Something pissed me off about Games Radar.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

I was listening to their podcast just now and I really like the features on their site so I thought I'd give their podcast a go. Apart from having annoying music and sound effects constantly playing in the background I thought it was ok until...... they slagged off Giantbomb. Now this would be alright if I thought it was a valid reason but they slagged the site off for the 5 star review of MK vs DC and how it got 100%.

The way I see it however is that the 5 star review system is just about whats fun and whats good. If Giantbomb used the 10 system then I very much doubt it would have been a 10 because that system is about perfection and is really justa  7 - 10 scale anyways. What I loved about the 5 star rating for me when I had to make reviews is you could give a game 5 stars and it didn't have to be perfect... just that the game was really fun to play.

Like I think Counter Strike is 5 stars because it's sooo addictive and has given me thousands of hours of play without being bored... something about the game just works. Now if I was using the 10 system I probably wouldn't have given it such a high score because I'd start picking faults outta it and saying things like... "well the weapon balance could be better" or "dust 2 is played wayyy too much"..

It's not about that for me and this is where metacritic really doesn't help sites like Giantbomb or 1up because they changed their review system to get away from things like this. You also have to think that it's one persons opinion and you can't really slag someone off for having an opinion on liking a game and giving valid points to why he or she does.

For example...

I don't like Halo but it got near perfect scores.

I thought the art design was generic and the Master Chief was a boring character and I thought the level design in many places was like a pattern that was pasted over and over again many times.

Someother people do like it but I don't slag them off for having an opinion.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

Wait, wait, wait....WHOOOOA!!!!

Let me make sure I just read that right:  GamesRadar dissed the Bomb?

Dood, it is fucking ON!!!

Link to the podcast and timepoint for diss plox.
albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By albedos_shadow
jakob187 said:
"Wait, wait, wait....WHOOOOA!!!!

"
MK announcer voice: GET READY! INTERNET FIGHT!
ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
albedos_shadow said:
"jakob187 said:
"Wait, wait, wait....WHOOOOA!!!!

"
MK announcer voice: GET READY! INTERNET FIGHT!
"
Jeff's gonna perform mad fatalities on GR :P
sionweeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By sionweeks

HOLY FUCK HERE IT GOES!!!! THE FIRST GIANTBOMB FIGHT!!!!! Holy crap, I hope this gets good.  GBC, PLEASE diss Games Radar tomorrow!  No one disses the 5 star rating.  This site is about community, and not money, which Games Radar clearly don't seem to understand.  Please link me to the podcast and the timepoint, because I REALLY want to know what they have said.

NO ONE DISSES THE FUCKING BOMB, IT IS OOOONNNNNN!!!!  FATALITYYYYYYYY!!!!!

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
sionweeks said:
"HOLY FUCK HERE IT GOES!!!! THE FIRST GIANTBOMB FIGHT!!!!! Holy crap, I hope this gets good.  GBC, PLEASE diss Games Radar tomorrow!  No one disses the 5 star rating.  This site is about community, and not money, which Games Radar clearly don't seem to understand.  Please link me to the podcast and the timepoint, because I REALLY want to know what they have said.

NO ONE DISSES THE FUCKING BOMB, IT IS OOOONNNNNN!!!!  FATALITYYYYYYYY!!!!!"
I think someone hasn't had there wheaties this morning 
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187

All I know...is I'm gonna go fucking Kabal on this shit!!!  TEST YOUR MIGHT, MUTHAFUCKAS!!!

I mean, when I see the five-star come up, that means anywhere between an 80-100 for me.  That doesn't mean it's a perfect score, goddammit!  That means that it's just an amazing fucking game that is worth putting the money out to buy!!!  So the fact that these fucking SKID MARKS over at GamesRadar would even try to knock on Jeff's review is bullshit!  I mean, I doubted the dood at first, too, given that he's a fuckin' MK nut!!!  However, that just gives me more warrant to his review now, because if it was a shitty MK game, he would DEFINITELY be the person to let us know!!!
AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By AkumaX

I want to hear these comments in context, they were more likely hating on how Metacritic translates the scores from how you described it. I'll give it a listen though.

Besides, the Giant Bomb guys are far too balanced and laid back to retaliate or diss GamesRadar (assuming there were some) in the BombCast.

sionweeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sionweeks
jakob187 said:
"All I know...is I'm gonna go fucking Kabal on this shit!!!  TEST YOUR MIGHT, MUTHAFUCKAS!!!
I mean, when I see the five-star come up, that means anywhere between an 80-100 for me.  That doesn't mean it's a perfect score, goddammit!  That means that it's just an amazing fucking game that is worth putting the money out to buy!!!  So the fact that these fucking SKID MARKS over at GamesRadar would even try to knock on Jeff's review is bullshit!  I mean, I doubted the dood at first, too, given that he's a fuckin' MK nut!!!  However, that just gives me more warrant to his review now, because if it was a shitty MK game, he would DEFINITELY be the person to let us know!!!
"
EXACTLY!!!! HE FUCKING LOVES MK TO DEATH!!! HE would be the one to point out a junk MK game, because he loves it so GOD DAMNED MUCH!!!  I hope, LIKE YOU AND I (AND LOADS OF OTHERS) THE GBC HAS A SEGMENT ON THIS MESS THAT GR ARE TALKING!!!!! ARGH I want this to go OFF!!!!
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jakob187
LINK
Still looking for the time spot...
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OOOOHHH IT'S ON NOW, these bitches have no idea, 

FINISH THEM GIANT BOMB CREW, FAAATAALLITTYYY !!!! ( get them rip cages flying)
ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
addictedtopinescent said:
"OOOOHHH IT'S ON NOW, these bitches have no idea, 
"
wow alot of you darn kids have anger problems :P 
but seriously you silly people are hyping this thing up as some sort of showdown its :
Ludacris
Ludacris
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By OmegaPirate
ZombieHunter said:
"addictedtopinescent said:
"
but seriously you silly people are hyping this thing up as some sort of showdown its :
Ludacris
Ludacris
"
THAT PICTURE ONLY ADDS TO MY RAGE!!!!!!!

RARRRGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*bursts into flames*
ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

Lol ^

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Milkman

I was looking for the time spot until I heard that girl talk. Some people just should not do podcasts.

addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZombieHunter said:
"
Ludacris
Ludacris
"
Well im only joking, tho thats a stupid thing to say (what games radar said.)
OmegaPirate said:
"ZombieHunter said:
"
Ludacris
Ludacris
"

*bursts into flames*
"
SUPER SAYIAN FUSION BITCHES, 

sry mind fuck there
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jakob187

Me and some buddies are going to be starting a podcast soon!!!

AND WE WILL NOT BE MINDLESSLY DISSING ON THE AMAZING GIANT BOMB WHEN WE FUCKING MAKE IT!!!

KUNG LAO HAT SLICE FATALITY @ GAMESRADAR!!!  FLAWLESS VICTORY!!!
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OmegaPirate
addictedtopinescent said:
"ZombieHunter said:
"
Ludacris
Ludacris
"
Well im only joking, tho thats a stupid thing to say (what games radar said.)
OmegaPirate said:
"ZombieHunter said:
"
Ludacris
Ludacris
"

*bursts into flames*
"
SUPER SAYIAN FUSION BITCHES, 

sry mind fuck there
"
No apology necessary my friend :) let me just get my scouter out to check :P
Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Thrawn1

They aren't trying to pick a fight, they just disagree with the review score.

it's just a matter of taste, really. mk vs dc is averaging a 77 on metacritic right now. people have reason to be skeptical of jeff's review. for people who don't like "insane fighting games," mk vs dc is a piece of shit. for people who do like those games, like jeff, (and myself) the game is awesome. when i heard this podcast yesterday, i didn't hate it, because they do make valid points. (such as the ridiculous voice acting) you just have to filter people's opinions about video games.

btw: gamesradar is a really great site, and has a really great podcast. they definately have a different preference of video games than the giantbomb staff has, but they are funny as hell.

PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PitifullPete

Then no man-love for games radar it is.

sionweeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sionweeks
Thrawn said:
"

here's something everyone should know: gamesradar does their podcasts while drunk. enough said. they aren't trying to pick a fight, they just disagree with the review score.

it's just a matter of taste, really. mk vs dc is averaging a 77 on metacritic right now. people have reason to be skeptical of jeff's review. for people who don't like "insane fighting games," mk vs dc is a piece of shit. for people who do like those games, like jeff, (and myself) the game is awesome. when i heard this podcast yesterday, ididn't hate it, because they do make valid points. you just have to filter people's opinions about video games.

"
I'm just taking it seriously because it's funny. GR are fine, and their podcasts are funny.  I just like taking part in online fights!
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By OmegaPirate
sionweeks said:
"Thrawn said:
"

here's something everyone should know: gamesradar does their podcasts while drunk. enough said. they aren't trying to pick a fight, they just disagree with the review score.

it's just a matter of taste, really. mk vs dc is averaging a 77 on metacritic right now. people have reason to be skeptical of jeff's review. for people who don't like "insane fighting games," mk vs dc is a piece of shit. for people who do like those games, like jeff, (and myself) the game is awesome. when i heard this podcast yesterday, ididn't hate it, because they do make valid points. you just have to filter people's opinions about video games.

"
I'm just taking it seriously because it's funny. GR are fine, and their podcasts are funny.  I just like taking part in online fights!"
Yeah we just letting off some heat, having a bit of fun -boys being boys, there aint no showers and towel fights online, so this is how we do it!!!
roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By roushimsx

Who cares? So they don't get the review system (most people seem not to). So what?

People need to abandon the mentality of the 10 point review system and adopt the 5 star system used at places like here, Gamespy and Netflix. Either you hate it, don't like it, like it, really like it or love it. Why bother trying to break it down further? Why bother trying to take a mess of various review systems and try to quantify them on a 100 point scale like Metacritic or GameRankings? Rotton Tomatoes has it right: ratio of positive reviews to negative reviews.

Hrml. I'm going back to snapping screenshots.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jakob187
roushimsx said:
"Who cares? So they don't get the review system (most people seem not to). So what?

People need to abandon the mentality of the 10 point review system and adopt the 5 star system used at places like here, Gamespy and Netflix. Either you hate it, don't like it, like it, really like it or love it. Why bother trying to break it down further? Why bother trying to take a mess of various review systems and try to quantify them on a 100 point scale like Metacritic or GameRankings? Rotton Tomatoes has it right: ratio of positive reviews to negative reviews.

Hrml. I'm going back to snapping screenshots."
Rotten Tomatoes does have a good system, but even that is flawed.  I mean, look at some of the people they include.  How are you going to get a fair review of a horror film from a family-oriented website or Christian watchdogs?  Yet they'll count those reviews towards the overall pool.  Nonetheless, it's a pretty good system.
As for people not being angered about this, I truly AM angered about this.  The fact that they would just blatantly come out and blast these guys just because they liked the game and use a different rating system than them is fucking ignorant.  Moreover, it's acting like douchebags...even if they ARE drunk.  I mean, hell, the GB guys got drunk in their preview for Age of Booty, and you didn't see them saying "FUCK YOU, GAMESPOT!" or "EAT MY ASSHOLE, IGN!".  Seriously...it's just stupid and relatively unprofessional to pull that shit.
ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
DualReaver said:
"Do you know what pisses me off? Their stupid name. Seriously, GAMES RADAR, what the fuck is that?"
i thought you were jayge for a moment you damn icon ninja ! 
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jakob187 said:
"roushimsx said:
"Who cares? So they don't get the review system (most people seem not to). So what?

Hrml. I'm going back to snapping screenshots."
Rotten Tomatoes does have a good system, but even that is flawed.  I mean, look at some of the people they include.  How are you going to get a fair review of a horror film from a family-oriented website or Christian watchdogs?  Yet they'll count those reviews towards the overall pool.  Nonetheless, it's a pretty good system.
As for people not being angered about this, I truly AM angered about this.  The fact that they would just blatantly come out and blast these guys just because they liked the game and use a different rating system than them is fucking ignorant.  Moreover, it's acting like douchebags...even if they ARE drunk.  I mean, hell, the GB guys got drunk in their preview for Age of Booty, and you didn't see them saying "FUCK YOU, GAMESPOT!" or "EAT MY ASSHOLE, IGN!".  Seriously...it's just stupid and relatively unprofessional to pull that shit.
"
Yeah that system is good, but a review will never be perfect, some people like crap games or crap movies,  you can never have a perfect review system, and like I said before someone will always be there too bitch.
Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Thrawn1
OmegaPirate said:
"sionweeks said:
"Thrawn said:
"

"
I'm just taking it seriously because it's funny. GR are fine, and their podcasts are funny.  I just like taking part in online fights!"
Yeah we just letting off some heat, having a bit of fun -boys being boys, there aint no showers and towel fights online, so this is how we do it!!!"
i know, but there are some people here who are taking it seriously. i really like gamesradar, i don't want their reputation to be ruined.
Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Not_Rage

Did they actually mention Giant Bomb by name?

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Thrawn1
Not_Rage said:
"Did they actually mention Giant Bomb by name?"

yes. they say jeff specifically. but read my earlier post for clarification.
misfit119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By misfit119

I'll say the same thing on both forum threads just to make it so that my message is clear. I love GiantBomb, I like the way user created content is managed. I love GamesRadar and would love to work with those guys there someday.

However this is exactly the sort of crap that starts internet drama. It's also why I firmly believe in the fact that people who work for one gaming site need to really keep their gobs shut when it comes to directly naming other websites or reviewers. Even if they mean it as a joke the fans aren't always as bright nor does the situation look very good at times. Like this.

But let's look at the situation as it stands.

Jeff seems to be totally enamored with Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, a situation I don't understand at all. But he gave the game a really high score while almost nobody agrees with it. The site stays the same as its normal self and the world moves on.

GamesRadar gives the game a near perfect score, something very few other reviewers seem to agree with. Something I personally don't agree with at all. However the site is fully skinned with Tomb Raider Underworld everywhere.

Now let's see, which of these two sounds a bit more fishy? Of course it's easily broken down to a matter of opinions but if you're going to be a smarta$$ don't laugh at someone for pissing in the wind while crapping on your own shoes. Sure, it's a joke and meant to be poking fun at something. But when Eidos is obviously giving you money to pimp their game and you give it a very high score, that isn't the time to directly address another reviewer for giving a game an abnormally high score. It could easily be pointed out that the whole Jeff situation at GS was due to an oddly low score while it was skinned by Eidos, the exact same company from this situation. A smarmy person could easily accuse the GamesRadar stuff of pimping the game so as to avoid any... incidents.

Personally I don't care. Neither game appeals to me in the slightest, small play time with both left me with a bad taste in my mouth. But this drama is really overblown.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy fucking shit, I just visited Games Radar too have a looksee what all the hubbub was about and could taht site have anymore ads?
Oh wait, yeah, it tried getting some pop ups against em as well.
Just from their involvement in this new Tomb Raider fiasco, the general layout of their site and how these simpletons manage to throw stones in glass houses, I'm wishing them bankruptcy and uncurable illness. A pox on their house!

tokyo_jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By tokyo_jesus

I like their podcast and  can understand if they didn't agree with Jeff's review, but from what I could tell,  they hadn't even read the review or played the game, they were just judging the whole review based on the score which is wrong.

ClusterShart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ClusterShart

As Queen of TalkRadar, i have to say to all of you: Get a Life. Who cares what drunk men say? If you don't like it, don't listen to it. this BS happens every time someone puts up a questionable review, and then comes the articles about how we can only trust reviews from *Enter site here*.

To sum it all up, WHO CARES WHAT CHRIS,BRETT, AND MIKEL SAY?
Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Thrawn1
ClusterShart said:
"As Queen of TalkRadar, i have to say to all of you: Get a Life. Who cares what drunk men say? If you don't like it, don't listen to it. this BS happens every time someone puts up a questionable review, and then comes the articles about how we can only trust reviews from *Enter site here*.
"

can it be.......clustershart!?!?
misfit119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By misfit119
ClusterShart said:
"As Queen of TalkRadar, i have to say to all of you: Get a Life. Who cares what drunk men say? If you don't like it, don't listen to it. this BS happens every time someone puts up a questionable review, and then comes the articles about how we can only trust reviews from *Enter site here*.
"
Queen of TalkRadar? Ugh, anyways...

If you want to be a balls to the wall fanboy then that's fine but don't come to another site telling everyone to just agree with you and leave the issue be. They shouldn't be rambling about other websites on their sites official podcast. Because then it's not about Chris, Brett and Mikel it's games radar, the website, talking trash about someone in particular. I know someone like you doesn't care about little details like facts, public perception and such but that's how these things work and why they shouldn't be pointing at people like they did.

However this:

I'm wishing them bankruptcy and uncurable illness. A pox on their house!

I really hope you're joking. The pox line makes it sound that way but one dudes opinion isn't worth getting pissy over an entire site.
AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By AkumaX

I like GamesRadar, but it's very immature sometimes. The podcast is the same, interesting content with almost zero consideration or moderation, but funny and enjoyable. They just don't give a shit, simple as.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By ch13696

OMFG... are they serious. I will be damned if anyone starts harassing me for my opinion. Last I checked Game Informer gave MK vs DC an 8.5 / 10. Hell even a small site like GamersHell gave it a 9.5 / 10. Why doesn't GamesRadar go after them. I'll tell you why. Because GamesRadar is jealous of the fact that GiantBomb gets way more attention than that site. And I checked the time on the podcast and its at 41:25.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

/rez PapaLazarou

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Thrawn1
ch13696 said:
"OMFG... are they serious. I will be damned if anyone starts harassing me for my opinion. Last I checked Game Informer gave MK vs DC an 8.5 / 10. Hell even a small site like GamersHell gave it a 9.5 / 10. Why doesn't GamesRadar go after them. I'll tell you why. Because GamesRadar is jealous of the fact that GiantBomb gets way more attention than that site. And I checked the time on the podcast and its at 41:25."

did you even listen to it? all the way through?