algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By algertman

@Vinny_Says said:

I bet it's some weird shit that will have everyone on the internet confused as to why it wasn't the announcement of the PS4. Probably some streaming thing that has to do with gaikai.

Well duh it's some weird shit. It's Sony. I expect return of crying baby.

I'm pretty sure it's not the PS4. They said they would let MS fire the shots in the war.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Yeah it's most definitely a new console announcement. The trailer they showed would not make sense for anything else. 

And for those dwelling on the fact that Kaz said the announcement would come after MS revealed the new Xbox it's all part of their plan. Say that, discourage fans, slip this teaser, everyone talks Playstation.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#53  Edited By musubi

@0blivion said:

SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKERS ITS A NEW VITA

No but seriously, I don't think Sony can afford to jump the gun and announce the PS4 first.

I think that is exactly what they NEED to do. Think about it. Its fucking Febuary what the hell else is anyone talking about in Video game land right now? Nothing. All eyes would be on them. And that is exactly what they want. Also, look at how coming out early helped Xbox last gen. I think Sony wants that.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By algertman

2 more sticks on the back of the Vita and a price raise of $50.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By uhtaree

I want what that teaser is selling.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By redcream

Sony bringing on the hype!

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Voxus

@Demoskinos said:

@0blivion said:

SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKERS ITS A NEW VITA

No but seriously, I don't think Sony can afford to jump the gun and announce the PS4 first.

I think that is exactly what they NEED to do. Think about it. Its fucking Febuary what the hell else is anyone talking about in Video game land right now? Nothing. All eyes would be on them. And that is exactly what they want. Also, look at how coming out early helped Xbox last gen. I think Sony wants that.

I'm looking at it from Microsofts prospective. I honestly expect the Vita to be one of the keynote topics of this console. Both in terms of how they are going to make the Vita appeal to people who don't like Persona 4 and crossplay functionality with the PS4.

I see Microsoft touting their tablets integration with the new Xbox. Now, if Microsoft reacts the way the should from the PS4 announcement, they'll cut a deal with Apple (if they haven't already) for the "smartglass" support they talked about on their own tablets, except it'll be on the iPad.

Also, I expect Sony to unveil their new Playstation Network Service. Then, Microsoft will one up them by offering a service similar to PS+ and improving/iterating on their already superior xbox live service.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By algertman

It will be the 10th anniversary of the Great White concert where 100 people died.

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By Yodasdarkside

Although the video is sufficiently intriguing, I'd be stunned if it was the PS4 announcement. It's much more likely to be details of the Gaikai arrangement, possibly with how it will roll out on the next generation of consoles, but it's unlikely to be the PS4 itself - there's no way they would do anything that might torpedo sales of The Last of Us, God of War Ascension, Bioshock Infinite or Deadly Premonition to name a few.

Then again, it's Sony. Anything is possible.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#60  Edited By rachelepithet

I actually would much rather have a $150 Vita redesign with thinner body, bigger thumb sticks, better battery life, and PS+ for a year included. Then I can justify buying the single game ill ever want to play on it, Persona 4.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By PillClinton

It's confirmed, guys. It's a Sony announcement.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#62  Edited By butano

@SomeJerk said:

Rumors talk of Sony and MS kinda being in cahoots with presentations, hardware specifications. MS have some kind of presentation between now and then.

Sony's doing a redo of Move. They'll call it Natal.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ravensword

Very excite.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By algertman

If this isn't PS4 I expect NeoGAF to be on suicide watch.

jjm494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By jjm494

There going to announce that there going to announce the ps4 at E3.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Shookems

If this isn't PS4, they fucked up

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

What are the odds of them announcing a PS3 price drop at this?

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#68  Edited By warxsnake

Hopefully with more than 512mb of vram this time, and not outdated out of the gate please. 

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By SSully

Well they didn't have any creepy babies staring at me in that video, so they are on a good footing so far.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ravensword

Is this an actual press conference or something?

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By PillClinton

@warxsnake said:

Hopefully with more than 512mb of vram this time, and not outdated out of the gate please.

I though I heard somewhere it would be like 4 GB, or maybe that's the next Xbox, or maybe that's just system ram. I dunno, but I think they may be anticipating and planning for longer generations now, after how fucking long this one's been going. I hope so at least.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ravensword

According to rumored specs it's supposed to be, on paper at least, fairly more capable than the rumored next Xbox. But....we all know how that worked out last time. If Sony can make the thing easy to dev for, then I'm all in.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By BigBoss1911
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ravensword

God, I remember that ff13 nonsense. That and the DMC 4 petition.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Huey2k2 said:

I am inclined to think it is probably something to do with the Vita, announcing a next gen console in February seems like very strange timing, and the Vita needs something big to get it going.

That said I feel like Sony needs some positive buzz right now, I love my PS3 but I feel like it has been mostly a failure for them, especially considering how successful the PS2 and PS1 were.

They unveiled the vita in January, so having a big Sony event in February doesn't seem too weird.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#76  Edited By recroulette

Betting that this is an announcement that the PlayStation 4 will be properly revealed at a later date.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#77  Edited By AuthenticM

This is totally the PS4. Hype !

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By BigBoss1911

This is a quote from the Wall Street Journal, take it for what you will.

Sony Corp. is planning to unveil its next-generation home videogame console during a February event, showing off a successor to its current PlayStation 3 system.

The Japanese electronics giant Thursday unveiled plans for a special PlayStation-themed event set for Feb. 20, teasing fans to "see the future" at the event. People familiar with the matter have said the new device will make its debut there, beating Microsoft Corp. to the punch in announcing its own next-generation game machine.

Sony's device will be released later this year, these people said, and will spar against Microsoft's own machine, which is also expected to be released by the holidays.

Sony's updated console's arrival comes as the console videogame industry has entered a tailspin. Sales of new videogames, consoles and accessories at U.S. retail shops fell 22% in December when compared with the same time a year prior, according to surveys by industry watcher NPD Group.

In another sign of the difficult environment for traditional videogame machines, Nintendo Co. slashed sales forecasts for its new home console, the Wii U, earlier this week. After launching its first new home console in six years in November, Nintendo said Wii U sales disappointed during the holiday shopping season. The company is now forecasting plans to sell 4 million units versus an earlier estimate for 5.5 million units.

The videogame industry is undergoing a sea change. While videogames used to be limited to dedicated game machines and personal computers, the proliferation of smartphones and other Internet connected devices is opening the floodgates to free or inexpensive games.

Such shifts in consumer behavior and the aging consoles—the Xbox 360 debuted in 2005 and the PS3 a year later—are weighing on game sales, which have contracted every month since December of 2011. Further, Electronic Arts Inc. said the console industry's packaged goods sales fell by about a fifth last year.

In a nod to the changes afoot in the industry, Sony is planning to incorporate more social gaming aspects into the new machine, people familiar with the matter said. Also, while hardware improvements were a key focus of past console upgrades, Sony is more focused this time on the changes in how users interact with the machine, these people said.

When developing the PlayStation, Sony had considered removing its optical disk drive, opting instead to require gamers to download titles over the Internet, people familiar with the matter said. But concerns over the size of videogame files, and slow Web connections in some countries led Sony to scrap the plan, they added. Microsoft made a similar decision for its console as well.

Complicating the design of the new device will be the likely inclusion of chips designed by Advanced Micro Devices Inc., which people familiar with the matter said have been used in prototypes. The chip is separate from the technology Sony currently relies upon for its PlayStation 3, known as the Cell chip, which was developed jointly with International Business Machines Corp. and Toshiba Corp. The move would both introduce compatibility concerns with existing games, built to run on the Cell chip, while also ending a long-running partnership with Nvidia Corp., which supplies graphics chips for the current PlayStation.

In Sony's efforts to beef up its videogame offerings, it purchased Gaikai Inc. for $380 million last year. The company lets gamers play visually sophisticated games through a Web browser, without the need for specialized hardware or graphics circuits. Gaikai's technology runs games in a data center and then streams the images over the Internet.

The PlayStation 3 was a technological marvel when it was released in November 2006. While it has sold more than 70 million units since its debut, the PS3 didn't dominate the industry in the way that its predecessors did. Initially, the machines gave consumers sticker shock, launching two models at $500 and $600. Even at that price, the console was selling at a loss, forcing the company to incur massive losses.

Over time, Sony brought down the PS3's price and improved the machine's profit margins, but it still trails Nintendo's Wii and Microsoft's Xbox 360 in overall units shipped.

Snigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Snigs

@RecSpec said:

Betting that this is an announcement that the PlayStation 4 will be properly revealed at a later date.

Ooooo. An announcement of an announcement of an announcement. I hear "meta" all the rage these days.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Dalai

Yep, the PS4... bundled with a new Genji/Ridge Racer crossover game.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By ravensword

I wonder if they'll actually display it or announce pricing. Probaly e3. But they should totally do what MS did with the 360 MTV thing and just have a giant galla event for it.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By algertman

$599!

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Lord_Xp

No way. PlayStation 4 will be announced during E3 with a massive amount of info on it to everyone all at once. If it did get announced this early then it better come out earlier than anticipated.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By algertman

Nintendo should announce Retro's new game the same day just for the hell of it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#85  Edited By crusader8463

It's a Vita redesign!

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By cthomer5000

I can't see what a PS4 announcement gains them at this point. Wouldn't it just give Microsoft time to both react to anything that comes out, and steal their thunder at E3? At that point media coverage will tilt in their (MS) favor since Sony will have already drawn a lot of attention months earlier.

Unless they've got some crazy plan to release earlier?

While i would like a system announcement, I would bet on something less exciting. I mean, we know another system is coming, so perhaps it will be something that confirms it's existence while propping up the Vita? Like specifially highlighting that the VIta will be usable as a controller with it or something? Just sort of typing my thoughts here. This does feel like more of the time to make a Vita push since that will 100% get buried at E3 if they do anything there.

If they can do something that breathes a little life into the Vita while perhaps hooking people into the PS4 by stating that they will work together in some way... maybe that's worth doing in February?

Either way, sort of excited to hit the final stretch of hype and rumor.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#87  Edited By Branthog

More promotion for the "future" of the playstation store.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#88  Edited By buft

@JayEH said:

Looks like "we'll let microsoft announce first" won't happen.... Until tomorrow when Microsoft announces they're event for Feb 19th

haha wouldnt that be one for the books

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#89  Edited By FluxWaveZ
Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Kerned

@BigBoss1911 said:

This is a quote from the Wall Street Journal, take it for what you will.

Also, whilehardware improvementswerea key focus of past console upgrades, Sony ismore focused this time on the changes in how users interact with the machine, these people said.

No no no. I do NOT like the sound of that. Not one bit.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By BigBoss1911

@FluxWaveZ said:

This will be live streamed, Kotaku confirms.

Then its gotta be a ps4 announcement, I cant see it being anything else.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#92  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@BigBoss1911 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

This will be live streamed, Kotaku confirms.

Then its gotta be a ps4 announcement, I cant see it being anything else.

Well, The Wall Street Journal is pretty confident it is, so yeah.

Edit: Oh wait, you already posted that. Guess it's just more proof then.

angouri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By angouri

My dream: the PS4 drops the Foreman Grill look for a more PS2 look.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By GaspoweR

Realistically, I think this might be more of an announcement possibly of their improved digital service and improved integration with the current Playstation hardware (Vita, PS3) and possibly a hardware redesign of the Vita. I'm not sure that announcing a next generation console this soon after a third hardware redesign less than 6 months prior to this would make sense but I'm guessing the buzz surrounding this have been incredibly high for so long now that it is still a possibility.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Damian

Subliminal 4's all over that shit. It's clearly PS4 time. Bet they announce price and everything.

I predict $444.

Man, I hope that crisp, spooky breath at the end is the boot-up noise.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By mellotronrules

i'm hoping it's an announcement re: what they've done with the gaikai tech. DREAM SCENARIO: they announce an updated psn, where your subscription now includes streaming access to the entirety of the psn catalogue. that's a pipe dream, but even if it's streaming access (a la carte) to facilitate full backwards compatibility- I'M IN.

JDillinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By JDillinger

It's PS4. You have to be an idiot to think otherwise, then again, this is the Giant Bomb forums.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

I going with PS4 announcement but giving very little details. Definitely no price. Just that it's coming and expect to see more at E3.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By RE_Player1

@algertman: You've added nothing to this thread. I'm amazed how you troll yet are a subscriber. You must really love baiting people, like myself, to respond. End.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#100  Edited By musubi

LOL at everyone getting excited. Its obviously just Playstation Move 2.0.