Some Author is suing Ubisoft over Assassins Creeds story!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jay444111

Here is the story!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ubisoft-sued-over-assassins-creed-plot-6372179

John Beiswenger is suing Ubisoft over Assassins creed story being too familiar to his own book Link. (Not Zelda, we don't want him to sue that all of the sudden!)

IMO, this guy seems like a lazy failure of an author, he is lowest of the low, blaming everyone else instead of making good fucking books. Seems very much like the guy is just money hungry and wants attention to his books. As a writer, this man sickens me to the deepest corridors of my soul. If you wanna get money writing books, advertise them yourself and make your books so fucking awesome that people have to tell others about your work. This guy is just a has been that's time has passed already.

Hell, his book is now getting bad reviews on Amazon as we speak.

http://www.amazon.com/Link-Beiswenger-John-L/dp/0741413485/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1334790627&sr=8-4

Now, I didn't mind it when people did this when it came to that one lady who said all gamers are rapists. She deserved that one. But even I think this is going overboard a bit. The guy is an asshole. But he isn't a dickface like that one lady. So I see no reason to fake review bomb this guy. Sure he should be criticized rightfully so. But we can do that by reading his books and then deciding they suck in a very critical manner instead of attacking him outright. Destroy his work one by one just like ME3 fans destroyed the ending of ME3! Then he will be shamed into admitting he was a fool and we will have won then. Just saying.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

Already a thread on this.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jay444111

@Dagbiker said:

Already a thread on this.

Wa... ah... man! WTF! you guys have to stop being so fast! Dammit! I want to be the one who gives out news for once! :(

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AnimalFather

wasnt assassins creed already based on a book, i remember jade(hot as hell) talked about patrice(sp?) reading a book and getting inspired. dont remember the book though.

As the suit notes, "In 'Link,' the plaintiff's plot includes the conception and creation of a device and process whereby ancestral memories can be accessed, recalled, relived, and re-experienced by the user." It also contains a device to access those memories described similarly to the Animus in Assassin's Creed.

well i actually now think the author has a point.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jay444111

@AnimalFather said:

wasnt assassins creed already based on a book, i remember jade(hot as hell) talked about patrice(sp?) reading a book and getting inspired. dont remember the book though.

As the suit notes, "In 'Link,' the plaintiff's plot includes the conception and creation of a device and process whereby ancestral memories can be accessed, recalled, relived, and re-experienced by the user." It also contains a device to access those memories described similarly to the Animus in Assassin's Creed.

He should have done it when the first game came out then. Which was like... a good while back. This is just a money grab at best.

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AnimalFather

@Jay444111 said:

@AnimalFather said:

He should have done it when the first game came out then. Which was like... a good while back. This is just a money grab at best.

well maybe he didnt know about it and just found out, you do realize that a lot of people dont play games at all.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hatking

@AnimalFather said:

@Jay444111 said:

@AnimalFather said:

well maybe he didnt know about it and just found out, you do realize that a lot of people dont play games at all.

Yeah, if your only argument against the guy is "he should have said something sooner," then you don't really have any justification in hating on the guy like you did in your first post. Basically what you're saying is if you do something wrong, and nobody notices for a while, then you're all good. So that hooker I killed a couple years ago, the statute of limitations has to be up on that soon, right?

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By kashif1

@HatKing said:

@AnimalFather said:

@Jay444111 said:

@AnimalFather said:

Yeah, if your only argument against the guy is "he should have said something sooner," then you don't really have any justification in hating on the guy like you did in your first post. Basically what you're saying is if you do something wrong, and nobody notices for a while, then you're all good. So that hooker I killed a couple years ago, the statute of limitations has to be up on that soon, right?

His argument is that he uses genetic memories as a plot device, Doctor who did that way back when, the plot shares no other similarity

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FengShuiGod

This guy's argument is tenuous at best. Accessing ancestral memories isn't exactly an innovative new hook. Not to mention he is a horrible writer. I mean, I have virtually zero talent, so I don't say this often but......I could write that.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FengShuiGod

@kashif1 said:

His argument is that he uses genetic memories as a plot device, Doctor who did that way back when, the plot shares no other similarity

Ancient cultures believed they could access ancestral memories via oracles and drugs, better file lawsuit against the American Indian Heritage Foundation.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DrPockets000

Kind of a vague connection.

Not that it matters, but I read part of the book, and...holy SHIT, is it poorly written.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Bwast

"The suit notes that both Beiswenger's novel and the Assassin's Creed games contain spiritual and biblical overtones, a theme of good battling evil, and interactions with historically accurate people and places."

That's some pretty conclusive evidence right there.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I'm reading his complaint thing and it is so annoying to read because he is suing Ubisoft for everything Assassin's Creed and there are like 20 pages saying the same 10 things over and over.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Strife777

I love that he's also suing Gametrailers for putting up....game trailers!!! Like, wtf is wrong with you dude?

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Alkaiser

If you were going to compare your own work to Assassin's Creed, why would you compare it to the worst part of the franchise, ie the future tech bullshit jargon conspiracy theory nutjobbery?

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Alkaiser said:

If you were going to compare your own work to Assassin's Creed, why would you compare it to the worst part of the franchise, ie the future tech bullshit jargon conspiracy theory nutjobbery?

I love that crazy shit.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By soldierg654342

Looks like the guy is just trying to fleece a little "shut-up and sit down" money from Ubisoft.

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Alkaiser
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iam3green

sounds pretty bad book. i think that people won't know that it was the same just like the game or book.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Alkaiser said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Alkaiser said:

I love that crazy shit.

I wish I could dude. But personally I could use less

and more

I don't understand those complaints because they aren't aliens and there is no problem with punching the pope.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By napalm
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jay444111

@FengShuiGod said:

This guy's argument is tenuous at best. Accessing ancestral memories isn't exactly an innovative new hook. Not to mention he is a horrible writer. I mean, I have virtually zero talent, so I don't say this often but......I could write that.

I forgot that amazon had a preview sorta deal... but damn... I had to squint at some parts they were so fucking terrible. At least when I fuck up I know when I did and how to fix it. This guys book reads like a first drafter!

If you make a book and publish it on the first draft of work, it is shit. I don't mean to be mean, but I think only 1/1000 books that are first drafters are, if ever, good by any means, a real author would revise his/her entire book FIVE times before even thinking about publishing it. At least then you can fix all fuck ups and editors that are brought in won't hate your guts by the end of the whole ordeal.

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Alkaiser

@Napalm said:

@Alkaiser said:

I wish I could dude. But personally I could use less

and more

Holy shit, seriously? I only played the first one, but this makes me want to play the shit out of this series. I want to hit the Pope with a good ol' one-two.

Meh, I tried not to spoil it, but who cares. Yeah, it's fucking crazy. Fast Karate going into vivid description about how you can get him in an infinite combo of kicking him in the junk over and over again and then picking him up and knocking him back down to reign terror on his nuts like a champ was what got me to give AC2 a try.

CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CountMacula

My favourite part:

31. In Link, there are spiritual and biblical tones, with references made to

Jesus and God, the Garden of Eden, and forbidden fruit.

32. In the Assassin’s Creed video game series and books, there are

spiritual and biblical tones, with references made to various Gods, Adam and Eve,

and relics called Pieces of Eden.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By napalm

@Alkaiser: Dude! Don't hide that! Celebrate that shit! You get to knock the Pope the fuck out!

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jay444111

Actually, not only do you punch the pope, but you strangle him with ONE hand!!! How that got by Religious zealots I will never know, and will forever be thankful for.

Note, I do not sugguest doing it, because doing that shit is still bad to do. Doesn't matter if it is the pope or not. Just kinda shocking you ARE doing it to the pope is all.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Another day, another dumb Jay thread.

Brothers, our hyperbole will blot out the sun!

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Strife777 said:

I love that he's also suing Gametrailers for putting up....game trailers!!! Like, wtf is wrong with you dude?

That's how these cases work mate. If you're going to sue on copyright infringement or IP infringement you need to select two or more large targets to get the attention of the courts and the media as the defendants rustle up a defence.

@Jay444111 said:

@FengShuiGod said:

I forgot that amazon had a preview sorta deal... but damn... I had to squint at some parts they were so fucking terrible. At least when I fuck up I know when I did and how to fix it. This guys book reads like a first drafter!

If you make a book and publish it on the first draft of work, it is shit. I don't mean to be mean, but I think only 1/1000 books that are first drafters are, if ever, good by any means, a real author would revise his/her entire book FIVE times before even thinking about publishing it. At least then you can fix all fuck ups and editors that are brought in won't hate your guts by the end of the whole ordeal.

Yeah yeah Jay, you're an author my arse. Lots of books get published with grammatical errors, even some by Stephen King and he's possibly the most successful author of his generation.

Saying you could write something when neither of you actually has had anything of worth published isn't just lazy but also really self deluded.

OHNOES SOME1 ATAX MY PRESHUS GAYMZ

sheesh

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By viking_funeral

@Bwast said:

"The suit notes that both Beiswenger's novel and the Assassin's Creed games contain spiritual and biblical overtones, a theme of good battling evil, and interactions with historically accurate people and places."

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but good battling evil? I would love to be the copyright holder on that one.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@Paul_Is_Drunk

@Bwast said:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but good battling evil? I would love to be the copyright holder on that one.

I actually am the copyright holder on that. Also the copyright holder of love between an young couple and space pandas. The last one gets me almost no money ever.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It's a shame because this is actually the better written thread, but to prevent this discussion from branching any more wildly, I'm locking this down, you can find the existing thread on the issue here. On which note, I am suing everyone in this thread for participation in a duplicate topic.