Solid-State Drive SSD - The Return to Cartridge Based Gaming?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

The next generation of consoles might be going back to cartridges...

Just imagine - this could be Mass Effect 4 or Uncharted 4 or GTA VI - ESSENTIALLY ON A CARTRIDGE!
 Just imagine - this could be Mass Effect 4 or Uncharted 4 or GTA VI - ESSENTIALLY ON A CARTRIDGE!

The major upside to SSD are extreme reading speeds, because there are no moving parts - resulting in having 'ZERO LOADING TIMES'. Perfect for highend gaming.

How much would you love to go back to 'Cartridge' gaming? Personally - I'd be absolutely delighted. No loading times - like the good old days.

Here's the Wikipedia entry for Solid-State Drive technology.

Enjoy!
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

SSD technology is still very expensive, so I can't see them being in next gen consoles. Maybe the generation after that.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By MeierTheRed

Also the major down side to SSD is the price, and i bet that the production cost of making the discs and putting games on them will be at least x2 as much as just printing them on a regular DVD or a BluRay disc.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

#1. It'd be farrrrr to expensive to sell games on SSDs - so the cart comparison isn't really valid
#2. It's not zero loading times...  in many cases it isn't even twice as fast as HDD loading (with current tech at least) - hell a 7200RPM HDD at that.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Seppli

It's still a dream worth dreaming... *hopeful stare at the horizon*

...for a golden future without noisy optical drives and short to zero loading times.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By DCFGS3

Methinks the rate of disc advancement would outpace ssd advancement until solid media doesn't even exist.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Seppli

I also wonder how much better game engines could be, when optimized for Solid-State Drive. All these open world games streaming content all the time?

Solid-State Drives might do a lot more for games, than a better graphics card and more RAM could.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Seppli
@DCFGS3 said:
" Methinks the rate of disc advancement would outpace ssd advancement until solid media doesn't even exist. "

Yeah - one day cloud gaming will be a reality. Til then, I'd love me some cartridges.

Too bad it might not happen anymore.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Diamond
@Seppli said:
I also wonder how much better game engines could be, when optimized for Solid-State Drive. All these open world games streaming content all the time?  Solid-State Drives might do a lot more for games, than a better graphics card and more RAM could.
The bottleneck on SSD load times is still extremely narrow compared to RAM speed.  As I said before, SSD load times in games are often not even twice as fast as the typical 7200RPM HDDs most every computer uses.  Basically with current tech it would amount to textures popping in a bit quicker, and loading new areas about twice as fast.

We would need a really revolutionary storage medium for RAM to no longer be relevant.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ninjakiller
@Seppli: Cloud computing will never happen until 100% of the world is broadband wired.  I just don't see that happening.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By toowalrus

It IS a neat idea- one I hadn't considered. I don't ever see it happening, but I'd love to have a stack of games on my shelf again, rather than a shelf of disc cases.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#12  Edited By sjschmidt93

Is it really a cartridge, though? More of a memory card if you ask me. 

Maybe that image isn't blown up as much as it seems.... I don't know....

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Seppli
@ninjakiller said:

" @Seppli: Cloud computing will never happen until 100% of the world is broadband wired.  I just don't see that happening. "

Dude - highend gaming primeraly happens in the U.S., Western Europe and Japan. Those who don't have broadband internet, don't have the money to pay for games anyways. It's bound to happen sooner rather than later. I'm pretty certain a gaming cloud service will be a reality for me in 10 years. I just need to think back 10 years and how gaming has changed since then. Online was definitly the most dymanic part of gaming progression in the last decade and it was only just the beginning. Online distribution, cloud computing gaming services and mobile broadband internet related stuff are just a few things about to take off big time.

When it comes to Internet services like Netflix, Hulu, Rhapsody and similar stuff - America is ahead of the curb. About 2 years ahead of Europe (since our many languages and laws slow legal online distribution down) and even more so for the rest of the world. Except Japan, but I don't know enough about what they got going on.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Seppli said:

"Dude - highend gaming primeraly happens in the U.S., Western Europe and Japan. Those who don't have broadband internet, don't have the money to pay for games anyways."

There are still lots of more rural places in the US, Western Europe and Japan who don't have access to a broadband capable phone line. And there is a huge difference between being able to afford games, and being able to spend huge amounts of money putting in miles & miles of new phone lines. 

Broadband isn't as widespread as a lot of people think. There are plenty of people that just don't have access to high speed internet.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Seppli
@Diamond said:

" @Seppli said:

I also wonder how much better game engines could be, when optimized for Solid-State Drive. All these open world games streaming content all the time?  Solid-State Drives might do a lot more for games, than a better graphics card and more RAM could.
The bottleneck on SSD load times is still extremely narrow compared to RAM speed.  As I said before, SSD load times in games are often not even twice as fast as the typical 7200RPM HDDs most every computer uses.  Basically with current tech it would amount to textures popping in a bit quicker, and loading new areas about twice as fast.  We would need a really revolutionary storage medium for RAM to no longer be relevant. "

I didn't mean SSD would replace RAM. But the higher reading speed would certainly improve the performance of the system a lot, since the flow from the datastorage to the RAM would be a lot more fluid and wouldn't suffer from hiccups.

And how much quicker is SSD in comparison with optical disc drives like DVD or Blu Ray? Like 10-20x faster reading times? Should guarantee much smoother data streaming. Big open world games like GTA IV should profit a whole lot from higher reading times.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Seppli
@MattyFTM said:

" @Seppli said:

"Dude - highend gaming primeraly happens in the U.S., Western Europe and Japan. Those who don't have broadband internet, don't have the money to pay for games anyways."

There are still lots of more rural places in the US, Western Europe and Japan who don't have access to a broadband capable phone line. And there is a huge difference between being able to afford games, and being able to spend huge amounts of money putting in miles & miles of new phone lines.   Broadband isn't as widespread as a lot of people think. There are plenty of people that just don't have access to high speed internet. "

Ah - you know, we (Switzerland) had such a thing called 'Service Publique'. Essentially everything, which makes sense to be run by the government was run by the government directly (Post, Telefone, Trains, Electricity, Water, Canalisation etc.). That was up until about 10 years ago. Luckily, before the law got liberalized and the free market took over completely, our taxpayer money more or less covered 100% of our country with a fiber optics networks.

When it comes to this kind of shit (investion in infrastructure), capitalism is huge hinderance, since it's all about milking old technology for maximum profits. Just saying. Depending on how China intends to handle their shit, they might have 100% broadband connectivity in a decade or so. Of course I know nothing about China and Switzerland is just about 1/1000 the size of China. Still - if they have any sense about what to do with their relative profit independency, they'll push broadband connection ASAP.

I'm pretty sure quite a few countries invest heavily in their broadband connectivity, since governments tend to do big time investions in infrastructure during an economical crisis, you can be certain that broadband connectivity will be pushed now more than ever.
Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

Yeah, it should be common knowledge here that carts or that SSD stuff is better in every way compared to discs besides cost.  They can put DS games on stuff like that because the smaller sizes of the games keeps the costs down, but putting Uncharted 2 on something like that would cost a LOT of money.  At least the 360 lets you install games on the hard drive, which is the second best thing really.
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Binman88
SSDs wouldn't create a zero load-time scenario. Stick one in a PC and you'll still have to wait around a bit for games to load. I have a 10K RPM hard drive in my PC and the difference between it and a 7200 isn't all that great when loading games or maps.

@Seppli said:
" @ninjakiller said:

" @Seppli: Cloud computing will never happen until 100% of the world is broadband wired.  I just don't see that happening. "

Those who don't have broadband internet, don't have the money to pay for games anyways."
What.
warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By warxsnake
@DCFGS3 said:
" Methinks the rate of disc advancement would outpace ssd advancement until solid media doesn't even exist. "
Optical media needs to die, lasers are so 1990s.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Seppli
@Binman88 said:
" SSDs wouldn't create a zero load-time scenario. Stick one in a PC and you'll still have to wait around a bit for games to load. I have a 10K RPM hard drive in my PC and the difference between it and a 7200 isn't all that great when loading games or maps.

@Seppli said:
" @ninjakiller said:

Those who don't have broadband internet, don't have the money to pay for games anyways."
What. "

People, Places, Countries - which won't have broadband internet within this coming decade, don't have money anyways (to spend on games). So why would anybody care if the world is 100% broadband wired?
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Emilio

Well the DS already uses cartridges, so I don't see why not. 

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Seppli

Also - when it comes to the internet, it's quite likely that current line-bound connectivity will be replaced by a wireless technology. Internet on the ether. Datastreams in the radiowaves. Or something.

You never know what's coming.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mano521

i got a computer with ssd.  but little did i know it only had enough memory to have all the system basics on there. haha 
 reading this made me realize how quick cartridge games loaded.   i just plugged in pokemon, and i am actually just realizing that everytime i go into a cave or battle or whatever, there is no loading, as there would be in any other type of game. its just instant 

playing any game as streamlessly as a gameboy game would make my day haha. i just hope they find ways to make these SSD's cheaper

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#24  Edited By Valkyr

The DS2 will surely use some kind of cartridge, the PSPGo never sold well in Japan, they just  don't like digital distribution and if the DS2 is going to use the Tegra 2 chip as rumors suggest, they will need some high capacity cartridge, I don't expect Nintendo to go with something like a UMD

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By sodiumCyclops

SSDs will be become fairly mainstream by the end of 2010, but don't hold your breath.

They won't make your computer get more FPS out of games, only load times will get better.

illumination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Branthog

Don't bet on it. High failure rates at this point. Besides, the industry is going download only, so they can fuck you in the ass as far as "owning" anything and taking out the secondary market.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By Marz

solid state will not make loading times disappear, just make them faster,