial_Man

Christmas 2002 I think. My parents got me a PS2 with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 and then like most people here I was hooked.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Th3_James

92-93

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By scarace360

96-97 Blew my mind.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By scarace360

@Ninja_Welshman said:

Ya ive gone back and played games before i was born. It's a nice lesson in how far we have come.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ProfessorK

@BerserkingGuts: Same here, though I still wish I got the bundle that came with the track pad :(

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Chop

SNES. Super Mario World.

To be fair, I didn't care much about games until Donkey Kong Country, but yeah.

Fillem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Fillem

Around 1984. A friend of mine had a commodore 64 which was brilliant. We only had a MSX, not even an MSX2. Still played a shitload of games on that greenscreen though.

I was blessed with parent who understood little to nothing about computers yet kept up with PCs. Starting with a x86 (086?) with a green CGA screen and working our way up to a 386 with a colour VGA screen and playing Doom for the first time. Simply amazing. Also 7th Guest on cd-rom was....at the time, pretty impressive :).

Oh man, the glorious hassle of memory management and separate floppy disks to boot up. The golden days of the SSI RPGs. Yeeeearn. :)

edit: damn, also feeling old now I'm reading back these messages. :)

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Born 1991, started "casually" with Commander Keen and Doom in 1995-1996, a little more dedication through Max Payne and San Andreas 2003-2006, religiously 2007-present starting with Crysis and Gears of War.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MudMan

I don't remember the first time I played a game, but it must have been 83 or 84, either an arcade game or some Speccy game at some friend's house. The first time I owned a gaming system (actually a PC) was 90-91, and I got my first console in 92.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sungahymn

...'99?

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MudMan

@scarace360 said:

@Ninja_Welshman said:

Ya ive gone back and played games before i was born. It's a nice lesson in how far we have come.

I'd like to hear you elaborate further. How do you picture us playing those games? I know they seem barely functional today, even to me. It takes some effort to even remember how the hell we had the patience as pre-teens to wait for a tape to load for 25 minutes to play a broken game for a whole afternoon (because we would NOT go through that loading process again, damnit).

Especially for European people I'm very curious about what mental image that generates in a teenager today. A lot of that period has been overwritten by history with the NES classics, which were far more polished and paint a more rosy picture of 80s gaming. I wonder if you guys can conceive 5 straight hours of Atari or Spectrum gaming.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Vextroid

'94-'95 with a second-hand Amiga (not sure which one but it may ne the 500 based on pictures and memory).

I loved that computer.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TwoLines

1991... Or 1992.

kogasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kogasu

Sometime in the '90s I have no idea when.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Grillbar

89-90 maybe i was about 3-4 maybe when i was 2 i really cant remember. think the game was Q*bert

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Rebel_Scum

86 or 87. Used to love going to the arcades or local shops that had an arcade machine. 20 cents a game too. And I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HarlechQuinn

1979/80 on one of the countless Pong clones for your television set... Great, now I am feeling really old again...

StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By StingerMK2

probably 89 or 90, I had an Atari ST with a shit load of games from my cousin (I imagine they were copies, but fuck if I can remember) stand out games from that were the Dizzy games, Dynamite Dux, Llamatron, Double Dragon, Newzealand Story and a couple I dont remember the names of, but were awesome non the less. Then a year or so later I played Road Rash and Sonic round a friends house on his Megadrive and never looked back, bugged my parents real hard to get me one for christmas in 1990, i would have been 5 at the time,

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ProfessorEss
Somewhere around 1979 or 1980. 

Endless hours of Combat and Space Invaders for the Atari 2600. 
Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Canteu

Probably 92/93.

Good old nes.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By WinterSnowblind

89 or 1990. Good old Mario/Duck Hunt combo.

bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bio595

I'm a younger guy, so about 99, but I didn't get hardcore into gaming till like 2007 or 2008.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Probably played my first game around 89 or 90, but I got my first console in 91. I was 5. Mario.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Azteck

98-99 I think. Or rather that's when I bought my first game. Wasn't really a gamer until I hit around 13 though.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By laserbolts

1990 with Mario.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ninja_Welshman
@NoelVeiga

@scarace360 said:

@Ninja_Welshman said:

I'd like to hear you elaborate further. How do you picture us playing those games? I know they seem barely functional today, even to me. It takes some effort to even remember how the hell we had the patience as pre-teens to wait for a tape to load for 25 minutes to play a broken game for a whole afternoon (because we would NOT go through that loading process again, damnit).

Especially for European people I'm very curious about what mental image that generates in a teenager today. A lot of that period has been overwritten by history with the NES classics, which were far more polished and paint a more rosy picture of 80s gaming. I wonder if you guys can conceive 5 straight hours of Atari or Spectrum gaming.

The worst was typing out a 3 page program in a magazine only for it to fail because you entered a value wrong or there was a misprint. Guh!!